• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

Ausgirl

Yeah, if you're using a DS Lite or DS Original, start the game about one second before, so if bit's 00:00:30, 00:00

RNGing is much easier on Black/White 1 then 2, if you have Black or White 1, I would use that. And yes, you need Chatots, at least, it's the easiest way I know of. If you don't have one or a Generation IV game, just ask for one in the Generation V trade forum.

Finding your parameters is also easier because of there being fewer Timer0s.
I find it easier to breed Pokemon than to find them in the wild grass, but that's my personal preference, and it takes a little while to figure out. (I actually have no idea how to get the right Pokemon when RNGing in the grass xD)

Anything else?

Does that mean that it's easier to rng shiny flawless eggs in BW than in BW2?

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Does that mean that it's easier to rng shiny flawless eggs in BW than in BW2?

Eggs are impossible to RNG in BW2. The way the game seeds eggs makes it impossible. Your first egg will always have the same IVs every time you boot the game. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I thought it was possible in BW1 though?

You can do it in BW1, there's just a few NPC's that throw off your frame. No big deal though.
Stick to B/W1 for Eggs. And for everything if you can. From my understanding RNGing in B/W2 is a pain in the *** (I haven't started it yet but I will this weekend.)

You can do it in BW1, there's just a few NPC's that throw off your frame. No big deal though.
Stick to B/W1 for Eggs. And for everything if you can. From my understanding RNGing in B/W2 is a pain (I haven't started it yet but I will this weekend.)

Good luck with that... I gave up. I'm not entirely sure I was doing it right, but I think so..

I had no problem RNGing my Genesect pretty much, but Reshiram... I never did it. I don't know what was happening there..

EDIT: I'm trying to RNG a Ditto now, with specific IVs. I know how to get rid of the fog. I actually got a shiny one, but the IVs didn't fit. Am I supposed to do something else to change the IVs? Is there a PIDRNG and an IV frame?
I had no luck finding the seed I needed on Standard Seed.

Last edited:
Stick to B/W1 for Eggs. And for everything if you can. From my understanding RNGing in B/W2 is a pain in the *** (I haven't started it yet but I will this weekend.)

Nah, BW2 isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, the Timer0 troll can be annoying, but normally you can get what you want within a couple tries. Only time I've found it to be a real pain in the *** is while doing Entralink abuse.

Ausgirl

Well I've been trying to find a low frame to catch a jolly shiny near-flawless cobalion but I keep getting high frames so I think I'll stick with the one I got on my most recent search. This time I got one with a target frame on 701 with a starting frame on 46. However I'm still slightly confused about the calculation bit. I got the following calculation 701-46=655.

Now I want to check if I understand the advancements properlly. Based on what I got above I need to advance my frame by walking 128 steps with five pokemon in my party and that each turn is worth 2 steps. Is this correct?

I also got a shiny frame of 301. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that -how does that fall into the above equation?

Also there is a wondering npc near cobalion. It's one of the rangers and she keeps walking around the rock in the grass. Should I be counting how many steps she takes? Cos she does about 5 360 degree turns. Although the pattern is the same she moves quite fast and I'm just wondering if it's even possible to even RNG with her there in the first place.

Thanks for your help guys!

Also there is a wondering npc near cobalion. It's one of the rangers and she keeps walking around the rock in the grass. Should I be counting how many steps she takes? Cos she does about 5 360 degree turns. Although the pattern is the same she moves quite fast and I'm just wondering if it's even possible to even RNG with her there in the first place.

Of course it's possible to RNG with her there, although I don't know why you're bothering to watch her move (she's not actually the one who advances the PIDRNG, the actual WNPCs are further down). Mash A as fast as you can to see what PID frame you get, then do the difference in chatter flips, and you should get your shiny Cobalion.

Ausgirl

Of course it's possible to RNG with her there, although I don't know why you're bothering to watch her move (she's not actually the one who advances the PIDRNG, the actual WNPCs are further down). Mash A as fast as you can to see what PID frame you get, then do the difference in chatter flips, and you should get your shiny Cobalion.

Well ignoring the ranger I'm still confused about the different frames -the target frame and the starter frame I understand now. However I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do with the shiny frame. How does that add into the calculation?

Here's some screen shots (click on the images to increase size) of the shiny nearflawless seed I'm trying to hit:

Time finder window:

Main window showing starting frame:

And finally the main window with the shiny seed:

I just need help tryng to figure out the calculations so that I can advance correctly.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Well ignoring the ranger I'm still confused about the different frames -the target frame and the starter frame I understand now. However I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do with the shiny frame. How does that add into the calculation?

Here's some screen shots (click on the images to increase size) of the shiny nearflawless seed I'm trying to hit:

Time finder window:

Main window showing starting frame:

And finally the main window with the shiny seed:

I just need help tryng to figure out the calculations so that I can advance correctly.
First of all, as I said last time, your IV frame is way too high, there is no way you'll be able to hit an IV frame of 701. Set your max frame to 1, that will make things much easier for you.
And I'm also wondering exactly what you are aiming for regarding the Cobalion, Jolly with HP Ice seems a bit odd to me. With your desired IVs, you should go for Naive, Hasty or Timid instead, or change the IVs to 31/31/31/x/31/31 and keep going for Jolly. But then I'm not a competitive expert, Jolly HP Ice Cobalion might have some desired set that I am unaware of.

One thing I would recommend you to do is to start with something else than Cobalion as it is in an area with many NPCs. If this is your first RNG, I recommend you to start with something that doesn't have any NPCs in its area, Volcarona will work if you haven't caught it yet. Others that meet this condition are Mesprit, Azelf, Heatran, Cresselia and the Regis.

Ausgirl

First of all, as I said last time, your IV frame is way too high, there is no way you'll be able to hit an IV frame of 701. Set your max frame to 1, that will make things much easier for you.
And I'm also wondering exactly what you are aiming for regarding the Cobalion, Jolly with HP Ice seems a bit odd to me. With your desired IVs, you should go for Naive, Hasty or Timid instead, or change the IVs to 31/31/31/x/31/31 and keep going for Jolly. But then I'm not a competitive expert, Jolly HP Ice Cobalion might have some desired set that I am unaware of.

One thing I would recommend you to do is to start with something else than Cobalion as it is in an area with many NPCs. If this is your first RNG, I recommend you to start with something that doesn't have any NPCs in its area, Volcarona will work if you haven't caught it yet. Others that meet this condition are Mesprit, Azelf, Heatran, Cresselia and the Regis.

I suppose I could try Volcarona first if it's easier -it would certainly make a very nice shiny!

I'm honestly confused on the whole IV Frame thing. Is there a PIDRNG and an IV frame and I need to manipulate both of them? I managed to manipulate the PIDRNG frame and get a shiny Ditto, but the IVs were all wrong. Also I was getting some Initial frame advancements in the Chasm, I think. It was moving a Chatot pitches ahead a couple frames, following on from that, I did what I thought was hitting my seed, and got a shiny Ditto with bad IVs. (I'm just trying to get a Ditto with good IVs, really)

Could someone explain it to me? I get rid of the fog, save in the grass at the giant chasm, do one or two Chatot advances, and then Sweet Scent. Is there something I'm missing relating to this IV frame?

Kalosian

So long
I'm honestly confused on the whole IV Frame thing. Is there a PIDRNG and an IV frame and I need to manipulate both of them? I managed to manipulate the PIDRNG frame and get a shiny Ditto, but the IVs were all wrong. Also I was getting some Initial frame advancements in the Chasm, I think. It was moving a Chatot pitches ahead a couple frames, following on from that, I did what I thought was hitting my seed, and got a shiny Ditto with bad IVs. (I'm just trying to get a Ditto with good IVs, really)

Could someone explain it to me? I get rid of the fog, save in the grass at the giant chasm, do one or two Chatot advances, and then Sweet Scent. Is there something I'm missing relating to this IV frame?
Yes, the IV Frame and PID Frame are two different things. The PID Frame is advanced by Chatot chatters, and the IV frame is advanced by walking 128 steps with a certain number of Pokemon in your party (the number of Pokemon in your party is what the frame will advance with). If you are having trouble with the IV Frame, I would suggest you to always use an IV frame of 1 at all times when it is possible, it usually makes things much easier.

Yes, the IV Frame and PID Frame are two different things. The PID Frame is advanced by Chatot chatters, and the IV frame is advanced by walking 128 steps with a certain number of Pokemon in your party (the number of Pokemon in your party is what the frame will advance with). If you are having trouble with the IV Frame, I would suggest you to always use an IV frame of 1 at all times when it is possible, it usually makes things much easier.

So if my starting frame is 47 and my seed is on 47? I just hit it? Time to test.

Well it was shiny, but the IVs were never right. Every time it was Ditto it was wrong besides the shininess...

Last edited:

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
In the process of RNGing all my Keldeo.
I am on winter break so I have a decent amount of free time to RNG some things. Getting caught up. Gotta find the parameters to 4 copies of B2/W2 which will be a pain in the ***.

Sorry for asking a noob question, so if the iv frame and the PID frame are separate, can i technically get a wild pokemon with desired iv without chatots since the chatots are mainly to advance the PID frame? Been having trouble getting a chatot to try out the whole process :(

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Sorry for asking a noob question, so if the iv frame and the PID frame are separate, can i technically get a wild pokemon with desired iv without chatots since the chatots are mainly to advance the PID frame? Been having trouble getting a chatot to try out the whole process :(
Yes you can it just won't have a decent nature (most likely)

This is strange. I was informed that there's many timer0 variations in B2/W2. I started calibrating my brother's game (Black 2, in the last Victory Road room before you step outside to get to the Pokemon League) And I've hit the same timer0 3 times in a row. Am I just really lucky or am I doing something wrong? Can you still calibrate in Victory Road? I see no NPCs so I assume I can, unless (by some magic chance) there's a frame variation in this room.
EDIT: also, where is the BEST palce to RNG wondercards in B2/W2?

Last edited:
Yes you can it just won't have a decent nature (most likely)

This is strange. I was informed that there's many timer0 variations in B2/W2. I started calibrating my brother's game (Black 2, in the last Victory Road room before you step outside to get to the Pokemon League) And I've hit the same timer0 3 times in a row. Am I just really lucky or am I doing something wrong? Can you still calibrate in Victory Road? I see no NPCs so I assume I can, unless (by some magic chance) there's a frame variation in this room.
EDIT: also, where is the BEST palce to RNG wondercards in B2/W2?

Nah, you can hit it multiple times, especially if you're using a DS Phat/Lite (the fewest amount of Timer0 variations), and WNPCs have nothing to do with calibration (since you're only going after the IV frame, not PID frame).

Best place to RNG wondercards is Castelia, in BW2.

yea i hit a single timer0 value like 2 or 3 times in a row but when i start to do it several more times i get a variation. :(