• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

Dangertrout

I'm not sure if this has been answered before but from a non-RNG abuser perspective:
In Gen 4, having a Cute Charm pokemon in the lead while REing can raise or lower the chance of encountering shinies in the wild depending on your TID/SID combination.
Does Cute Charm have the same effect in Gen 5? Or has that been changed and Cute Charm will have no effect on a pokemons shinyness?

dewey911p

primus inter pares
I'm not sure if this has been answered before but from a non-RNG abuser perspective:
In Gen 4, having a Cute Charm pokemon in the lead while REing can raise or lower the chance of encountering shinies in the wild depending on your TID/SID combination.
Does Cute Charm have the same effect in Gen 5? Or has that been changed and Cute Charm will have no effect on a pokemons shinyness?

From a non-RNGers perspective, Cute Charm has no effect on shininess in gen 5 like it could in gen 4.

Cute Charm still works, and you can still RNG pokemon using a Cute Charm lead, but it no longer has the effect of giving out so many shiny random pokemon that they become sickening.

Dangertrout

From a non-RNGers perspective, Cute Charm has no effect on shininess in gen 5 like it could in gen 4.

Cute Charm still works, and you can still RNG pokemon using a Cute Charm lead, but it no longer has the effect of giving out so many shiny random pokemon that they become sickening.

thanks! just wanted to make sure it doesn't affect the chances one way or the other =)

SakuraLatias

Objection!
I'm about to RNG a fishing spot on Route 17. IIRC, there's an WNPC on Route 17. Does WNPC advance PIDRNG and/or IV Frame? I remember that walking not only advances the IV Frame, but also advances the PIDRNG. Thanks!

dewey911p

primus inter pares
I'm about to RNG a fishing spot on Route 17. IIRC, there's an WNPC on Route 17. Does WNPC advance PIDRNG and/or IV Frame? I remember that walking not only advances the IV Frame, but also advances the PIDRNG. Thanks!

WNPCs will advance the PIDRNG but not the IVRNG. Your walking will advance the IVRNG every 128 steps, and if you are walking in an area that can generate pokemon, the PIDRNG will advance by an inconsistent number too. If, however, you are walking on an area that does not generate pokemon, say land with no grass next to the water, only the NPC will advance the PIDRNG.

Those pesky WNPCs only advance the PIDRNG, the only event that walking causes the PID to advance is when you walk near grass and the RNG goes off whether or not to trigger a shaking patch/water spot (1 frame per 20 steps if I recall correctly).

EDIT:

WNPCs will advance the PIDRNG but not the IVRNG. Your walking will advance the IVRNG every 128 steps, and if you are walking in an area that can generate pokemon, the PIDRNG will advance by an inconsistent number too. If, however, you are walking on an area that does not generate pokemon, say land with no grass next to the water, only the NPC will advance the PIDRNG.

Dewey you little ninja... but I remember Agonist saying it was (I think) 1 frame per 20 steps, I remember it being a small number since I noticed it when I went to RNG Azelf.

Last edited:

SakuraLatias

Objection!
Those pesky WNPCs only advance the PIDRNG, the only event that walking causes the PID to advance is when you walk near grass and the RNG goes off whether or not to trigger a shaking patch/water spot (1 frame per 20 steps if I recall correctly).

EDIT:

Dewey you little ninja... but I remember Agonist saying it was (I think) 1 frame per 20 steps, I remember it being a small number since I noticed it when I went to RNG Azelf.

Ah! Got it. What about shiny frames? What's the minimum/maximum frame advances to get a shiny Pokemon from a shaking spot?

Ah! Got it. What about shiny frames? What's the minimum/maximum frame advances to get a shiny Pokemon from a shaking spot?

It'll vary depending on your SSF but I wouldn't do any less than 50-80 as the WNPCs and the RNG calls for spots/patches advance the PID frames and you'll have to find your place again after everything was said and done, however I wouldn't do any more than 700. as I'm lazy

SakuraLatias

Objection!
It'll vary depending on your SSF but I wouldn't do any less than 50-80 as the WNPCs and the RNG calls for spots/patches advance the PID frames and you'll have to find your place again after everything was said and done, however I wouldn't do any more than 700. as I'm lazy

At least 75 advances? I'm not going to shoot over 200 advances. Too much advancing. Thanks for the info!!

EDIT: I've noticed that there is no WNPCs where I'm at Route 17 right now. There's a Hiker, but I don't think he moves at all. All Swimmers do advance. I'll try with no WNPCs first. :3

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
At least 75 advances? I'm not going to shoot over 200 advances. Too much advancing. Thanks for the info!!

EDIT: I've noticed that there is no WNPCs where I'm at Route 17 right now. There's a Hiker, but I don't think he moves at all. All Swimmers do advance. I'll try with no WNPCs first. :3

You're might have a hard time with only 200 advances. If there are no NPCs in the area and you are not walking on grass/surfing/in a cave, it might be doable, but you're not giving yourself much room to find the PIDRNG.

SakuraLatias

Objection!
You're might have a hard time with only 200 advances. If there are no NPCs in the area and you are not walking on grass/surfing/in a cave, it might be doable, but you're not giving yourself much room to find the PIDRNG.

And with too many Timer0 to blame, I'll shrink it down to 50-70 range.

MSK

Finally finished bringing all my Arceus out of the DW And with a few weeks to spare!!!
So happy I managed to RNG them all in time (just have the 2 on my main play through carts to RNG from the Entrée Forest) soon I'll have a full set of every type
Actually glad they forced me to do this so quickly as it focused me to work hard on it and get it all done, otherwise I'd probably have carried on doing one every 5-6 months like I was doing.

Thanks to dewey for all your help getting me set properly. I've now got entralink RNG down to a tee :) pity it's come so late in the day lol.

My next task is to RNG the Cover legendaries from Dream Radar but I'm going to need some big help for that!! Anyone have a good guide etc ;)

dmarchu

I have been curious about RNG and I am pretty much interested only in getting a shiny pokemon (don't really care about the IVs or nature at this point).
I have been reading a lot on this topic but there are so many tabs in RNG reporter that I am getting confused.

Keeping in mind that I only care about shininess I believe this is what I need to do:

1) figure out my OT and SID (done)
2) calibrate (done)
3) Use Time finder to generate a bunch of seeds to get X shiny pokemon (select PIDRNG and shiny only) (How is this different from the main window?) (I messed up yesterday since I forgot to set my SID :( )
4) Pick a result, lets say frame 154.
5) Start my game to hit the seed at the specified time: e.g: 9/23/2013 13:54:23
6) open up the summary window, listen to recorded Chatot 153 times. (target frame -1)
7) Use sweet scent
8) shiny should appear :D.

Am I missing something? I don't understand why a lot of the guides tell you to grab the seed and put it back on the main window. I guess I am missing something.

Edit: I also forgot to ask...if it says required lead "cute charm". Do i need to care about this for shininess?

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
I have been curious about RNG and I am pretty much interested only in getting a shiny pokemon (don't really care about the IVs or nature at this point).
I have been reading a lot on this topic but there are so many tabs in RNG reporter that I am getting confused.

Keeping in mind that I only care about shininess I believe this is what I need to do:

1) figure out my OT and SID (done)
2) calibrate (done)
3) Use Time finder to generate a bunch of seeds to get X shiny pokemon (select PIDRNG and shiny only) (How is this different from the main window?) (I messed up yesterday since I forgot to set my SID :( )
4) Pick a result, lets say frame 154.
5) Start my game to hit the seed at the specified time: e.g: 9/23/2013 13:54:23
6) open up the summary window, listen to recorded Chatot 153 times. (target frame -1)
7) Use sweet scent
8) shiny should appear :D.

Am I missing something? I don't understand why a lot of the guides tell you to grab the seed and put it back on the main window. I guess I am missing something.

Edit: I also forgot to ask...if it says required lead "cute charm". Do i need to care about this for shininess?

If you just want a shiny pokemon open up 5th gen time finder > make sure you have the right profile selected so you are using the right parameters > check the shiny only box and put in a low number (if you don't care about IVs, you will find plenty of seeds) > hit generate > pick any seed (if it says you need Cute Charm, you need Cute Charm, but for now you can just ignore those seeds and choose any other one instead) > go to an area with no NPCs, like Cheren's cave in B/W or Dragonspiral Tower in either game > copy the seed into the main window, select PIDRNG (Gen 5) > hit calculate initial PIDRNG frame to get your Starting Frame > Subtract Target Frame from Starting frame > hit seed > do chatot flips > sweet scent > shiny pokemon should appear.

That is the basics of pretty much 85% of all RNGs. Once you get the process down you can add in IVs and nature. The process is the same except for when you search for seeds.

dmarchu

If you just want a shiny pokemon open up 5th gen time finder > make sure you have the right profile selected so you are using the right parameters > check the shiny only box and put in a low number (if you don't care about IVs, you will find plenty of seeds) > hit generate > pick any seed (if it says you need Cute Charm, you need Cute Charm, but for now you can just ignore those seeds and choose any other one instead) > go to an area with no NPCs, like Cheren's cave in B/W or Dragonspiral Tower in either game > copy the seed into the main window, select PIDRNG (Gen 5) > hit calculate initial PIDRNG frame to get your Starting Frame > Subtract Target Frame from Starting frame > hit seed > do chatot flips > sweet scent > shiny pokemon should appear.

That is the basics of pretty much 85% of all RNGs. Once you get the process down you can add in IVs and nature. The process is the same except for when you search for seeds.

Thanks a lot! That clears up quite a few things.
Something I am still confused about:
"hit calculate initial PIDRNG frame to get your Starting Frame"
I am currently getting 53.
I thought my starting frame was always 1?

I am guessing the following is true:
Starting frame for IVRNG is always 1.
Starting frame for PIDRNG is not always 1, but it is always the same for a particular seed.

I keep reading that you should verify your frame and what not before continuing. I don't understand why that is necessary if the above is true.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Thanks a lot! That clears up quite a few things.
Something I am still confused about:
"hit calculate initial PIDRNG frame to get your Starting Frame"
I am currently getting 53.
I thought my starting frame was always 1?

I am guessing the following is true:
Starting frame for IVRNG is always 1.
Starting frame for PIDRNG is not always 1, but it is always the same for a particular seed.

I keep reading that you should verify your frame and what not before continuing. I don't understand why that is necessary if the above is true.

That's correct, starting IVRNG frame will always be 1 and the starting PIDRNG will be different from seed to seed. It will technically always be the same for the same seed, but if there are NPCs in the area they will advance your PIDRNG frame, and that can make it different each time.

As for verifying your seed, the main reason to do that is to ensure that you actually hit the right seed and not a different one. For example, maybe you are aiming for a timer0 value of C7C but you hit C7B instead. If you listen to the chatot pitches to verify your seed you can tell that you hit the wrong timer0 after just a few flips instead of doing over 100 just to find out you are wrong.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Finally finished bringing all my Arceus out of the DW And with a few weeks to spare!!!
So happy I managed to RNG them all in time (just have the 2 on my main play through carts to RNG from the Entrée Forest) soon I'll have a full set of every type
Actually glad they forced me to do this so quickly as it focused me to work hard on it and get it all done, otherwise I'd probably have carried on doing one every 5-6 months like I was doing.

Thanks to dewey for all your help getting me set properly. I've now got entralink RNG down to a tee :) pity it's come so late in the day lol.

My next task is to RNG the Cover legendaries from Dream Radar but I'm going to need some big help for that!! Anyone have a good guide etc ;)

Whoops, I overlooked your post, sorry :p

Anyway, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103548132/RNG/Dream Radar RNG Abuse Guide.pdf RNGer Arron from Smogon drew up a guide for DR abuse using RNGr. As far as I am aware it is the only guide there is. I used it last year to learn and successful do DR abuse, so it's pretty good :p

dmarchu

That's correct, starting IVRNG frame will always be 1 and the starting PIDRNG will be different from seed to seed. It will technically always be the same for the same seed, but if there are NPCs in the area they will advance your PIDRNG frame, and that can make it different each time.

As for verifying your seed, the main reason to do that is to ensure that you actually hit the right seed and not a different one. For example, maybe you are aiming for a timer0 value of C7C but you hit C7B instead. If you listen to the chatot pitches to verify your seed you can tell that you hit the wrong timer0 after just a few flips instead of doing over 100 just to find out you are wrong.

Thanks for your help!
It clarified a lot of things and I was able to get a few shinies this way last night!

Evil Elf

Sand Burial Trainer
Having a bit of trouble RNG'ing a Bold Foongus Egg. I hit the seed time no worries, I've managed to get 3 others down no problems (not looking forward to my 2nd Zorua >_<), so my issue isn't the time.

Aiming for
Foonugs
Male
31/31/31/31/31/31
Effect Spore

Ninja Edit: Not aiming for Shiny, just Bold, Male, Effect Spore and 31 IV's

Results aren't corresponding with the face page of the reporter at all. I've got my Ditto and Foongus stats correct, I've got them inserted correctly, and it's still not working. I also have Ditto parent checked both, when finding the seed time, and when doing the face page.

Anyone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Or are Bold Eggs the mystical no go place :p

Edit: Attempted hatching one of the better eggs from my failed attempts, a 31/31/11/31/11/31 Lonely. But, still can't get any closer to getting my eggs to match, even by keying the freshly hatched into the time finder O_O

Third and Final Edit: Not sure exactly what went wrong with my last seeds, but it seems it wanted a particular month to actually work, or the game decided to play fair o_O Regardless, would like to know what was going wrong. I tried different Months, years, but what ended up happening is it wanted December 2012 for some reason, 2 days of trying pointed out to me it was just a very picky Nature

But I do have my Bold Foongus now :3

Only Shroomish, Zorua and Growlithe to go... Maybe a Gen 3 Zapdos as well :O

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
^ You were probably just hitting the wrong Timer0. No nature is harder to hit compared to any other, so that wasn't a factor. If you had an everstone it would have made seed searching easier. Also, if you add in keypresses and increase the max frame you can find more results. Otherwise, just sounds like you were missing your Timer0