• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*Revamped RNG Discussion/Help Thread [Do not ask about Gen 6 RNG]

KoRayven

There is nothing in the game that can advance the PIDRNG over 1000 frames like that except rain, which isn't an issue inside a cave. Unless you turned on the C-gear and just stood there, the frame probably didn't actually advance 1110 frames. Are you sure you counted right? Got the right ID combo entered into reporter? Did the nature, gender, ability, and pokemon match up to any closer frames?

I am as thoroughly confused as you are. I've done numerous RNG's for nearly every stationary legendary in W2 so I know the ID/SID combo is correct, and even if it wasn't correct, that does not explain the random frame I keep getting. IIRC, Frame 112 is synch Quiet Ability 0 Male at encounter slot 0, while Frame 1222 is non-synch Bold Ability 0 Female at encounter slot 6, which is what I got. In fact, Frame 1222 is the ONLY non-synch Bold Female at encounter slot 6 within three thousand frames. That is why I am so sure it advanced 1110 frames as the alternatives are that it advanced by three THOUSAND frames or more.

As for the other things. Chargestone Cave, near Mistralton entrance (I don't think it is possible for the WNPS to affect me there), not raining, C-gear off. Heck, I even checked to see if it is a location based problem and I tried going to the basement of Chargestone Cave. No dice. I've tried a new seed and I'm still getting gigantic random frame advances. I'll record the data to see if it is a consistent 1110. At least then I can accomplish something.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
I am as thoroughly confused as you are. I've done numerous RNG's for nearly every stationary legendary in W2 so I know the ID/SID combo is correct, and even if it wasn't correct, that does not explain the random frame I keep getting. IIRC, Frame 112 is synch Quiet Ability 0 Male at encounter slot 0, while Frame 1222 is non-synch Bold Ability 0 Female at encounter slot 6, which is what I got. In fact, Frame 1222 is the ONLY non-synch Bold Female at encounter slot 6 within three thousand frames. That is why I am so sure it advanced 1110 frames as the alternatives are that it advanced by three THOUSAND frames or more.

As for the other things. Chargestone Cave, near Mistralton entrance (I don't think it is possible for the WNPS to affect me there), not raining, C-gear off. Heck, I even checked to see if it is a location based problem and I tried going to the basement of Chargestone Cave. No dice. I've tried a new seed and I'm still getting gigantic random frame advances. I'll record the data to see if it is a consistent 1110. At least then I can accomplish something.

I'm pretty sure there are NPCs in Chargestone cave, but that is beside the point as they won't move the frame by 1110. Catch the pokemon you get and upload it to pokecheck. Find the PID in the main window of RNGr and see what frame you actually hit. You might accidently have a Bold Sync up front and didn't realize it or something, but once you find the PID you hit you will know exactly what frame you are on.

KoRayven

I'm pretty sure there are NPCs in Chargestone cave, but that is beside the point as they won't move the frame by 1110. Catch the pokemon you get and upload it to pokecheck. Find the PID in the main window of RNGr and see what frame you actually hit. You might accidently have a Bold Sync up front and didn't realize it or something, but once you find the PID you hit you will know exactly what frame you are on.

Synch's Timid, 100% sure of that, and I'm at the Mistralton entrance with no visible NPCs nearby. Maybe the NPCs outside the cave advance it, I don't know. What I do know is the frame I hit by the process of elimination. The parameters involving the pokemon I got state that, at minimum, it is at Frame 1222. The results are consistent with hitting Frame 1222, and the next viable frame implies I hit Frame ~10k. The Chatot pitches matched perfectly meaning I hit the right seed, the pitch start is similar to the aforementioned seed's starting pitch obtained during calibration, and I advanced the ~60 frames I needed to hit the right frame. Exactly that. I stopped at the pitch right before the frame I wished to hit. I cannot use pokecheck for at least two weeks (using a broadband currently) so I cannot verify the PID. However, I keep referring to Frame 1222 as the frame I hit as it is the most generous available option as the alternatives are far, far more ridiculous.

Besides that, I doubt the NPC, or the weather or whatnot have anything to do with the sudden frame advance. I am RNGing a wild shiny. Apart from the brief time I spend mashing Y, there should be zero time for outside factors to advance my frame, and even then, I should be able to account for it during the Chatot pitches. So, the frame advance MUST occur either during the Sweet Scent animation, or that the aforementioned outside factors advanced my frame while on the Pokemon screen.

I'm not as experienced as you dewey, but please assume that at the very least I know what I am doing. Even if I had a Bold Synchonizer (I did not and it was Bold despite a Timid Synchronizer which narrowed down the possibilities even more) the frames still would've somehow advanced past my target. The problem is consistent even in different locations (I should've added that before. I hit that exact frame three times, twice two steps away from the Mistralton entrance, and once at Chargestone's B3 at the farthest corner south the stairs). I don't think it is a matter random anything advancing the frames, as I have consistently hit that exact seed while changing my own location. I did everything exactly the same, except in a completely different location, and STILL hit that exact, same frame.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
NPCs can advance the PIDRNG even if they are not on screen. If the map is very large then NPCs far away will not advance the PIDRNG, but there are very few places this pertains to, and as far as I know Chargestone cave is not one of them. If I recall correctly the only area in Chargestone cave that did not have NPCs was BF2 in B/W, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is on a retail game cart I assume yes? There really is nothing that I am aware of that could advance the PIDRNG so many frames like that so there has to be something going on somewhere.

KoRayven

NPCs can advance the PIDRNG even if they are not on screen. If the map is very large then NPCs far away will not advance the PIDRNG, but there are very few places this pertains to, and as far as I know Chargestone cave is not one of them. If I recall correctly the only area in Chargestone cave that did not have NPCs was BF2 in B/W, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is on a retail game cart I assume yes? There really is nothing that I am aware of that could advance the PIDRNG so many frames like that so there has to be something going on somewhere.

Yes, retail, US copy. Anyway, I've gotten my shiny Joltiks (Synch didn't work for some reason though it said it would). Through repeated checks, I've determined that my frame increases by a constant amount per frame, but the amount is not at all consistent across the board. In one case, I aimed for frame 89, and found my frame advanced by 5. Therefore, I set my target frame to 84. I hit frame 85. Aimed for frame 85, hit frame 88. Only when I aimed for frame 86 did I reach my target frame. Again, the frame advanced were universally consistent no matter what I did. I tried frame 84 twice to check for consistency, and both times hit frame 85. Same with 89 and 88.

As for the location, IIRC the frame does not advance while in the menu screen, which freezes everything in place. Even using an overworld move shouldn't advance the frame until the end of the move when the freeze stops, right? To add to that, shouldn't the frame advance be consistent given how I did my absolute best to replicate each iteration?

To whit, can you please explain whether or not the PIDRNG can advance while on the menu screen or while Sweet Scenting? Most of my research on my problem says that I should hit the frame then Sweet Scent. What exactly do you do when you try to RNG Wild pokemon, dewey? These would answer so many questions about my problem.

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Yeah, that's just NPCs then. Chargestone cave has an obnoxious number of them and I had the exact same problem when I RNGed a few wild pokemon there. The NPC movement seems to be controlled by the PIDRNG, so if you stop on frame 84 the NPCs will move a certain way and advance the frame, but stopping on frame 85 may make them move another ay and give a different number of advancements. In this fashion you get consistent frame advancements for each PID frame you hit (as in, frame 84 will always advance by 6) but a different number of advancements for a different frame (so that frame 84 will alwaysbe off byt 6, but frame 83 may always be off by 3.) This is most notable when you are in an area like Chargestone cave that has several NPCs there.

As for the sync not working, iirc that is an error in RNGr where the frame before yout target is the frame that determines the nature. If you target frame was 84, frame 83 would have to be syncable for sync to activate. It's a known bug that hasn;t been fixed yet as far as I know.

KoRayven

Yeah, that's just NPCs then. Chargestone cave has an obnoxious number of them and I had the exact same problem when I RNGed a few wild pokemon there. The NPC movement seems to be controlled by the PIDRNG, so if you stop on frame 84 the NPCs will move a certain way and advance the frame, but stopping on frame 85 may make them move another ay and give a different number of advancements. In this fashion you get consistent frame advancements for each PID frame you hit (as in, frame 84 will always advance by 6) but a different number of advancements for a different frame (so that frame 84 will alwaysbe off byt 6, but frame 83 may always be off by 3.) This is most notable when you are in an area like Chargestone cave that has several NPCs there.

As for the sync not working, iirc that is an error in RNGr where the frame before yout target is the frame that determines the nature. If you target frame was 84, frame 83 would have to be syncable for sync to activate. It's a known bug that hasn;t been fixed yet as far as I know.

Finally! Thank you so much for that bit of info. I was operating under the assumption that RNG was bug-free. With this in mind, though, it is likely that in the earlier complaint (where 112 turned to 1222) instead of frame 1222, it is more likely I hit 115 (which is Bold and synchronizable but with a non-sync frame before it) and bumped into that bug.

tonnychen

I have another question: Is it fine that there is another seed with the exact same time and key presses but with different IVs? ._.

I'm checking to see if those are the IVs I'm getting.

EDIT: Another question, sorry! So if I want a pokemon with the same IVs, butI caught a pokemon on that seed, could I set the time back and use it again?

I have another question: Is it fine that there is another seed with the exact same time and key presses but with different IVs? ._.

I'm checking to see if those are the IVs I'm getting.

EDIT: Another question, sorry! So if I want a pokemon with the same IVs, butI caught a pokemon on that seed, could I set the time back and use it again?
The "another seed" thing is most likely Timer0, don't worry about it too much, just make sure the one your seed is for is your most common one. There are 2 values in B/W1, and more than that in B/W2 but the maximum varies depending on your DS model (don't quote me on this though, I'm not 100% sure).

And yes, reusing a seed is fair game in any game you can RNG in.

Djura

99% chance to hit
Hey guys, so this is my first foray into Entralink RNG, and I want to RNG the Arceus from a few years ago. I still haven't claimed it.

Anyway, I'm using this guide, using PPRNG in VMWare Workstation and EonTimer in my Windows OS. I'm stuck at "Timer Setup". How exactly do I find my target delay and my target seconds? My actual delay is 14290 and my target seconds is 43.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Hey guys, so this is my first foray into Entralink RNG, and I want to RNG the Arceus from a few years ago. I still haven't claimed it.

Anyway, I'm using this guide, using PPRNG in VMWare Workstation and EonTimer in my Windows OS. I'm stuck at "Timer Setup". How exactly do I find my target delay and my target seconds? My actual delay is 14290 and my target seconds is 43.

I thought entralink is dead now cuaz 5th gen dream world doesn't work im not sure if some correct me please that entralink rngs cuaz I am not sure i remember someone saying they had to get all there mons out before they shut down >.>

I thought entralink is dead now cuaz 5th gen dream world doesn't work im not sure if some correct me please that entralink rngs cuaz I am not sure i remember someone saying they had to get all there mons out before they shut down >.>

It's not dead; it's more that you can't get anything new without entralink editing. But plenty of people have stuff still in their entralinks.

Djura

99% chance to hit
Yeah, I checked my W1 Entralink and I still have Arceus. Anyway, I figured it out: EonTimer automatically does it for me.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
This MIGHT be off topic and people probably don't look here anymore but heh, might as well post it here anyway, since the shoutbox on Pokecheck is down.

With the shut down of WiFi for the DS/Wii software imminent, I decided I needed to go back and re-obtain the TID/SID combos for all of my 4th/5th gen games. (I'm an idiot and didn't keep track of them). I am using one DS lite for this (I abuse most of my pokes on this DS). I have two internet connections at my house (One is a 4G home router from Verizon, it has a 30 GB data limit and is password encrypted. I'm fairly certain it's not compatible with my DS software. The second connection is the one I use for gaming. It's a Verizon 3G Unlimited USB router hooked up to a Cradlepoint WiFi modem. It is not encrypted. In the past I would use this connection to hook up to pokecheck.)

Long story short, I can't hook up to Pokecheck anymore. I ran the tool on Pokecheck's website to figure out if my ISP was blocking the DNS change and low and behold, it is. None of my 4th gen and 5th gen games will connect to pokecheck's server. They all reroute to the legitimate GTS Server instead.

Can anyone assist me in this? Why is my router blocking the DNS change suddenly? It hasn't done this before. I was able to hook up to Pokecheck a year ago with no issues. If it matters I'm using a different computer than before, I have a DELL Inspiron Laptop running Windows 8. Keep in mind I am not that computer literate; I didn't change any router settings for this to happen. Could anyone with expertise in this assist me?

dewey911p

primus inter pares
This MIGHT be off topic and people probably don't look here anymore but heh, might as well post it here anyway, since the shoutbox on Pokecheck is down.

With the shut down of WiFi for the DS/Wii software imminent, I decided I needed to go back and re-obtain the TID/SID combos for all of my 4th/5th gen games. (I'm an idiot and didn't keep track of them). I am using one DS lite for this (I abuse most of my pokes on this DS). I have two internet connections at my house (One is a 4G home router from Verizon, it has a 30 GB data limit and is password encrypted. I'm fairly certain it's not compatible with my DS software. The second connection is the one I use for gaming. It's a Verizon 3G Unlimited USB router hooked up to a Cradlepoint WiFi modem. It is not encrypted. In the past I would use this connection to hook up to pokecheck.)

Long story short, I can't hook up to Pokecheck anymore. I ran the tool on Pokecheck's website to figure out if my ISP was blocking the DNS change and low and behold, it is. None of my 4th gen and 5th gen games will connect to pokecheck's server. They all reroute to the legitimate GTS Server instead.

Can anyone assist me in this? Why is my router blocking the DNS change suddenly? It hasn't done this before. I was able to hook up to Pokecheck a year ago with no issues. If it matters I'm using a different computer than before, I have a DELL Inspiron Laptop running Windows 8. Keep in mind I am not that computer literate; I didn't change any router settings for this to happen. Could anyone with expertise in this assist me?

If the DNS is being auto directed to the actual GTS it is your ISP, not the router or computer. There is no fix for that since it is set by your ISP. You can try a friends house, public wi-fi (which is usually hit-or-miss, mostly miss from what I hear), change ISPs, or try calling and complaining. Aside from that though, there is nothing you can do when the issue is with the policy of your ISP.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
If the DNS is being auto directed to the actual GTS it is your ISP, not the router or computer. There is no fix for that since it is set by your ISP. You can try a friends house, public wi-fi (which is usually hit-or-miss, mostly miss from what I hear), change ISPs, or try calling and complaining. Aside from that though, there is nothing you can do when the issue is with the policy of your ISP.
So it's Verizon's issue? This is odd since I had no problems with this a year ago, and I was using the same connection I am using now.
Thanks for the help Dewey. I'll look into my other options.

Tarro57

RNGer, haters hate.
Bag_Pok%C3%A9_Ball_Sprite.png
374.gif

#374 Beldum | NN: Collosus | Gender: Genderless
OT: Tarro| ID: 24925
Adamant | Hatched: 10/22/2013 | Skyarrow Bridge
Type: Steel Psychic | Ability: Clear Body
Take Down
31 / 31 / 31 / x / 31 / 31

Decided to try RNGing again after a VERY long break. I think it turned out pretty good for not having done it for a while. Hope to do more since it is so much more handy with PPRNG for iOS.

Last edited:

MokKish

Breeding Enthustiast
Not sure if this thread is still active or if there's another thread somewhere, but here goes anyway:

I'm new to gen 5 rng (I have White 2). I did manage to succesfully rng a 5iv shiny Virizion so I know I'm doing something right. Since then I've been trying to rng terrakion and cobalion with no luck. I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find an answer to.

1. I know there are multiple Timer0's in BW2. In theory, can I rng with any of them since it's kinda random which one is chosen, or do I have to use a spesific one? I caught Virizion with the first Timer0 the program found for me, but I've noticed I keep hitting another one more often.

2. The seed I found would give me a jolly 31/31/31/0/31/31 stationary and only requires 3 frame advancements for a shiny. I've hit the seed multiple times but didn't get a shiny after the advances. Are the wandering NPCs affecting the frame on these routes (22 and 13) so that it's impossible to get a shiny with that seed and so few frame asvances? Should I use another seed? Also, is there a list somewhere for routes / areas with no WNPCs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is all still very confusing for me.

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Not sure if this thread is still active or if there's another thread somewhere, but here goes anyway:

I'm new to gen 5 rng (I have White 2). I did manage to succesfully rng a 5iv shiny Virizion so I know I'm doing something right. Since then I've been trying to rng terrakion and cobalion with no luck. I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find an answer to.

1. I know there are multiple Timer0's in BW2. In theory, can I rng with any of them since it's kinda random which one is chosen, or do I have to use a spesific one? I caught Virizion with the first Timer0 the program found for me, but I've noticed I keep hitting another one more often.

2. The seed I found would give me a jolly 31/31/31/0/31/31 stationary and only requires 3 frame advancements for a shiny. I've hit the seed multiple times but didn't get a shiny after the advances. Are the wandering NPCs affecting the frame on these routes (22 and 13) so that it's impossible to get a shiny with that seed and so few frame asvances? Should I use another seed? Also, is there a list somewhere for routes / areas with no WNPCs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is all still very confusing for me.

The Timer0 value fluctuates but there should be a value that is more common than the others. IT is best to find the value that is most common and just stick to that. You can use any Timer0 value that shows up, yes, but it may take forever to hit one of the less common values. Calibrate ~20 times and see what value is most common and use that. For my Black 2 on a DS Lite I use 1104-1106 for my Timer0 range as 1104 and 1106 are the 2 most common values for me. I have even successfully used 1105 on 2 occasions, but I ttry to avoid that value because it doesn't show up as often.

As for the NPCs, yes, they will advance the PIDRNG. If you're aiming for a PIDRNG frame 3 frames after the starting frame then the NPCs in the area will make it impossible for you to hit that frame. You'll need a frame farther in.