• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Review the Last Movie you Watched

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Iron Man 2 - 8/10

It is very rare that a movie doesn't suffer the sophomore slump. Unfortunately, this movie does fall into that category.

It's not a bad movie, it's just not as good as the first.

For starters, I haven't seen the first movie in almost a year, so it may have explained this, but Tony Stark was having health issues because of the suit - but they never said what was really causing it or why. So that was confusing.

The plot was also extremely layered with subplots. Unless it was an action scene, nothing got more than three consecutive minutes on the screen. However, what was shown was satisfying, especially a look into the Stark legacy and into some relationship woes.

The movie also doesn't rely that much on Robert Downey Jr.'s quirkiness - which made me love his character. In this movie, he's just egotistical.

The ups: the action was kept to a minimum and was awesome visually. Unlike Transformers 2, this movie didn't have a robot fight every five minutes. There were actually only four or five main battles within the course of two hours, so that was pretty good.

Samuel Jackson could make this movie by himself. He really has some of the best lines of movie.

Overall, this movie is a great action movie with a heart, and with a story to tell. It does it effectively, without being redundant. Fans of the first will love this movie, but it will not replace the original.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Iron Man 2 - 8/10

Note that I'd give the original the same score. This managed to avoid most pitfalls that superhero sequels manage to fall into. In fact, I'd say the key area where it dropped the ball was character overstuffing, and even then, it didn't suffer as badly as...say, the 3rd X-Men or 3rd Spiderman movies with that problem. I bring that up because I felt Pepper and Black Widow drew attention away from each other, and thus, neither character got the development they deserved.

Otherwise, I pretty much loved the rest of it. It had a fuller climax than the original, the villain(s) was good, the backstory was interesting (though confusing at times), the acting was good all around, and the cheeky humor was up to par with the original. I'm not a comic book buff so some of the Avengers stuff was lost on me, but I know those buffs will appreciate the references nonetheless.

Cobalt_Latios

Well, somewhat long overdue, but hey...

Iron Man 2: 9/10

[check the same thread for my review of it, as it's just easier to go from there... maybe I'll edit this space with a quote from it, just for simplicities sake.]

How To Train Your Dragon - 3D (real D 3D) : 9/10

Okay, so yes, this was an animated film. Yes, this one was geared more towards a children's audience. So what, I still wanted to check it out. And it was worth it. I happen to have a neat little "interest" towards dragon designs and whatnot, so I thought this would be a decent movie. It was, oh it was.

I have to say, this is one of those rare times where I actually prefer this one over at least 1 pixar film. At least 1.

It had a good storyline, was a good adaptation of a children's book (albeit modified to work as a movie), and has some very well done character development.

C_L

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)- 3/10

Whereas most remakes attempt to reboot a series, this attempt at making Freddy Krueger just as frightning as the original fails on so many levels. Wes Craven's original vision is compromised by exchanging the humorous nature of the villain for a tired backstory. I don't understand why they would take one of the only slasher villians who uses humor and try to give him a backstory in which he sexually abuses kids? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think that was the intent of the character in any previous films (might have been hinted at in an inferior sequal).

zipzap713

@Peteyism
The Godfather

I found this movie to be really good. Great characters, great story, great acting. One of the scenes where a guy was getting beat up, was obviously fake, with punches clearly missing, but aside from that, and its really long length, it was a great movie. Only thing I could ask for, was it be shortened, by maybe 10-25 minutes, to a more reasonable length, to streamline it. But aside from the long length, I think it was an nearly perfect movie.

9.5/10

Grei

not the color
The Mortuary: 2 out of 10.

So me and some friends were hanging out and went to Blockbuster to rent a movie to watch. We all seem to be into horror movies (although none of us have ever really said that we favor the horror genre over anything else) and so we went to the Horror section and looked at movies. Eventually we found one, by the name of The Mortuary. It looked interesting and was made by the guy who made Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So we figured we'd watch it.

It ended up being a comedy. It was obviously intended to be scary but failed horribly.

A mother, son and daughter randomly decide to move to a random town because the mom wants to be a mortician. The house sucks and is conveniently placed next to a cemetery. On top of that, all of the town's sewage leads to the house. The son makes friends (one of which is gay for no real reason) and he (the son) shows interest in a girl.

A well below the house has lots of fungus stuff in it (which I guess is because of all of the sewage) and it's living so it infests all of the dead bodies that were just sort of left inside of the house. The mold works together with the son of the previous morticians that lived in the house; he is named Bobby Fowler. Anyway, he's disfigured and completely unrelated to the fungus.

At some point a police officer talks about graveyard babies, three trouble-making teens try to have said babies when they desecrate the cemetery, and Bobby Fowler appears in the daughter's closet.

The fungus reanimates the corpses as the mother is slicing them up and they vomit in her mouth to infect her with whatever is below the house. The son, daughter, and son's friends are left to try and escape the house when their mom tries to force milk and fungus down their throats. The police officer and two of the three troublemakers are also infected with the fungus thing and try to infect the four kids

The kids escape to the upper parts of the house, and the daughter is locked inside the son's room while the son tries to save his friends who stupidly stayed downstairs with the bodies. The daughter is kidnapped by Bobby Fowler who is now in the son's closet and takes her to his lair. The son and his friends find out she's gone and escape to the attic which leads to the well underneath the house. They randomly find the third troublemaker who ends up being infected later. The gay guy dies and the son and his friend that are left reach the well, where Bobby Fowler is about to throw the daughter in to be sacrificed. Then Bobby Fowler saves the daughter and is sucked into the well. The son and his lady friend throw salt into the well (as well as onto the mother, police officer, and the two troublemakers that were initially infected), which destroys the fungus (and those who are infected).

The son, daughter and friend make their way to the surface and all seems well. They lay down on a patch of grass that the mom put in the yard to liven the place up. The mother reappears and takes the daughter. The son is sucked into the ground by the fungus.

The end.

Essentially, a mom wants to cut open dead bodies and takes her children to a mortician's house were everyone is either already dead or later killed/infected by the house's fungus and/or a disfigured guy.

The plot made no sense. There were numerous set-ups for plot events later in the movie--the camera lingered on a teddy bear that the daughter put onto the random organ within the house (which actually did have a small amount of resolution later); the son showed a very vague interest in the female protagonist (his friend), but it went nowhere; the entire town's sewage leads to the house (probably to explain the fungus); the police officer talks about graveyard babies, which never are actually born; the slimy Realtor shows interest in the mother but isn't seen after he creepily tries to kiss her; Rita, the owner of a diner ingests the black fungus and is implied to be infected, but is never seen after she becomes infected; and so on and so forth.

The actors had no chemistry and couldn't act. The son was meant to be cool and bored, but the actor was too dorky. The daughter was just sort of there (although she seemed to be one of the few who could act to any extent at all). The female protagonist and her pointlessly-gay guy friend were just awkward.

All in all, the movie seemed to be setting up for a very thrilling horror film and ended up failing completely in every aspect. There are about four plots going on at once and none of them make any sense. The characters are flat and awkward together. The effects were really dumb looking. Events happen for no reason, and some events that appear to set up for future events (foreshadowing, more or less) end up setting up for nothing to happen. Instead of being shocked at the fear and deaths of the characters, my friends and I found them insanely funny and were laughing uproariously at the screams of terror.

This movie sucks. I recommend it to people who want to see a terrible movie.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 6.5/10
This movie had could have had a deeply enriched action/adventure plot about a Prince trying to protect the timeline from corruption. But the keywords there are "could have." The plot in reality was extremely scatterbrained and difficult to follow.
"Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I really am, and why I say this. Come, and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard." This line should have been the start of the movie no ifs ands or buts. If the games began and ended the trilogy with this line it must obviously hold some kind of weight or importance. Some might call my claim about this line petty but don’t worry there is more.
Like I stated previously the plot was too confusing and scatterbrained. They were aiming for mysterious but the film was confusing and elements of the plot were not clearly explained to the viewer. The same is true for characters, protagonists and antagonists alike, and their development. Prince Dastan could have used more internal struggle- more humanness that showed he actually comes to a realization that his initial actions in sacking the city were wrong. He clearly displays this attitude in the end of the film but there was no struggle between himself.
The villain of the film, the uncle, is flat. His motives simply seem to be “Rewind time. Steal the thrown for myself.” His character lacks any true jealousy because he is given minimal speaking time in the movie. The only glimpses of personality can be shown simply in his brief discussions with other characters. This could have been a powerful and mysterious tool in the movie- making the uncle mysterious. But in reality it just made him flat and uninteresting.
Another failed attempt at characters would be the Hashshashins. These powerful warriors were originally often displayed riding horses as the camera annoyingly tilted to the side or blurred. Halfway through the film when the audience realizes the uncle is evil the Hashshashins are shown in all their glory demonstrating their killing prowess in combat training. But that is them at their best. The rest of the film they do not demonstrate the quite the same inhumane killing techniques that gave them the ferocious appearance and made the audience worry about Dastan and company because of what they are up against. Sure the Hashshashins are given some great fight scenes but the Hashshashin fight scenes are not quite as climactic as one would expect.
The flaws of the film are more attributed to the writers, director and producer and not the actors. The writer’s guild strike effected and delayed this film and the disagreements between Director Mike Newell and Producer Jerry Bruckhemier effected the story at certain points and made some aspects illogical.
What is extremely captivating is the freerunning action scenes of the film. What is even more interesting is that Jake Gyllenhaal actually made an effort to try and do some himself. But he still heavily relied on stuntmen to do some of the greater feats. I can’t help but feel that since the Prince of Persia games prided themselves on the abilities of the acrobatic prince the movie should have been in 3-D to offer the stunts quite literally a “new dimension” to take place in. 3-D definitely would have also made the passage of time caused by the dagger look more interesting and not as stale. Doing so could have helped to save the movie from its plot.
Despite all I have said I did enjoy this movie because of the stunts and the acting. The characters, despite their shortcomings in character development, were likeable. The characters do hold some surprises (Sheik Amir and his buddy Seso).
I would hope that if there were to turn this movie into a trilogy they would focus on the negative effects of altering time and the consequences and new perils it presents. The stream of time would be a dangerous thing for man to mess with and I feel Dastan should not get off the hook so easily and should be presented with new obstacles much like his counterpart videogame prince was.
The ending possibly drove some critics crazy but I would argue that it was a clever ending that allowed Dastan to finally confront his own mistake (even though he didn’t seem to have an internal struggle about it). The ending gave a definite closure that made this a good standalone movie that will not have to rely on a sequel but is still open ended enough for there to be a sequel.

Last edited:

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Soooo.... Prince of Persia...
7/10

It was fairly average, although I don't think that they could've packed any more action into the movie even if they tried. My personal favorite character was Alfred Molina's self described "Entrepreneur", but the protagonists were fairly likeable. I know the general outline of the game plot, and while it's VERY different, it has some of the same jists, as well as the same moves you can do.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
The Matrix Revolutions- 8/10
I decided to re-watch the Matrix trilogy's conclusion, mainly because I blanked on how it ended. And I realize why. The original Matrix had a small number of characters, mainly the crew of the Nebuchadnezzer, Smith and Neo, and The Oracle. But by the final film, there aren't only three more ships and crews, but the entire army of Zion. The movie felt bogged down by over-saturation of characters, and truly odd plot elements.
Neo finds out there is no prophecy, and "The One" is a glitch in the Matrix, at the end of Reloaded, and he awakens a strange Force-like power to repel the sentinels attacking him. Revolutions picks up right after that, and Neo goes through a trance-like state, then as Zion is attacked, he goes to see the Deus Ex machine, the leader of the machines, to stop the attack on Zion, and has to go into the matrix to stop Smith, who, having assimilated The Oracle, no possesses her powers. In the middle of the city Neo stands against the Smith clones, and begins a very cool uber-slow-mo flying fight with the original Smith. In the end, Neo is defeated, and allows himself to be assimilated, which for some reason causes the new clone to combust spontaneously. All the clones follow suit. Smith is destroyed, and the Deus Ex machine calls a ceasefire between Zion and the machines.
The movie wasn't bad, you just really needed to pay attention to get the plot. And have seen the other movies. I was confused, and felt the over-saturation of characters didn't help. But the fights are very cool, and the ending of the series was both satisfying and irritating.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
The Bank Job (2008) - 0.5/10

Ok, first off, the only reason I saw this movie was because Jason Statham was in it. After seeing his action movies (notably the Transporter and Crank series), I was in high hopes of seeing him in plenty of fight scenes as the aforementioned movies had. However, The Bank Job was boring, slow, and only had 1 pointless fight scene at the very end. It's only redeeming factor was that at least the fight scene had Statham in it.

Cutty

Forever now
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

8.5/10

The fact that Jake Gyllenhaal plays in the movie already makes me give 8 points.
Some parts of the movie bored me, it doesn't bring anything new related to its action scenes. It's like watching the combination of Indiana Jones and The Mummy. Dry jokes really drain out the movie, and lack of chemistry between Gemma and Jake too. So overall it's an okay movie, except for the Jake part.^^

D

Deleted member 133172

Robin Hood:

Oh man, where to start? Well the story lost me, for me, they justy appeared to be fighting, for no reason, or at least it didn't tell me the reason, and Robin didn't even have a hood (WTF? o_O) ANd well, I will admit, it was funny at times. But overall, I DID NOT enjoy this movie. Very dissapointing.

3/10

TehGr81

College graduate
300 - 8/10

300 Spartans fight the Persians in a quest for glory. It was pretty good for the most part but I do have a couple complaints:

- Some of the battles were too long and got boring
- During one scene someone gets "stabbed" and it was obviously fake
- The nudity was unnecessary, except during the remnants scene

Overall, I felt this movie was very good.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Nightmare on Elm Street:

So my cousin forced me to go see this movie (But it was his birthday so I went anyway, although it wouldn't matter if it was or not because he always seem to force me to watch movies I don't want to watch). I didn't want to see it because it was a horror movie.
However like many of the horror movies I have seen. Jeepers Creepers 2, Vacancy 2, Grudge 2.. (Hm, I am beginning to notice a pattern) I never thought they were scary after watching it, so Nightmare on Elm Street was the same.

The story was interesting (Note I never seen the original so I wouldn't know what they are like) and I wanted to know what happened. The ending was a bit shocking and made me wonder there was a sequel but I doubt it.

I guess 7/10 or maybe 8/10.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Robin Hood

9/10

It was so awsome.The movie was about the time before Robin Hood was declarded an outlaw.I found the scenery ok and the fighting scenes way to much awsome.It was a good movie and I recomend it to people who are into the medevial stuff.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'll put in two, since the first is still pretty clear in my head.

Robin Hood - 6/10

I didn't really want to see this movie, but it meant getting out of the house and hanging out with Mom and a friend of hers, so I went to see it (I suggested going to see Prince of Persia, but there were still seats available even though we sat near the front).

Here's the problem: the digital age makes everything fast and confusing, so the action/fight scenes were very blurry. Even then, what I DID see looked really gory for a PG-13 film (reminded me of The Patriot, actually most of the movie reminded me of it), made me sick. Some parts were confusing at times, though there were a few funny areas. Honestly, the only part I liked about the movie was the romance between Robin and Lady Mariem (or whatever her name is).

Mom is a different story. She said this was the worst Robin Hood film she's seen, and keep in mind she loves history to bits, so she knows everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that is supposed to be going on around this time. And thus, she said that had King John signed the Magna Carta at the end of the movie, it would have ruined everything. But I'm not my mom, so I don't know how to put her words down, so...

Yeah. It got a 6 out of 10. I'd say 5, but I'm a bit lenient right now.

The Goonies - 9/10

It lost a point because of the harsh language, but it is a really good movie. (I personally think Corey Feldman was the best kid actor here, next to whoever did Chunk.)

Anyway, the plot (should I REALLY put this down, just about everyone has seen this movie) is about the Goon Docks in Astoria, Oregon that is getting foreclosed for a golf course of sorts. The kids all grew up together, and don't want to move away. In the Walshs' attic, they find a 17th century treasure map that belonged to the legendary pirate One-Eyed Willie. They then decide to have one last "Goonie" adventure, and decide to look for the treasure and hopefully save the Goon Docks.

Unfortunately, there is an obstacle known as the Fratellis, a family of criminals, who have a hide-out built upon the secret passageway to an underground cave. Chunk ended up being left behind to get the police only to be kidnapped by the Fratellis and he ends up telling them everything (and it really turned out to be everything he ever did) before being locked in with Sloth, a deformed Fratelli brother they chained in a room, with whom he becomes friends with.

Meanwhile, the Goonies face deadly booby traps set by One-Eyed Willie himself as they get closer and closer to his legendary treasure, the Fratellis not far behind.

There was only one mistake they ended up not catching in the final draft of the film, and that was Data mentioning an octopus. There originally was going to be an octopus and they filmed it, but for time, they cut it out, which I think is a shame (but it's availble for viewing in the special features). Though I think it MIGHT have been in the theatrical version, but I am not sure about that.

But even then, it is a really good film from the 80s, and is worth seeing. A memorable movie for anyone's childhood.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Prince of Persia - 7/10

My brother wanted to see it for his birthday. It was better than I thought, actually. The plot was quite deep and interesting, the highlight for me. It could have been used to its full potiental, and the film would have been brilliant. However, the action scenes aren't as interesting, and so many characters died (not spoiling), so fast, and you didn't have a chance to get attached to them first, which ruins it. Overall, good, but not something I'd buy on DVD.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Prince of Persia

8/10

Well,I`m not a fan of Disney`s works but this was a good movie.I`m very impressed in what Disney did in the making of this video game series movie.It was very good movie and I do recomend it to all the people who have played any of the games and Disneyaholics.

Cobalt_Latios

Prince of Persia

8/10

Well,I`m not a fan of Disney`s works but this was a good movie.I`m very impressed in what Disney did in the making of this video game series movie.It was very good movie and I do recomend it to all the people who have played any of the games and Disneyaholics.
I'd give it a 7/10. I dunno, I still feel like they could have done a bit more with it (and maybe more uses of the actual "sands of time"), but considering this was a movie based on a game, and that it actually did "well", I'll definitely give it credit.

Also, I'm not going to associate this movie with Disney. The only reason it is probably "Disney" is due to Jerry Bruckheimer's association with it, and his previous work on the Pirates movies. Otherwise, I'll just stick it as a pretty decent adaptation of a game. It helps that the guy who "created" the game was on board, which definitely makes things easier.

All in all, if you're looking for a decent action flick before A-Team, definitely check this out. If you're disappointed with Robin Hood, then this may fix that.

Or you could be critical and point out all the flaws. I won't, I'm simply here to enjoy these things.

C_L