• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Reviewing Journeys Episodes Watched in 3D

GoukaMoki

3D Review of Journey's Episode 130- The Finals 2: Toying Around

STUNNING 3D:

1. The ice field battle. I love the way the clash between Sirfetch'd and Mr. Rime look with the ice field as a backdrop in 3d. The psychic attack rises up to surround Sirfetch'd as a beatiful 3d pillar of energy and the way Sirfetch'd attacks with its glowing green sword looks amazing in 3d in this scene.

2. Mega Lucario defeating Mr. Rime. When Mr. Rime comes in for the final triple axel it looks like it is floating in the air off the screen as it spins and winds up for the kick. The next moment looks super cool as Lucario evades the attack, because you can more clearly in 3d how it skillfully slides in front of its opponent using just a little bit of space. The actual aura sphere moment happens fast, but looks really cool as it flys at the screen then shifts views to show the sky way behind the top of the stadium and Mr. Rime is blasted with the attack in mid air.

3. Dracovish grabs Dragapult. When Dragapult rushes at the screen it looks super sharp and the dimensions of its head and body all have a nice sense of depth even while popping off the screen. The red teeth things on Dracovish look really cool too and there is beautiful clarity and depth to the moment it grabs on to Dragapult. Dragapult's head stands out closer to the screen as it arches backward struggling in Dracovish's grasp, and when Dracovish bites onto its head you can even see the difference in depth and distance compared to the level of Dracovish's face and Dagapults head, which is a pretty fine difference in depth.

4. Dragon dance. Dragonite rushes at the screen than swoops upward and begins spinning and its movements are captured spectacularly in 3D. The red/orange energy glow effect adds a really cool highlight to its movements in 3D.

5. Dragapult thunderbolt on Lucario. This was EPIC looking in 3D. Dagapult pops completely off the screen and gets surrounded in electricity as it charges up. The close up of Lucario that follows with its fists clenched glowing really pops, but the coolest moment is when it launches itself at Dragapult. Watching mega Lucario fly through the air like that floating over the screen looks so cool.

Conclusions:

This episode thankfully turned out great too. It was slightly less spot on with the 3D throughout compared to the previous one, but there were still lot of stunning and great moments. Dragapult was a bit hit and miss with the 3D, especially its face, but when it turned out right it looked awesome. The ice field was a nice touch, because at this point we've seen most of the main angles of the battlefield in 3D and its hard for it to feel super fresh after so many battles in the same stadium on a field that does not change in general. I really enjoyed the episode and continue to marvel at the fact that it is possible to watch this show in such a cool way. The review of part 3 is coming soon.

Score: 9/10

GoukaMoki

3D Review of Journey's Episode 131 - The Finals 3: The Strongest

Hi Everyone! This one took a bit longer than expected but the review is here.

STUNNING 3D:

1. Right off the bat we get a beautiful sequence with Rillaboom using its roots to slam Dragonite. The way the the roots move through the air shows off how cool scenes like this can be in 3D because of the way depth between objects and pokemon change as they move through the air. Makes it feel like a true aerial action sequence.

2. The special dragonite dracometeor. Same as the above but X10. The moment Dragonite powers up the attack, the energy glows bright and pops out of the screen appearing very spherical as if it is real. Then as dragonite flies through the air the purple meteors are all distinct beams of energy with different locations that make the scene feel even more dynamic. The part where the vines slap away the meteors is beautiful in 3D.

3. Shield riding. The way Sirfetch'd rides its shield across the vines is another good example of a fast motion action sequence that turned out amazing in 3D. It's like a roller coaster ride form different angles. The part where its own shield slides up the "sword" to collide with Sirfetch'd looks super cool because both objects are coming out of the screen making the scene super immersive.

4. Dracovish Dragondive. The way the attack bursts out of the stadium looks epic in 3D, because it is shown from the side and it feels like you are looking at the actual stadium with that enormous, powerful dragon shaped energy rising up into the sky and you can tell its coming up from within the center of the stadium even when viewed from the side.

5. Everything at the end. From the moment Charizard enters the stadium it just POPS. It really makes you question if you are looking at a anime scene or something physically there in front of you. The gigantamax sequence is amazing and the clash between Pikachu and Gigantamax Charizard looks spot on the whole time. I love the side view of Charizard from the stands, its like you are one of the spectators looking at the towering Pokemon out in the battlefield.

The shot where Pikachu jumps off the stone and flies towards the screen as you might imagine feels extra dynamic in 3d because of the depth. Then the Z moove is really glorious this time, even the Japanese text naming the move floats in front of the screen. The lightning bolts turned out perfectly this time in contrast to any of the other times it has been used during these 3D reviews and its difficult to describe how cool this looks, especially with the rotating view as both attacks collide. To top it off, the energy beam that results from the collision rising into the clouds also looks really cool, similar to the Dracovish moment but from further away.

Conclusions:

Every moment in this battle was really enhanced by the 3D effect, making you either feel more immersed in the scene or like the action is unfolding right in front of you. The motions of both trainers look great, as do all the cameos and the locations shown during those moments. There wasn't a weak moment during the clash between any two Pokemon on screen at once from dracovish and Aceburn to Sirfetch'd and Rillaboom, it all looked awesome. The ending clash between Pikachu and Charizard was the biggest highlight, but this episode was exciting to watch start to finish in 3D.

Score: 9.75/10

Last edited:

GoukaMoki

3D Review of Journey's Episode 131 - The Finals 4: Partner

Here we finally are. When I set out to do 3D reviews for the Masters 8, I had no idea that it would last as long as it did. It has been a fun ride and man did it go out with a bang!

STUNNING:

Its really impossible to narrow this list down, because every single battle sequence in my opinion turned out breathtaking.

1. Gigantamax Aceburn vs Gigantamax Pikachu. Aceburn standing on top of its fireball with the blazing flames coming up in front out of the screen looks absolutely amazing, but so does the way Ash catapults Pikachu into the distance to Gigantamax. During the close up of Aceburn as it kicks the fireball, you can see the flames in front and behind its foot, with the spherical ball of fire in the middle and the effect is really striking. This whole sequence is epic though! When pikachu catches the attack the ball of fire pops WAY out of the screen, and since the flames are in motion, it looks super dynamic.

Click Here for High Quality Image Link

2. I have seen how gorgeous the battle looks in 2D, and 3D takes it up one more level. I good not stop smiling watching this battle. The sense of power and speed in 3D as Pikachu completely rocks Charizard with its quick attack twice is amplified in 3D as is jets through the air above the field, and the air shock waves palpable in 3D.

The stones hurled at Pikachu are all beautifully situated in space at various depths and Pikachu navigates between and across them then even upwards, showing off all different types of angles and special relationships at breakneck speed.

That dragon pulse is sooo clean as it is charged up and fired off, and sparkles brightly as a ray of energy across the screen appearing completely mid air (with Pikachu trapped inside).

The way the camera moves around and rotates as both competitors give battle commands with exaugurated body language feels hyper dynamic and shows of the battlefield itself and the position of the trainers and Pokemon within it in a whole new way that makes the whole thing feel like a window into real, action packed battlefield.

PERFECTION:

That final power up of Pikachu and Charizard is unbelievable. No words can really do it justice. The bolt of lighting explodes upwards from the battlefield stands out from the background and sky/archway that truly highlights how much power is being let off. Everything that ensues is a sight to behold. Simply breathtaking to witness. The amount of detail in this scene is mind blowing and the way it translates into 3D creates a sequence that is unforgettable, with more energy, realism and immersion delivered compared with the sequence in 2D (which I would say already classifies as breathtaking).

Conclusion:

This episode in 3D was legit insane to watch in 3D. To be honest, I was worried at times that the 3D wouldn’t be able to keep up with it, and it probably was pushed to its limits (with better technology in the future I’m sure it will look even cleaner and better), but considering that it really was an amazingly immersive viewing experience.

Each motion of Ash and Leon is brought to life beyond anything we’ve seen before in terms of character animation in 3D. The same goes for the Pokemon battling.

You may be wondering how that one scene turned out. I think it was maybe a bit hard to appreciate the sense of 3D depth of each Pokemon within the screen, because there was literally nothing but complete whiteness in the background to contrast it with, but to be honest this kind of enhances the surreal feeling of the whole scene and I really like how it turned out.

The cameo scenes and locations looking great in this one was no exception, and the opening sequence with Eternatus also turned out beautiful.

This episode, whether 2D animation or 3D viewing experience is going to be a very difficult one to top for the future of Pokemon. One thing I am certain of though, is that the technology used to convert it to 3D will keep getting better and better, making this and the other episodes worth revisiting time and time again as the scenes approach a level that grows closer and closer to blurring the boundaries of something happening within the screen of a device and reality. I can’t wait to come back and watch all kinds of episodes and battles as that happens.

Thanks to everyone who stuck around for these reviews and enjoyed them! It has been fun sharing this experience and I think that over the next decade this type of viewing experience is going to become standard for all screened devices and available to everyone to enjoy.

Score: 10/10

Final note:

I would like to continue this in some form or another probably in more of a simplified format. Still thinking of the best way to do it, but definitely comment if you have any suggestions!

Last edited:

GoukaMoki

It's been a while since the end of Journeys and I wanted to ask if anyone might be interested in simple 3D reviews of the new anime episodes.

I have continued watching in 3D, now on an upgraded tablet with even better resolution and 3D quality, and it I am still loving it. I am considering making a new thread for the Horizons anime and maybe even an audio only YT channel. Like this post or comment if you would like to see a new thread for the new anime. For now, here's a image to simulate the 3D effect:)

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
This must have been a really cool viewing experience (especially since it wasn't meant to be watched in 3D?), and I enjoyed reading your analysis.

GoukaMoki

It was! I hope that everyone gets the chance to experience it, though it may take a couple years before there is more access to 3D displays in mainstream smartphones, TVs, tablets and other devices. And you are right, it isn't meant for 3D viewing, which is why it is so amazing that it is now possible to watch it in 3D and feel almost as if the anime was meant for it.

On a side note, I think things will go even beyond the type of 3D i've been watching. In the future, use tech like shown below (little rough around the edges for now, but I think its gonna evolve super quickly), I'm hopeful that full episodes will be viewable in 3D + viewed from multiple angles in real time which would be sooo cool. It might take even longer for the companies that produce Pokemon and anime to get on board with this type of thing, but I'm almost sure its gonna happen at some point

Last edited: