• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rhys DOES have a team, who'da thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys29

Encore
Inorite. Crazy.

Overview
319-m.png
146.png
230-m.png
121.png
376.png
373-m.png

319-m.png

Sharpedo@Focus Sash
Rash, Rough Skin
44 Attack/ 252 Special Attack/ 212 Speed

- Aqua Jet
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
Ah, one of my favorite lead sets. I had originally used a completely physical Sharpedo lead previously, affectionately nicknamed Sharpedophile by D_L, but I found out that even with a much lower Special Attack stat Hydro Pump deals more damage than Waterfall. Since Dark Pulse would always score the KO on Gengar and Azelf anyways, I decided to give it a shot and would you look at that: it works. Aqua Jet for obvious reasons and Taunt has made him an even bigger thorn in everyone's side. Speed is set to outrun Timid Heatran.​

146.png

Moltres@Leftovers
Timid, Pressure
188 HP/ 164 Defense/ 156 Speed

- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
As usual, I try and keep things real. Moltres is one of the few pokes who never gets used but can counter a ridiculous amount of OU threats. Lucario, Scizor, Infernape, they all get shut down by its unique typing. It may be x4 Stealth Rock weak but that isn't a huge deal to me since Starmie just RS that sh*t away. Slightly changed up thanks to Reno to deal with threats a little differently. HP-Ground deals with Nape, Flamethrower for Lucario and Scizor, WoW for dealing with standard threats that would switch in, Roost for obvious reasons. Outruns Adamant Lucario which is nice and works out for my usually slow teams.​

230-m.png

Kingdra@Leftovers
Adamant, Swift Swim
180 HP/ 136 Attack/ 96 Special Defense/ 96 Speed

- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
Gasp it's from Kingdrom:
Kingdra has decent defenses, at 85 base HP and 95 base defenses, as well as neutrality to Electric and Ice-type moves and quadruple resists to Fire and Water. This warrants the use of Kingdra as a specially-based Bulky Water, a niche occupied by few others effectively. Kingdra is able to switch into Calm Mind Suicune and Vaporeon and set up while can do nearly nothing in return. Substitute is a staple on this set, allowing you to set up on Choice Scarf Heatran locked into Fire Blast. In addition, it protects Kingdra from Will-o-Wisp or Toxic, a move that Substitute Heatrans commonly use. However, Yawn works here equally well. The dual-STAB combination of Waterfall and Outrage offers decent coverage and puts power behind Kingdra's attacks. Dragon Dance gives Kingdra the power and speed needed to break through the above mentioned defensive stalwarts.

The HP investment reaches a perfect leftovers point of 336. The number of Ev's placed in special defense is just enough for Kingdra to avoid having its Substitute broken by 4 SAtk Vaporeon Ice Beam. In addition, Timid Life Orb Suicune cannot 2HKO Kingdra with +1 Ice Beam even after Stealth Rock, thanks to leftovers recovery. The attack investment reaches a bonus point, amounting to a fairly decent stat of 286. This guarantees an OHKO on LO Suicune after two Dragon Dances and two rounds of Life Orb recoil. This also reassures that +6 Outrage can OHKO the most defensive Resttalk Suicune, while it takes 5 Calm Minds to break Kingdra's Substitute with Surf. The rest is placed in Speed, which reaches 230, a number that beats all Adamant Scizor and Tyranitar, as well as standard Breloom (insignificant). After a Dragon Dance, it outspeeds Adamant Dugtrio, standard Infernape, and all base 100's; after two Dragon Dances it outspeeds Pokemon such as the rare Timid Scarf Roserade.
So yeah. That.​

121.png

Starmie@Leftovers
Timid, Natural Cure
152 HP/ 156 Defense/ 200 Speed

- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
One of the most overused Spinners around but it does its job well. I need it quite badly since Moltres is dependant on SR being down and I don't like Stealth Rock weakness on Salamence so I was in desperate need of a Rapid Spinner. However the main thing I am looking at right now is switching out Surf for Psychic and increasing the Speed to outrun Gengar since my team is pretty open to an LO Gengar sweep. However that makes Starmie very open to Tyranitar and Scizor Pursuiters. I don't want to leave my team Gyarados weak (ish) but losing Starmie after it takes care of SR isn't a super huge loss to me. Just a thought.​

376.png

Swampert@Choice Band
Adamant, Clear Body
204 HP/ 176 Attack/ 128 Speed

- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
Was Pert, decided to switch it to Metagross because it can sponge Outrages. Choice Band Metagross is incredibly powerful and it's ability to sponge up hits is used quite effectively in this set. I wanted to outrun CM Cune just so I can effing crush them sh*ts with Explosion and Cresselia goes down in the same fashion. Meteor Mash for Tyranitar and Ice Punch for Salamence when it's locked into Outrage. Sets SR for me which is nice so it can do something else.​

373-m.png

Salamence@Choice Scarf
Naughty, Intimidate
252 Attack/ 144 Special Attack/ 112 Speed

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Draco Meteor
OMFG RHYS IS USING MENCE IT'S THE F*CKING APOCALYPSE!!1!​

Well, there's my team. Rate, spam, flame, have fun. Seriously, those last two options are totally viable. There isn't enough fun discussion on this forum anymore.

Last edited:

spareux

maldición
There are a few alternatives for u-turn rather than just hidden power [grass]. I like to run [Electric] or Toxic on it, as Vaporeon, Gyarados and friends seem to think they get a free switch in!
Although U-Turn has a good wee bitta synergy going on with Pert's Roar.

If Zapdos shows up you might have a bit of trouble. Although it has to deal with Stealth Rock.
But only if it has HP [Grass], or Toxic. Keep in mind Ice Beam fails to break even with Roost, but I suppose with Roar it will have a much more difficult time continually swapping in.
And, in saying all that, it will have a hard time switching-in in the first place!

but anyways, i quite fancy the whole bulkiness of the team a wee bitty. and that sharpedo.

Drybones446

That Photography Guy
I think Kingdra might benefit from a Substitute. I could be wrong though.

MajorGambit

Something someone said to me once: If Kingdra is using Yawn, go for Lum Berry so you're not crippled by Porygon 2, Rotoms and Dusknoir, who commonly switch in to hinder your sweep.

I like the originality and balls for the 2 first pokes.

Rhys29

Encore
Yeah, this team was an experiment that just happened to work well. Anything like Rotom-C usually has it's way with my team. Grass/Electric weakness all around. Except I somehow missed how Metagross can totally take Pert's spot if I really wanted to do that. Doesn't help with Zapdos but oh well. Takes Outrage better, takes care of Tar, etc. Thoughts?

PS - Sharpedo lead is too good.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I have to make a noob thought.

Yoour teamz iz Grass weak.

If rotom learned Grass Knot (or EnergyBall), your team is buttered toast.
But since he doesn't, your team is SAFE.
Good team. Great Job. Awesome work.

johnXkid

Candlelight
Eh just a nitpick but 136 HP / 172 Def takes hits slightly better on Starmie as opposed to 152 HP / 156 Def.

I second HP Grass on Moltes, or HP Ground to break Heatrans Subs. Btw you might have slight troubles with EP / FB / HP Grass LO Tran, but nothing too severe.

Solid.

GoldChocobo

Gotta Love AmbushCat
I know everyone says your team is grass weak, but Id say breloom is a huge threat. I know you will say moltres and mence destroy it. But if its subbed it has a chance. And if someone has a t-punch loom, it can almost sweep. Especially if it has a SD up. And if youre wondering what person is stupid enough to have a t-punch loom. I am. (I apologize if that comes off as arrogance, i just mean it as an examlple.)

Awesome A

The Gameshark
I think using Moltres is a horrible idea. =/

Forcing spinning on yourself is never a good thing, and it's a bit wishful to be thinking you'll have time to get your spinner in before they decide to spring their Scizor/Lucario on you.

I've used it (Moltres) and I scrapped it quickly. It's like building in a disadvantage for yourself, and I guaruntee will get you eventually, if not frequently.

Also, Stone Edge Lucario, and Swords Dance Infernape. You can't really counter those at all...

And if Moltres comes in on SR, Lucario will KO you w/ Extreme Speed.

I'm sorry if our opinions differ, but Moltres is not a good choice in my eyes, especially when there are things comparable to it that could potentially replace it. Yes, most of them can't counter Nape, but Starmie does that just fine anyway, especially with Recover.

Rhys29

Encore
Eh just a nitpick but 136 HP / 172 Def takes hits slightly better on Starmie as opposed to 152 HP / 156 Def.

I second HP Grass on Moltes, or HP Ground to break Heatrans Subs. Btw you might have slight troubles with EP / FB / HP Grass LO Tran, but nothing too severe.

Solid.
Running more HP on Starmie helps it take Heatran's hits better which is why I am dumping the leftover Speed Ev's that are usually 216 into HP. But notice how Moltres horribly walls that set. Even if it does get walled itself. Pressure is fun (had the situation before).
I know everyone says your team is grass weak, but Id say breloom is a huge threat. I know you will say moltres and mence destroy it. But if its subbed it has a chance. And if someone has a t-punch loom, it can almost sweep. Especially if it has a SD up. And if youre wondering what person is stupid enough to have a t-punch loom. I am. (I apologize if that comes off as arrogance, i just mean it as an examlple.)
Breloom is just a ****. Another one of the reasons I am considering switching Surf to Psychic: Breloom walls standard anti-Gyarados Starmie and everyone knows it. However it really doesn't have much of a chance to switch in effectively, seeing as how I either outrun it or can score a KO/break the Sub/absorb the Spore.
I think using Moltres is a horrible idea. =/

Forcing spinning on yourself is never a good thing, and it's a bit wishful to be thinking you'll have time to get your spinner in before they decide to spring their Scizor/Lucario on you.
Right, how dare I think I'll be able to pull a single Rapid Spin with Starmie before they pull their late game sweepers. I've been such a fool.
I've used it (Moltres) and I scrapped it quickly. It's like building in a disadvantage for yourself, and I guaruntee will get you eventually, if not frequently.
That's weird, isn't one of the most common things I spout about rating is not to rate purely on personal experience? Just because something didn't work for you doesn't mean others can't use it. I can't use Gyarados but I don't push others away from the idea of one. Moltres has a disadvantage but I can deal with it.
Also, Stone Edge Lucario
Salamence.
and Swords Dance Infernape.
Starmie.
You can't really counter those at all...
^^
And if Moltres comes in on SR, Lucario will KO you w/ Extreme Speed.
A 'what if' statement? Yeah, what if Lucario gets Critical hits with every Extremespeed so Starmie and Salamence go down in one hit too? The point of Rapid Spin and Roost is to make sure my Moltres has plenty of HP to deal with Scizor and Lucario.
I'm sorry
Damn right you are.
if our opinions differ, but Moltres is not a good choice in my eyes, especially when there are things comparable to it that could potentially replace it. Yes, most of them can't counter Nape, but Starmie does that just fine anyway, especially with Recover.
Yet no suggestion? The next best thing is Zapdos but it doesn't have the typing I am looking for. Moltres has yet to switch into SR and walls tons of the OU metagame. Though atleast you admit that there will be a conflict of ideals here so you save yourself a bit at the end. Thoroughly not convinced.

Reno

so adorable...
Moltres works in OU. The only thing that it can't counter after switching into Stealth Rock is Lucario, if you switch in on the Swords Dance.

Have you thought about Flamethrower/Roost/Hidden Power Ground/Will-o-wisp Moltres? It is the variant I used in OU for a long time and I found it really useful.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 188 HP/164 Def/156 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

This ouspeeds Adamant Lucario and has a chance of surviving a +2 Jolly 252 Life Orb Extreme Speed. It handles Heatran a lot better and doesn't risk being screwed by stalling it out.

Will-o-wisp is always useful for hitting stuff on the switch. Not to mention Gyarados like to stay in on Moltres for whatever reason.

Just throwing it out there.

GoldChocobo

Gotta Love AmbushCat
Moltres does work in OU as Reno said, and rather well actually. Air slash could take care of the luke problem, if youre playing on shoddy, and going for the flinchhax.

Deathfox30

If your going to use that set on mence you might as well use a dragonite it's much bulkier and it's attack is almost exactly the same. The only downside is its slower. I highly recommend substitute over yawn on kingdra. You could have some trouble with zapdos and infernape.

Infernape: Stone Edge, Grass knot, close combat, Hp (ice) can sweep this team once starmie is down. Zapos: HP (grass), Thunderbolt, Heatwave, Roost Can really meww up this team also. Salamence and kingdra are the only ones that have a shot at beating it. Vaporeon and Blissey are also minor threats. Curselax laughs at you.

Last edited:

Awesome A

The Gameshark
When I embtioned stone edge lucario and SD nape, I meant moltres couldn't counter them. I didn't mean that you had no counters to them. =P

also, Scizor is not a late game sweeper. CB Scizor is a mid-game pokemon, and if you want to switch in your Moltres on it and can't, you may have a problem.

I think rating on personal experience is fine, as long as it isn't a crazy idea that your are trying to back up w/ claims of experience. I still believe that Moltres is an inconvenience you don't need, especially when the advantages over things like Zapdos are slim.

I think that as soon as they get SR up, one of your pokes instantly being unable to safely switch in till you can get Starmie to work slows you down, and will let the opponent get the upper hand (Spin blocking hmmm?)

And I didn't give suggestions because I knew you could think of things on your own. And guess what? You did. Quit cho *****in''. Rotom-H is always a good option too. Gyarados works along the same lines, and you've already said you don't like gyarados.

And my 'what if statement' is hardly that. If you're saying it's highly unlikely that a Lucario will switch in safely (revenge?) and set up while SR is in effect, you're mistaken. And I'm not sure, but I think a +1 Adamant Lucario could kill Salamence w. Extreme speed with SR damage. Can't get to a calculator atm so bear w/ me. Anyway, I digress and this is getting annoyingly hypothetical.

Good luck.

Rhys29

Encore
Definitely going to take that Moltres set. Didn't know Timid just makes HP-Ground work. I had been looking at WoW as well so it is a nice switch up.

Hold on, I can't tell if you're serious about FlinchHax with Luke. He has Steadfast you know. And it takes nuetral. Not the best idea.

NO WAY!!! I'M MIXAPE WEAK WITHOUT MY MIXAPE COUNTER?! Dragonite is bulkier but has a much less useful ability and is indeed much slower then I need it to be.

You have some points but you supported them weakly. Personal experience does help a rate to some extent but you shouldn't JUST say 'don't use this cause it didn't work for me'. Suggest something better if you ARE going to use it because then you don't leave the person hanging. Inform the person of what you did when you came upon this problem so they will get in the right mindset.

Well I had taken a look at some of my options and I'm thinking about running this little guy over my current set:
373-m.png

Salamence@Choice Scarf
Naughty, Intimidate
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Draco Meteor

This is kind of a back up for speedy punks who think they have my team's balls in a vice grip. Outruns base 130's so Specs Jolteon can't cover me while outrunning +1 Adamant Gyarados and always scoring a OHKO with Stone Edge with SR taken into account (this is including 252 HP Gyarados). Not only that but it can check Infernape as well while still holding Lucario at bay and easily scoring a surprise kill on LO Gengar/Latias. A couple other threats are sprinkled around there, LO Starmie being a HUGE threat to my team that no one pointed out >.> (like... REALLY LO Starmie weak) so now I atleast have something that can take all those punks down. Moveset doesn't need an explanation after all this.

Still looking at Metagross > Swampert to take Tyranitar, set SR, and does a better job at taking down Mence with Ice Punch since it can absorb those heavy Outrages. I do lose scouting.

Thoughts on these two changes?

Deathfox30

Salamence@Choice Scarf
Naughty, Intimidate
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Draco Meteor

Walled by bronzong........ Mixmence is a better fit. I'd take Dragonite over mence anyday. It has a ridiculous move pool and better stats.

Last edited:

johnXkid

Candlelight
With the change from DD Roost Mence to Scarf Mence you lose the ability to beat stall without playing perfectly. In fact, nothing on your team really enjoys switching in on Roar Gyara with entry hazards. Your efforts of bringing in Starmie will be shot down, and stall will almost always carry Rotom-a, which switches into Starmie and walls it effortlessly. With entry hazards down nothing likes switching into Shadow Ball / TBolt / Stalk Rotom-a either to think about it. I'd really consider something to break stall in there.

EDIT: your also realllllly gonna want a steel in there ._.

randomspot555

Walled by bronzong........ Mixmence is a better fit. I'd take Dragonite over mence anyday. It has a ridiculous move pool and better stats.

Dragonite has mildly better stats, but the big difference is their speed, which makes Mence the much better option for offense, as well as it's great special attack.

Dragonite has a slightly better special movepool, but some of it, like Ice Beam, is relatively pointless. Dragonite's one definite edge over Salamence, offensively speaking, is Superpower.

Neither have amazing stats to wall a lot, but Dragonite gets a ton of support moves with Light Screen, Safeguard, and Thunder Wave.

Mence can take physcial hits a bit better with Intimidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.