• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Riddle Me This! (058)

NPT

Just a member
In this episode, Ash and other finally reached Cinnabar Island ... and Gary was there too. As usual, he was trying to annoy Ash by saying that there's no gym in Cinnabar Island, but he was wrong about that.

Blaine's Riddles were random and tricky, but I liked how Misty figured them out and they found out Blaine's Secret Gym. The Gym arena itself was pretty good, it was suspended over the Cinnabar Island Volcano. The battle between Ash and Blaine was okay, but didn't make sense to me. Squirtle got knocked out too fast! Squirtle a Water-Type Pokémon, so I expected it to put up a good battle. Pikachu defeating Rhydon by hitting its horn with Thunderbolt......was just meh! How in the world Blaine's highly experienced Rhydon got knocked out by just one Thunderbolt on the horn? It dosen't make any sense. Anyway, I thought Blaine's Magmar was cool and it's Fire Blast at the end was epic! It ended the episode with a good cillfhanger.

Overall, this was a good episode and a good way to introduce Blaine in the anime, but the battles were somewhat lackluster.

Last edited:

AdrenalinDragon

This episode is still pretty epic. Ash and the gang having to solve Blaine's riddles to find the hotel and the Gym, and of course bumping into Gary Oak in the process, as he taunts him after Pikachu was begging for food. Once they were in the Volcano, the battle itself was pretty good. The writers also cleverly foreshadowed to us how Ash was going to lose in the Indigo League, with signs of his Charizard refusing to battle and costing him a victory against Blaine. Squirtle was knocked out in one hit by Ninetales, and Pikachu defeats Rhydon with "Aim for the Horn!". I do wonder why Blaine used Rhydon to counter Charizard though. Is it because he is weak to Rock and Ground types? After that, Pikachu had to fight Blaine's hottest Pokemon, Magmar, and was on the verge of being entered in the Guinness Book of World Records for "World's Cutest Lava Lamp". I couldn't take the heat anymore, and needed to cool off from that Fire-Blasting cliffhanger, despite not knowing if Pikachu will survive or not.

9/10

Antiyonder

Overlord
^^^Charmander and Charmeleon are indeed weak to both Rock and Ground Types. Charizard, being a Flying Type in addition to Fire is actually immune to Ground attacks.

But, being both Flying Fire, Charizard is 4x weak to Rock.

I forgot that this was the "aim for the horn!" episode.
It was disappointing that the writers didn't make Blaine look the way he does in the games. That would have been neat to see. :)

Magmar's entrance was pretty cool. )

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I wish we had seen more of Cinnabar Island here other than just the various inns and shops. Anyway, Blaine was entertaining here, and I liked seeing Gary mock Ash at the inn and then get put to sleep by Jigglypuff's singing. As for Ash's Gym battle against Blaine, I was surprised that Squirtle lost to Ninetales and that Pikachu beat Rhydon.

Gillachu

Banned
Ash and Pikachu's "aim for the horn" thing was stupid, but I liked Magmar's entrance out of the lava and Jigglypuff's song scene at the inn lol.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well Cinnabar island seemed interesting, especially the hotels ha ha. I liked how Blaine's gym was inside of the island's volcano, but his Rhydon losing to Pikachu seemed really unrealistic. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
Squirtle getting scorched by Blaine's Ninetales was totally unfair & Magmar being Blaine's ace was fantastic unlike in the R/B/Y games. 7.5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Katsura looked so much better when he was dressed up in his wig than when he revealed his true appearance. His bald self was based on his early Red/Green character art, but I preferred how he looked with sunglasses. Boober versus Pikachu had a good cliffhanger ending, so that made up for it.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This episode was pretty good. One thing that I noticed was that Brock said Ninetales's strongest attack was Fire Spin, but there's still stronger Fire-type attacks such as Fire Blast. Yet another classic error was when Rhydon was beaten by Pikachu's Thunderbolt...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
His bald self was based on his early Red/Green character art, but I preferred how he looked with sunglasses.

I liked how Blaine looked with his wig as well, not just cuz he looked younger but also because he was funnier when he was pretending to be the inn keeper. Once he removed his wig he became too serious and arrogant as well hee hee. :]

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
So Cinnabar's original Gym was demolished because of tourists? It sounded sketchy and hard to believe.

Well Blaine claimed that the island became a tourist attraction over time and gym challengers became scarce. So the Cinnabar gym wasn't needed after that, hence why it was destroyed/abandoned. :[

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well Blaine claimed that the island became a tourist attraction over time and gym challengers became scarce. So the Cinnabar gym wasn't needed after that, hence why it was destroyed/abandoned. :[

Yeah, and we knew that the island was a tourist destination when Gary told Ash on the cruise ship, though Ash didn't believe him lol. Typical naive Ash.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Yeah, and we knew that the island was a tourist destination when Gary told Ash on the cruise ship, though Ash didn't believe him lol. Typical naive Ash.

Well in Ash's defense, since he knew how much of a jerk Gary tended to be, he probably assumed that Gary was lying to mess with him hee hee. But Gary was wrong any ways cuz a gym did exist in Cinnabar.