• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Riddle Revival: The new Pokémon Riddle thread!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Riddle Revival: The new Pokémon Riddle thread!

I just got back here and thought I'd start a new version of an old favourite in the games section, the Pokémon Riddle thread, a game where players try to guess each others' riddles about pokémon that they post. The rules are as follows:

- The first to solve the riddle of the previous poster of a riddle gets to follow up by posting their own
- Guesses should be accompanied with justifications or attempts to interpret the lines so as to ensure people don't guess wildly. Any guesses with no justification may be ignored by the poster of the riddle, and justifying a previously unjustified guess may be treated as solving it
- If the other posters are having trouble solving the riddle, they may ask questions regarding the riddle, or ask for hints in general to help move the thread along
- When a player's riddle is solved, the riddle's poster says who solved it correctly and has to explain any lines the person who solved it couldn't decipher
- A new riddle may be posted if the poster of a previous riddle doesn't post in the thread let's say, a week since posting last

I'll start off with one here:

I am the white beneath the blue
The blue beneath the white
I look like darkness on the way
When I’m beneath the light

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Approved! Guess away!

Sprinter1988

Are you Thundurus? I'm guessing so because "the white beneath the blue" is the white cloud beneath Thundurus' body, "the blue beneath the white" if Thundurus' body beneath the white cloud on its head.
And then the "darkness on the way when I'm beneath the light" bit is a reference to Thundurus being based on thunder storms which come from dark clouds.

If I'm right then here is my riddle:

Another's shadow I may be,
I love to move at night.
Evil eyes and a wicked grin,
I will laugh at your fright

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't thundurus.

Also, please wait until you are confirmed to be right before posting a riddle of your own

(in any case, the answer to yours is likely gengar)

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?

Are you Lugia? The white beneath the blue could be Lugia's white/silver scales beneath the blue of the ocean. The darkness could refer that Lugia always appears as a shadow before rising from the depths. Beneath the light could be if you're watching Lugia from below and swims over, blocking out the light from above.

Or I could be totally wrong XD

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Neither of those.

Sprinter1988

Ok, bit more of a stab in the dark: Kyogre?

It has a white underside, and a blue upper-side.
It lives in the blue sea, under a sky that normally has white clouds.
Its ability brings rain clouds and heavy rain, but the "beneath the light" bit means when it is awake and out in the open, rather than sleeping in the deep sea chamber.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Good guess, but no.

Just to clear things up a bit, I'll say right now, the "blue" here does not refer to the sea.

Sprinter1988

A male Jellicent?

The middle of its body is white beneath a blue top.
The lower part of its body is blue beneath the white middle.
And the darkness in the light bit is because its a ghost type that, when at the surface of the sea have been known to drag sailors to their deaths.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I'm going to guess Altaria.

White beneath the blue refers to clouds and sky, and vice versa. When it's beneath the light of Mega Evolution, it grows more clouds on top of it, which you could say makes it resemble a storm cloud of sorts which would turn the sky dark.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Closest so far, but it's not altaria.

I'd advise you all to not try to think of blue and white pokémon specifically. That won't help you too much on its own.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Castform?

Clouds are white, so the first two lines represent the sky. Under the light of Sunny Day, it becomes Sunshine form, which has a colour scheme a bit like a sunset (orange/red), which is around the time of day when things will soon get dark.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Chibi Muffin has solved it!

I am the white beneath the blue The sky is normally blue, and castform is normally white
The blue beneath the white An overcast sky, like when it is raining can be white. When it rains, castform becomes blue
I look like darkness on the way This does refer to the sunset
When I’m beneath the light Castform is orange when the sunlight is bright

*tosses Chibi Muffin the riddle ball* Welcome back, Chibi!

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
*Catches* Glad to be back!

Alright, here we go:

If you try and find me
If you choose to search for quite long
You'll find a certain trait of mine
Is for your very purposes wrong.
If you try and read up on me
You'll find I have a trait
That suits what I may become
(Although you had to wait)
If you try and watch me
Maybe you'll be impressed
Although I must warn my grand debut
Landed with little success.

Last edited:

Pancham4life

I am Shadow the Pup!
The suits what I may become line makes me think of branched evolutions...

I am guessing oddish/gloomy since it isn't competitive and has a branched evo

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
It's not Oddish, no.

(Be warned that I completely ignore guesses with no reasoning, even if they are right)

Erron Black

The Outlaw
*Catches* Glad to be back!

Alright, here we go:

If you try and find me
If you choose to search for quite long
You'll find a certain trait of mine
Is for your very purposes wrong.
If you try and read up on me
You'll find I have a trait
That suits what I may become
(Although you had to wait)
If you try and watch me
Maybe you'll be impressed
Although I must warn my grand debut
Landed with little success.

Gotta guess Nosepass.

He was very difficult to find back in RSE, which can work for the trying to search and for quite long part.

The 'certain trait' being his nose. However, he doesn't use it to smell like humans, it uses it as a magnet to draw in metals to better protect itself.

What he may become is Probopass. Which suits with the whole nose thing Nosepass had going on. It was also received quite poorly due to it's very off-putting design.

I think the trying to watch him and maybe you'll be impressed has to do with it's nose always facing north or that it seems to not move at all, but actually moves 3/8 of an inch a year.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Not Nosepass either.