• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Riddle Revival: The new Pokémon Riddle thread!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't rayquaza.

Just to get this hint I'm going to guess Volcarona since it is the only one that can use fiery dance and it is a mix between your fire and bug type fighters and with "bearing a cross" it can sometimes relate to religion or folklore?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Nope.

Here is the riddle:

First the firefly shows its tail
Second the rabbit, a fever does ail
And fourth the insect bears a cross
As for the third, you’re at a loss
For as you will soon see, the third
Is something fighters have not heard
The ring is not the third one’s place
Unless the battle scene, I grace

And as a new hint:
Solving this riddle is easy to do
When considering all four are unknown to you

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
What does this mean? To not take them into account? Or rather, their specific identities?

Anyways, to keep this thread alive, I'll guess Unown. The Pokemon is Entei again due to taking Ho-Oh's move, and you said 'unknown'...

This is hard. There's so little to go on without knowing the other four and/or a pattern between them. It's certaonly not helping things that nobody else is posting any more...

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't unown, though you're starting to get the idea of what my hint meant.

To make this easier, I'll give you guys a pointer: how does one normally tell that someone has a fever? And in what way might a certain pokémon possibly emulate this? If you can come up with this, you might come closer to solving this riddle.

Alright, you are definitely a few levels higher in terms of language lol, this is a bit of a toughie

Alright, don't think of the other four, so this poke probably has a tail, fever-like symptoms and an X or cross thing?
as for something fighters have not heard, and going off the exclusive moves idea, I'll have to try to guess Pyroar
It has a tail, sure. It looks enflamed. and i guess its mane could resemble a cross?(Fire blast, ah well)
as for its exclusive move, noble roar. :/

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Not pyroar. I didn't say not to think of the four, and I'd advise to take them into account, as they're pretty important, really.

Just remember that "unknown" might have more than one meaning in this context ;)

Tangeh

I'm gonna say it's freaking ditto because it can transform into all of those hypothetical Pokemon so the form it ends up as is unknown.

Idk man you stumped me two years ago and I'm still stumped. xD

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Gotta agree with everyone else, this one has me stumped. I'm just gonna throw some of my thoughts out there and see if anyone can pick something up and run with it.

I'm not sure how Volbeat and Victini relate to each other, besides the exclusive move thing that was brought up. Although Tail Glow and V-Create (I'm assuming those are the moves referred to) do involve stat changes, so maybe the Pokémon in question has some sort of move or ability with that effect. The last two lines also suggest to me that the subject has some kind of move or ability that helps the third Pokemon's battle prowess in a double or triple battle, though seeing as this is an octoboy riddle, that's probably too obvious. : P I'm also wracking my brain trying to think of the Pokémon referred to by the fever hint, I feel like I should know who it is but can't quite place it. Gonna have to dig through some Pokedex entries I think xD

I'm just going to guess Rotom because it can take several forms, one of which is the Heat forme and thus could emulate a fever? I know it's wrong but like I said, maybe someone will be able to use my ideas better.

I kinda hope it's Ditto honestly

Probably wrong but is it Jirachi

It was introduced with Volbeat, is a 600 BST legendary like Victini, the insect that bears a cross could be reffering to Heracross or Volcarona, and the last part could be reffering to the third eye on Jirachi's stomach and its ability to grant wishes

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Interesting logic there, but no right answers.

Because I've really left you all floundering on this one, I'll clarify that the second line does refer to victini and V-create, while the first does refer to volbeat, but does not refer to tail glow.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Wait a minute I think I see a pattern here

If Volbeat's move isn't Tail Glow, then "showing its tail" might be referring to U-turn. And then the "insect that bears a cross" might be referring to X-Scissor. Together with V-Create, all those moves follow the same pattern of a single letter followed by another hyphenated word. So perhaps the third Pokemon has another move like this (although I didn't find another similar instance on Bulbapedia's list of moves), or even an unreleased move (as potentially hinted by "something fighters have not heard")?

Then there's also the "unknown" part of the hint. Victini is unknown to the average person (in-universe) since it's a Mythical Pokemon, and its Unova dex number is 000. How this pertains to Volbeat is less clear, although it's much rarer in Sapphire than in Ruby (so a pseudo-version exclusive, maybe - i.e., it would be "unknown" to players of Sapphire). I honestly have no idea what the fourth Pokemon is since a lot of Bug-types can learn X-Scissor, but going by the above logic it might be a version exclusive or legendary Pokemon.

...I suppose I don't really have a guess at this point, just trying to piece it all together right now so maybe I'll edit this with a guess later. That or if someone wants to add to this or has their own ideas, by all means. : D

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
U-Turn... V-Create... X-Scissor...

They're all the first moves starting with their respective letters when in alphabetical order!

The first move beginning with W, the missing letter, would be Wake-Up Slap... It's a Fighting move, though, which might not work with the fighters have not heard line, idk.

So I'll say Jigglypuff. Wake-Up Slap isn't good for battle unless the opponent's asleep, and what else is Jigglypuff known for?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
You've cracked the pattern, but no right guesses yet. Try to think outside the box as to what "the third one" is.

Tangeh

Oh, nice one you two. ^__^

Well, if the first two Pokemon are volbeat and victini, and the move starts with a W... Maybe if victini beats volbeat (fire vs bug), then next Pokemon could have an advantage against victini but a disadvantage against the fourth?

I'll go with greninja, with the assumption that the fourth Pokemon is skorupi. Its signature move is water shuriken, which gets very little usage in game. However, greninja can also use water shuriken in super smash bros, so maybe that's what the battle scene jumbo is all about?

Although, I guess there is the issue of the last line. It seems to imply that the Pokemon we're trying to guessing isn't "the third one", but something that can "help" the third one be viable on the battle field... Unless "the third one" is the move itself? My head hurts. xD

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Good logic, but not greninja.

The third one isn't a move. There aren't any moves mentioned besides the three that have already been figured out.

I'll stab with Weezing...
You wheeze when you have a fever, at least some do...
Name begins with W
Bears a cross, skull and cross bones
Probably not the best guess but at least we got around 650 left to guess

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Might be a long shot... but Altaria?

Meloetta can learn Wake-Up Slap. However, the ring is not usually its place because it's not usually a Fighting type. It starts off in its Aria forme first... Like AltARIA?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Fascinating logic, but neither of those.

Tangeh

Let's look at this from a different angle then, shall we?

U-Turn. V-Create. X-Scissor. U, V, X.

"Solving this riddle is easy to do
When considering all four are unknown to you"

Perhaps the letters are referring to Unown. Considering that pokemon moves start with every letter of the alphabet, fighters would have "heard" every "variation" of unown - except for the ! and ?. The only real route I can think of going with this is the ???-type. Eggs used to be the only "pokemon" in the game with the ??? type, except you can't use them in battle. Unless that pokemon is togepi! The "battle scene I grace" thing could also be a subtle hint toward serene grace, one of togepi's abilities.

SO... togepi?