• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rika's Random Junk

-Raiga-

Gah, I suck at shading |D I think the main problem is the fact that I rely so heavily on the burn/dodge tools... It makes shading a lot quicker than picking individual shades, and I'm uh, lazy..... Maybe I should go back to my old style of shading when doing things like fur~
Or at least try to make it LOOK like fur XD

Well, its good to know that I helped a little. The part in the quotes does bother me a little though, as I do understand that it is easier however there is a huge problem with using the burn/dodge tools. That being either a different colored light or reflected light that bounces a color of a surface onto another.

An example would be a red apple on a blue table. The light would bounce off the table and some of the blue would be projected onto the apple's dark spot. Naturally blue looks a lot different than the red of an ordinary apple, or in the case of using the burn tool it would have a crimson color. You may have already known all of this, but I just wanted to make it apparent that light isn't always white or yellow, in which case the burn and dodge tool would be incorrect to use.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Well, its good to know that I helped a little. The part in the quotes does bother me a little though, as I do understand that it is easier however there is a huge problem with using the burn/dodge tools. That being either a different colored light or reflected light that bounces a color of a surface onto another.

An example would be a red apple on a blue table. The light would bounce off the table and some of the blue would be projected onto the apple's dark spot. Naturally blue looks a lot different than the red of an ordinary apple, or in the case of using the burn tool it would have a crimson color. You may have already known all of this, but I just wanted to make it apparent that light isn't always white or yellow, in which case the burn and dodge tool would be incorrect to use.

Yes, I see what you mean~ Like if the character is standing next to a fire or something, that would apply as well, or light reflected from water. These are things I've never really even touched in the past XD
Time to practice! 8D

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Okie, this didn't really turn out too good, but I wanted to post it here cuz I tried a new style of shading on it, trying to follow -Raiga-'s advice~
deoigascopy.png

It was a request done for Mr. Joker~
I used three darker shades instead of just using the burn tool~
Tell me what ya think~

-Raiga-

Okie, this didn't really turn out too good, but I wanted to post it here cuz I tried a new style of shading on it, trying to follow -Raiga-'s advice~
deoigascopy.png

It was a request done for Mr. Joker~
I used three darker shades instead of just using the burn tool~
Tell me what ya think~

On the contrary I think its a great picture. My personal favorite of yours so far. You did a great job keeping the outline thick while making the details within the picture with a thin brush.

The only things I see as a problem on here is mainly some of the shading. I thinks your shading style lends itself well to the bushes on its feet, however I think a harder type of shading would work better for the rest of its legs and body, since it seems more like a hard substance and less of the soft bushes. I think you tried to do it more on the insides of the legs, and it worked well, I would just make the contrast between the greys a little bit more.

I think I forgot to post it before, but this link should help with generally everything from shading to linework. I'm still learning stuff from it myself.

http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#light_stuff

Edit: I almost forgot to mention the work you did on the perspective. It's nice to see a tad more dynamic pose, especially since I know they can be really hard to do. The only mild problem I have with this is I hate when thing like a hand are directly in front of the viewer. The reason for this is I know for myself at least, I would do it to sort of get around having to learn how arms looked in perspective because I could cover it up, and of course I didn't learn anything as a result. The second reason is that when you think about it, what is the chance in real life that you would find yourself looking completely and directly at someones hand? I just think that you would most likely be looking at their hand at some sort of angle no matter how small it be. Perhaps thats just a pet peeve I have though.

Last edited:

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Thankies~!! X3
Hmm, I suppose you're right about the shading~ Though having something like that would require something closer to cell-shading, and I absolutely suck at that XD though, I DID go back and blur some of the lines I thought were too sharp on the body.. maybe I shouldn't have done that |D
I actually was going to try and put the arm in there, but then I realized that his massive hand blocked it out o.o;
I also actually didn't really see that as a dynamic pose |D I just picked the easiest one I could think of for such a difficult looking character, though I suppose I could have done a bit better on at least the fingers, or maybe made the hand be tilting slightly~

Thanks for the tut~ It may help me with my horribleness at highlights~ X3

Last edited:

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Hey Rika~

Just wanted to say that your artwork is awesome ^^
I like to draw as well, but I'm not so good at it...I suck at drawing on the computer (No experience with photoshop) so I just use the good old pen and pencil.
Anyways, keep up the good work!

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Hey Rika~

Just wanted to say that your artwork is awesome ^^
I like to draw as well, but I'm not so good at it...I suck at drawing on the computer (No experience with photoshop) so I just use the good old pen and pencil.
Anyways, keep up the good work!

Thank you~!! X3 Well, no one gets good over night~ I'm STILL trying to get the hang of photoshop! |D

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Yeah, I know getting good takes a while XD The problem is when I take big breaks from drawing stuff. Sometimes there's just loads of other stuff you need to do, and then going back to drawing can be hard :p

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
I was actually just going to~! :3

wolfmincopy.png

I did a little bit of experimenting on the way I shaded the fur, but uh, I think I may need to use a bit more contrast next time |D

-Raiga-

wolfmincopy.png

I did a little bit of experimenting on the way I shaded the fur, but uh, I think I may need to use a bit more contrast next time |D

The fur, yes I would say so. However I think your goal should be to get something like the red petal's shading, as they have the right amount of contrast but still contain your smooth transition style. The green parts are pretty good too, just a bit more contrast to match the petals in my opinion.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~

wolfmincopy.png

Nice pic :3

I like the shading on this one, the colours look nice! The white has less contrast, but it isn't bad or anything, just helps the red and green stand out more.

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
The fur, yes I would say so. However I think your goal should be to get something like the red petal's shading, as they have the right amount of contrast but still contain your smooth transition style. The green parts are pretty good too, just a bit more contrast to match the petals in my opinion.

Okie~ I'll keep that in mind~ For some reason I always have a hard time shading white |D
Nice pic :3

I like the shading on this one, the colours look nice! The white has less contrast, but it isn't bad or anything, just helps the red and green stand out more.

Thanks~! :3
Yeah, I still need to work on getting the right shades for shadows~

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Alright, I just finished this request from a LONG time ago, and I discovered, hey! I CAN still use the burn and dodge tools every once in a while, I've just been using the wrong BRUSH!
So, here's this little experiment. Also, I tried doing a less boring pose, but uh, I think I may want to use a reference next time...
wolfrequest1copy.png

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Alright, I just finished this request from a LONG time ago, and I discovered, hey! I CAN still use the burn and dodge tools every once in a while, I've just been using the wrong BRUSH!
So, here's this little experiment. Also, I tried doing a less boring pose, but uh, I think I may want to use a reference next time...
wolfrequest1copy.png

With the reference thing, do you mean the front paw? Cause it looks okay to me. That sort of pose can be difficult to do.

I just love how you do the fur around the edges <3

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
New stuff yay~!!
lopbuncopy.png

I just got the sudden urge to draw this XD Lopunny is one of the only Pokemon that I actually really REALLY want the shiny form of~ And I want it to be male XD
firelopunnycopy.png

This one's for a contest~ Hope I win~! X3
vaporekisscopy.png

This was a request from Rosemary, I thought it turned out nice~ :3

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Kyaa! That first one with the Loppuny is adorable~ And that's a Vaporeon/Togekiss fusion, right? It's really well done.
I myself really want a shiny Ho-oh, which I WILL soft reset for when I get Soul Silver XD

And I hope you win the contest too ^_^

Rika_of_Thunder

a sleepy creature
Kyaa! That first one with the Loppuny is adorable~ And that's a Vaporeon/Togekiss fusion, right? It's really well done.
I myself really want a shiny Ho-oh, which I WILL soft reset for when I get Soul Silver XD

And I hope you win the contest too ^_^

Yay~! Thank you~

Lol, I tried SRing for a shiny drifloon, but I have no patience and a short attention span so I gave up at 64 XD