• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rimuel Victorious (MtG)

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
A few years back now, I was in Kamotz's MtG RPG and he made Planeswalker cards of all the characters. Now that I'm properly into Magic myself and really invested in Theros, I figured I'd try and do a new incarnation of one of my characters from that RPG. I decided to target the mortal side of Theros, so primarily focusing around Heroic and Strive as mechanics, but with potential to work with Bestow too. And what I got was this:

Rimuel Victorious
1RRW
Planeswalker - Rimuel
3 Loyalty
+1: Target creature you control gets +2/+0 and "Heroic - When you cast a spell that targets this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature" until end of turn.
-1: Each red and white instant, sorcery and aura spell you cast this turn costs 1 less for each creature you control that it targets.
-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have double strike and haste" and "Whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature you control, that creature gains indestructible until end of turn".

First ability is pure Heroic, giving a creature a generic Heroic effect while also giving it a power-up. As far as I'm aware, using the +1 ability on, say, Fabled Hero or anything else with Heroic should result in that creature effectively having Heroic twice, so when you cast a spell which targets them, both their own Heroic and the one given by Rimuel's +1 will activate.

Second ability is the one that's designed to synch with Strive. It basically does a Battlefield Thaumaturge on every instant, sorcery and aura you cast that turn, reducing their costs. So Launch the Fleet will only cost 1 White no matter how many targets, an Ajani's Presence which targets two creatures will cost WW, and so on. I might remove the color restriction on this one but I'm not sure, need to check all its targets. This also functions as Hero of Iroas, so your Bestow costs get dropped by one too.

I'm still wavering a bit on the -6 and that's partly why I posted this, to get some feedback. I'm not sure if it's too much to give everything double strike and if I should tone it back to first strike. I'm pretty sure the Haste and Heroic for indestructible should be okay, it's mainly the double strike that's making me wonder.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
+1 is decent. Pleasantly mediocre, but useful turn after turn, so it's a good enough ability. It also can't give you massive boosts if you play Rimuel T4 -- same with the middle ability. Both pretty decent.

Double strike should be fine for the -6 -- cf. Domri Rade -- but I think that the Heroic trigger, unless you add cards that apply specifically to Heroic triggers, would be better served being a separate ability on the emblem phrased as "Whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature you control, that creature" etc. It just feels like it would be less clunky.

WEIRD SIDENOTE: I remember that RPG from... I guess a couple years? back. I was originally going to app someone from Arkhos who, aside from the Nightmare part, was surprisingly similar to Ashiok, who didn't exist at the time.

Last edited:

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to see how it would play out to make a Planeswalker focus on keywords like this and I'm quite glad about how he turned out. I'll reword the ultimate to what you suggested.

I've now randomly started on an entire set though, bleh. Rimuel's backstory is that he's from Mirrodin and he's travelling the planes trying to get aid to go and reclaim it from New Phyrexia. So now I'm doing a set which is just that - Rimuel returning to liberate his home. I might post the stuff from that once I've developed it more, though so far I have two new keywords, one each for the Mirrans and Phyrexia.

All the wacky projects I get myself into...

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to see how it would play out to make a Planeswalker focus on keywords like this and I'm quite glad about how he turned out. I'll reword the ultimate to what you suggested.

It's not quite what you changed it to -- what I'm saying is to change the text to the following:

You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have double strike and haste" and "Whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature you control, that creature gains indestructible until end of turn."

Similar formatting to Tamiyo. As you had it meant that all of your creatures triggered it and that creature would gain some number of redundant instances of indestructible depending on how many creatures you control. Also, it means that it stays if your opponent drops, say, Sudden Spoiling.

I've now randomly started on an entire set though, bleh. Rimuel's backstory is that he's from Mirrodin and he's travelling the planes trying to get aid to go and reclaim it from New Phyrexia. So now I'm doing a set which is just that - Rimuel returning to liberate his home. I might post the stuff from that once I've developed it more, though so far I have two new keywords, one each for the Mirrans and Phyrexia.

All the wacky projects I get myself into...

Should be interesting, though. If you keep dropping the designs in here, I'll keep commenting on them.