• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ring of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Right, need to get onto building my new ORAS OU team around Serperior. Also if anyone wants to join the war team PM/VM me please so we can arrange test times. That way we can do some wars.

Mega Typhlosion

That sure sounds like an awful lot of disadvantages. I'll experiment with it a bit more but maybe I'll just make a more standard Tailwind team instead. Still up for those suggestions though.

The ideia is good actually, but Amoonguss shouldn't be part of the main core as it almost can't attack and Salamence (physical) or Gyarados can't hit both opponents. Support Pokémon are better paired with spread move abusers like special Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon since they can stay back while the partner takes all the offense. Amoonguss with Eject Button on the other hand, is a perfect match for what you're trying. You can Rage Powder on the first turn, redirecting everything from Mega Gyarados, and get a free switch. On the second turn, you'll have Mega Gyarados with a DD up and an offensive partner that can cover for the Pokémon that Gyarados won't be targeting.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
497.png

497.png
|
lifeorb.png

Serpentine (Serperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe/-Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power {Fire}
- Glare

So yeah Serperior is boss, and with the right support can properly wreck face. You just need team members. So what beats it? Heatran walls us pretty nicely, so that's a problem. Talonflame is one of the best checks to it with that priority Brave Bird. Not much outspeeds it bar Mega Lopunny (who I guess can check it), Mega Manectric (again, kind of), Raikou and Starmie (both don't do anything to Serperior who threatens them with STAB Leaf Storm).

So who helps Serperior? Landorus- T sticks out for me as it checks pretty much all of my problems bar Starmie and sets up Stealth Rock. Also a slow U- Turn means Serperior can get in safely. Oh, Landorus- T also attracts Rotom- Wash for Serperior to set-up on. Lati twins and Starmie are now problems, so a Pursuit user would be good. TTar and Lando kind of conflict, Scizor, Metagross and Bisharp (oh look, all 3 are Steel types...) work alright though I hate Bisharp's fragility (it's meant to switch into Defog, not Draco Meteor but it's my Lati check. Plus Reflect Type Starmie exists). I have no Mega spot so the other 2 work, but Mega Metagross is being suspected at the moment. Not that I need a Pursuit user; Mega Diancie beats the Lati's nicely but loses to Starmie (although Rock/Ground typing conflicts with Lando but hey, another Talonflame check). Ferrothorn maybe? Landorus- T may not be my best team member, but who knows hey?

Romeo32

The ideia is good actually, but Amoonguss shouldn't be part of the main core as it almost can't attack and Salamence (physical) or Gyarados can't hit both opponents. Support Pokémon are better paired with spread move abusers like special Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon since they can stay back while the partner takes all the offense. Amoonguss with Eject Button on the other hand, is a perfect match for what you're trying. You can Rage Powder on the first turn, redirecting everything from Mega Gyarados, and get a free switch. On the second turn, you'll have Mega Gyarados with a DD up and an offensive partner that can cover for the Pokémon that Gyarados won't be targeting.
That's a really great idea. I forgot Eject Button even existed but that definitely sounds like a good strategy. So at this point I should start looking for partners that take out M-Gyarados' checks/counters. Rotom isn't really an issue because of Mold Breaker Earthquake, but I'd either have to protect my partner or have a flying type as my partner. Talonflame might be a good partner since it's immune to EQ and can beat bulky grass types like M-Venusaur that Gyarados doesn't like. Kangaskhan would cause a lot of problems at this point so I may want to add Terrakion since it's pretty much the best Khang counter in VGC. I might want to find a Tailwind or Icy Wind user for speed control too.

Thanks for getting me off on the right track. Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful. :)

Mega Typhlosion

That's a really great idea. I forgot Eject Button even existed but that definitely sounds like a good strategy. So at this point I should start looking for partners that take out M-Gyarados' checks/counters. Rotom isn't really an issue because of Mold Breaker Earthquake, but I'd either have to protect my partner or have a flying type as my partner. Talonflame might be a good partner since it's immune to EQ and can beat bulky grass types like M-Venusaur that Gyarados doesn't like. Kangaskhan would cause a lot of problems at this point so I may want to add Terrakion since it's pretty much the best Khang counter in VGC. I might want to find a Tailwind or Icy Wind user for speed control too.

Thanks for getting me off on the right track. Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful. :)

Talonflame is a very nice Tailwind setter as well so that can work nice in your team for that too. Another good Tailwind setter, that has been working better for me than Talonflame in that role is Crobat. Very underrated, but Super Fang is extremely useful to ensure some OHKOes. Can also abuse Brave Bird, is immune to Fake Out, and can use a Focus Sash unlike Talonflame. But Talonflame has Gale Wings, so, it may end up being better. Up to you.

Terrakion should be careful because of this:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 219-258 (131.9 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It may act as a revenge killer though. And it has a strong Rock Slide to abuse, so it's definitely a nice Pokémon in VGC.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I kind of mentioned this in my earlier post, but Mega Metagross is being suspect tested. Can't really say I was surprised although to me that thing isn't actually broken. It's good, very much so, but not unbeatable. Greninja was pretty unbeatable, Mega Salamence too. Metagross has plenty of checks and even a few counters in OU depending on moveset; Gliscor/Landorus- Therian tank non-Ice Punch variants, Slowbro and other bulky Waters beat non-Grass Knot variants and things like Heatran and Talonflame (provided Heatran is Scarfed) can revenge kill Metagross. However it is insanely good with amazing stats, good moveset and a nice ability. It's like Charizard - until you know the set you can't beat it, so you may be sacking a Pokemon to do so. Charizard isn't banned is it? I'm kind of hoping it's not banned so I can use it on my OU team, or maybe run a special set to surprise checks/counters (not that Metagross would benefit or even win with a set like that).

What do you guys think?

Spacial

procrastination
I think for me Mega Metagross isn't a threat at all - it has lots of exploitable weaknesses anyway and Fire, Ground, Dark and Bug to an extent (among others) are types which get a lot of use in OU and can defeat it without too much trouble (for me at least, idk). I was wondering what the suspect test was for though.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Can we just take a moment to thank about this; Hydro Pump, which has an accuracy of 80%, missed 9/10 times for me. But Ice Beam, which has a 10% chance to freeze, freezes my opponents 7/10 times.

Anyway, just did a couple of battles on showdown. Totally destroyed my opponent both times. First was because my opponent was totally crap and he only tried to attack my pokemon once. He did too much switching. The second time because of hax, probably. I froze his whimsicott, and his hydro pump missed. I would have won 4-0 but his discharge paralysed both my pokemon and lapras couldn't move for two turns with +2 ice shard. Anyway. Quite happy with my team. Right now anyway, i tend to be pretty bipolar about it.
Just got to force myself to do my physics homework. It's a lot of writing and thinking and i've been putting it off for almost a week.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I think for me Mega Metagross isn't a threat at all - it has lots of exploitable weaknesses anyway and Fire, Ground, Dark and Bug to an extent (among others) are types which get a lot of use in OU and can defeat it without too much trouble (for me at least, idk). I was wondering what the suspect test was for though.

Yeah it's for Metagross. Can't see anything else being banned after it to be honest, maybe Mega Sableye? I doubt it since Fairy types ruin it, but who knows. But looking at it what Bug types are there really in OU, and how many Bug type moves are used? U- Turn and Scizor basically. Of course things like Beedrill, Heracross and Pinsir exist but they aren't overly seen to be honest. But for Metagross I think its the combination of stats. 110 Speed is amazing alongside 80/150/110 bulk and 145 Attack boosted by Tough Claws. Even 105 Special Attack isn't bad. I don't have issues with it, but then again I run Rotom- Wash + Landorus- Therian on my last team, so yeah. It's like Talonflame; you need a counter to it or you lose.

Can we just take a moment to thank about this; Hydro Pump, which has an accuracy of 80%, missed 9/10 times for me. But Ice Beam, which has a 10% chance to freeze, freezes my opponents 7/10 times.

Anyway, just did a couple of battles on showdown. Totally destroyed my opponent both times. First was because my opponent was totally crap and he only tried to attack my pokemon once. He did too much switching. The second time because of hax, probably. I froze his whimsicott, and his hydro pump missed. I would have won 4-0 but his discharge paralysed both my pokemon and lapras couldn't move for two turns with +2 ice shard. Anyway. Quite happy with my team. Right now anyway, i tend to be pretty bipolar about it.
Just got to force myself to do my physics homework. It's a lot of writing and thinking and i've been putting it off for almost a week.

Well that is certainly an unlucky opponent. But Hydro Pump only has 8PP, so how did it miss 9 times and hit once? Anyway, what's your team?

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I think he is talking about the percentage of times it hits and not the the PP

Aah, that's probably it. Still, I'd hate to be the person who missed a bunch of times and was frozen about 7 times. That would suck.

I suddenly don't have much to add, how peculiar.

Wego

WeCounting Stars
I'm thinking about the building a team around my reckless Emboar the set I am using is
Emboar@Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Nature: Brave
EVs: Hp 252, Atk 252, and Sp Atk 4
Moves: Head Smash, Flare Blitz, Scald, Sucker Punch
I like this set I have made it will work better in a Trick Room team I posting it to see if any of you guys can find any problems with it

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'm thinking about the building a team around my reckless Emboar the set I am using is
I like this set I have made it will work better in a Trick Room team I posting it to see if any of you guys can find any problems with it

I don't know what tier you're doing this for; if it's VGC then I'm of little help, although Scald is rarely run. Perhaps try Grass Knot or Wild Charge. I'd run Life Orb personally for more overall power, but be prepared to lose this thing to faster threats and to recoil.

Wego

WeCounting Stars
I don't know what tier you're doing this for; if it's VGC then I'm of little help, although Scald is rarely run. Perhaps try Grass Knot or Wild Charge. I'd run Life Orb personally for more overall power, but be prepared to lose this thing to faster threats and to recoil.

I'm doing this for OU I to have little knowledge on VGC myself I know there are a lot of other moves I can use instead of Scald but I wanted to use it is rare to see like you said Life Orb has me do more damage to myself that I would like but I can not lie about the damage I do to the opponent. I know the thread can hurt me one is Talonflame even without Gale Wings it can out speed the mighty pig a lot of other thing as well but I can make it work for me.

Romeo32

I'd recommend Wild Charge over Scald. It takes advantage of Reckless and can smack water types in the switch in. Trick Room is kind of a pain to pull off in singles, but if it works it can be very hard for your opponent to play against.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Imo, the Mega Metagross suspect (and impending ban) is ridiculous. The only reason people don't like it is because it takes out Hyper Offense, which everyone in the high ladder plays. Stall demolishes Mega Metagross, and I think they should leave it unbanned in order to balance the metagame away from Hyper Offense.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'm doing this for OU I to have little knowledge on VGC myself I know there are a lot of other moves I can use instead of Scald but I wanted to use it is rare to see like you said Life Orb has me do more damage to myself that I would like but I can not lie about the damage I do to the opponent. I know the thread can hurt me one is Talonflame even without Gale Wings it can out speed the mighty pig a lot of other thing as well but I can make it work for me.

Choice Scarf is this is singles, since that's basically the best you'll get. Emboar isn't too bad though in complete honesty; it absolutely wrecks every Steel type including Heatran, can catch Talonflame on the switch possibly with Reckless Wild Charge/Head Smash and ruins Mega Sableye pretty nicely. But Life Orb + Reckless recoil means Emboar will die quickly. Even without the Life Orb it'll die to recoil relatively quickly. Bear in mind Darmanitan is faster and stronger than it, but Emboar isn't Stealth Rock weak and is bulkier in a metagame it's going to get beaten in anyway. But people are saying that about Serperior, so I wouldn't discourage Emboar for now. Try this:

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Earthquake / Head Smash / Sucker Punch

Wish support would be good, something to beat Talonflame would be appreciated and anything to take advantage of Emboar destruction. It's not a great Scarf user, so you may want Choice Band but then it's far too slow. It'll hit like a truck anyway. Perhaps consider bulky VoltTurn to help bring Emboar in to beat things? Landorus- Therian, Rotom- Wash, (Mega) Scizor, Jirachi and Raikou are all good. Jirachi has Wish which is nice, and Rotom- Wash/Landorus-T/Raikou check Talonflame. Jirachi + Rotom- Wash + Emboar is actually a nice pairing as Jirachi beats the Lati twins, Rotom- Wash beats Talonflame and Emboar ruins Ferrothorn and other bulky Steel types. Jirachi can also run Stealth Rock and Wish which makes it a nice partner. Typing wise everything is checked nicely, but things like Mega Charizard X can set up on your team and sweep, same as Garchomp. So something like Unaware Clefable or a Scarf/bulky Landorus- Therian to deal with them is nice. This isn't Trick Room since as Romeo32 said, it's such a hard playstyle to pull off in Singles OU. With Stall being a nightmare to deal with as well Emboar ruins many of their main users:

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Emboar: 108-127 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Emboar: 138-163 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252 Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 160-190 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Scarf Landorus, but still)

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 134-158 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 346-408 (96.3 - 113.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 108-128 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- 75.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock (not fantastic, but how many Pokemon can say they do that much to Mega Slowbro with a physical hit?)
252 Atk Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

There you go, some things to consider.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Well that is certainly an unlucky opponent. But Hydro Pump only has 8PP, so how did it miss 9 times and hit once? Anyway, what's your team?

I was taking about the percentage thing. I was gonna say I posted my team a while back, but then I realised that this wasn't THT. So i'll just get it for you!
(The pokemon are Cresselia, Meowstic-M, M-Camerupt, Talonflame, Landorus-T and Lapras.

I think he is talking about the percentage of times it hits and not the the PP

Yep. Also, i'm a girl sorry. (I don't mind just *the more you know*)

Team:

323.gif

Rat-A-Tat @Cameruptite
Solid Rock --> Sheer Force
Quiet Nature
~ Eruption
~ Earth Power
~ Protect
~ Solar Beam

488.gif

Cresselia @Mental Herb
Levitate
Sassy Nature
~ Trick Room
~ Helping Hand
~ Psyshock
~ Ice Beam

663.gif

Talonflame @Leftovers
Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
~ Brave Bird
~ Roost
~ Protect
~ Will-O-Wisp

645-therian.gif

Landorus-T @Yache Berry
Intimidate
Adamant Nature
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Protect
~ Knock Off

678-m.gif

Meowstic-M @Eject Button
Prankster
Timid Nature
~ Fake Out
~ Toxic
~ Quick Guard
~ Sunny Day

131.gif

Lapras @Weakness Policy
Water absorb
Quiet Nature
~ Freeze Dry
~ Hydro Pump
~ Protect
~ Ice Shard

Last edited:

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I need to work on my team, but my comment to Wego (or massive point I made) about his Emboar team led me to remember Jirachi is now OU which I completely forgot. I could use it on my OU team as a check to the Lati's since a specially defensive set would be cool with Stealth Rock + Wish as I described to Wego, since a Scarf user would be redundant with Serperior who'll be my main revenge killer, sweeper and wallbreaker. Not saying I wouldn't use it if it was UU, but I tend to forget what stuff is in what tier when I'm playing a different one. I will wait to see how the Metagross testing goes though since I really want to use that on my OU team, but we'll see. If it's banned I'll try something else like Jirachi.

Team:

323.gif

Rat-A-Tat @Cameruptite
Solid Rock --> Sheer Force
Quiet Nature
~ Eruption
~ Earth Power
~ Protect
~ Solar Beam

488.gif

Cresselia @Mental Herb
Levitate
Sassy Nature
~ Trick Room
~ Helping Hand
~ Psyshock
~ Ice Beam

663.gif

Talonflame @Leftovers
Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
~ Brave Bird
~ Roost
~ Protect
~ Will-O-Wisp

645-therian.gif

Landorus-T @Yache Berry
Intimidate
Adamant Nature
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Protect
~ Knock Off

678-m.gif

Meowstic-M @Eject Button
Prankster
Timid Nature
~ Fake Out
~ Toxic
~ Quick Guard
~ Sunny Day

131.gif

Lapras @Weakness Policy
Water absorb
Quiet Nature
~ Freeze Dry
~ Hydro Pump
~ Protect
~ Ice Shard

Decent team, nice. However I don't know if having just 1 Sunny Day user is a good idea or not. Plus I'd run Fire Blast/Flamethrower > Eruption for more overall power and since you won't always guarantee Trick Room up before Camerupt starts spamming Eruption.

Last edited:

Spacial

procrastination
Shade, have you finished your team ingame?

And Snivy when I said Bug types I meant Volcarona because I use it.

I think Emboar has such a weak defensive typing and it's too slow to be any use. Some people could use it well but I'll stick to Infernape thanks :3 I still think Tyrantrum should get more use - it has better coverage of OU Pokemon (such as Talonflame) imo and stat-wise (I think, I haven't looked it up) is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.