• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ring of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romeo32

Nice to see some competitive discussion going on here, I like it. Mega Diancie and Fairy types in general are the new face of Bulky Offense, which Metagross supposedly checks and handles. Mega Sableye is basically on every imaginable Stall team there is and Metagross is chosen for Hyper Offense due to stats. Offense has a mixture of them all I suppose. I just think that Smogon's ideas of why we should ban Metagross would mean we might as well ban Charizard and Gardevoir too since they all break walls and can sweep. Metagross is quicker and bulkier but needs help breaking the metagame and only really gets boosts to it's dual STAB and a couple of coverage. MCX only needs its STAB's and Earthquake, if that. Gardevoir only really runs Hyper Voice and Focus Blast; the other 2 moves could be anything. It's going to be an interesting ban if it happens, here's to hoping it doesn't.

Oh, and congrats on your shiny Ponymon :).
Oh, it's gonna happen. I can't remember a single thing recently that has been suspected and not banned in the end. I don't know if I'm going to do Smogon battles anymore, unless it's something like the Monogen tourney, maybe I'll dabble in the lower tiers but from what I hear they're kind of a mess too. Hopefully Smogon will get their act together in Gen VII, but I have a feeling the power creep will just make it worse than it already is.

Mega Typhlosion

Although I'm not inside the whole metagame, I'm always against banning stuff. VGC never banned anything and everything works out fine. Banning stuff because they're overcentralizing will made other Pokémon overcentralizing. Something has to be the top threat. They ban Salamence, Greninja becomes a menace, they ban Greninja, Metagross is everywhere, then ban Metagross and something else will overcentralize the tier. And suddenly you have 5 Pokémon in OU, an Uber tier with more non-legends than legends, and people will start playing Ubers instead, which will lead to more bans to AG, because Greninja can't compete with stuff like Mega Mewtwo and Primal Groudon.

The original idea was okay, but they've lost control of it. I'm pretty sure that if they unban everything since XY, from Mega Lucario to Greninja, the OU tier will have enough balance and nothing will be overcentralizing. If you have already about 15 broken Pokémon is because they aren't broken!

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I don't discourage some bans; Mega Salamence had no definitive counters since it had so many sets including offensive DD, SubDD, Mixed, Special and even a defensive set (which is something I'd like to try in Ubers). Greninja had a huge movepool that didn't give it 4MSS, since it chose its moves based on team requirements. The best counter to it was Tentacruel and Porygon2; the former could be beaten by Extrasensory and the latter should never be used in OU. So those 2 should've been banned. But Metagross isn't anything like those Pokemon - it hits like a truck but has so many checks available to beat it, and it can't boost that Attack. It's centralizing I guess if it's going to be banned, but I think people just want stuff banned because they don't like facing it. There was an argument that Metagross has meant certain Pokemon are used more, but apparently the top 10 Pokemon before Metagross are still the top 9 (Greninja was there somewhere) - Metagross is 13th. I think the Aegislash ban was what changed things; Smogon lost its confidence there so to speak since people banned it since they hated playing it.

I've tested both Sieste23 and WhyBuffet, and both won their matches (the first time I've lost to test recruits as well, congrats guys). So could Fire Hero please update the war post with our new members, that'd be awesome. I loved Sieste23's team and the fact that WhyBuffet beat me with the wrong team is hilarious, so kudos to both. I've been reading some more on the Mega Metagross ban and now I want to build a Stall team around Alomomola since it's pretty damn good. It checked both Greninja and now Mega Metagross funnily enough, Regenerator is badass and it looks cool. Why not? I never did build my Serperior team, but hey ho. I might go to RU actually, quite a few things to build around there.

Palindrome (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def/-Atk)
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

This thing is so annoying it's awesome, physically defensive because most Special attackers will smack it hard anyway. This thing makes Landorus- Therian it's ***** basically. Amazing.

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

I don't discourage some bans; Mega Salamence had no definitive counters since it had so many sets including offensive DD, SubDD, Mixed, Special and even a defensive set (which is something I'd like to try in Ubers). Greninja had a huge movepool that didn't give it 4MSS, since it chose its moves based on team requirements. The best counter to it was Tentacruel and Porygon2; the former could be beaten by Extrasensory and the latter should never be used in OU. So those 2 should've been banned. But Metagross isn't anything like those Pokemon - it hits like a truck but has so many checks available to beat it, and it can't boost that Attack. It's centralizing I guess if it's going to be banned, but I think people just want stuff banned because they don't like facing it. There was an argument that Metagross has meant certain Pokemon are used more, but apparently the top 10 Pokemon before Metagross are still the top 9 (Greninja was there somewhere) - Metagross is 13th. I think the Aegislash ban was what changed things; Smogon lost its confidence there so to speak since people banned it since they hated playing it.

I've tested both Sieste23 and WhyBuffet, and both won their matches (the first time I've lost to test recruits as well, congrats guys). So could Fire Hero please update the war post with our new members, that'd be awesome. I loved Sieste23's team and the fact that WhyBuffet beat me with the wrong team is hilarious, so kudos to both. I've been reading some more on the Mega Metagross ban and now I want to build a Stall team around Alomomola since it's pretty damn good. It checked both Greninja and now Mega Metagross funnily enough, Regenerator is badass and it looks cool. Why not? I never did build my Serperior team, but hey ho. I might go to RU actually, quite a few things to build around there.

Palindrome (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def/-Atk)
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

This thing is so annoying it's awesome, physically defensive because most Special attackers will smack it hard anyway. This thing makes Landorus- Therian it's ***** basically. Amazing.

Added them both to the War Team post. Do you guys want trainer sprites near your names in there? If yes, which ones?

Mikazuki Marazhu

of the Furry Fandom
Username: Marazhu
3DS Friend Code: 2681-1843-8582
PS Name: Marazhu Mallun
Desired Division: Bright Flames Division
Favorite activity in game: Battling/Collecting Pokemon
Favorite Battle Tier: Mixed but will never touch uber tiers (Please refer to my trainer card).
Referrer: None
About you: I've been a pokemon fan for 6 years. I never look at pokemon as a hardcore competative videogame. It's just recent that I learned more about smogon rules and whatnot. For the past few days, I've managed to pull of some wins in Battle Spot, proving I can carry myself very well in battles (So long as no one uses uber tier pokemons).

Mega Typhlosion

Username: Marazhu
3DS Friend Code: 2681-1843-8582
PS Name: Marazhu Mallun
Desired Division: Bright Flames Division
Favorite activity in game: Battling/Collecting Pokemon
Favorite Battle Tier: Mixed but will never touch uber tiers (Please refer to my trainer card).
Referrer: None
About you: I've been a pokemon fan for 6 years. I never look at pokemon as a hardcore competative videogame. It's just recent that I learned more about smogon rules and whatnot. For the past few days, I've managed to pull of some wins in Battle Spot, proving I can carry myself very well in battles (So long as no one uses uber tier pokemons).

Denied. There's something missing on your application. Read the rules and try again ;)

Drake would be awesome.
Also minor detail, like every non-dutch speaking player you've put Sieste instead of Sietse :]

Ups sorry, I copy*pasted it from snivy's post and didn't even notice the mistake :p
And actually, I lived in the Netherlands for 6 months so I'm more or less familiar with Dutch words (don't ask me to speak though, I can only say a couple of them lol).

As a foot note, I should be available for some battles tonight (mostly VGC) so send me a VM if anyone wants to battle.

Last edited:

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
Well I'm bored :b Let's see if we could fix that xD

Username: Ivysnake
3DS Friend Code: 2595-0064-5142
PS Name: Ivysnake
Desired Division: Whichever one needs people. if not, then just Bright Flames :p
Favorite activity in game: taking over the world! Collecting rare pokemon.
Favorite Battle Tier: Probably UU, but I'm best at NU.
Referrer: I technically get notifications from Fire Hero since he's a friend, so I guess he did? xD
About you: I'm Ivysnake, I've been sober for 6 years, and I- what is this an AA meeting? xD sorry, couldn't resist. I'm rather funny person, I'm a competitive player on both WiFi and PS, A gym leader usually in a WiFi league (quit for a bit) and I hope I make a fine edition to this Guild ^^

Spacial

procrastination
Well I'm bored :b Let's see if we could fix that xD

Desired Division: Whichever one needs people. if not, then just Bright Flames :p
Referrer: I technically get notifications from Fire Hero since he's a friend, so I guess he did? xD
About you: I'm Ivysnake, I've been sober for 6 years, and I- what is this an AA meeting? xD sorry, couldn't resist. I'm rather funny person, I'm a competitive player on both WiFi and PS, A gym leader usually in a WiFi league (quit for a bit) and I hope I make a fine edition to this Guild ^^

Denied! You're missing something - read the rules and try again :3

I have made little to no progress hatching my Shinx eggs for one reason: I discovered YouTube for the 3DS xD usually I don't watch much of it but idk. I think after I hatch the 13 boxes of eggs I have I'll try to accomplish my goal of completing the National Dex. GTS is the way to go I think because any other way is so very painful and slow.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Isn't it funny how many people don't read the rules? I nearly didn't, but I checked anyway and corrected any mistake I made. Also I'm sorry I misspelled your name Sietse23, I hope that's right now. Anyway, I'll take Looker if possible for my trainer sprite (not that he's a trainer, but still).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should partner with Alomomola for my ORAS OU Stall team?

Romeo32

Isn't it funny how many people don't read the rules? I nearly didn't, but I checked anyway and corrected any mistake I made. Also I'm sorry I misspelled your name Sietse23, I hope that's right now. Anyway, I'll take Looker if possible for my trainer sprite (not that he's a trainer, but still).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should partner with Alomomola for my ORAS OU Stall team?
Pfft, who needs rules?

I really hate stall, it's one of the reasons I'm somewhat disillusioned with Smogon lately, but M-Venusaur might be a good partner, it covers Alomomola's electric and grass weaknesses, and it's only real weakness to psychic could easily be covered by a steel type teammate. M-Sableye is usually the best mega for stall teams (at least that's what I hear), so IDK, but just a thought.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Pfft, who needs rules?

I really hate stall, it's one of the reasons I'm somewhat disillusioned with Smogon lately, but M-Venusaur might be a good partner, it covers Alomomola's electric and grass weaknesses, and it's only real weakness to psychic could easily be covered by a steel type teammate. M-Sableye is usually the best mega for stall teams (at least that's what I hear), so IDK, but just a thought.

Yeah I was thinking of a Grass type, although my main ideas were Ferrothorn, Amoonguss and Celebi actually. Amoonguss forms the Regenerator duo, Ferrothorn comes as a bulky Steel type and sets up Stealth Rock/Spikes and Celebi... I don't know. It's a good Keldeo check I suppose. In practice I have no clue if this'll be a finished team or even a good team, depending on how interesting RU or Ubers looks (since I'd like to try defensive Mega Salamence actually - maybe Ubers Stall?) Actually Ubers Stall might be a fun idea - Mega Salamence with an Impish Nature is 2HKOed by specially defensive Primal Groudon without any investment in bulk. Adamant Life Orb max Attack Extremekiller 3HKOes at best with ExtremeSpeed, not counting increases with SD or Salamence having investment in bulk. That's impressive, and something I might try. I'd have to make my own EVs up, but that's cool. It gets some nice support moves - Roost, Defog, Refresh and Wish are awesome and it has nice 95/130/90 bulk.

Last edited:

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
Aw man, I usually find it when I read it. I was a bit off my game yesterday xD sorry.

Desired Division: Whichever one needs people. if not, then just Bright Flames
About you: I'm Ivysnake, I've been sober for 6 years, and I- what is this an AA meeting? xD sorry, couldn't resist. I'm rather funny person, I'm a competitive player on both WiFi and PS, A gym leader usually in a WiFi league (quit for a bit) and I hope I make a fine edition to this Guild ^^ Also I enjoy using Reshiram.

Mega Typhlosion

Aw man, I usually find it when I read it. I was a bit off my game yesterday xD sorry.

Desired Division: Whichever one needs people. if not, then just Bright Flames
About you: I'm Ivysnake, I've been sober for 6 years, and I- what is this an AA meeting? xD sorry, couldn't resist. I'm rather funny person, I'm a competitive player on both WiFi and PS, A gym leader usually in a WiFi league (quit for a bit) and I hope I make a fine edition to this Guild ^^ Also I enjoy using Reshiram.

Accepted! Welcome to the guild ;)

Nice to see you're still around PokéGyms. It was fun to be there, maybe I'll join again... that was the most successful singles team I've ever had (and it had Torkoal...) lol

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Hi Ivysnake so what's going on in the guild

I don't think anything overly exciting has happened in the guild, tournament is continuing as usual and I believe there's something to do with shinies going along? I don't know. I'm trying to build some from of stall team either in OU or Ubers.

Romeo32

Username: Romeo32
Battled with: Fire Hero
Result: Win 3-0
Ruleset: VGC 2015

Result: Win 2-0

Either I'm starting to get the hang of VGC or the team matchup was very much in my favor :p

Mega Typhlosion

Result: Win 3-0

Result: Win 2-0

Either I'm starting to get the hang of VGC or the team matchup was very much in my favor :p

It was both :p I had absolutely no way to get past Aegislash. All single-target moves I had were either not very effective or Aegi is immune to them (Super Fang, Superpower, Draco Meteor, Leaf Blade, Play Rough, Sacred Sword), and everything else are spread moves. You should have seen my face when I realized that while I was picking my team lol

But you did good use of Protect and outpredicted me everytime as well, so well played.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Well I've officially made it my mission to make an ORAS Ubers Stall team, but what to start with is actually pretty damn tough. Arceus, Groudon, Kyogre, Lugia, Salamence and even some OU stuff like Diancie and Latias are all decent options. Apparently Mega Diancie is awesome in ORAS Ubers since Magic Bounce, Rock/Fairy typing and access to Stealth Rock + Heal Bell = annoying *** Pokemon. But I feel everyone runs Diancie on Stall, or Sableye. However Salamence doesn't particularly support much, it's more of a surprising tank. Still, might as well try it right? I might just make this bulky offense though, since RestTalk DD is a cool set. We'll see.

Salamence @ Salamenceite
Ability: Intimidate --> Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def/-SAtk)
- Roost / Wish
- Body Slam
- Toxic / Defog
- Dragon Tail

EV spread seems odd, but Smogon recommends 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe with Jolly Nature. Exactly the same stats except we have 4 more Defense points, so we're minimally bulkier than the Smogon set. Means nothing I suppose, but hey ho I'm picky and like making my own spreads. Sue me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.