1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ring of Fire

Discussion in 'Pokémon Guilds' started by WhyBuffet, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snivy trainer

snivy trainer Driving myself batty

I can't say i have anything interesting to add today, since I've actually been very busy this past week with extra school work and having to redo tests and thus revise more. Sucks when you pass a difficult test but then get told because everyone else in the class failed you have to do it again...

Regardless of my RL woes, time to actually say more topical stuff I guess. I would like to build a new competitive team; either OU or RU is fine to be honest since I need a team for OU and RU sounds like an amazing tier for me, bulky offense everywhere. So yeah, it'll probably be an RU team but we'll see whether I go necessity over fun.

2. Romeo32

Romeo32 Rock n' Roll Rebel

I haven't posted in a while so I guess I'll share my experience so far with the International Competition. So far I have 11 wins and 4 losses. In my first match I flinched my opponent 3 times in a row with Rock Slide, which I'm almost certain is the only reason I won. And then I ended my session on a 3 game losing streak, which was mostly due to hax but also me getting frustrated and not thinking about my plays. I did have one really cool battle though with an amazing comeback so if you guys are interest here's the VS Seeker code for it:
    YBFG-WWWW-WWXG-SPCN

3. Sietse23

Sietse23 *Brainfarts*

Excuse my absence, I was in Egypt and I just realised I didn't say it here.
    If anyone is up for some OU battles, vm me or challenge me on PS.

4. Spacial

Spacial procrastination

Yeah sorry for not posting anything or whatever, I had nothing worth posting about really. Shade and I didn't manage to go to the VGC regionals but I did manage to finish my team (as in breed and train all the Pokemon) so if anyone wants to battle me then it would be great to put my team to use.

5. Mega Typhlosion

Mega Typhlosion Well-Known Member

That is a good record :) My experience is being dreadful. Won my first match, then went on a losing streak provided by the same reasons you mention, hax and frustration, together with really unlucky matchups. My team has a strong weakness to Ice Beam (the main attackers at least) and I suddenly find Ice Beam everywhere! I battled a Latias, a Porygon2 and a Mega Altaria with Ice Beam. Who uses Ice Beam on Mega Altaria?? Really annoying, looked like those guys were made specifically to beat me. I have "Ice counters", but I wouldn't bring them against Mega Altaria or Latias... I made two matches today, one dominant win and a stupid loss, so I'm at W2 L5 and I doubt I'll battle much more. Maybe one or two more battles depending on the result but with the luck I've been having with the matchups I can see me losing once more and closing the shop for the week lol

6. Shade2000

Shade2000 Shade in Shades

This International Challenge looks interesting tbh. Can someone explain it to me, as i'd like to know about it.
    I haven't finished my VGC team yet, but i'm not far off. Almost done EVing. I need to transfer my items over from Y to AS so I need a trading partner but whatever that can wait. In my hurry to prepare for VGC I caught landorus in a Master Ball. It was such a relief not trying to catch it with other balls but, now I don't have a master ball.

Battled a bit on showdown, had some good wins, some closed wins/losses and one silly loss. Feeling okay about it so i'll carry on. I've got a match with Romeo in a few minutes anyway.

7. Romeo32

Username: Romeo32
    Battled with: Shade2000
    Result: Win 2-0, Win 2-0, and Win 1-0
    Ruleset: VGC 2015

Had three battles with shade, (I just combined them all into one form because three of them would take up a lot of space and they'll probably only count as one battle ranking-wise anyway) they were all pretty good. Unfortunately my M-Heracross team that I was working on isn't as good as I had hoped so I'm scrapping it for now. Maybe I'll do something with Substitute M-Metagross, since that seems to be on the rise lately...

8. JohnMango95

JohnMango95 Loyal magma grunt

Hello all! it's been a while since i've been on, but i'm trying to get back into pokemon. i've been thinking about trying to delve back into competitive, so i'll be working on that :)
    i'm sorry for the bit of inactivity from me, can anyone fill me in on the recent events of RoF?

9. Mega Typhlosion

Well, we're finishing the monogen tournament and people here are organizing a runthrough. Speaking of which, do you guys have a set of rules or is it anything goes?

Well, after my recent run of bad games with my VGC team, I'll go back to the origins. My next project will be reviving my old team. I worked on that since 4th gen, and I have some new ideas for it now. Btw, anyone has a HA Typhlosion to spare? I know it sounds silly but I'm an event collector and I want all my events untouched, meaning I can use my own Typhy to breed :/ If not, I'll just clone mine but it takes a little time.

@Shade, the International Competition is the WiFi tournament that was on this weekend. VGC2015 rules, a very nice way to train/test. Even if it goes wrong (ta-da!) you can always see why you lost (in my case, because I didn't have Typhlosion...we'll be baaaaaaack!!!!).
    Btw, what about the regionals? When are they?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  10. WhyBuffet

WhyBuffet Pokémon Breeder

Hey all, not much new to report. Actually, that's not true. I decided to go ahead with my planned runthrough of Black on Saturday (I'm currently at Twist Mountain, but have to slow down a bit to catch up with school). Since the rules for the runthrough have yet to be finalized, may I make the suggestion that it be a Gen V runthrough, rather than strictly a Black/White runthrough? That way I can still participate with Black 2 :)

Also, is it just me, or has everyone been super busy lately? Activity in the guild has really slowed down over the past week. I haven't even seen some of our newest members in weeks.

Also also, Fire Hero, I ca get you the HA Typhlosion you need, provided you are willing to wait until tomorrow to get it. I have class all day and won't have any free time to breed one up, so it would have to be tomorrow.

Also also also, Pokémon Fact of the Day!

[​IMG]

The favourite Pokémon of Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon, is Poliwhirl.

11. snivy trainer

Well I don't have much to say, as I have been quite busy with assessments and such; at least they end Thursday. I haven't done much Pokemon wise unfortunately because of this but I'm sure with my free break that's upcoming I'll be building some new teams; I need an OU one since I need to get the war team going ahead since we have 3 war members and need 2 more plus substitutes. So if you want to be tested please PM me and arrange a time. So yeah, OU team. Might as well start it now since I have a moment of free time. Bulky offense is my style, so I need bulky tanks to build around. Mega Altaria, Mega Charizard X, Mega Diancie, (Mega) Gyarados, Landorus- Therian (Mega) Latias, Manaphy, (Mega) Scizor, Mega Slowbro and Serperior are all nice options. I was also considering Mega Sharpedo actually; it's not used an awful lot and is pretty powerful as a late-game sweeper although it doesn't really fit my bulky offensive playstyle.

12. Mega Typhlosion

Thanks, any Cyndaquil with Flash Fire will do, I'll breed the rest myself since I plan on getting a shiny ;) So, whenever you have the time, hit me up.

I'm wondering if I'll stick with my old Typhlosion set, or if I'll try something new... thoughts?

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Focus Blast / Solar Beam
    - Eruption
    - Protect

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Eruption
    - Flamethrower
    - Solar Beam
    - Hidden Power [Ice] / Focus Blast

HP Ice may be hard to get, especially if I want a shiny, but it's a possibility.

13. Shade2000

Shade2000 Shade in Shades

@Fire Hero I was going to go to regionals with Ponymon, but due to the fact that no-one could/was willing to take us we didn't go. Still, we have our teams and such.
    After I finish making my team then I need to make an OU one, just for Showdown though.

I think I heard about the international challenge before, I think Fire Hero sent me a link over skype and said I should do it :p

Anyway, not much news from me. I confirm my battles with Romeo anyway.

14. snivy trainer

OK, well I've narrowed down my list of what to build around to either Mega Scizor or Mega Diancie. The former is a lot bulkier (70/140/100 compared to 50/110/110) with slightly worse offensive stats offset by its ability to power up its main attacks (Technician boosted Bullet Punch) alongside recovery in Roost. However Mega Diancie has a much better typing offensively (arguably) alongside a superior Speed tier. Mega Diancie is also capable of being a much more dangerous threat compared to Scizor; Diancie can check a lot of the metagame very easily and basically shits on Stall thanks to Magic Bounce and that it beats Mega Sableye and as such finds it easier to set up compared to Scizor, who checks Fairy types nicely and a lot of other boosted threats but finds it harder to set up in a Talonflame, Rotom- Wash and Landorus- Therian infested tier. Arguably Diancie struggles too with Scizor, Rotom- Wash and Landorus- Therian so it's fairly tied I'd say. What do you guys think?

15. Romeo32

For the first set I don't get why you have Charcoal with only one Fire type move, you could use Life Orb but then your Eruptions would be weakened over time, but you could just run Fire Blast over Focus Blast to help that. Also I'm not sure what Typhlosion's base speed is but Timid might be better than Modest.

16. Mega Typhlosion

Because the idea is just spam Eruption. It's the same reason you want Pixie Plate on Sylveon, boost your main move without losing HP or lock yourself into Specs. Timid is not picked for three reasons. I plan on having Tailwind support (same idea behind my Modest Mega Mence), I need the extra power to help Eruption, and the only things Timid outspeeds outside of Taiwind are Jolly max Speed Landorus (not that common) and Timid Hydreigon. Typhlosion is too frail and I'm too unlucky to gamble on speed ties with other base 100s.

Because this is what we're dealing with (+1 for Flash Fire):

Singles: +1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 373-441 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    Doubles: +1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 280-330 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    With Helping Hand partner (my Latias): +1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Helping Hand Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 420-495 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Doubles: +1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sun: 199-234 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

The Choice Specs set is the set I've been using since 4th gen, but sometimes I get stuck wishing I could switch moves and Protect, which is why I'm trying to see what I can do about it. Life Orb is not worth it... I can't lose HP if I want Eruption to sweep. Two turns take 20% out of Eruption's power. It's too much.

The only thing I can change from my usual Choice Specs set is getting HP Ice instead of Focus Miss. It doesn't really hit anything of note barring Tyranitar, but I end up locking myself on a move that misses 50% of the time (or so it seems lol) and Typhlosion is useless the rest of the match. also, Solar Beam with Specs is a pretty damaging move against Tyranitar (on sun) so, it's more or less covered.

I know exactly what weaknesses I have on my team, but I need to get my hands dirty on PS and then on Battle Spot again to see how it works for 2015. I used it on the Beta Competition back when XY came out and 25 wins for 9 losses speak for themselves. I miss my Typhlosion :p Especially because since I tried to make a balanced team and a typical VGC team, my results didn't really improve lol.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  17. WhyBuffet

WhyBuffet Pokémon Breeder

Typhlosion seems like such a monster in Doubles, if you know how to play him right. I mean he's decent in Singles and I love him to bits but... Geez.

Does any one have a good IV Golett with Iron Fist (preferably Adamant) that I can borrow as breeding material?

18. Mega Typhlosion

This has been a nightmare, I can't win even if my life depended on it. I lose to the most gimmick of plays, to the most noobish of players...
    Putting together all the battles I've done in season 8 (including the competition), I won 4 matches and lost 11!! It's so bad it starts being funny xD I finally won a match a few mins ago... but really, I'm under 1450 points, the lowest I've ever got lol

Another fun part, I've lost more times in 8 matches this season than in 20 matches last season. I lost twice as much in the 15 matches this season including the competition, than in 20 matches last season. Same team, same rules, same metagame... Wonderful! :p I should get a prize for defeats in a row lol

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  19. Spacial

Spacial procrastination

Typlosion is one of my favourite Pokemon so it's nice to see it being discussed :D Timid would be pretty useless considering most Hydreigons are Scarfed anyway. I'd go with either Choice Specs or Charcoal, personally Charcoal because I don't like getting stuck using choice items.

Sometimes I find battling so frustrating especially when people use either the same archetypical teams (In doubles/VGC it includes M-Kangaskhan, Mega Kangaskhan or Kangaskhan holding a Kangaskhanite) or when they use these annoying little gimmicks that in no way boast good skill at team building or battling. Which is why (on PS) I only say gg when it actually was a good game.

Also made a little addition to my signature which I feel needs to be put out there (if you weren't educated in England you probably won't understand)

20. Mega Typhlosion

The archetypes I can deal with just fine, the issue is those really close matches that are decided on a detail or a lucky guess that always go against me. I can only win if I dominate the entire game. Close matches always end in a loss. My predictions are always bad but my opponents always predict me, no matter how stupid the move is. Either ALL of them are exceptionally gifted players that figured out my whole strategy from the beginning, or it's pure damn luck, which annoys me for real xD

EDIT: The FPs for the tournament have been updated with the final results. Congrats to the winner: Romeo32!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.