• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ring of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
Here are my full thoughts on everything that was announced in the trailer today. I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case people don't want to be spoiled/don't care.

I really like the idea of the Alolan Forms, and how certain Pokémon have "evolved" (not in the Pokémon sense, but in the actual real-life sense) to better suit their surroundings. Some of these new types are not the greatest (4x Ice, 4x Fighting & Fire, and 4x Steel weaknesses for Exeggutor, Sandslash, and Ninetales respectively), but I really hope they have more Alolan Forms for more old Pokémon, because the adaptation to the environment aspect is, like I said, really cool.

Some of the new Pokémon revealed this time around look decent. Oricorio looks interesting, with different formes depending on what island you encounter it. Typing-wise, I'd say the Electric/Flying one is the best choice, but we'll have to see about stats before I seriously consider using it on a team. The Ability Dancer looks neat, copying things like Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance, Teeter Dance, Swords Dance, and possibly even Revelation Dance, Oricorio's own signature move. Minior is odd... Its Ability is neat but, it just doesn't have the typing to utilize it fully, in my opinion. I do like that you only know what colour your Minior is after its outer shell comes off; that's quirky and I like it. Mudbray is just a pre-evo of Mudsdale, so not much new to say... Gumshoos looks like an acceptable evolution for Yungoos, and before anyone says it, it's not meant to look like Donald Trump. In fact I don't see the resemblance at all (okay, well, I do a little, but it's completely unintentional). Fomantis and Lurantis look interesting, especially the latter. I really hope Lurantis gets some good stats since it looks like it'd be fun to use.

Now, for the big one... Z-Moves. To be honest, Z-Moves kind of worry me, and not because they are super powerful attacks that look awesome. They worry me because they look like they are going to completely replace Mega Evolution. We have seen no new Mega Evolutions revealed for this next generation so far, in fact we have not heard a single thing about Mega Evolution for Gen VII. Now, we get a new "Z-Ring" to wear on our wrists, where the Mega Bracelet usually goes. In addition, we got the reveal of Alolan Forms, which perform a similar role to Mega Evolution: Alolan Forms can breath new life into old Pokémon, just like Mega Evolution has been doing. The only thing is, Alolan Forms can do it without making certain Pokémon broken. So all this leads me to wonder: have Mega Evolution been phazed out completely? Honestly, I hope it hasn't. I rather liked some of the Mega Evolutions, and I wanted to see other fan favourites get the Mega Evolution treatment. To me, Z-Moves are a poor man's Mega Evolution, since they possess many of the same restrictions as Mega Evolution: the Pokémon has to be holding a specific item, and the power can only be used once per battle. The only difference is, the benefits of Mega Evolution last as long as the Mega does. Z-Moves only work once, and who knows if they even hit through Protect and/or immunities. If Sun/Moon has Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, I will be satisfied, but to be honest, based on what we know about Z-Moves currently, I do not see Z-Moves catching on competitively.

Last edited:

yf0x32

Needs more Ground-type changes to old Pokemon. And as for Rowlet, I'm still going along with it, Grass Starters are a must-have!!
I think fire type would be better. Since there are still fewer fire types. And with the Volcano mountain, there might be some fire type changes.

And the poke rides sound like they'll be replacing hm altogether. That sounds like a swell idea. No more hm slaves.

Also, anyone else think they might be scrapping the gym leaders and elite 4 here?

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Now time for some of my thoughts, or my thoughts on others' thoughts.

Here are my full thoughts on everything that was announced in the trailer today. I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case people don't want to be spoiled/don't care.

I really like the idea of the Alolan Forms, and how certain Pokémon have "evolved" (not in the Pokémon sense, but in the actual real-life sense) to better suit their surroundings. Some of these new types are not the greatest (4x Ice, 4x Fighting & Fire, and 4x Steel weaknesses for Exeggutor, Sandslash, and Ninetales respectively), but I really hope they have more Alolan Forms for more old Pokémon, because the adaptation to the environment aspect is, like I said, really cool.

Some of the new Pokémon revealed this time around look decent. Oricorio looks interesting, with different formes depending on what island you encounter it. Typing-wise, I'd say the Electric/Flying one is the best choice, but we'll have to see about stats before I seriously consider using it on a team. The Ability Dancer looks neat, copying things like Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance, Teeter Dance, Swords Dance, and possibly even Revelation Dance, Oricorio's own signature move. Minior is odd... Its Ability is neat but, it just doesn't have the typing to utilize it fully, in my opinion. I do like that you only know what colour your Minior is after its outer shell comes off; that's quirky and I like it. Mudbray is just a pre-evo of Mudsdale, so not much new to say... Gumshoos looks like an acceptable evolution for Yungoos, and before anyone says it, it's not meant to look like Donald Trump. In fact I don't see the resemblance at all (okay, well, I do a little, but it's completely unintentional). Fomantis and Lurantis look interesting, especially the latter. I really hope Lurantis gets some good stats since it looks like it'd be fun to use.

Now, for the big one... Z-Moves. To be honest, Z-Moves kind of worry me, and not because they are super powerful attacks that look awesome. They worry me because they look like they are going to completely replace Mega Evolution. We have seen no new Mega Evolutions revealed for this next generation so far, in fact we have not heard a single thing about Mega Evolution for Gen VII. Now, we get a new "Z-Ring" to wear on our wrists, where the Mega Bracelet usually goes. In addition, we got the reveal of Alolan Forms, which perform a similar role to Mega Evolution: Alolan Forms can breath new life into old Pokémon, just like Mega Evolution has been doing. The only thing is, Alolan Forms can do it without making certain Pokémon broken. So all this leads me to wonder: have Mega Evolution been phazed out completely? Honestly, I hope it hasn't. I rather liked some of the Mega Evolutions, and I wanted to see other fan favourites get the Mega Evolution treatment. To me, Z-Moves are a poor man's Mega Evolution, since they possess many of the same restrictions as Mega Evolution: the Pokémon has to be holding a specific item, and the power can only be used once per battle. The only difference is, the benefits of Mega Evolution last as long as the Mega does. Z-Moves only work once, and who knows if they even hit through Protect and/or immunities. If Sun/Moon has Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, I will be satisfied, but to be honest, based on what we know about Z-Moves currently, I do not see Z-Moves catching on competitively.

I like the Alolan forms too. It's quite cool and also more realistic, as in real life, the same / similar animals live in different places and therefore look different.
It also reminds me of something that seemed to be quite popular a while back, where someone chose a pokemon (eg.eevee) and then drew it crossed with other, similar pokemon (eg. eevee x shine, eevee x lillipup idk).
But yes I do like this. Although I wonder if this counts as another form in the pokemon's original pokedex entry, or is an entirely new entry. Who knows?

All the new pokemon look great. I'm really pleased with everything that's been released pokemon wise. (Although I saw some of the starter's evolutions floating around somewhere and owlet's was cool but the other's weren't).
I'm not too keen on minior either...
Oricorio is probably my favourite of this batch. I was watching some nature documentary in Biology and they were talking about adaptations and they mentioned a bird in Hawaii that is very different on all the islands of Hawaii, so I suspect this pokemon is based off that bird.
I don't believe you when you say Yungoos and Gumshoos are not deliberately based off Donald Trump. Honestly Gumshoos looks even more like the man himself. Additionally, Japan is obsessed with Donald Trump. Have you seen that "kawaii" trailer about him where this girl rides a dinosaur with his face while pictures of him rain from the sky?

At first I thought Z-moves were very cool. Sure, they're totally OP but you can only use them once per battle, which will build in more strategy because one would have to decide which pokemon to use it on and when.
I don't think that they will be replacing mega-evolution, but I don't think it will be such a big thing in these games. I feel like the Alola region is more primitive, traditional and isolated than any one the other regions so far, so maybe the mega-evolution craze in the other regions is more slow to reach Alola. However, I would be very disappointed if they scrapped it, but I don't think they will, it was such a momentous change and they only made it last gen.

I think fire type would be better. Since there are still fewer fire types. And with the Volcano mountain, there might be some fire type changes.

And the poke rides sound like they'll be replacing hm altogether. That sounds like a swell idea. No more hm slaves.

Also, anyone else think they might be scrapping the gym leaders and elite 4 here?

I honestly hope there is a bunch of fire types in Alola. I saw on the news the other day that there is a volcano (?) in hawaii where the lava leaks out annually and flows down to the sea, or something like that. I hope to god they have a fire-type populated island. They seem to have an ice like place with all these ice type alolan forms.

That fact that they might be scrapping the gym leaders and E4 didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. However, now you say it, in the trailer there was four people, one on each island, that you beat and then after that, you gain access to another four. That makes 8, so that could well be replacing the gym leaders.
Again that could be attributed to what I said earlier about Alola being more traditional etc. but I hope it's just a side thing to go along with the usual badge quest, as that is one of the cores of the pokemon series.

If they do get rid of gyms and the E4 though i s2g I will be so angry because I am so hyped for this game and they better not ruin it.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
I don't believe you when you say Yungoos and Gumshoos are not deliberately based off Donald Trump. Honestly Gumshoos looks even more like the man himself. Additionally, Japan is obsessed with Donald Trump. Have you seen that "kawaii" trailer about him where this girl rides a dinosaur with his face while pictures of him rain from the sky?

Even if the Japanese are fascinated with Trump, I doubt very highly Game Freak would intentionally date their game like that by including a US presidential candidate reference.
Besides, if you look more closely at Gumshoos, you'll see what the real reference is soppused to be:

"Gumshoos" sound like "gumshoe," which is a slang term for a detective.
Now, look at Gumshoos' description on the official Pokémon website:

"Gumshoos’s method of targeting prey is the exact opposite of Yungoos’s strategy. While Yungoos prowls around, Gumshoos stakes out its prey’s usual routes and waits patiently for it to come by.
Gumshoos has a tenacious personality, which is why it targets one prey for so long without wavering. But when the sun goes down, it runs low on stamina, falling asleep right on the spot. Gumshoos can withstand a great deal of hunger. It’s able to stay perfectly still while waiting for its prey, keeping watch without eating a thing."

Tenaciously staking out Pokémon and tracking their usual routes? Sounds like something a detective would do.

yf0x32

I honestly hope there is a bunch of fire types in Alola. I saw on the news the other day that there is a volcano (?) in hawaii where the lava leaks out annually and flows down to the sea, or something like that. I hope to god they have a fire-type populated island. They seem to have an ice like place with all these ice type alolan forms.

That fact that they might be scrapping the gym leaders and E4 didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. However, now you say it, in the trailer there was four people, one on each island, that you beat and then after that, you gain access to another four. That makes 8, so that could well be replacing the gym leaders.
Again that could be attributed to what I said earlier about Alola being more traditional etc. but I hope it's just a side thing to go along with the usual badge quest, as that is one of the cores of the pokemon series.

If they do get rid of gyms and the E4 though i s2g I will be so angry because I am so hyped for this game and they better not ruin it.

I'm sure there would be. I mean, there this thing going about how there will be an alolan marowak with a fire typing. Looking at the description of kiawe,
Kiawe is a captain whose expertise is in Fire-type Pokémon. Together with his Marowak, he studies the traditional dances that have been passed down in the Alola region.

And they do have that Volcano area so it would make sense that some old Pokémon get a new fire typing. The question is which and how many

On the other hand, I think it would be really nice to scrap the gym and e4 idea. Its been the same formula ever since gen1 and I think this will bring a breathe of fresh air into the franchise. I actually applaud game freak if this is the direct they're going. It would mean that they listen to their fans, albeit late, but it's been something a lot have been wanting ever since. Also, there's the poke rides which are services ye can call on anytime. Sounds to me like they're getting rid of hms too which would also be a good move. And without gyms, it makes sense that there is no need for hms. I'm pretty hyped for sun and moon even more because of this. Flying with charizard is awesome!

In my opinion, getting rid of gyms is not ruining it, but rather moving forward and evolving the series. This would also let them level up the storytelling of the main Pokémon games. Taking out one part of yer quest and replacing it with something different is a nice change. This is all speculation tho. I'm still alright with the normal formula but a change would be really welcome.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Doing an Arceus code giveaway on my YouTube channel. Click the link in my signature to go to my channel.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
lol I love how Lynx just busts in and disrupts the natural flow of the Sun/Moon conversation. *applauds* Well done Lynx, well done.

But I have to agree with yf0x32, to be honest. While I personally do not want them to get rid of the Gyms/E4, I would admire GF's decision to move forward with the franchise, and "Evolve" it, if you will. A Fire tyoing for Marowak also makes a lot of sense because you're right about everything you said, Kiawe has one and he's a Fire-type user.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Not much more I can add to the Sun&Moon discussion, since a lot of it's already been said. I'm pretty excited to see what awesome new type combinations we'll get for old Pokemon that have adapted to the Alola climates - new Fire and Water types would be cool, as people have been saying about Marowak (although a Fire type Dugtrio would be cooler, just sayin'). Oricorio is still pretty badass - the typings are fairly cool (a new Ghost/Flying and Electric/Flying, always good) but I'm not sure their stats will hold up. I'd love for them to evolve but they'll probably be niche like Chatot.

DJSummers

Ground-Type Champion
Always happy to ruin things

Lol, I like how he attracted a bunch of random people, and only 15 of them can get codes, the other 15 will be out of luck. Shouldn't be too hard to decide though.

And yeah, most of the Sun/Moon stuff was discussed, now we must wait for August 12 for a bit more info.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Lol, I like how he attracted a bunch of random people, and only 15 of them can get codes, the other 15 will be out of luck. Shouldn't be too hard to decide though.

I have no idea what you're talking about. They came for my great pokemon content lol

DJSummers

Ground-Type Champion
Volcanion will be distributed via GameStop in October. I'm going to need people to get me some lol.

I'm sure Lynx will do another Giveaway if he gets enough codes, and it comes down to it!!

DJSummers

Ground-Type Champion
Spotlight Challenge Result Form
Challenge Pokemon: Haxorus
Nature & Ability: Jolly & Mold Breaker
Held Item: Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Moveset: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Poison Jab, Earthquake
Team Theme (Optional):
Challenges Completed: Challenge #1 & 2.
Battle Video: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-410415309

Did do another battle since that one ended in a forfeit from my opponent.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-410412358

And just a random doubles battle where Landorus always dominate! Love when I get Landorus, I always win!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randomdoublesbattle-410327521

DJSummers

Ground-Type Champion
The one I go to gave me two cards for Arceus, so I'm sure they'll give me two for Volcanion. You can have the extra.

Yeah, most places you should be able to ask for 2 for your copies of XY and ORAS. Now, if you go to other Gamestops for more, that's something totally different.

MoonSong

Frosty the Ninetales
Ugggh I hate contests. I basically cheaped my way through Master Rank in Coolness because of Cosplay Pika, literally just stuff it with Pokeblocks, give it a scarf, and spam Quick Attack and Electro Ball.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
I understand that concept art of the final starter evolutions have leaked. Please keep discussions regarding these evolutions in spoiler tags, for those who prefer to be surprised by the evolutions in game (like me).

Status
Not open for further replies.