• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ring of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
It's been a bit inactive around here today.

What do people think? Would you guys and gals like to see another Caption Contest or Pop Quiz to get some activity going?

Sounds great. Even though I didn't finish the last one, it was really fun.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
All right then, another Pokémon Pop Quiz it is!

I wrote this one a while back, and the answer follows the same kind of format as the previous quiz did (my apologies to all you non-native English speakers). After this quiz however, I will attempt to make the anagram answer a littler simpler. In addition, I have greatly endeavoured to create questions this time around that only have one possible answer. It may make this pop quiz a little easier, but we will see. As always, I'll be open to constructive feedback, both good and bad.

I will keep this quiz open until April 17th at 23:59 pm, during which time you can PM me your answers. Everyone who submits the correct answer during this time period will recieve the consolation prize, but the first person to submit the correct answer will be awarded the grand prize in addition to the consolation prize. If you submit the correct answer, please do not share your answers with others! The point of the game is to use your own wits and try and decipher the puzzle yourself. It ruins the spirit of the pop quiz if everyone in the guild is PMing the answers to one another (not that I think you guys and gals would do that, but I feel I should at least state it anyway).

Lastly, Please keep the following in mind when answering the questions for this pop quiz:

If any questions refer to cities, towns, badges, Trainers, etc., the answer will only be the name of said badge, city, etc.

Example:

Q: The badge given by Brock:
A: Boulder

NOT

Q: The badge given by Brock:
A: Boulder Badge

With all of that said, let the quiz begin!

JYv6NQS.png

Palmer enjoys his title as the Tower Tycoon.
However, sometimes the stress of Tower life and home life threatens to…

Clues:

1. The name of the musician at Village Bridge who resides on the bridge itself:
_ _ _ _ _

2. In Mewtwo Strikes Back, Team Rocket mistakes this Pokémon for Alakazam:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

3. The badge obtained from Rudy in the anime:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

4. The lightest Ice-type Pokémon:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

5. An unused default name for the player character in the original Red and Green:
_ _ _ _ _ _

6. In the anime, the "Dragon Buster's" Japanese name:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

7. This Gen II item had the same effect as the attack Swagger:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

8. This city is time's dividing line:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

9. The bargain shop in the Underground is open on this day:
_ _ _ _ _ _

10. The first Trainer you fight on Route 102 in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire:
_ _ _ _ _ _

PHP:
Palmer enjoys his title as the Tower Tycoon. 
However, sometimes the stress of Tower life and home life threatens to...

A: _ _ _ _ _    _ _ _    _ _ _ _ _

Prizes

Consolation Prize:

A Hidden Ability of your choice.

Last edited:

Spacial

procrastination
Argh I really want the prizes, I'll have to get cracking. Off the top of my head I only know the answer to 4 and 8 but 1 I should know, I'm not so sure about the rest. It seems just as hard as the first xD

I hope I can hold my place until Monday morning for the Blastoisinite... Just increased my high score again but I don't think it's enough yet.

What's your high score now? I'm still in the top 4000, but I've dropped a few 100s today and I can't beat my high score any more, so I'm worried that I might not last...

Also, hi everyone, I've been inactive for what feels like years.

Spacial

procrastination
I got pushed out of the top 10000 and can't get back in :/

Speaking of crappy freemiums, have you guys downloaded Pokemon Rumble World? It's just exhausting, I hope there's going to be an actual proper spin-off soon

Speaking of crappy freemiums, have you guys downloaded Pokemon Rumble World? It's just exhausting, I hope there's going to be an actual proper spin-off soon

I did!! I agree that it's exhausting - the gameplay is confusing and it doesn't explain anything really. Shuffle is so much better, but Rumble has potential if the mechanics were better-explained.

On the topic of spin-offs, generation 6 Mystery Dungeon is all I'm after right now

LynxForte

The Phoenix
I got pushed out of the top 10000 and can't get back in :/

I thought it would be promising after playing the first few maps, then realized that they don't evolve so you have to instead do the same maps 5000 times to get a decent pokemon for future maps, so I agree with the exhausting statement as well as annoying

Master Calem

Time traveler fool
Gah! I already got the letters but trying to solve the anagram is twisting me! No tips? heh, just kidding! Nice work whybuffet. Thanks for taking the time to do these

Spacial

procrastination
Gen 6 PMD I'd really like because PMDEOD/S/T were really great, my favourite spin-offs in front of Conquest. Everything about them was brilliant (I even cried in the bit after you defeat Dialga). However, PMDGTI was horrific so I don't have very high expectations, especially with the two freemium games floating around.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Can't really say I've been up to much, I'm taking a more relaxed route at the moment seeing as I've still got a few days of holiday extra before I return to school. My UU team is one of my major focuses right now, and I'd like to get it completed. It needs to be a bulky team, capable of switching in and doing good consistent damage for Swampert to get a Curse boost or two and then sweep. As I've said previously Grass types are my major issues as they simply wreck Swampert. So a Grass type check/counter would be appreciated. A Fire or Flying type works wonderfully for this, and I have a plethora of choice for this. My main options are Arcanine, Moltres, Rotom- H and Crobat. What do you guys think? I'm leaning more towards either Crobat or Moltres personally, but I'd like your views.

Mega Typhlosion

Can't really say I've been up to much, I'm taking a more relaxed route at the moment seeing as I've still got a few days of holiday extra before I return to school. My UU team is one of my major focuses right now, and I'd like to get it completed. It needs to be a bulky team, capable of switching in and doing good consistent damage for Swampert to get a Curse boost or two and then sweep. As I've said previously Grass types are my major issues as they simply wreck Swampert. So a Grass type check/counter would be appreciated. A Fire or Flying type works wonderfully for this, and I have a plethora of choice for this. My main options are Arcanine, Moltres, Rotom- H and Crobat. What do you guys think? I'm leaning more towards either Crobat or Moltres personally, but I'd like your views.

I'd go for Arcanine because I think it's a wonderful Pokémon that doesn't see more play because it's outclassed by some others, but that can be a huge asset. I've even considered running a mixed Arcanine set on my Absol team to act as a back-up Shell Smash BP receiver.

EDIT: Managed to farm enough coins to buy a Complexity -1 on Pokémon Shuffle and increased my high score to over 20000 :D I'm now placed at 1126, and I doubt I'll go out of the top 10000 so the Blastoisinite will be mine! :D

Last edited:

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder

Personally I think Crobat would be a good option, because of its sheer versatility: it 4x resists Grass right off the bat (no pun intended) which is great for Swampert, I'm not sure about the other Pokémon you had in mind for your team but Crobat can provide hazard control if you don't already have it, it can Taunt against stall, it can U-turn to grab some momentum, it's got recovery in Roost, it's super speedy, and (while not the strongest) it is certainly no slouch attack-wise either.

I have a question for all of you who have been playing the free-to-play games, Pokémon Shuffle and Pokémon Rumble World.
So far, how much money have you spent on micro-transactions within those games?

Mega Typhlosion

Personally I think Crobat would be a good option, because of its sheer versatility: it 4x resists Grass right off the bat (no pun intended) which is great for Swampert, I'm not sure about the other Pokémon you had in mind for your team but Crobat can provide hazard control if you don't already have it, it can Taunt against stall, it can U-turn to grab some momentum, it's got recovery in Roost, it's super speedy, and (while not the strongest) it is certainly no slouch attack-wise either.

I have a question for all of you who have been playing the free-to-play games, Pokémon Shuffle and Pokémon Rumble World.
So far, how much money have you spent on micro-transactions within those games?

None in rumble, about 10€ on Shuffle. I keep it under control and try to spend only in "desperate" cases. You can definitely take the most out of the games without spending. The reason I spent was because I was addicted and wanted more hearts or just needed a jewel for something lol

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
None in rumble, about 10€ on Shuffle. I keep it under control and try to spend only in "desperate" cases. You can definitely take the most out of the games without spending. The reason I spent was because I was addicted and wanted more hearts or just needed a jewel for something lol

I'm a little unfamiliar with that unit of money. Is that pounds, or something else? Do you know what 10€ is roughly in dollars? If it's possible to enjoy the games without the need to spend, perhaps I'll Download them just for the heck of it.

Mega Typhlosion

I'm a little unfamiliar with that unit of money. Is that pounds, or something else? Do you know what 10€ is roughly in dollars? If it's possible to enjoy the games without the need to spend, perhaps I'll Download them just for the heck of it.

It is definitely possible to play without money. Imagine if the regular games had an option that let you pay to instantly breed a 5IV. It's nothing you can't do without money, just takes more time. The microtransactions are shortcuts, they give you more playing time and more coins, instead of earning them naturally or waiting for your "lives" to restore.

And € is between the dollar and the pound, but it's close. 10€ are something like 8£ and 11$, so you can tell they're basically the same for lower ammounts.

Last edited:

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
It is definitely possible to play without money. Imagine if the regular games had an option that let you pay to instantly breed a 5IV. It's nothing you can't do without money, just takes more time. The microtransactions are shortcuts, they give you more playing time and more coins, instead of earning them naturally or waiting for your "lives" to restore.

And € is between the dollar and the pound, but it's close. 10€ are something like 8£ and 11$, so you can tell they're basically the same for lower ammounts.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for all the information. I have a long bus ride coming up in a couple of weeks to go back to my hometown, so perhaps between these two games and the game "Box Boy!" that I downloaded recently, I can make the most of my 6 hour long ride :)

Spacial

procrastination
€ is Euro because Europe. It's one of the most used currencies in the world since the wohle of Europe uses it, if you're from America though I guess it isn't very common.

I haven't spent any money on either Shuffle or Rumble :D I've finished all of the Shuffle stages and am lv (or whatever it is) 19 in Rumble, which is pretty good without micro-transactions considering the game hasn't been out for long. I don't really like either of them, I'm just playing them because I have nothing else to do. I'd like to buy Majora's Mask 3D and also Twilight Princess (Wii) but nothing Pokemon related.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Thanks to Fire Hero and Whybuffet for the suggestions for my team. After looking at what could beat Swampert I saw Fighting types as a large roadblock; Heracross and Mienshao both 2HKOed me with unboosted Close Combat/High Jump Kick (Scarfed basically) and so I've decided to go with Crobat. Arcanine is a nice option with Intimidate, Morning Sun + Will 'O Wisp crippling physical attackers and priority ExtremeSpeed, but I feel Crobat covers a lot more and has more useful utility. Of course it doesn't help with my Water or Dragon weakness, but that's what my next few team members will cover. The whole team is mainly about weakening threats to Swampert for a sweep, so yeah.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe/-SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- U- Turn
- Defog
- Roost

The set outspeeds Noivern (one of the fastest things in UU unboosted) and offers me the optimal utility and momentum I want. I don't like predicting with Taunt too much and I preferred U- Turn to Toxic (although it's still an option) and Roost is obviously required. I went Brave Bird > Acrobatics because the recovery from Black Sludge is I feel required on a utility Pokemon like Crobat, plus Mega Beedrill is handled decently by Swampert as well (the only way it's 2HKOing is through U- Turn, and since Crobat removes hazards it's pretty unlikely - Beedrill then becomes set-up bait for Swampert). Alternatively I might run a spread of 240 HP / 68 Def / 200 Spe to be 2HKOed by Scarf Heracross' Stone Edge after Stealth Rock rather than it have a 6.3% chance to 0HKO. I don't know, me trying to be unique I guess. 240 HP hits a Leftovers number so it could work.

Third team member must handle the Water types, so a bulky Electric or Grass type should suffice. Preferably a special attacker, to not be too bothered by Scald burns. Shaymin could be interesting, as after Stealth Rock it 2HKOes +2 CroCune. Trevenant, Amoonguss, Rotom- C and Tangrowth all seem like underused options; Rotom- C in particular has Trick to disrupt Calm Mind sweepers, Volt Switch to create momentum and beats every Water type in the tier unlike, say, Amoonguss. Trevenant isn't bothered by status due to Natural Cure/Lum Berry Harvest and Tangrowth has Regenerator, so it's all good. I'll probably go with Rotom- C though.

Rotom- C @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe/-Atk)
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt

Just realised how much of a problem Snorlax now is (at least if it's Banded, as it 2HKOes Swampert), as are Dragon types. Florges/Granbull handles Dragon types pretty well and Snorlax loses to Fighting types, so we're good. Last member will need to set up Stealth Rock reliably and fix any problems my team has by the end of it. I'm thinking Florges + Cobalion/Pangoro/Heracross (Cobalion provides Stealth Rock, the other 2 just break walls) and then running something like Hydreigon to clean up with a Scarfed set.

Swampert + Crobat + Rotom- C + Florges + Cobalion + Hydreigon could work nicely.

EDIT: Team works OK so far, bit weak to Cloyster and Honchkrow at the moment but it can be worked around. Rotom- C is my weakest link; so much hax comes due to it and it doesn't help me much in my games.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-224308328 - best replay of Swampert wrecking this guys team. I have no idea what type of Suicune it was, but standard CroCune should take 11% max from Waterfall, but this one took 16% (which is what +1 Waterfall does). Weird. Also, if you're wondering why I switched out from Goodra after getting to +4 Specs Goodra cna 0HKO me with Draco Meteor. I figured I could save Swampert for any of the other Pokemon on his team. But you see what my team does: sets up Rocks, forces switches until Swampert can set up. It does decent damage without a boost and is so bulky, able to come in on almost any Special attacker and beat them 1v1. I really like it.

Here's another: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-224314561

Last edited:

LynxForte

The Phoenix
If anyone is available, can you help me trade evolve some pokemon? PM/VM me if you're available and willing to help.

Trades done. Thanks Whybuffet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.