• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rio 2016 Olympic Opinions

chihaya01

Thank you my prince!
As someone who was weary of Rio 2016, I'm still enjoying the Olympics so far and I was wondering how the rest of the Forum felt about Olympics or if anyone on here was even watching it?

Some descussion points can be opinions on the venue (Personally, I'm not a fan), teams you support and why, and any fun things you want to say about athletes or events. Feel free to bring up other things that I haven't listed!

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
I think it's kind of like the world cup; so many controversies but when the first ball was kicked (in this case the opening ceremony), all of that disappeared.

BCVM22

all of that disappeared.

Except for athletes and officials being mugged. Which, fine, you could try and say these people are in areas they shouldn't be after dark, but you'd need some gymnastics (heh) to get to that conclusion intact.

And competition pools being chemically inbalanced.

And shortages of supplies and volunteers.

And unreliable public and private transportation.

And employees and vendors not being paid.

Nothing has "disappeared." It's all still there, just behind the curtain of the actual athletic events.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Plus the tension between nations, the fact that the Brazilian government isn't popular (like how Russia wasn't in 2014), and the fact that doping is very hard to police, with athletes who legitimately try get the short end of the stick and lose any sense of pride they previously had there.

To be fair, I think the Olympics is very much affected by how the world is today, with a lot of loaded topics there.

The Olympics might even be considered a smokescreen of actual problems, not only within itself, but also with the world.

Last edited:

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
xcept for athletes and officials being mugged. Which, fine, you could try and say these people are in areas they shouldn't be after dark, but you'd need some gymnastics (heh) to get to that conclusion intact.

And competition pools being chemically inbalanced.

And shortages of supplies and volunteers.

And unreliable public and private transportation.

And employees and vendors not being paid.

Nothing has "disappeared." It's all still there, just behind the curtain of the actual athletic events.

No, I don't mean the actual thing. I mean like the media coverage of it has lowered.

BCVM22

That hasn't happened either, though. Day in and day out, there is coverage and individual reports of all of those things happening. Again, that reporting simply now has to share page and screen space with the coverage of the athletic events themselves, and fortunately those have gone off mostly without issue.

chihaya01

Thank you my prince!
I agree, I've seen multiple articles about prostitutes, drugs, and problems within the venues themselves. I think the media is tearing up Rio and as a dedicated Olympics fan it's pretty upsetting to see things like this happen. However, I feel like it has really brought some major problems to the spotlight that the government belives will disappear just by ignoring.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
Yeah, I agree that the problems are still there, and the media is still reporting on it. But don't you agree that it has gone down a bit since the start of the Olympics? (Or it could just be the newspapers I read don't cover it a lot) I don't see it that often on TV either (I'm in Canada, so we only have like CBC).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Meh it should have been hosted by Chicago imo. The only events I found pretty interesting are the volleyball and basketball events. I wish Baseball and softball were events though since this is the second Olympics it's been absent from. At least it's returning in 2020s Olympics though.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
Meh it should have been hosted by Chicago imo

I don't even know why Rio is hosting it. Brasilia's way better, and Buenos Aries is decent too. I don't even know what's on the government's minds right now.

chihaya01

Thank you my prince!
Japan will be bringing back Baseball! It's not a surprise since that's a very popular sport there. Speaking of Japan, I'm actually working on saving enough money to go with a friend! Also I see new articles every day about problems in Rio. I think yesterday or the day before a camera fell from the ceiling. The day before that it was prostitutes.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The only Olympic sport I can sit through right now is basketball. It's too bad baseball wasn't being played in this years Olympics. I just can't sit through the other sports.

I'm an american football, basketball, baseball and hockey fan. :p

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
The only Olympic sport I can sit through right now is basketball

Really? Not even 100m sprint? You literally need to sit only for 10 seconds lol. I don't really watch basketball because the gold medal isn't really the biggest title (I think NBA Championship is), same for soccer, tennis, etc.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Really? Not even 100m sprint? You literally need to sit only for 10 seconds lol. I don't really watch basketball because the gold medal isn't really the biggest title (I think NBA Championship is), same for soccer, tennis, etc.

I just don't care to watch other people run :p In high school I actually ran track, but I didn't stick with it for all 4 years. I've always been an american football guy. American football, basketball and baseball are the sports I played in school.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
I've mainly been watching the track and field events since those are the only parts of the Olympics that interest me. Swimming and gymnastics are boring. Sometimes I watch volleyball and badminton or another obscure thing like that.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
I've mainly been watching the track and field events since those are the only parts of the Olympics that interest me. Swimming and gymnastics are boring. Sometimes I watch volleyball and badminton or another obscure thing like that.

Wait... But what's the difference between 100m dash and 100m freestyle for you?