• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Riots; what would drive people to do such a thing?!

Brumrha

Banned
There have always been protests all around, & I'll admit that this has existed since the earliest governments were formed way back when. However, there are also those protests that can cause destruction wherever the mob walks. These are called riots, which are more violent.

As much as I like violence, sometimes I fail to see exactly why these people would go from your run-of-the-mill citizen into a berserk vandal. Of course, you'll sometimes see people riot over some important political matters, but there are some that will get all Bipolar over some minor things like a ban of hunting a certain game or something like that. Worse still, sports fans can sometimes get riled up to the point in which they take destructive measures for "expressing their joy" or something...

In short, I'm asking this: Why would people all of a sudden get involved in riots?

That's it for me.
*retreats into the panic room*

Pokemonwarrior

I Am Your Nightmare
Fear/Anger/Greed/Drunkenness/Ill Manners all can start riots, also usually a few people will start it then convince others to join in.

Riots are a symptom of an internal problem, depending on the situation, they can either be started by protests or could be a retaliation by a group that has been out of control for too long, the reason a lot of people who were not involved in the original protest is simply people giving in to their desire to be a part of something, and an opportunity to express their own desires for chaos, although it is not a very correct practice many will simply be drawn to itfor the excitement, it sounds rather strange, but it is no different than joining in the cheering or booing in a large crowd

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
The fact that they're in a group reinforces their mentality.

They think stuff like "Well, everyone else is vandalizing, guess that means it's okay" and "It's not like the police will catch ME specifically, the others are all doing the same thing".

Basically, people feel safe in groups, so they act however the rest of the mob acts

Penguinist Trainer

I agree with ChronaMew. It is very easy to get sucked up into the mentality of the people surrounding you. I do know that there are a lot of riots which are generally caused by either oppression or other factors that would cause discontent. The problem with people though is that large crowds are like alcohol, it can cause people to do things that they normally wouldn't do on their own. I think it's the whole courage thing... one person by themselves might not stand up to an armed soldier, but when you put a hundred people behind him all standing with him in support, it is easier to be courageous.

Think of a sporting event where the home team just lost. 1 angry fan might not be angry enough to trash the streets and flip cars. Now get a whole stadium full of angry fans and that anger is going to come out in one form or another.

PERSONA

colour spectrum
Groups have a mind of their own, psychical strength is stronger than intellectualism in such instances, so naturally a large group of people would eventually turn into a riot.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
People submit their power to an authority in order to secure peace. If the authority can no longer support peace, then rebellion is justified. This is outdated but I think it's okay in terms of explaining rebellion, which often leads to riots. Riots aren't really justified however as innocent people get hurt.

As for reasons it could be anything that upsets a set of people. This, often mixed with opportunists, is what creates a riot.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
"Riots; what would drive people to do such a thing?!"

Crazy people.

In all honesty, It all depends on the government. From all the riots I've seen it was because the government did(or always is) doing something stupid.