• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
everyone employed by or receiving some kind of aid from the government is a mooch.

at least i think that's how it works in some people's minds, because mine isn't diseased enough to unironically take part in america's current "conservative" movement
mmm liberal bias is tasty

SugarFreeJazz

not present
Beats being wrong.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

Yeah, I'm sure the idea that an extremist right-wing majority has drowned out -- and, in some cases, hijacked -- a legitimate entity with views that are worth hearing about is ~liberal bias~.

This ain't ****in' Gawker Network "journalism" we're talking about here.

(Yes, to be fair, that's not the same as what he said. I don't care.)

John Madden

resident policy guy

i respect and (roughly 40% of the time) agree with burkean conservatives and certain strains of libertarians

but then i'm also not a "liberal" unless that term has become a blanket phrase for "to the left of david frum".

Yeah, I'm sure the idea that an extremist right-wing majority has drowned out -- and, in some cases, hijacked -- a legitimate entity with views that are worth hearing about is ~liberal bias~.

This ain't ****in' Gawker Network "journalism" we're talking about here.

(Yes, to be fair, that's not the same as what he said. I don't care.)

on the surface, it most certainly is the same as what i said - i specifically used "current" to get that point across.

Last edited:

The Admiral

Libertarianism has some respectable ideas, but I don't think wholesale deregulation, as a general rule, is a good idea.

John Madden

resident policy guy
Libertarianism has some respectable ideas, but I don't think wholesale deregulation, as a general rule, is a good idea.

yeah i should clarify that they're mostly left-libertarians (and that that 40% mostly consists of non-economic policy positions)

The Admiral

Extremism isn't really good either way, honestly. Unfortunately, centrism is kind of buried in America. (And when it does exist, it gets accused of being extremism, for some reason.)

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Well Centrism in America is less about "We come together to work things out" and more "If I'm not going to get what I want you're not going to get what you want"

John Madden

resident policy guy
it's actually more "let's complain that people aren't Very Serious when their solutions to certain policy issues aren't uniformly 'privatize it'" nowadays

The Admiral

Well Centrism in America is less about "We come together to work things out" and more "If I'm not going to get what I want you're not going to get what you want"

Yeah, that's a pretty good point, too. Kind of the reverse of how it should work.

BigLutz

Banned
Ummm what have I just walked in on? I dont want politics in this thread, I want people to talk about kittens and killing people and boobies.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Yeah, that's a pretty good point, too. Kind of the reverse of how it should work.

There's a specific term for it I learned in Social Psychology, but it's not exclusive to politics. It's kind of a dumb human behavior in general.

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
Okay kids enough politics, let's play some Pokemon XY battles because the "battle me" thread is pretty much useless (not to mention the rules they have are obsolete, why are they running off 5th Gen Smogon rules again?).

I'll go first. Message me and I will play XY against you.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Okay kids enough politics, let's play some Pokemon XY battles because the "battle me" thread is pretty much useless (not to mention the rules they have are obsolete, why are they running off 5th Gen Smogon rules again?).

I'll go first. Message me and I will play XY against you.

I would be willing to play XY with you

Status
Not open for further replies.