• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
^ That's insane. 100k for a Iphone? Geez lol. I see everybody on Facebook posting about that Flappy Bird game all the time. I believe someone said that the developers pulled the game. (Nvm I read the full article and it said the game was discontinued lol) I guess I could really careless since I never really play games on my android. I only play games on my phone during trips and what not. (Sometimes)

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
I'm going to assume at least a fair amount of people here have heard Miyizaki's statement, that he sort of despises the anime industry because it's made up primarily of otaku, and otaku as a group are looked down on in Japan and it gives the whole art style a bad name. A lot of people were up in arms about it on Tumblr, but to be fair he has a valid point. I don't watch much anime myself (read: like, none), though I did bite the bullet and get into snk a few months back. I thought the animation there at least was detailed and a lot of the establishing shots and combat sequences were very well animated. Plus, the characters all had pretty good arcs, if I did get a bit of darkness-induced apathy and arc fatigue as the season wound down. Still, on the whole if I had to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B- as far as entertainment value goes.

And to digress to my earlier point: Studio Ghibli announced they're going to make a serialized anime. If it can live up to the storytelling standards the movies the studio puts out, I'd be willing to give that one a try.

As for Pokemon, I don't get the "Genwunners." My personal favorite was gen 2. But from a non-bias view, I honestly think that Gen 5 was the best. It had the most complete package out of the rest.

The pokemon fandom suffers a lot from the Zelda cycle (though I think, given another gen or two, it may start being called the pokemon cycle instead...). People love the current generation, and the one a few generations back. We're far enough removed from RSE that we have this super rosy nostalgia glow around it, and we're clamoring for remakes. I nuzlocked Ruby and Emerald last year, and I can honestly say that while they were fun games, they're no more or less fun than any other game in the series. Kanto and Johto also have had enough time between instalments (and remakes, yikes) that we have a similar nostalgic glow. Everyone loves Kalos at the moment because it's the next big thing, but I predict that in a generation's time, the lack of a postgame is going to seriously hurt our opinion of it. Gen IV is currently in the "loathed" category, though you can bet that once we get RSE remakes, everyone is going to be saying how much they loved Sinnoh and want to see that one remade. And Unova is in a tricky place because people are pretty divided over it right now. Some people like you, and me, loved the whole fresh start approach and the droves of new pokemon, plus the region's aesthetics, a good storyline and music, etc. Others... I dunno, I guess right now people have latched onto the idea that introducing 150 new pokemon was a bad thing.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm going to assume at least a fair amount of people here have heard Miyizaki's statement, that he sort of despises the anime industry because it's made up primarily of otaku, and otaku as a group are looked down on in Japan and it gives the whole art style a bad name. A lot of people were up in arms about it on Tumblr, but to be fair he has a valid point.

Tumblr's community is, uh... the phrase I was first thinking was "fundamentally broken," but I know that's not what I want.

I don't watch much anime myself (read: like, none), though I did bite the bullet and get into snk a few months back. I thought the animation there at least was detailed and a lot of the establishing shots and combat sequences were very well animated. Plus, the characters all had pretty good arcs, if I did get a bit of darkness-induced apathy and arc fatigue as the season wound down. Still, on the whole if I had to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B- as far as entertainment value goes.

Someone I know described that show as being basically a glorified zombie apocalypse show. I never could get on with it, and I flinch whenever I see anyone on Tumblr talk about its social progressiveness (i.e. Mikasa and Hanji), because most of that was done better by earlier shows. But, you know, that's a fringe series that nobody would know about.

The pokemon fandom suffers a lot from the Zelda cycle (though I think, given another gen or two, it may start being called the pokemon cycle instead...). People love the current generation, and the one a few generations back. We're far enough removed from RSE that we have this super rosy nostalgia glow around it, and we're clamoring for remakes. I nuzlocked Ruby and Emerald last year, and I can honestly say that while they were fun games, they're no more or less fun than any other game in the series. Kanto and Johto also have had enough time between instalments (and remakes, yikes) that we have a similar nostalgic glow. Everyone loves Kalos at the moment because it's the next big thing, but I predict that in a generation's time, the lack of a postgame is going to seriously hurt our opinion of it. Gen IV is currently in the "loathed" category, though you can bet that once we get RSE remakes, everyone is going to be saying how much they loved Sinnoh and want to see that one remade. And Unova is in a tricky place because people are pretty divided over it right now. Some people like you, and me, loved the whole fresh start approach and the droves of new pokemon, plus the region's aesthetics, a good storyline and music, etc. Others... I dunno, I guess right now people have latched onto the idea that introducing 150 new pokemon was a bad thing.

You know, I've noticed one thing about most of the people I know who are wetting themselves over the possibility of an RSE remake were, when RS came out, about the same age that I was when RB came out.

Also, I have never played Platinum, but Diamond was probably the worst mainline Pokemon game I've ever played.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Tumblr's community is, uh... the phrase I was first thinking was "fundamentally broken," but I know that's not what I want.

No, that's a pretty apt description for a lot of the community. Granted, there's a lot of bloggers who are more than content to just reblog pretty pictures of things they like but the vocal minority of the social network is, well, the vocal one. And it's impossible not to come across them all the goddamn time.

Someone I know described that show as being basically a glorified zombie apocalypse show. I never could get on with it, and I flinch whenever I see anyone on Tumblr talk about its social progressiveness (i.e. Mikasa and Hanji), because most of that was done better by earlier shows. But, you know, that's a fringe series that nobody would know about.

Yeah, just about. But it has high production values and is an interesting ontological mystery. Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to talk anyone into watching it, but those were the things that caught my attention. I thought about reading the manga to, like, continue the story, but the art style is just... bad. Yeah, that's a tactful way to put it. It's very bad. I couldn't do it.

Also, I have never played Platinum, but Diamond was probably the worst mainline Pokemon game I've ever played.

I dunno, I liked it. I thought the pokemon had good designs, the region was large and varied, and Cyrus was an interesting villain (not as compelling as N or Ghetsis, on par with Maxie and Archie, and above the rest. Lysandre was a weaksauce knockoff of Cyrus IMO). Oh, and the musical score was really nice. I will say though, that the slow battle pacing was god awful and made nuzlocking a drag.

Grey Wind

As for Pokemon, I don't get the "Genwunners." My personal favorite was gen 2. But from a non-bias view, I honestly think that Gen 5 was the best. It had the most complete package out of the rest.
Yeah. Looking back at the Pokemon, most of the designs are pretty bland and the characters aren't anything interesting (though I suppose you could make that case for a lot of gens). I'm biased because Sapphire was my first game, but Gen 3 will always be my favourite. I'd probably follow it with Gen 6 because I haven't had as much fun playing through the main game in a long time.

I'm almost expecting to see games with a good highscore selling for more.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Diamond had a really slow battle battle system. The main character designs weren't too interesting either. The Pokemon themselves were really just evos of mons from earlier gens. also dat surfing speed

it was pretty bad

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I'm going to assume at least a fair amount of people here have heard Miyizaki's statement, that he sort of despises the anime industry because it's made up primarily of otaku, and otaku as a group are looked down on in Japan and it gives the whole art style a bad name. A lot of people were up in arms about it on Tumblr, but to be fair he has a valid point. I don't watch much anime myself (read: like, none), though I did bite the bullet and get into snk a few months back. I thought the animation there at least was detailed and a lot of the establishing shots and combat sequences were very well animated. Plus, the characters all had pretty good arcs, if I did get a bit of darkness-induced apathy and arc fatigue as the season wound down. Still, on the whole if I had to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B- as far as entertainment value goes.

And to digress to my earlier point: Studio Ghibli announced they're going to make a serialized anime. If it can live up to the storytelling standards the movies the studio puts out, I'd be willing to give that one a try.

I haven't seen much of studio Ghibli, but what I have, I have really love, namely Grave, and Totoro. And while I agree that otaku is kind of taking over.... I kind of like like otaku so.... U_U"

Zazie

So 1991
The only thing I liked about Diamond was the AI and some bits of the single player quest. Cynthia was brutal and I really liked some of the trainer team ups.

I'm a bit tempted to trade my Diamond in for Platinum, since Platinum fixes nearly all of my complaints and I kind of want to play through Sinnoh again.

I am getting bit frustrated with the series at this point because it feels like having a decent single player game is taking backseat to a whole bunch of special features I will never use. It wouldn't be a problem on it's own except they seem to be taking one step forward one step back with each new game in regards to single player.

Of course in a recent game informer issues. (brother's subscription) they mentioned that the reason for the ridiculous XP in gen 6 is to encourage you to swap out pokemon in your team more, so it looks like there's still some thought put into a single player game. (I haven't played gen 6 so I don't know where it fits in.) And that's actually a really cool feature in my book, lets me experience more of the variety of pokemon the game has to offer with less grinding in the way.

Last edited:

The Admiral

I dunno, I liked it. I thought the pokemon had good designs, the region was large and varied, and Cyrus was an interesting villain (not as compelling as N or Ghetsis, on par with Maxie and Archie, and above the rest. Lysandre was a weaksauce knockoff of Cyrus IMO). Oh, and the musical score was really nice. I will say though, that the slow battle pacing was god awful and made nuzlocking a drag.

My big problem with Diamond was as a game, not necessarily the characters (decent enough) or the Pokemon designs (there are some pretty legit ones, to be honest, and any issues with apparent repetition have been happening since second gen). The pacing in general was about as awful as RPGs get. Many areas were just flat-out too long, and not even that challenging. Also, from what I remember, the Elite Four was way too big of a level jump and extremely difficult as a result.

Also, Lysandre is freakin' terrible.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The EXP ALL makes the game even more easy. But you're handicapping yourself if you turn it off. I wish Gamefreak would include difficulties already. Yeah, the game is aimed at kids but a ton of adults still play as well. I'd like a little challenge

Firebrand

Indomitable
The EXP ALL makes the game even more easy. But you're handicapping yourself if you turn it off. I wish Gamefreak would include difficulties already. Yeah, the game is aimed at kids but a ton of adults still play as well. I'd like a little challenge

I turned that off soon after I got it because it made things just way too easy. But then there was a big level jump around Victory Road (or maybe I was just a little underleveled?). So I turned it on for Victory Road and was about on par with the e4 when I got there.

The Admiral

They kinnda did in BW2, but it wasn't done very well imo.

"Hey, on one of these games, you get easy mode and normal mode, and on the other one, you get normal mode and hard mode! If you have a friend with the other version, you can gain access to the other difficulty mode!"

I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but I hope they lost their job.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!

Wow, am I the only one who loves Sinnoh? And as for Unova, I don't despise it but I didn't love it. I tend to like the games with less introduced Pokemon (Johto, Sinnoh, the 2 hours I played of Kalos) because they're kinda adding on to what we have instead of trying to be their own thing.

DThe Pokemon themselves were really just evos of mons from earlier gens

Yeah, I loved that about Sinnoh. It was like an upgrade... hmm maybe it's really just me.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Multiple difficulties needs to come back badly, the AI is way too easy now to the point where you can just breeze through the games with little challenge. And it needs to be available from the start.

I'm also sick of the region design being incredibly simplistic and railroading you down one path the entire game, that's really boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.