• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Why would you call full stops "periods"? Silly people.

[IMG139]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TTPQCPA6I/AAAAAAAACwA/ZHZH-Bi8OmI/s1600/ALOT2.png[/IMG139]

I love the fact that you used that image just FYI.

ETA: I also love you Nick for pointing out that "I raped this guy in a game!" and sh*t like that is pretty distasteful.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Or maybe using the word nazi like that is sort of distasteful? It's comparable to when people go "Oh man I just RAPED you". It's just not really funny or clever, and it's understandable why people don't like the use of those words to be so common and widespread.

Grammar nazi is a pretty commonplace term

I'm sorry if I offended your heritage

Peter Quill

star-lord
ETA: I also love you Nick for pointing out that "I raped this guy in a game!" and sh*t like that is pretty distasteful.

It's literally one of the reasons why I don't play video games over Xbox live or anything. That and how people go "lol ****** I pwned you" and the gamer population I've encountered is just generally irritating in that sense.

Grammar nazi is a pretty commonplace term

I'm sorry if I offended your heritage

Oh I know it's commonplace. That doesn't really change anything though, people can still view it as distasteful. I mean, I personally think it is even though I don't go up in arms about it. (Also I'm French Canadian don't worry.)

Grey Wind

It's literally one of the reasons why I don't play video games over Xbox live or anything. That and how people go "lol ****** I pwned you" and the gamer population I've encountered is just generally irritating in that sense.
The worst are the ones who put on headphones but just talk to people sitting beside them irl. So annoying to hear them harping on about some random crap that has nothing to do with the game. I tend to just plug in the headphones and throw them under a cushion or something.

e: Togepi are surprisingly strong.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Or maybe using the word nazi like that is sort of distasteful? It's comparable to when people go "Oh man I just RAPED you". It's just not really funny or clever, and it's understandable why people don't like the use of those words to be so common and widespread.

I don't see a problem if people decide to use "nazi" or "raped" in different contexts. Then again I don't care about people's feelings on the web so it's likely that I just ignored them.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I don't see a problem if people decide to use "nazi" or "raped" in different contexts. Then again I don't care about people's feelings on the web so it's likely that I just ignored them.

I'm generally jaded for the entire thing, but that's just what being on the internet did to me. However, I can understand why people would get offended by these. Nazi is one I let slide a lot, but I can't stand the word rape being used in a different context.

There's nothing wrong with saying you "raped" someone is a video game.

People seriously get mad over that, I mean it's a little tacky but harmless for the most part.

No, there's lots of things wrong with it. It trivializes rape in today's society, and in turn we laugh at people getting "raped', when it's actually a really serious subject which I think should be treated respectfully and properly.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
There's nothing wrong with saying you "raped" someone is a video game.

People seriously get mad over that, I mean it's a little tacky but harmless for the most part.
Because when people get raped it's not taken seriously because of society's view that it's a joke? Using rape colloquially like this makes it bad for the victim because it makes it laughable. "LOL YOU GOT RAPED" is basically going to kill any seriousness that actually occurs with a real rape.
It's like the boy that cried wolf, but, in this case, they're boys and they're all 13 year olds, either mentally and/or physically.

If you can handle long strings of text and feminism, here are some two excellent reading sources[1][2]. I'd recommend the first one because it's seriously a great blog.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I've come to the conclusion that I alternately love and hate this thread. Keep classy, the half of you who are responsible for the hate portion.

(Just FYI, the note about the Grammar Nazi thing was initially a joke.)

Vernikova

Champion
^ You could probably just use the ignore list for the hate portion. Simple solutions.

I'm generally jaded for the entire thing, but that's just what being on the internet did to me. However, I can understand why people would get offended by these. Nazi is one I let slide a lot, but I can't stand the word rape being used in a different context.

The internet probably jaded me to it as well. It certainly has become more commonplace around me offline since many people of both genders (mostly non-gamers) have used both in different contexts. It's kind of like using "I'm going to kill you" just because you're mad at someone. Everyone I know is completely jaded to that phrase in particular.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
The internet probably jaded me to it as well. It certainly has become more commonplace around me offline since many people of both genders (mostly non-gamers) have used both in different contexts. It's kind of like using "I'm going to kill you" just because you're mad at someone. Everyone I know is completely jaded to that phrase in particular.

The difference is that our society doesn't take rape even half as seriously as murder, and it shows in the court system.

@Cenobitic-if it bothers you so much, just ignore list them (ignore list me if I'm part of it.) No one is obligating you to listen to people you think suck.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
@Cenobitic-if it bothers you so much, just ignore list them (ignore list me if I'm part of it.) No one is obligating you to listen to people you think suck.

How will I know that they're shitty people if I don't see what they write? Besides, it won't do anything for me; there are still links to click what they read, and I will do that.

Then again, I shouldn't give attention to certain people whom I won't name because it means that they'll get an ego. An even bigger ego.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I've come to the conclusion that I alternately love and hate this thread. Keep classy, the half of you who are responsible for the hate portion.

(Just FYI, the note about the Grammar Nazi thing was initially a joke.)

Do you hate me

I was always under the impression that I'm on the fence between love and hate

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Yeah, who are those humorless oversensitive b*tches complaining about rape jokes? We all know rape is not a big deal.

The act of rape, is a big deal. Two 13 year olds saying that they're going to rape the other team on Call of Duty isn't.

No, there's lots of things wrong with it. It trivializes rape in today's society, and in turn we laugh at people getting "raped', when it's actually a really serious subject which I think should be treated respectfully and properly.
I agree that rape should be treated respectfully and properly but I don't think a few "jokes" trivializes anything. I perfectly understand what someone means when they say they are going to "rape" me in a video game, that doesn't mean I turn on then news, see a rape case and laugh. Words can be a trigger for past experiences such as rape, but so can any other word in the English language.

Suppose my great grandparents were slaves, and someone said they were going to "own" me in a video game. Should I go running and get all upset? I'm not saying these things are right, but if we're going to try to banned the use the rape in joke context, then there are tons of other words that should be included along with that.

Because when people get raped it's not taken seriously because of society's view that it's a joke? Using rape colloquially like this makes it bad for the victim because it makes it laughable. "LOL YOU GOT RAPED" is basically going to kill any seriousness that actually occurs with a real rape.
I'm sure raped is still taken seriously today. Regardless of the what jokes people make. It just happens so often and there's usually nothing you can do about that make people go, "again..?"

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
I'm sure raped is still taken seriously today. Regardless of the what jokes people make. It just happens so often and there's usually nothing you can do about that make people go, "again..?"
[ citation needed. ]

Huh. It sure is funny.
> links to two articles that talk about how rape isn't taken seriously in today's society because of disparaging jokes that involve the victim deserving it
> reply with, "I'm sure it's still taken seriously today" followed by unsympathetic response about those who are raped.
Yeah. Another person was raped tonight. Ho hum, pass the butter.

Actually, wait, no. Just by typing rape and doubt, you can see what scrutiny their claims go under and how they're always, always, seem to be some evil mastermind in for the money[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]. Also, keep in mind for every rape that is reported, there are three that aren't.

And, because I'm such a generous person, here's two articles about why it's bad to use rape when describing a curb stomp battle in a video game. Something specifically arguing about what you're doing[1][2]. Your desensitization towards the subject just proves how you don't have a right to speak about this. It'd be like letting the Imperial Wizard talk about how racism doesn't exist.

Profesco

gone gently
I do cast my lot with the folks saying rape shouldn't be used as a trashtalk expression or euphemism for videogame defeat, etc., but, like Jb#s is saying, not because I believe it challenges/diminishes the seriousness of rape in serious conversations. If our society doesn't provide the legal and social gravity rape commands, is it because Derek and Jimmy are saying they're gonna "rape" each other in Call of Duty, or are both of these things the results of something bigger and more ingrained? That immature or disrespectful people use the word in a nonliteral/hyperbolic fashion is not a problem (well, not the problem, anyway - it is still a fairly ugly way to speak and act) but a symptom.

The bigger responsibility is, I think, to change the way people think rather than the way they talk. After all, curse words are actually taboo expressions compared to the word rape and they're practically ineradicable, even for otherwise intelligent and sensitive speakers. However, it works the other way around, too: it's possible to change the way people think by first changing the way they talk. That's why I argue alongside Moogles et al.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
I do cast my lot with the folks saying rape shouldn't be used as a trashtalk expression or euphemism for videogame defeat, etc., but, like Jb#s is saying, not because I believe it challenges/diminishes the seriousness of rape in serious conversations. If our society doesn't provide the legal and social gravity rape commands, is it because Derek and Jimmy are saying they're gonna "rape" each other in Call of Duty, or are both of these things the results of something bigger and more ingrained? That immature or disrespectful people use the word in a nonliteral/hyperbolic fashion is not a problem (well, not the problem, anyway - it is still a fairly ugly way to speak and act) but a symptom.

The bigger responsibility is, I think, to change the way people think rather than the way they talk. After all, curse words are actually taboo expressions compared to the word rape and they're practically ineradicable, even for otherwise intelligent and sensitive speakers. However, it works the other way around, too: it's possible to change the way people think by first changing the way they talk. That's why I argue alongside Moogles et al.
In regards to the underlined, I don't think it's the sole reason, but I think it contributes and perpetuates as to how society functions and often times doesn't deal with rape with the weight it deserves. So, whilst you are right, I just see these things as something that perpetuates and there being a sign that there's a bigger problem with society as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.