• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spookz

Lumos
I'm sure it wasn't as big of a hassle up until very recently (as far as humanity's timeline is concerned), it's traditional to take the last name of your spouse, so people still like to do it.

I'm probably not going to change mine, but I also can't even marry so it's not a huge priority anyway.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
confession #142 take your dog to the vet god damn i'm sorry his illness is a minor inconvenience for you but make sure the dog is ok

Phoopes

There it is.
Got married. So really just changing my last name. But still, I have to pay for a new driver's license when I already got one back in January because it expired, I need a new card for SS, I need to notify all my banks, I need new credit/debit cards, new car registration, new title. It's crazy, but worth it. But I'm still going to whine because I am lazy and this is :effort:

Holy crap, I always forget that other people on the Internet have lives too, I'm pretty bad with doing that. But anyways, congratulations!

Spookz said:
I'm probably not going to change mine, but I also can't even marry so it's not a huge priority anyway.

Blah blah blah that isn't right blah blah blah debate forum.

Peter Quill

star-lord
staying up all night doing nothing but drinking and yelling
a few people living in dorms have told me this has been happening all week
I like to live by myself of with people I know really well. Living at home will turn out well for me.

oh no, not drinking and partying :rolleyes:

edit: I think that what Kreis is saying has some merit. Also to live with someone you dislike has some merit too because then you know how to cope with that/other people/aren't sheltered

If you can afford it, you really should live on campus and try living a little. I'm not saying get wasted, but put yourself out there and make friends. Otherwise you'll turn out to be that weird kid that no one really wants to talk to.

I have to admit thats some good piece of advice you gave there. :)

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
ehh. living with someone you dislike can be a great learning experience for sure as long as it's not too terrible. like for example my soph year roommate who i didnt like i would say it was good bc i learned to deal with her **** without going insane. someone like my jr year roommate tho.. shes just insane and youre better off without that kind of experience.

but yea. living on campus is good. there will pretty much never be another time in your life when you will be so close with so many other people and be able to make friends as easily. hell i regret not living in the dorms even tho i did live on campus, just in apartments instead.

i can't wait to move into my dorm tbh. they're going to walk in, immediately see messiah carey's lovely ethereal beauty posing right at them and immediately about face to make sure they're not living with this nut. but i plan on being friendly, nice and accommodating. my only fear so far is that i have a lot of local friends and i don't necessarily want to overwhelm them with an already pretty bustling social life. i don't want to be that fool keeps people up.

ehh. living with someone you dislike can be a great learning experience for sure as long as it's not too terrible. like for example my soph year roommate who i didnt like i would say it was good bc i learned to deal with her **** without going insane. someone like my jr year roommate tho.. shes just insane and youre better off without that kind of experience.

but yea. living on campus is good. there will pretty much never be another time in your life when you will be so close with so many other people and be able to make friends as easily. hell i regret not living in the dorms even tho i did live on campus, just in apartments instead.
girl, omg you can't just drop vague deets like this and leave me hanging. i live for the applause roommate horror stories. totally in your right if you don't wanna share some, but the way you describe your junior roommate just. omg. just how insane was she? i had a dorm mate briefly that was ... idk. a vampire tbh. he was up at the exact opposite hours i was up, rarely talked, and spend most of his time brooding with people, silently typing away at his computer with a blank look on his face or reading robert frost poems. it always unsettled me and, despite my initial attempts to converse with him, he didn't actually reply to anything beyond a sentence or expression until two weeks later where he asked to borrow my shampoo because he ran out.

and i never saw him or that shampoo again cause he switched in with one of his bloodnectardrinking friends, i guess. more power to him but god damn it do i miss my waterfall collections.

jb said:
i'm pretty sure the negatives outweigh what little merit there is to living with someone you dislike

there's a lot of merit even if it does come with a lot of negatives. sometimes you learn the most about yourself and how to deal with situations that will come up (that you dislike) by interacting with people that annoy the hell out of you.

Peter Quill

star-lord
i'm pretty sure the negatives outweigh what little merit there is to living with someone you dislike

Social and coping skills?

nah. Believe me I'd love to live by myself but I'm using uni as a tool to branch myself out there as well so **** it lol

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
If you can afford it, you really should live on campus and try living a little. I'm not saying get wasted, but put yourself out there and make friends. Otherwise you'll turn out to be that weird kid that no one really wants to talk to.

I can't really afford it. Well I could but my parents refuse to pay for on campus living.
I will go to parties and ****, I'll get involved in the university I just won't have to live with living in the dorms. I don't wanna be that weirdo who seals himself off from everyone lol

Zazie

So 1991
Honestly It's probably a bit better to commute to school if possible. It is really fun to live on campus, but it can double your tuition. Having a ****-ton more debt isn't exactly great, especially with all the issues of education costs these days.

I know on my campus there isn't even much of a social reason to live on campus. The place is dead on the weekends and a ton of people commute anyway.They are trying to be a more residential campus , but it doesn't help that it has booted out a lot of people who they promised housing. You can probably have the same amount of a social life without needing to pay the insane costs for housing.

So it also depends on the kind of school you go to. The divide between residential students and commuter studentscan effect how much of a social hit you take by living off campus, if any.

Profesco

gone gently
Lots of advice by extroverts for extroverts. There's a whole 'nother way of relating to the world.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Lots of advice by extroverts for extroverts. There's a whole 'nother way of relating to the world.

I've gotta be the most introverted person ever if you're talking bout me.

I'm just trying to use it as an opportunity to step out of my comfort zone.

DevilFruit

Good Kitty
I meant more of a general you.

Lol okay.

Got married. So really just changing my last name. But still, I have to pay for a new driver's license when I already got one back in January because it expired, I need a new card for SS, I need to notify all my banks, I need new credit/debit cards, new car registration, new title. It's crazy, but worth it. But I'm still going to whine because I am lazy and this is :effort:

My mom kept her name since she got promoted to another high position in her job right as she got married. She's been married for 18 years now, and she still keeps her maiden name.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Social and coping skills?

nah. Believe me I'd love to live by myself but I'm using uni as a tool to branch myself out there as well so **** it lol

oh yeah it's cool and all. it even sounds good in theory. but in practice i don't think i'd could put up with terrible behavior just to gain some coping skills. like, i can deal with quite a bit, but if i got a room with someone that snores massively loud or talks to themselves out loud daily, i'd be a little on edge

Pansy :]

anustart
I lied the other day, this puppy is the best thing to ever happen to me he's so cute and little and he sleeps on my feet when I sit on the couch.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
oh yeah it's cool and all. it even sounds good in theory. but in practice i don't think i'd could put up with terrible behavior just to gain some coping skills. like, i can deal with quite a bit, but if i got a room with someone that snores massively loud or talks to themselves out loud daily, i'd be a little on edge

I think it also kind of depends on how the housing department handles roommate selection too. If it's totally random, it's basically luck of the draw. The college I went to had everyone fill out a survey about general behaviors and then matched people up based on that. My roommate and I got along just fine. She talked in her sleep sometimes and occasionally ate some of my food without asking, but we never had any major issues. I'm sure most place would allow you to request a change if you absolutely cannot tolerate your roommate.

Zazie

So 1991
I've gotta be the most introverted person ever if you're talking bout me.

I'm just trying to use it as an opportunity to step out of my comfort zone.

Living in dorms certainly helped me out a lot. I used to be very social phobic. I still am, but getting used to spending a lot of time around a good variety of people has helped lessen it a lot. Knowing how fun it is having people around has really helped me take bigger risks when socializing with others.

I am sure some people might still prefer to keep to themselves even if they are comfortable around people too. Of course that is pretty easy to do even when living in a dorm room,.

Status
Not open for further replies.