• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

rip general chat thread 2011-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
that definitely doesn't help but i just hate the animation style. that is why all anime is inherently bad to me

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
When you try and convince someone to watch something by going "Yeah, most of it is bad, but trust me this one is really good!", odds are the medium itself ain't so great.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
that definitely doesn't help but i just hate the animation style. that is why all anime is inherently bad to me

Me too! Honestly, I don't like the art style at all and that's one of my biggest hangups. Also, the fans. I could prooooobably tolerate the art style in favor of the story if people didn't try to shove it down my throat constantly.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Me too! Honestly, I don't like the art style at all and that's one of my biggest hangups.

but the story is so good!!!!!!! just watch the first 12 episodes of soul eater i promise you'll like it. if you don't like it just watch the first season of death note i promise its the best

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
but the story is so good!!!!!!! just watch the first 12 episodes of soul eater i promise you'll like it. if you don't like it just watch the first season of death note i promise its the best

My favorite (read also: can't freaking stand) is when I'm at the book store looking for Hellboy comics and all I can hear is "OMG Have you read this? It's soooooo kawaiii!~ Hahaha! Where do they keep the pocky, friend-san?! HAHA" and I want to shoot myself in the face.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
My favorite (read also: can't freaking stand) is when I'm at the book store looking for Hellboy comics and all I can hear is "OMG Have you read this? It's soooooo kawaiii!~ Hahaha! Where do they keep the pocky, friend-san?! HAHA" and I want to shoot myself in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPJEPEfdTk

sorry to put you through this but i insist you watch

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
When you try and convince someone to watch something by going "Yeah, most of it is bad, but trust me this one is really good!", odds are the medium itself ain't so great.

Art is only as good as the people who make it.

Which basically means we should feed about 90% of Japan's animation industry to the sharks.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Me too! Honestly, I don't like the art style at all and that's one of my biggest hangups. Also, the fans. I could prooooobably tolerate the art style in favor of the story if people didn't try to shove it down my throat constantly.

As much as I love anime, I have to agree with this. The fanbase is really.....out there. I personally would never have started watching anime because someone recommended it to me, I started mainly because I was bored as all crap and I stumbled actross the movie The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on youtube. I loved that movie, so I poked around youtube and found a few others that I liked. But I still don't see the appeal of subs.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure how many times I've recommended Utena on IRC

Too many times.

On the topic of anime......
I do like anime, the animation that is, but have only found a few that actually have stories that I find interesting. For anyone who is just starting out, I would recommend: Grave of the Fireflies (Movie), Lucky Star (dubbed), Cyborg 009 (subbed). So there's my faves from each categeory XD
I would have said dubbed for Cyborg 009 too, but only season 1 has all of the episodes dubbed available online.

Dubbed... No.

Anime fans are definitely terrible.

Which basically means we should feed about 90% of Japan's animation industry to the sharks.

i don't get that.

maybe i'm wrong for thinking you just made some type of super heavy art statement, instead of just seeing it as a segway for a joke about the mass genocide of korean animators (good one), but could you please explain 'art is only as good as the people who make it' to me?

i legitimately do not understand how that could be true.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I think the idea of an actual clique existing here is the saddest thing I've come across in this forum. That is so not fetch.

Those thing are just glorified tap water. Just get a filter and it'll save you money in the long run.

You're probably right, but I also like the feeling of the bottle in my teeth.

EDIT: I see there was about 4 pages that I didn't read. Since when did this place become chatty?

I only watch dubbed mainstream anime like Inuyasha and Yu-Gi-Oh. Sue me.

Also Sogeking's sig <3 Community

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991

I wouldn't say most of it is bad. More that most of it is a bit derivative and has limited appeal. It's probably more like kung-fu/b-horror movies or country I am guessing. There are quite a few exceptions, but sway too many people are fairly colored in their views (see post 36105) and can't pick them out. Even so, you aren't really missing much.

I would probably hate anime less if people spent less time trying to get me to like/watch it.

I like anime and find it irritating. I have to deal with these people on a weekly basis and it can get annoying. I mean sometimes I am guilty of the overexcited recommendation thing with some of my friends, but it's become way out of hand lately. Not just with anime but all sorts of "nerd stuff too." I like to pick out my entertainment for myself, not win the "who's the biggest nerd" contest.

Anyway, away from a****:

Goats are adorable. Best farm animal, except maybe alpacas.

Last edited:

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I'm very picky about what I read/watch regarding anime and manga. It has to catch my eye and the plot has to be good.

Although sometimes my choices aren't exactly normal.

*coughHellsingcough*

Jb

Tsun in the streets
yes do

I think animation in general is pretty consistent. The only "bad" animation tends to keep itself to long running shonen series. Only other thing is art style, which is preference I guess. It's pretty varied, at least compared to here. Though it still could be group together.

That being said, Soul Eater is ****. And so is just about any other "mainstream" anime that people try to get you to watch to get into it. It's really just best to start with a genre you might like and go from there. The people that say you should DBZ/Death Note/Code Geass and friends are the worst. Those really wont get you into anything.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
People still suggest DBZ as a starting point for anime?

Jesus Christ. That show wasn't even good when Toonami played that and nothing else. Then again, nostalgia is so powerful that it gets some people to think that the first generation of Pokemon is the best and everything after is absolute trash.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Yeah. I mean I like DBZ. But 5 of fighting and 15 of talking and powering up isn't something that's going to catch most people attentions. Yeah, it did a lot of the industry but lets leave it at that.

As for Pokemon, I don't get the "Genwunners." My personal favorite was gen 2. But from a non-bias view, I honestly think that Gen 5 was the best. It had the most complete package out of the rest.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I grew up on watching DBZ. In my opinion it's a pretty great show. I don't expect anyone to agree with me though since it seems mostly everyone in this discussion seems to dislike it (which is fine, everyone has their own opinions and tastes)

If I had to recommend anime to someone I wouldn't just point them to DBZ though. There's tons of anime out there. Honestly, when it comes to anime all I really watched was DBZ, Gundam Wing, Pokemon, and the original Yugioh anime. I don't keep up with todays Pokemon anime. I haven't watched the show since the Hoenn region honestly. Brock and Misty were two of my favorite characters in the show it sucked to see them go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.