• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rising Fire! More Than One Rival!! (1079)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1079.jpg

Rising Fire! More Than One Rival!!

The semi finals match between Gladion and Kiawe rages on with Turtonator being against Silvally. With both trainers being so strong, who will win the battle? Afterwards, the semi final match between Ash & Guzma is set to begin, Ash is eager to win but Guzma is a strong trainer and is said to be undefeated. Will Ash be able to get through and defeat Guzma?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Scizor's U-Turn and Golisopod's fear triggering Emergency Exit were highlights of the episode for me.

The battle was outstanding and animated so well. I can't wait next week's episode and how Guzma will all handle the loss. Also, can someone please translate Plumeria and the trophy scene?

Also, my argument from last discussion continues. Turtonator used five moves without forgetting one to replace for Focus Blast:
  • Dragon Tail (135, 136), Flamethrower (135, 136), Shell Smash (131, 136), Shell Trap (135), Focus Blast (135).

Last edited:

TheScentedApple

Great battles today, I wonder though, if Gladion can change types at will, does that mean he can change it multiple times?

Scizor: U-Turn.
Golisopod: In to your face.

The battle was outstanding and animated so well. I can't wait next week's episode and how Guzma will all handle the loss. Also, can someone please translate Plumeria and the trophy scene?
From what I got from it was that he (like in the games) has lots and lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd place trophies but no first place, I'm not sure how this lines up with the fact he's undefeated, possibly indicating the destroyed trophies are a destruction of evidence or something

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Dang, I expected Golisopod's Emergency Exit to activate after he took a Fire Blast, but I didn't expect him to practically run off and let Scizor take the hit.

That said, great battle. And Guzma's becoming quite an interesting character for the anime. Plumeria's concern over his whole ordeal seems very touching, too.

With the preview for next week's episode though, I'm worried about how Pikachu will manage given that he's struggled against Golisopod before. Hopefully, we don't get a deus ex machina out of nowhere like the Pikashunium-Z or something like that...

nuzamaki90

With these last two episodes you can really notice how much padding they are doing to make these battles last multiple episodes. Lots of slow panning shots,, Team Rocket and Bewear’s scenes, showing every member of the crowd’s reaction, even Acerola and Hau who don’t even have speaking roles. Really don’t know why they are trying to stretch this out for so long, because the way the first battle ended, that could’ve easily been in last week’s episode.

The episode was okay though. I was hoping Ash and Guzma would have some harmless banter but we’ll have to settle for more staredowns. Kiawe and Gladion’s moments were great. That was a manly battle even though I don’t know how to feel about Gladion switching types mid battle. The rules really should’ve been laid out before this League started because it seems like everyone is just doing whatever they want lol

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Another Ok episode, Guzma again saved it. Gladion vs Kiawe was kinda meh this episode.
We will see if Pika/Torra vs Golisopod was good enough so, this league can be on par with Kanto and see if Gladion vs Ash is enough to surpass it.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Can someone translate Gladion’s and Kiawe’s conversation after Kiawe lost? Also gotta love Ash’s adoptive mom cheering for him xD
Gladio: Kaki. That was a good battle.
Kaki: Yeah! Gladio! Until now, I've always thought Satoshi was my rival. But... As of now, you're my rival, too! I won't lose next time!
Gladio: I look forward to it.
So I guess that's the "more than one rival" the title was referring to.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Another great episode!!

I enjoyed the battles, flashbacks, and focus on both Plumeria and Kukui. Kiawe is such a good sport, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind Gladion being his brother in law considering that Hoshi May have a crush on him.:D

Still no Lycanroc? He’s probably being saved for the Gladion final battle. I can’t believe Scizor got a 1 hit KO. That really infuriated Guzma! I could see his anger backfiring on him. He’s going to give Ash a rough time. I know Torracat isn’t going to last long after this episode. Hopefully he uses Pikachu again once the finals come. I really want him to end with his partner if he’s winning this. GO ASH!!!

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Meh. So far, Guzma always relied on tactics to defeat his opponents, as seen in his battles against Ilima and Lana. But now he is just commanding attack after attack without any strategy behind it, and yelling occasionally st his Pokemon.

I hope part 2 will be better.

Another great episode!!

I enjoyed the battles, flashbacks, and focus on both Plumeria and Kukui. Kiawe is such a good sport, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind Gladion being his brother in law considering that Hoshi May have a crush on him.:D

Still no Lycanroc? He’s probably being saved for the Gladion final battle. I can’t believe Scizor got a 1 hit KO. That really infuriated Guzma! I could see his anger backfiring on him. He’s going to give Ash a rough time. I know Torracat isn’t going to last long after this episode. Hopefully he uses Pikachu again once the finals come. I really want him to end with his partner if he’s winning this. GO ASH!!!
Gladion used Lycanroc in the previous episode, right?

Xuxuba

With these last two episodes you can really notice how much padding they are doing to make these battles last multiple episodes. Lots of slow panning shots,, Team Rocket and Bewear’s scenes, showing every member of the crowd’s reaction, even Acerola and Hau who don’t even have speaking roles. Really don’t know why they are trying to stretch this out for so long, because the way the first battle ended, that could’ve easily been in last week’s episode

The episode was okay though. I was hoping Ash and Guzma would have some harmless banter but we’ll have to settle for more staredowns. Kiawe and Gladion’s moments were great. That was a manly battle even though I don’t know how to feel about Gladion switching types mid battle. The rules really should’ve been laid out before this League started because it seems like everyone is just doing whatever they want lol
I noticed that too. They also used Ash vs Hau flashbacks from a few episodes ago even though the battle was between Kiawe and Gladion lol

I get that they were talking about Ash, but they could've just mentioned him or at least used flashbacks from Ash vs Gladion and Ash vs Kiawe battles since those are more relevant and old enough to justify a flashback.

If it weren't for them dragging the episode a bit, i would rate Ash vs. Guzma higher. It was certainly not on the same level as other semi final battles like Ash vs. Sawyer, but it was better than most battles on this League so far.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Kiawe vs Gladion was sadly just a quick finish up, with Silvally tanking both Inferno Overdrive and Dragon Tail like they were nothing. I'm guessing they want to sell the thing as a threat against Ash, though leaves me wondering which Pokemon is gonna be the centrepiece for Ash vs Gladion. Lycanroc took the fall against Kiawe, though still was a persistent little monster. Plus Dusk Lycanroc now needs his big rival battle.

Wait Turtonator forgot Shell Trap for Focus Blast??? Its signature move? Surely Flamethrower was more dispensable. I'm guessing it was to end it with a single sweep finish but that feels like a detrimental blow to Turtonator's move set.

Guzma vs Ash was the highlight despite taking up less than half the episode. Love how each damn battle is now getting more and more intense, with Torracat and Golisopod straight up mauling each other at one point. If this escalates, the last half of the league could really bring things back up to code.

I'm liking how they're starting to develop on Guzma's cracks in armour now. He genuinely is an evil counterpart for Ash, a guy that never came in first but didn't have the capacity to take it in stride like Ash. Emergency Exit seems to be treated as a cowardly trait of Golisopod, where it starts to quickly panic when it doesn't think it's in control anymore (we saw this lightly with Lana, it dominated for the most part but looked genuinely terrified when it was about to take a Z Move). It screwing up Guzma's bait and switch by bringing back in Scizor was a cool twist, even Ash and Torracat have 'Wait, was that supposed to happen?' reaction. Now its a case of whether Golisopod fears Ash or its mad-as-hell trainer more.

I'm hoping they don't use this as a cop-out of some sort to finish the battle. I like a villain being defeated through their flaws, especially one with a hidden pitiful streak, but I hope he still forces one hell of a fight from Ash.

Last edited: