• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rising Fire! More Than One Rival!! (1079)

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Gladion used Lycanroc in the previous episode, right?

Pretty sure he meant Ash's Lycanroc and not Gladion's. Ash hasn't used his lycanroc in the league yet!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm curious as to when Dragon Tail got the ability to harmlessly teleport pokémon around, because Silvally jumped at Turtonator, who waved Dragon Tail around, and suddenly Silvally is magically on the other side of the field with neither pokémon having touched one another
Sometimes I wonder if you ever have any kind of imagination or if anything that isn't explicitly explained in that scene itself and shown very explicitly simply doesn't happen for you. They clashed and Silvally was knocked back, Silvally was in the air so it didn't have the footing to resist the recoil from the clash. Like, the answer is so obvious, why are you even asking it?
Also, why did Silvally leap 300 feet into the air to use Crush Claw?
Has been explained a million times in the anime already. Contact attacks do more damage when the user approaches the target at high speed to increase momentum of the impact, and using the gravity from a high fall helps in building speed. Does it really have to be explained over and over again every time they use this concept?

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I saw a vid on facebook that took the scene where Scizor was OHKO'd and put the Titanic music over it, and it was fitting too. Certainly makes you feel bad for Scizor

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
He'd just react shocked for 5 seconds, grin, and shake hands with Ash. Then they promise to fight again, which would NEVER happen again.

Which...is the same thing every other person who beat him did...
We probably going to see Guzma snapped, claiming he could defeat Ash if his Pokemons didn't disobey him, then Ash calms him down, says that it was fun to face a strong trainer despite his attitude, and for the 1st time we see Guzma cooling himself down and having a normal face.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
We probably going to see him snapped, claiming he could defeat Ash if his Pokemons didn't disobey him, then Ash calms him down, says that it was fun to face a strong trainer despite his attitude, and for the 1st time we see Guzma cooling himself down and having a normal face.
I'm pretty sure I was referring to Gladion, not whinny Guzma.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Sometimes I wonder if you ever have any kind of imagination or if anything that isn't explicitly explained in that scene itself and shown very explicitly simply doesn't happen for you. They clashed and Silvally was knocked back, Silvally was in the air so it didn't have the footing to resist the recoil from the clash. Like, the answer is so obvious, why are you even asking it?

Has been explained a million times in the anime already. Contact attacks do more damage when the user approaches the target at high speed to increase momentum of the impact, and using the gravity from a high fall helps in building speed. Does it really have to be explained over and over again every time they use this concept?
I will mock bad animation with the full ferocity it deserves :p

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Fairly episode. (It's just the animation that never gets or stays at that quality that we've all wanted and expected since the beginning of the series. Though, the preview for next episode does show some notable improvement.)

Starting off with the scene of Satoshi that Kaki and Gladio both thought of during their match against each other... At first I thought it was weird, but it's actually fine because it signifies Satoshi's present competence and what they'd have to go up against if either of them make it further in the league, especially the fact that a fully evolved Pokemon in a specie line was defeated by its weakest form, which this series has been making a prominent deal of since the beginning till that match with Satoshi vs Hau. Also love how that scene (between Kaki and Gladio) exist itself, especially between Kaki and Gladio of all people. Some of the past series didn't have this with other competitors like Tierno vs Shota, Paul vs Barry, etc. It sucks that Satoshi is not going to fight Kaki, but at the sametime it's literally impossible in writing to have interesting fights between certain people and the MC fighting all their rivals. As long as Satoshi faces one of them, moreso Gladio because the Luragan rivalry concept and him being more competent than Kaki, it's all good and fair.

Last part of the fight between Kaki and Gladio is nothing praiseworthy in terms of animation. Animation here didn't even so much as match that brief quality instance of Marowak vs Luragan. That said, the battle itself was handled pretty well. Kaki was on point for a while with using flamethrower to counter air slash, dragon tail to counter crush claw, shell smash/trap (I get them confused) to increase Turtonators's speed so that it could avoid the momentum-driven crush claw from the air, and then taking advantage of the backfired momentum that resulted in Silvally getting its front leg stuck underground to launch its dynamic full flame z move, which was very dramatic (the camera focus on multiple character and the explosion) and probably its most powerful use (the lingering explosion effect and shell trap/smash used just prior). Unfortunately, Gladio was prepared with a fire disk for Silvally so it could lessen the damage by becoming a fire type. But this is where I have some complaints, such as Silvally showing no signs of pain to any extent: no staggering, no eye flinching, etc, nothing. (Have this same complaint for the aftermath of Satoshi-Gekkouga vs Mega Charizard X, with Alan's Charizard mirroring the same type of situation.) Even when becoming a fire type and having full health, that Dynamic Full Flame was a Z move and one powered up beforehand.. It could have at least showed some sign of pain and then shrugged it off a few secs later, which has been shown multiple times before in other battles where one Pokemon is clearly superior to the other. In the end, Gladio winning was entirely expected without a doubt. Even with his sizable gap in skill over Kaki, Kaki still went out strong. He was still portrayed incredibly well in all his league fights, especially the royale and Gladio match.

I also see that continuity in the referees starting to run up to the knocked out Pokemon before making their final call (lol). Speaking of referees, obviously the one chosen was fitting, and her crying was again justified here, especially after Kaki's actions towards Gladio after the match.

Guzma. Those silver and 2nd place trophies were interesting, but it's not continuing the undefeated plot thread that was previously started and the animation shown some bronze awards too, so... i'm inclined to believe he wasn't just always placing 2nd place in the tournaments he entered. From here on out, though, the padding becomes a bit more excessive. The pure stare down with no dialogue inbetween with Satoshi and Guzma was disappointing, but the "Satoshi reminds him of Kukai" (again) scene was great. Perhaps the interaction of Guzma's Gang with Satoshi and Friends, though, prior compensated?

Love the pre-battle cheering from Kuaki's wife towards Satoshi for his match with Guzma, for obvious reasons. Speaking of which, I find it incredibly bizarre how Satoshi's mom is NOWHERE to be found this particular series during its league, with how reappearing she was earlier in this series compared to others beforehand.

Now, Satoshi vs Gumza, starting right from the suppose Emergency Exit ability that Golisopod used instance, I don't like how the battle was handled from here on out. I understand the difference between U-Turn and Emergency Exit, but that's still not going to excuse a few things. One, I think Scizor, based on what was shown of it, should have had its guard up in the sameway Golispod did when it was brought in after Scizor used U-Turn to negate Fire Blast. I especially think this considering I'd figure either Gumza would have trained his Scizor to always be prepared incase Golispod ever used its ability (that it's legitimately known for doing constantly), all before his encounters with Satoshi (once again especially considering the past, including what the trophies indicated/implied further about it), after his first encounter with Satoshi (Guzma had all the incentive to take action after Satoshi gave him trouble after their first fight), and especially before a semi-finals league match... if not Scizor taking responsibility itself in being prepared for Golispod's abrupt use of its ability. Sorry, but both Scizor and Guzma are too smart for the way things turned out, imo. (Additionally, we've seen intelligent trainers make use of party switch outs, whether their Pokemon would be knocked out by the opponent or switched midway through.)

... Second, even with the quadruple advantage and Fire Blast of all fire type moves and lack of guard, Scizor going down in one hit is somewhat crazy. I'll give a pass on being unable to dodge with how close the move was, but going down in one hit, even with all the support that exist, I find a bit baffling. Now, it does go to show how strong Litten is, which also helps justify its competence vs Golisopod, but I still think the OH-KO concept was overboard. I suspect i'm going have an issue with the remaining part of the fight because the writers are going to have to make it entertaining enough to the point where the weakened Golispod both defeats Litten and gives Pikachu a good enough fight, which I call BS to both: Litten had it on the ropes before its retreat, took no damage from Scizor, and KO'ed it fast enough to the point to negate Golispod from recovering even a fraction of health. Then you have Pikachu, possibly Satoshi's strongest Pokemon in party, who is going to be at full health. However, If Pikachu wins without a Z move, I might find some peace instead, as it'll show Pikachu didn't need to go full power in order to beat a weakened Golispod. All that said, worth noting how Guzma went back to his "calm/collected" state (for now anyway) after lashing out on Golispod for its cowardice, and I actually like how Satoshi didn't interfere with Guzma's treatment towards it. It was clearly Golispod's fault, and he had no right to defend it there. Satoshi has also been in that type of situation himself a few times with his Pokemon and has gotten upset and angry himself, even.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm guessing it was to end it with a single sweep finish but that feels like a detrimental blow to Turtonator's move set.

Who cares about Turtonator's moveset? It's never gonna battle again in this show.

denatured

What's a denatured?

Torracat put in that work and I’m glad that the anime finally referenced type advantages and knew it would be ridiculous for Scizor to tank a 4x weakeness to Fire Blast.

You're right that they did that correctly, but at what cost? We barely got a 2on2 out of this battle now, considering that one of the two Pokémon was ended so quickly. I was interested in seeing Scizor's fighting style.

Has a Z move worked once this entire League? I swear why even use them at this point A they do nothing but deplete the Pokemons stamina

This question reminds me of a common Gen V topic: Has a type advantage worked in a gym once this entire generation? haha

The trophies showing up was a shock. The writers rarely (read: never) try fleshing out the main villains (the closest we got was Lysandre's brief flashback of helping people), so I hope they try to humanize future villains instead of making them generic bad guys for the heroes to shoot.

I think it's because Team Skull (similar to Team Yell) are just the comedic villain not the truly evil main villain. Hence why they also aren't getting any sort of concluding arc like past teams did. Even though he's anime-only, Viren is more of a "true villain" than Team Skull was in the anime, and he fits the same thing you just described, in terms of not being fleshed out at all. I'm not saying he's a true villain comparable to past Teams (hence why I put "true villain" in quotes), heck, no one is in SM just due to the nature of the anime, but just saying he's treated as more of a villain than anyone in Team Skull, including Guzma.

A whole two minutes of recycled Bewear+Stufful+robot Oranguru scenes was again unnecessary, and if they really wanted to show how bored they’re getting- at least don’t make it so needlessly long. There were much more important things to pay attention to in the episode.

Yes, as this scene kept repeating, I started to wonder whether the point was that on the third or fourth time, Bewear and Stufful would finally figure the fake Oranguru out, remember TR, and come and get them, when that didn't happen, I truly wondered wtf was the point of this scene. It just dragged forever! And it even felt longer than it was due to how slowly the characters were moving during it.

Pretty sure he meant Ash's Lycanroc and not Gladion's. Ash hasn't used his lycanroc in the league yet!

@satopi is a woman!

... Second, even with the quadruple advantage and Fire Blast of all fire type moves and lack of guard, Scizor going down in one hit is somewhat crazy. I'll give a pass on being unable to dodge with how close the move was, but going down in one hit, even with all the support that exist, I find a bit baffling. Now, it does go to show how strong Litten is, which also helps justify its competence vs Golisopod, but I still think the OH-KO concept was overboard. I suspect i'm going have an issue with the remaining part of the fight because the writers are going to have to make it entertaining enough to the point where the weakened Golispod both defeats Litten and gives Pikachu a good enough fight, which I call BS to both: Litten had it on the ropes before its retreat, took no damage from Scizor, and KO'ed it fast enough to the point to negate Golispod from recovering even a fraction of health. Then you have Pikachu, possibly Satoshi's strongest Pokemon in party, who is going to be at full health. However, If Pikachu wins without a Z move, I might find some peace instead, as it'll show Pikachu didn't need to go full power in order to beat a weakened Golispod. All that said, worth noting how Guzma went back to his "calm/collected" state (for now anyway) after lashing out on Golispod for its cowardice, and I actually like how Satoshi didn't interfere with Guzma's treatment towards it. It was clearly Golispod's fault, and he had no right to defend it there. Satoshi has also been in that type of situation himself a few times with his Pokemon and has gotten upset and angry himself, even.

Well, Gary's Scizor was also OHKOd by Ash's Charizard, but you're right on multiple counts:

1) Ash's Torracat isn't on the level of Ash's Charizard.
2) It makes the battle as a whole less interesting to me, when a Pokémon we hadn't seen battle before, whom I was excited to see fight, just faints like that.

It seemed like a copout by the writers honestly, as though they just wanted to avoid writing a Scizor battle.

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"The previous two rounds should have been this good"

Episode: 8/10

I wonder if Golisopod could beat Incineroar (Kukui) since his performance was spectacular
I don't think so, he was defeated by Braviary in the past, but I can see a closed battle if Guzma uses more than 2 Pokémon