• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rival a Jerk?

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Is it just me or does anyone else miss the Jerky Rivals from way back? when you play the Game now all the rivals are friendly and honorable and even help you out from time to time

but for some reason I miss Blue from R/B/Y. you have this stuck up kid who always seems to be 3 steps ahead of you, he's a complete D*** to you the whole time and some how becomes champ like 5 mins before you, you guys have this epic battle, you curbstomp him and shut him up for good make for a better story right?

G/S/C/HG/SS are equally as good, where you have a Rival who seeks power mercilessly and is will admittedly be a D-bag as well, after you beat him in to the dirt a few time he gradually respects you but is still determined to beat you, again decent story

Then you go to Gens 3-5 all this rivals are Professors assistants, granted I do like Barry and Cheren but I feel like the competitive rival drives you a bit more in the story, what do you guys think?

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I think all it really did was make you hate the rival. Those older games stereotyped rivalry with malice, douchebag-ery, and negative qualities. I personally think it's a breath of fresh air to portray rivalry in a positive manner.

trident20

ground types
I don't know about it. It's funny in SS I named the rival jerk

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

At first I thought this was a spam thread. I stand corrected!
Yeah. I like to name Gary "Smelly" so when he says "smell ya later!" I can say to myself, "Smelly... AWAY!".
I miss 'em. :'(

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
I know for me it made me train a little harder cause i always tried to keep up with his Levels, but everyone else was kind of easy, but I'm just saying it adds more to the character and make the game a little more fun

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I know for me it made me train a little harder cause i always tried to keep up with his Levels, but everyone else was kind of easy, but I'm just saying it adds more to the character and make the game a little more fun

Well that's the thing. It motivated us to train harder, but through negative reinforcement. But is that because negative reinforcement is always more motivating for us? I don't think so. I was just as motivated to kick the girl's butt in Ruby, and she was pretty nice. She was still always three steps ahead of me, and I was motivated in a different way to beat her.

With the meaner rivals, there was this sense of fear that he could come around the corner at any moment and kick my butt. I was motivated to train harder, but more out of fear and resentment toward him, personally. Perhaps Game Freak was aware of this, and slowly made future rivals a lot nicer.

Or perhaps people in Kanto/Johto just suck in general. xD

I do kinda miss them. Not to say I don't like the rivals from gen 2 on.

My thoughts~

Gary: Feels good to beat.
Silver: Nice change in attitude towards Pokemon.
May: Favorite rival so far :p
Barry: .... Don't care fom him at all.
Cheren: Despise for some reason.
Bianca: Ok, but ditzy XD.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I do kinda miss them. Not to say I don't like the rivals from gen 2 on.

My thoughts~

Gary: Feels good to beat.
Silver: Nice change in attitude towards Pokemon.
May: Favorite rival so far :p
Barry: .... Don't care fom him at all.
Cheren: Despise for some reason.
Bianca: Ok, but ditzy XD.

Yeah! For some reason, I really liked May as well. She was extremely likeable, while still really making me competitive to beat her.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
^ You don't have to be afraid, it's a game.

I also like the meaner rivals better, when you beat them ypu could say: In yo FACE! haha

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
I can't wait for the day when we get another rival who'll push you face first into the mud, rub your face in it with his boot all while calling your mother a w****. That is a rival I would feel honored to battle. No more beating around the daisies, we need to get back to the down and dirty. Everybody puts on this facade of being civil and friendly when we know that real fights ugly and produce hurt feelings.

Last edited:

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
I agree. I liked the older rival(s) better than the one's we have now on D/P/Pt and B/W. The only influence I had from the rivals' was this intimidation technique when they say "You're weak" or "I'll be the better trainer". Especially after a rival battle loss, you try harder to train your pokemon and you sort of find a balance within battling. And aside from that, they were "cooler" in my opinion, too.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I can't for the day when we get another rival who'll push you face first into the mud, run your face in it with his boot all while calling your mother a w****. That is a rival I would feel honored to battle. No more beating around the daisies, we need to get back to the down and dirty.

Lol for me personally, nothing you just mentioned sounded honorable, though I do agree that Pokemon could change directions away from the happy ditzy rivals.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Lol for me personally, nothing you just mentioned sounded honorable, though I do agree that Pokemon could change directions away from the happy ditzy rivals.

Let me see your honor by the brutality of your fists and the venom of your tongue and I will have found someone who is truly worthy to be paid homage to.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
I remember how much I hated Gary when I played LeafGreen. He was a cocky peice of s**t.

Even so, he really motivated me and was pretty challenging. You gotta love old Gary. XD

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
I liked them better, they had more personality

SimH8

I love the B/W approach of two rivals. I'd like one who is a good friend and one who is a ****.

Skydra

I think variety in characters is good. Maybe we could use some more antagonistic rivals along with some nicer ones, and not have the only "bad" people be the evil teams. We could use another Gary, I think.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I personally prefer the rivals of old since they were more antagonistic and fit more of into the role. I don't mind the rivals of today and like their friendliness but I like the fact that they gave your older rivals more of reason to want to challenge them. This is all my opinion of course.