• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rival Destinies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
So, two scenes that haven't even officially aired in Japan.

Weird.

Beeblebrox

Pretty good, I'd say. Puts me in mind of the Battle Dimension opening and song, although executed a hell of a lot better. Nice surprise to see clips from episodes which haven't aired in Japan yet.

Oh, and those rival clips are from episodes which have already aired last season, though they are probably indicative of a return from those characters at some point down the line.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Did TPCI plan ahead with there new opening?

So I was wondering considering TPCI has Skyla footage which I don't think has aired in Japan yet do you think they no things the viewers in Japan may not? Maybe rival battles throughout the season. I think this is the first time when they made there open footage opening that had so many spoilers. Battle Dimension pretty much was footage from the first 4 episodes of the season and so was Galatic Battles.

Haunter ゴースト

Of course TPCI know things the viewers don't, it's likely they have at least the first 20 episodes of this season already which haven't even aired in Japan yet and are currently dubbing them.

^ That would be awful.

Anyways; my opinion:

The opening is so much better than the Black and White one. I love that it shows Elesa, Clay, and Skyla. I'm really glad Skyla and Ash's Unfezant are in it. It is just such an improvement from the last one.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I like this new opening. The song is pretty nice

I'm surprised it had scenes of episodes that didn't air at Japan yet. Makes me wonder how many episodes they dubbed so far

Last edited:

charizardmaster125

Okay so here are my thoughts on the Season 15 theme. I’m sorry to say but It felt kind of well, underwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, it’s decent and catchy enough for its pathetic 30 Second length but with Pokémon airing on Cartoon Network in the States now, its lacklustre length will come as no surprise since how post Season 9 themes have been put together.

That said, I did like “We Will Be Heroes”, “Battle Cry” and “We Will Carry on” because they felt a bit unique in my opinion along with the change from using male vocals to female vocals, though I felt that things started to go downhill after Black and White – the TV version, the movie version rocked despite that Joe Philips probably wasn’t the strongest male singer heard on Pokémon since the first rendition of “The Time Has Come” from “Pikachu’s Goodbye” way back in Season 1 though back then, that rendition was probably good enough for its time.

You get the feeling that John Loeffler is starting to run short on ideas for lyrics and music and it certainly isn’t his fault, it’s only because Pokémon has gone on for so long now and now, it seems like he’s been forced to re-use lyrics from past themes like “Another Day” and “It’s our Destiny” from both versions of “We Will Be Heroes” added to the fact that TPCi were insistent on having a new opening theme slapped together as mentioned in his recent interview with Poké Press.

On the actual tune itself, I’ve been thinking it sounds awfully similar to Black & White though I’m not sure why, though maybe I’m given that impression after watching the show for so long and being so used to the last theme song as I thought that its movie counterpart was well done.

I would have been okay with John using the newer version of “Black & White” for this season if I’m honest. On the footage front, clips from future episodes were to be expected since Japan hasn’t come with a new opening yet but they actually work surprisingly well here and don’t seem like they’ve been cut and pasted together in Window’s Movie Maker.

I’m sure that footage will change once the Japanese come up with a new opening OR if we get to Season 16 by say the final Gym then we’ll obviously end up getting a new song and footage from a new Japanese opening if one is conceived.

The singer’s, Alex Nackman and Kathryn Raio work quite well here. I’m glad that Alex was chosen as he did quite well with his mix of “Follow Your Star” in Movie 14 and he was quite a good pick. I’ve listened to Kathryn’s rendition of “Follow Your Star” and to me it didn’t sound as good as Alex’s rendition but I felt that it wasn’t Kathryn’s fault as the backing track wasn’t really to my liking.

Here however, Kathryn gives allot of strength to this theme and sounds pretty good for someone who is young and just starting in music. Kathryn is young and shows allot of potential and is certainly a nice change of pace from Erin Bowman who herself has sung a number of Pokémon songs in the past couple of years or so.

I do have more I want to say but I don’t want this post to get too big so I’ll continue after some more reaction comes in.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Surprised that they've actually shown scenes which haven't aired in Japan yet. Though there's one that I'm surprised no one has pointed out yet . . .

Skyla and Unfezant are obvious ones, but how has nobody seen that Ash is using Oshawott in a decidedly icy gym-looking setting . . . Oshawott against Brycen, anybody?

Haunter ゴースト

Surprised that they've actually shown scenes which haven't aired in Japan yet. Though there's one that I'm surprised no one has pointed out yet . . .

Skyla and Unfezant are obvious ones, but how has nobody seen that Ash is using Oshawott in a decidedly icy gym-looking setting . . . Oshawott against Brycen, anybody?

It's only the accelgor superhero guy episode with the enemies who own Vanilites.

charizardmaster125

Back again and after hearing a “clean version” of the song, that shoehorned football style chant of “Pokémon!” at the end sounds, well, pretty bad, sounding like its being shouted by some middle aged men which it probably is. The end chant would have been just fine with only Alex and Kathryn and lets bring back the 4Kids style chant of Pokémon at the end of the theme, if you’ve listened to the themes from Seasons 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 then you might know what I’m trying to get at.

Or then again, how about no chant of “Pokémon!” at all for a change, it might work as long as the song can be finished nicely. That said, it can be hard not to do that since every song has to be 30 seconds and you can’t think of how to end a song without the chant of Pokémon.

“This is the worst Pokémon opening ever. A boring rip off of SLV and what not. Why can’t there be finally something full of energy, rhythm, melody? Something like Orange Islands, Johto League Champions?” By TuneTamasha from YouTube.

I sort of agree with this comment. While I believe it’s not the worst theme song ever, I do believe that since well, “Black & White” that Pokémon songs have lost their energy and peppiness that they had in the 4Kid’s days. While I do believe that it’s nice to have a mix of music styles, like I said about “Black & White”, it sounds like a theme for a Soap Opera like “Neighbours”, then again, with how long Pokémon has been airing now, I suppose you could class it as a Soap since how characters come and go and make brief returns added to the fact that Ash’s story is never ending.

Personally, they could go back to using “I Wanna Be the Very Best”, it’s a cult classic. “Neighbours” has been running on Australian and UK television sets for over 25 Years now and that gets away by using the same song and lyrics, just remixed with different vocals and background melodies every five to six years just to keep the show fresh which might have been interesting to see with the Season 1 theme.

Dawn’s Japanese Song “By Your Side” went down that route and that worked pretty well as did “Aim to Be a Pokémon Master” and “The Greatest Everyday”. “I Wanna Be the Very Best” evolved into “Born to Be a Winner” extremely well. Maybe have one distinct theme for each saga and revamp it with different vocals, background music and lyrics at each season change. Then again, I’m glad we didn’t have to put up with the infamous DP Rap for as long as Sinnoh was.

And if TPCi are reading this which I guess they probably aren’t - this “Friends together forever now” and “It’s our destiny” stuff has really got to stop, It’s getting annoying and repetitive, you’ve proved that point in Season 11. Save that for if Pokémon gets a Soap Opera spin off – LOL! :p

The writing style has to change; you’ve shown how creative you were with Black & White in Movie 14 so let’s see that translate to the TV Series, unless of course this cheesiness is intentional. ;)

I know that I am being biased here but 4Kid’s managed to largely refrain from using this in their Pokémon themes (barring their CD Songs a, few of which being centred on “Pokéshipping” anyway) and this is mainly because their themes centred around Ash and they actually related to his journey, especially when using the First Person, it feels like Ash is singing himself, even if it wasn’t actually him, just the likes of Jason Paige, Russell Valázquez and David Rolfe.

Personally, I feel that Pokémon would have worked better in the “Direct to Subbed / Dubbed DVD and relatively untouched department” and it’s a shame that TPCi failed to capitalize on that market since they took over, the banned episodes are certainly in high demand if that’s anything to go by.

Anyways, I think that’s everything that I want to get off my chest and I’m sorry if you felt that was like a rant or an “I want this and that list” but this is really just how I feel. :cool:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I like it. Using only episode scenes usually annoys me, but I can understand in this case because Japan hasn't updated their opening. The song is decent for 30 seconds, and the full song is always the highlight.

I kind of wish we went back to the openings pre-Sinnoh where they weren't reduced to 30 seconds and had specially made scenes.

Pato361

I really like this new opening.I think it's a lot better than the previous one.Finally scenes from the actual anime.And spoilers are always welcomed by me(even if I know of all these things in the opening).And I like it has scenes that haven't aired in Japan yet.The song's pretty nice too.
But the best thing for me is the 1 second cameo of Ash's Unfezant.

Haunter ゴースト

I like it. Using only episode scenes usually annoys me, but I can understand in this case because Japan hasn't updated their opening. The song is decent for 30 seconds, and the full song is always the highlight.

I kind of wish we went back to the openings pre-Sinnoh where they weren't reduced to 30 seconds and had specially made scenes.

I agree with all of this.

Practically everything I would have said really.

Status
Not open for further replies.