• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rival Showdown! Ash VS Bea!! (1174)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
so that's what Bea apparently meant when she said Korrina was "soft". I'm glad she's here watching this.

so far no knockouts, but i guess they needed to pad this if it was going to be a two parter.

and nice interaction at the start between all the pokemon too.

So...how was this episode?
I thought it was alright. Character interactions were good. On the production end, a standard Journeys episode with pretty lackluster cuts and flat boards throughout THOUGH there was some great Machamp bullet punches . The music was really underwhelming here, didn't feel like it fit the episode.

Besides that, I think the core of the episode and the next rests on the Lucario/Ash dynamic.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
My quick impression is that the episode was….serviceable.

I can say that i could enjoy that little bit of interaction in the start. I previously said trying to cram an episode worth of interaction with bea after all this time would just feel like too much padding, but this was fine.

But on the other hand the other obvious outcome did happen in which the battle felt really slow and more like padding. The animation was meh for the most part and the movement are so slow the pokemon feel like they‘re floating most of the time. I agree with @Power Up that only the machamp pummeling looked good. The rest of the fight was boring, but that was always going to happen with a streched out 3v3. You can feel how they try to squeeze as many seconds from each scene, especially with the commentaries.

Hopefully the next episode delivers.

Risrhayne

This was a pretty good buildup episode, but I guess I’m a little down that this whole battle will be more for Lucario than Ash’s whole team. I really really really hope that this will be the last time we deal with Bea. Her liking sweets just isn’t enough to make up for her boring rivalry with Ash and I don’t want to see Lucario angst their way through multiple hits for a 4th time while the rest of Ash’s (much stronger) team gets KO’d in two strikes.

Ash has yet to use his 3rd Pokémon, so I hope next week doesn’t make them a measuring stick for Lucario.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
so that's what Bea apparently meant when she said Korrina was "soft". I'm glad she's here watching this.

so far no knockouts, but i guess they needed to pad this if it was going to be a two parter.

and nice interaction at the start between all the pokemon too.
Yup, the 'amai' (sweet) felt like a deliberate choice of words, and there are even fanarts from back when the episode aired that explained the misdirect. Just one of those cases where there isn't a perfect translation equivalent.

Korrina being a Bea fan... cue the shippers
Overall meh episode. Ash is getting outplayed here. Bea trains her Pokémon better than Ash

nuzamaki90

God I love these PWC episodes because they are always prime for the best interactions. You really get to see all the characters just pop and Pokémon show off even a hint of personality. Seeing everyone just hanging out reminded me of those promotional posters they do in the magazines, but now we are seeing them in an actual episode.

Also the battle is starting off great, though I do dislike how Tomioka basically has to come up with forced drama for Ash every single time he battles in this series in order to show him struggling. In every other series, even in SM, Ash practiced with whatever new powerup he got before his next major battle, but here he just goes straight to Galar without maybe sparring with the two Mega Evolution trainers he was just with.

However that didn’t affect my enjoyment of the episode at all, and seeing Leon here watching the battle in person was a nice surprise. Really this whole episode was filled with enjoyable suprises and I can’t wait to see the climax next week. Bring on Mega Lucario VS Gigantamax Machamp!

D

Deleted member 384931

So why is Leon here anyway? Will he reveal another Master Class trainer?

MegaSalamence05

Going into this there's outcomes that I would believe are true. Ash only uses Mega Evolution when there are no options left. Pretty much a last resort option. Lucario has gotten hit a couple times including Hawlacha's brave bird. Only surprised that Ash didn't use Double Team there but that's just me.

Pikachu, Sirfetch'd and Mega Lucario
Vs
Grapploct, Hawlucha and Giga Machamp

With no Pokemon on either side falling in this episode, it just means that they'll drop like flies next episode.

Assuming Pikachu beats Grapploct, Sirfetch'd draws with Hawlucha, Pikachu loses to Machamp then Mega Lucario beats Giga Machamp. That's it, hope everyone has a great day

DeltaGod770

What's with Bea showing up in this series that always makes Ash lose what few brain cells he actually has? Seriously, where's the strategy and adaptability we usually see any other time? It's like he's going out his way to handicap himself for this battle, from choosing Pikachu instead using Gengar or Dragonite to refusing to recall Lucario even though it's taking way too much damage.

The writers keep trying to hype up Bea as some incredibly tough opponent for Ash but none of it is believable. Ash has fought and overcome far more powerful and intelligent trainers in the past including a freaking champion. I'm all for giving Galar gym leaders some love, god knowing it's long overdue from this series, but the way the writers are manufacturing this fake sense of tension with Bea is just completely disingenuous. 5/10

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You can tell that the structure of this two-parter could have been used for Volkner, who got everything done immediately in his own episode as to not stretch things too much.

And figures Stow-on-Side is thrown to the side (and by extension Allister) over being inside in the stadium. I want to see the Dugtrio statues.
I assume Lucario prefers to do it on his own terms, rather than to be saved from a pinch. It would be dishonorable for him.
In other words, the writers don't want to end this battle too soon.