• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rival Showdown! Ash VS Bea!! (1174)

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
This episode was aight. The korrina / bea stuff was exactly what I thought it was but I was still entertained thoroughly by it. Lucario went through all three pokemon being beaten in excess by all three and not even looking damaged to the point where it says no to mega evolution when brought up for the first time in that fight got me feeling some kinda way. Like "why is his team so full of bruisers who can take a malicious beating against types they're weak to and then there's Gengar just being the fall guy all the time every time" Kinda way. I also don't know how to feel about ash trying to hit the panic button at the first time of distress. If having z moves has taught him anything, it should've been waiting for the right opportunity to pop something like that. Heck that was the very thing he did against Volkner. It felt more like a silly way to set up Leon being in the episode than anything else. I don't have much else to say besides that concerninig the episode. It was little more than a set up for the next one where the real fun stuff comes in. Speaking of which, the preview of the next episode just makes me realize mega evolution isn't in sword and shield and just wondering, "but why?" all the time. It'd be cool if Mega Evolution was in BDSP but we haven't seen anything about that so I doubt it'll be much more than a straight remake with some neat post game Giratina stuff on the side. Weird tangent, I know but just my thoughts when the preview of the next episode came up. As for this episode:

7/10

Decidueye23

Writers cant make up their damn mind. One episode he is the "Champion of Alola" and nother episode he is an unknown underdog lool

The episode was fine. Love the first half. Interactions were on point.
Didnt mind the battle but nithing too great. A good set up for next episode though. Hopefully the adrenanline kicks in then.
Leon was a sweet suprise.

BobbbidyBob

Just finished watching it! The first part of this ep was my favorite, with all the character interactions and stuff, I would like to see more of these, the second was the battle and stuff.....whatever lol I’ll stick with the first part

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
It's not necessarily a 'dumb Ash' moment more so writer/storyboarder 'creating fake tension' moment, which was completely unnecessary. There's no reason to portray Ash as an underdog, at least not forcefully like this, even more so when you consider that their last match was a tie. Ash has been shown to think up something clever and unorthodox under pressure, so him just being frustrated and letting Lucario get beat while clueless as to what to do is a direct contradiction of a logic that the anime itself established all for that 'fake tension' I mentioned earlier. Hell, since you brought up Pikachu tying down Grapploct and then switching out, it's a direct contradiction of the episode's writing itself.

Yeah i also didn’t like how they tried too hard to put ash as an underdog in the fight this episode. It all just feel unnecessary and over the top to me. Because it didn’t even feel like bea outplaying ash, but ash just jot bringing any game. None of lucario’s attack even land, and ash felt like he barely tried anything. Considering they already tied and the supposed ‘ash being skilled and unbeatable’ this should’ve been the time for a close back and forth battle, like they advertised, but no.

This was definitely just a way to stretch things out so the fight can ACTUALLY start next ep, but in a way it makes it feel like this whole ep was pointless. If it wasn’t for the nice interaction of the first part this episode would definitely be skippable without anything of value lost, and even then i question how worth it that was so they had to do this really bad padding.

D

Deleted member 384931

Yeah i also didn’t like how they tried too hard to put ash as an underdog in the fight this episode. It all just feel unnecessary and over the top to me. None of lucario’s attack even land, and ash felt like he barely tried anything. Considering they already tied and the supposed ‘ash being skilled and unbeatable’ this should’ve been the time for a close back and forth battle, like they advertised, but no.

This was definitely just a way to stretch things out so the fight can ACTUALLY start next ep, but in a way it makes it feel like this whole ep was pointless. If it wasn’t for the nice interaction of the first part this episode would definitely be skippable without anything of value lost.
Sadly yes. It was Lucario getting beaten by Beas pokemon.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
BRAVO for the writers to make interactions between gym leaders of other regions (Corni and Bae).
Well done <3333
Also Ash and Goh remembered Bae insulted Corni when they first met her.
Now that's the kind of writing I love.
Good job ! <3

And Corni bringing Puffins from Kalos are another well written reference to past gens

Pokemonfan5

Can we please stop saying Bea trained hard with her Pokemons while Ash didn't, Bea training session was pretty much as long as Ash's Pokemons training session in JN51 while there is many more throughout JN.

If you're going to assume Bea trained lot more off screen than that apply to Ash as well.

thor94

Writers cant make up their damn mind. One episode he is the "Champion of Alola" and nother episode he is an unknown underdog lool

The episode was fine. Love the first half. Interactions were on point.
Didnt mind the battle but nithing too great. A good set up for next episode though. Hopefully the adrenanline kicks in then.
Leon was a sweet suprise.
The writers never changed their mind.
Until now, thks the underdog curse they permanently carved on ash body since 1998, outside of alola region (and only once in Journey serie by two kids), the writers always depicted that pokeworld as a whole never cared about Ash new champion title or maybe seen manalo conference as some poor insignificant minor tournament not even worth to mention in any international news (not surprising when you notice that half of manalo top8 could probably be defeated by pathetic trainers like Astounding Mandi without much troubles).

I won't be surprised if in next episode, Ash lose against Bea, it will be another of the usual anime curses with "Ash never defeated his main rival before the final battles of the current generation serie".

Also if the next episode preview didn't shown a mega-lucario i would have said, Ash Lucario refusal to mega-evolve is only another writer excuse to give ash mega without really giving ash mega.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
You can use one regional gimmick in a fight, not one of each in a fight
You can use exactly one regional gimmick per fight and are allowed exactly one use of it. Clearly the show doesn't want a situation where, say, Satoshi Daimaxes Mega Lucario and then uses a Z-Move on top of it. Which would be absolutely ludicrous and absurd but ngl I kinda want to see it happen.

BobbbidyBob

You know...a Kalosian and Galarian getting along...makes sense! =)

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
I do like that they clarified that you can only use one of Dynamax/Mega Evo/Z-Moves in PWC battles considering that Ash has access to all three methods, it would've been a bit too good if he could use multiple in one battle, which deviates from the Gen 7 games where a player can use Mega Evolution and a Z-Move in the same battle, but at the same time we're not in Gen 7, we're in Gen 8 so that is a moot point. I completely forgot that Bea had a sweet tooth until Korrina arrived with confectionery from Kalos, although her face when heading towards Bea reminded me of Yugioh 5Ds for example when Crow and Yusei reunited, it looked like they were going to have a fight only for it to be a nice reunion. Lucario indicating to Ash that it didn't want to Mega Evolve yet, and the subsequent explanation from Leon saying that it'll happen at the appropriate time is something I appreciated, Lucario knows that it's too early in the battle for Mega Evolution and it didn't want to force Ash's hand too early, Lucario knows that Ash wants to win but also that Ash shouldn't get too reckless.