• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Also i dont think People have gone back to liking journeys lol. They just liked one episode. Its going to take a lot more for the overall opinion to change.
No, no. I didn't mean they like Journeys. Just that this one episode (heavily relying on nostalgia filters) didn't have many denouncing it, sandwiched between many, many, many bad episodes.
I like that this episode kind of confirms that the pokémon residing at the lab are not confined there and are free to leave and roam around as they please.
Um, that has always been the case before.

Except this one time was weird. Not ALL of Ash's Pokemon came to receive him (bunch of ***), and apparently only one of them bothers to spar.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
One of the best episodes of Journeys so far. Didn't feel rushed. Felt more like a setting for The Project Mew.
Continuity was at its best. Loved every detail and hooooolllyyyy...I never expected a flashback of Paul, the best rival ever.
Tracy was also reminded to exist.
Will be nice to see Gary again, hopefully with a Gen 8 Pokemon or Gigantamax Blastoise. That Corviknight fits Gary so much.

Last edited:

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Because the poachers evaded Suicune? And because Suicune's priority was cleansing the lake? Like obviously these guys were intelligent, they weren't Team Rocket. Like they cleverly used the knowledge about Suicune against it.
Why is Suicune a legendary Pokemon if it's too dumb to wonder why the lake is being polluted much more than usual?

UnovaMaster

I don't think people understand what the word sidelining means, just because Goh fought a big shiny bird less than two other people doesn't mean he wasn't the star of the episode

Literally him working through each revelation and coming to a resolve was the basis of the episode, your callback paloozas didn't stop Goh's psychological inner workings from being the 1st wheel of the episode

STICKTOPIA

I’m only hoping that infernape will play a future role or else this episode makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, was torkoal not important to be included as one of the fire types that infernape trained against? I wish I could have seen his other Pokémon like snivy and sceptile but seeing a decent amount of them was satisfactory. All the talking that they’ve done could have been better spent with a little more interactions with the other Pokémon.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
I don't really care about Goh's personality portrayal anymore. It's a fact that he's wildly inconsistent. He's whatever the writers need him to be in any particular episode, a universal remote (like smug and arrogant in 48, confident and a perfect battler in 36, awkward in 37 etc.). The only consistent parts would be the asocial traits but those are far too self contained and non-impactful in the bigger picture. Hey, at least he was sidelined in this episode...
This is exactly the problem in my opinion with Goh as a Character in General. He is just all over the place and whatever the Writers want him to be. At this point, the more episodes he is sidelined in, the better. I absolutely loved this Episode, he got completely shitted on by Ash & Gary's Relationship, I want more of that.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I legit thought that this episode would ultimately set up Ash deciding Infernape could be perfect for his new quest, since it's aiming to get stronger and stronger. But then nothing happened so, I hope that eventually leads somewhere, lol.

This is exactly the problem in my opinion with Goh as a Character in General. He is just all over the place and whatever the Writers want him to be. At this point, the more episodes he is sidelined in, the better. I absolutely loved this Episode, he got completely shitted on by Ash & Gary's Relationship, I want more of that.
>character depicts more than one personality trait
>oh no he's all over the place, so inconsistent

Holy ****. You people have been among other human beings, right? We display multiple characteristics in different situations. Goh can act arrogant, and he can be awkward too in some cases, what is wrong with that?

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I legit thought that this episode would ultimately set up Ash deciding Infernape could be perfect for his new quest, since it's aiming to get stronger and stronger. But then nothing happened so, I hope that eventually leads somewhere, lol.
I honestly kinda felt sorry for the monkey. It just did all of his moved ineffectively once, then it’s role was over.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I’m only hoping that infernape will play a future role or else this episode makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, was torkoal not important to be included as one of the fire types that infernape trained against? I wish I could have seen his other Pokémon like snivy and sceptile but seeing a decent amount of them was satisfactory. All the talking that they’ve done could have been better spent with a little more interactions with the other Pokémon.

torkoal should've never been caught.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
There's a lot I want to unpack in this episode, so there's going to be a bit of an essay. The first thing I want to bring up is that I was astonished that the writers remembered Tracey existed, given the last time he appeared was back in 2013 during the latter parts of Best Wishes, and he's still affiliated with Oak. Second thing I want to mention is that, whilst I disliked that Gary's Cheerleaders looked completely different than they were in the Original Series, in retrospect, having them with a more youthful appearance was the better call imo, and on the subject of flashbacks, this is the second time that the battle between Ash and Gary was reanimated, having said that the flashback from Ash's battle with Paul compared to the original scene was pretty much similar (when I saw the comparison shots on a facebook group, which unfortunately was a spoiler for me given I scrolled past it earlier before watching the episode). Another thing I want to mention is that I'm disappointed that Charizard didn't use Flamethrower on Ash upon greeting like every other time the two reunited, its standards are slipping, though I liked it when all of Ash's pokemon that were there (Some of those who weren't included most of Ash's Hoenn 'mons, and this is the second time that Corphish is the only one of Ash's Hoenn 'mons to appear since the end of Best Wishes, the other time being SM042) darted off when Ash's Tauros ran Ash over. If Gary doesn't call Ash "Ashy-boy" when the dub of this episode airs, I will be disappointed. His dialogue when he appears from behind Blastoise seems perfect for that, and it's nice to see him with the banter that he possessed in the Original Series when addressing Go. One thing I will say about Infernape vs Moltres was that I legit thought Infernape had gone back to using Flame Wheel because the animation looked more akin to Flame Wheel than Flare Blitz in the sense that the flames weren't coloured blue as it sometimes is when Flare Blitz is used, and whilst I'm on the subject of the battle, Blastoise got beaten by a Fire-type AGAIN. That being said, I didn't think Gary would be involved with Project Mew, but I suppose they had to integrate it into the plot without introducing Tsurugi and Asahi from the off, yes Asahi appeared at the end speaking to Gary, but that was after the Project Mew thing was mentioned.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I was worried that there would be some crazy negative reception over this episode, but luckily, it seems most people are being pretty reasonable, especially regarding Goh's role and the interactions with Gary. It's good when people are positive for a change.
DP flashbacks and Goh behaving like a third wheel (with somewhat inconsistent character personality) are pretty much panacea for an otherwise sub-par saga.

RafaSceptile

I was worried that there would be some crazy negative reception over this episode, but luckily, it seems most people are being pretty reasonable, especially regarding Goh's role and the interactions with Gary. It's good when people are positive for a change.
The fact that this thread has still less than 300 replies is a prove that this episode is not as controversial as some of the previous episodes.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Please go take a creative writing course
angrybob.png