• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

Morax

King of heroes
Continuity has always been in the series so why is their any surprisement at this point? It reeks of insecurity when people are amazed at past events being referenced when the show has always done that. Or has no one been paying attention and instead drowned themselves into the ridiculous belief that the writers hate talking about the past?
If i haven't said it already, this fandom is cynical as fuck. In their heads the writers are devil incarnate and are searching for ways to cuck their audience at every corner. Forget the fact that it's a kodomomuke, they believe pokemon works on completely different rules than regular anime.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The amount of reaching some of you do to justify others having excitement is equally funny and sad. The ironic cynicism never fails lol

Morax

King of heroes
The amount of reaching some of you do to justify others having excitement is equally funny and sad. The ironic cynicism never fails lol
I think you misunderstood. I'm expressing frustration with people getting surprised over the slightest of continuity. Some had convinced themselves that tracey/paul won't return because they are (((anime-only characters))). There's a limit to how sceptical one can be. Almost every discussion in this forum begins with "i want this to happen but i know it won't because muh writers". The amount of distrust towards the writers is insane.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I've gotta say, while I'm disappointed about the reserves' treatment, the whole Project Mew stuff at least seems like it could finally make Goh's goal engaging to watch, since tbh his goal is by far the least interesting part of his character. Now will they succeed in this? I have no idea, either way by now I'm just watching episodes that seem interesting, so I guess I'll see in some time

RafaSceptile

Seriously good God just say you didn't like the episode and go. People can enjoy the show however they want
But Ignition liked the episode:

Finally got to watch the episode.
*Really loved seeing the reserves. Was disappointed that certain Pokémon were missing like Sceptile but I have hope that they’ll return in the future (hopefully for battling). Where was Torkoal with the other Fire mons?!

*Seeing Infernape again made me so happy! Showing each of its forms, the flashback to the GOAT battle with Paul @ the Sinnoh League, Gary complementing him, and him just being so excited to see Ash again. I’m generally happy with the outcome of the anime but rarely do I ever feel this pleased. Felt like a kid again

*Gary’s return was really good. I’m not that nostalgic for him but I was really pleased with how they portrayed him. They used both his classic (teasing with his one step ahead tendencies”) and more recent (knowledgeable and observant about Pokémon) characteristics well. His dynamic with Ash really gave off their old bestie/arch rivals vibe off well. He’s still a skilled battler with Blastoise and Electivire (Umbreon who?). Wish we could’ve seen him interact with Gliscor and comment on his growth but I know that’s asking for a lot lol

*Goh was really well done as well. When I heard he was jealous of Gary, I was hesitant since I loathe jealousy dynamics and the anime has never done it well save for TRio and Biff, Cassidy, & Matori. But honestly? It didn’t seem like he was jealous because of his bond with Ash. Gary teased him about him not being a worthwhile friend for Ash and that he couldn’t be a peer for him just to motivate him. Every iteration of the Gen 1 rival tends to use teasing as a way to motivate people they seem as worthy so it makes sense. Go was reasonable in not being used to Gary’s way of expressing his support and being angry. You can tell he was slowly getting used to it after Gary actively asked for his opinion on how the valley connected to Moltres. It’s nice that him being motivated by Gary into joining PM sets up them being rivals.

*Moltres was cool. Disappointed that Infernape didn’t have a chance to do more but I liked how Gary held his own for a bit. Also seeing that Cinderace clearly had no chance against Moltres saved this thread from more “ugh Go is getting freebies!” comments. Burn Up looked sick too

Overall amazing episode. Besides a few missed opportunities that might get rectified in future appearances, I found this to be flawless. Easily my favorite episode of Journeys and top 10 overall. 11/10.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I think you misunderstood. I'm expressing frustration with people getting surprised over the slightest of continuity. Some had convinced themselves that tracey/paul won't return because they are (((anime-only characters))). There's a limit to how sceptical one can be. Almost every discussion in this forum begins with "i want this to happen but i know it won't because muh writers". The amount of distrust towards the writers is insane.
XY really ruined us man. Barely a crumb of references for three years beyond a Cilan cameo, and Movie 20 comed along and erases two beloved characters for a anniversary movie I think it just destroyed a lot of good faith people had when it comes to that sort of thing. So seeing Journeys be so liberal with it in ways the anime hasn't utilized in nearly a decade I can't blame people for being excited about it
But Ignition liked the episode:
Sorry I didn't read it closely enough my bad.

Morax

King of heroes
XY really ruined us man. Barely a crumb of references for three years beyond a Cilan cameo, and Movie 20 comed along and erases two beloved characters for a anniversary movie I think it just destroyed a lot of good faith people had when it comes to that sort of thing. So seeing Journeys be so liberal with it in ways the anime hasn't utilized in nearly a decade I can't blame people for being excited about it

Sorry I didn't read it closely enough my bad.
I think there's been a change in the creative liberty/executive supervision since Ash lost the kalos league. SM onwards they are constantly trying to appeal to their fans with ash winning a league, old companions returning etc. It's like they have finally understood that pissing off their audience is bad for business.

Jers745

I dont know :p
Vermilion itself keeps attracting a lot of weirdos just because Ash and Goh live there.
Who exactly if you mean filler characters they always lived there, its just that our protagonist just now got interested in them and the plot actually requires them, tho i must admit they are pretty wierd

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Any idea how many episodes this series will have?
It is very hard to estimate, in particular with this series which has completely shaken up the status quo from the previous series. Because the characters aren't tied down to any particular region (or any particular set of games) and can basically go anywhere, writers have the freedom to do whatever they want for as long as they want. There are no gym quest or trials for Ash, only his participation in PWC, which is also super unpredictable, because the ranking system allows the writer to prolong this quest for however long they want to. Goh's goal is to catch all Pokemon, which is something that will take either a long time or forever, so he could also stick around for a very long time.

I would imagine if they follow the previous series, somewhere about 150 episodes, maybe? Again, it's very hard to tell, especially with how much the structure has changed.

Theoretically, gen 9 games could come out, and the writers could technically just keep following Ash and Goh's adventures, and the only obligation they'd have is to have them visit the new region from time to time, or set a storyline there.

Last edited:

deliaketchum

It is very hard to estimate, in particular with this series which has completely shaken up the status quo from the previous series. Because the characters aren't tied down to any particular region (or any particular set of games) and can basically go anywhere, writers have the freedom to do whatever they want for as long as they want. There are no gym quest or trials for Ash, only his participation in PWC, which is also super unpredictable, because the ranking system allows the writer to prolong this quest for however long they want to. Goh's goal is to catch all Pokemon, which is something that will take either a long time or forever, so he could also stick around for a very long time.

I would imagine if they follow the previous series, somewhere about 150 episodes, maybe? Again, it's very hard to tell, especially with how much the structure has changed.

Theoretically, gen 9 games could come out, and the writers could technically just keep following Ash and Goh's adventures, and the only obligation they'd have is to have them visit the new region from time to time, or set a storyline there.
Thanks for detailed reply. With series already half done, i wonder how would they fit world championship matches and project mew in 70-80 episodes. The way they have hyped master class and possibly other regional champion returns, it seems too much especially if master class has full battles.