• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I Love how Oak is surprised to see Suicune being captured by Goh and how that would be his ticket to Project Mew
However in the trailers Tsurugi tells Goh hes disqualified after he saves them
Guess we know what that means now, Ash and Goh will probably be kicked out of Project Mew and have to earn their way back in
Tsurugi really intrigues me. This arc is gonna be something else!

ShadowDragon16

Honestly this has been one of the better episodes. However it still suffered from bad writing, this seems to be a issue with Journeys they have these great ideas but they just seemed over advertised and over hyped with little substance. Would have loved to seen more of the reserves.

But...... solid on continuity, A+

Finally some wild Pokémon having none of Gohs catch happy throws.

Moltres was a beast, used a accurate call and showed the amazing power of a fire type.

Guess we had to remind everyone that Goh caught a suicune yet Oak isn’t at all interested in any of Ash’s catches? Not Dragonite or His fossil Frankenstein Fish? Ok

Wonder how Ash will get into Project Mew?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
What misleading advertisement lmao? This episode's name was about project mew and Gary and this episode was about that. Not their fault we thought Ash's reserves are the main part based on stills

Well just like iris or even korrina episode this should have been a 2 parter episode, with 68 more about reserves while 69 about project mew, no wonder this episode felt rushed, still a top notch episode for me.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This episode didn't feel rushed to me in the slightest, it did what it set out to do in a perfect pace. We all wanted a 2 parter to see more reserves time but that doesn't mean this episode was rushed. It didn't feel like it at all to me
Neither did Iris episode for that matter. Now Korrina and Alola episode Definitely felt rushed. And yes I agree all 4 of these could have used a 2 parter to give us more stuff, although with korrina maybe they could have just cut down on gurkinn and Goh and that would be enough

J. D. Guy

I Love how Oak is surprised to see Suicune being captured by Goh and how that would be his ticket to Project Mew
However in the trailers Tsurugi tells Goh hes disqualified after he saves them
Guess we know what that means now, Ash and Goh will probably be kicked out of Project Mew and have to earn their way back in
Tsurugi really intrigues me. This arc is gonna be something else!
Wait, what trailers?

J. D. Guy

The earlier project mew trailer, the very first one we got. Tsurugi says something along the lines of Goh is disqualified which people took to mean he's saying he's not worthy or something but now we know what he actually meant
Sorry, but could you explain how we know what that meant? (I also thought there were new trailers, and didn't know they were subbed.)

Risrhayne

What a lovely fanservice episode. Even though in the end it was another Goh episode with some Ash icing, it was an important one because one of the biggest things that Goh has been missing has been a concrete organization/rival that keeps him on his toes to get better. The idea that he’ll have to complete a trial to get into Project Mew sounds like it could be a great idea so long as he isn’t just given his ticket because “wOw you caught a Suicune AND Eternatus, here you go”. And I think they implied this actually being a challenge by having Pigeotto and Onix bust out of his pokeballs and having Gary and Ash both protect his Cinderace because he is NOT ready for this expedition.

I DO wish we saw more of Ash’s lab pokemon though. I’m pretty sure I predicted most of the cameos with Muk and Tauros. But hey, they showed a healthy mix of regions instead of just his Kanto mons and we had lots of cameos of his previous companions and rivals. It definitely WAS fanservice though and I honestly feel kinda duped that Infernape was barely in this one. Infernape is arguably Ash’s deepest Pokémon with a character arc that carried through its entire evolutionary line. A couple flashbacks ain’t gonna do it justice. It sorta felt like they just threw it in to promote BDSP and to not have Ash try to tussle with Moltres with his Lucario that would have been useless against it. Speaking of Lucario, anyone else a little sad that Ash didn’t introduce his Journeys team to his old team like he did in Alola?

Also, can I just say how much I LOVED Moltres’ cry in this episode? SO much better than a generic “aAAAH!”. Granted they reused the same clip over and over, but it still sounded legitimately fierce.

But overall, while I AM a little tired of Ash rarely getting any episodes to himself without Goh needing to be reminded that he’s special, this particular episode was a good step in giving Goh a challenge which he’s been long overdue for. Hopefully this means less mass-catching montages and more “you have to weaken it before you can catch it” and NOT through raid battles where Ash carries the battle.

Next time….ooh. There’s something about seeing Grookey and Eevee digging through Chansey’s pouch that feels….painful.

Morax

King of heroes
The earlier project mew trailer, the very first one we got. Tsurugi says something along the lines of Goh is disqualified which people took to mean he's saying he's not worthy or something but now we know what he actually meant
Yeah, apparently you need a token of qualification to participate in project mew. Ash and Gou probably failed the test?

nuzamaki90

Man oh man I’m so happy haha this episode was great. No doubt one of my favorites so far! This episode had everything I wanted and more

First off, I love Professor Oak and how cordial he is with Ash and his friends. That’s another reason why I like Sakuragi so much, because they honestly feel like part of the group. I wasn’t expecting Suicune to be brought up again honestly but it was nice seeing Oak hype Goh up, even though Goh forgot to mention that it dipped out on him lol! Oh and Tracey is still a thing! Guess his VA is just too expensive to hang out with the crew at this point haha

Now the appetizers, Ash’s old Pokémon which was a treat. Even though we didn’t see all of them, especially my boy Sceptile, we at least got Muk who’s also a favorite of mine. I’m positive we’ll see the rest of them later down the line, especially the Sinnoh team. I’ll be honest though, I was expecting a more..excited reaction from Goh when he saw all of Ash’s Pokémon especially the big ones or the starters.

Finally the Chad lad himself, Gary! So many flashbacks, so much nostalgia, and Gary still being his snarky but cool self. I loved every second of it. I really appreciate how far his and Ash’s relationship has come. Of course they’re both still 10, yet his Gym Leader design makes him look way older than either Ash and Goh. Regardless, his battle skills weren’t nerfed and his chemistry with Ash on the field is still the best.

And while it was great to see Infernape and PAUL, who looks great in this art style might I add, I wish it got to do more against Moltres. Pikachu and Electivire taking it out was awesome, but it was honestly Infernape’s battle although seeming him in action again was so satisfying. Infernape telling all the Fire types about his experience was also hilarious. Hope to see more of him in the future, maybe against Volkner ;)

All in all, absolutely great episode. I really do hope we get to see Gary and Ash’s old Pokémon again in the future. The writers definitely went out of the park with Gary and Iris’ episodes.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
So nobody is gonna talk about how ash roasted himself when goh said that he was kept waiting by a kid when they were 6 years old during oak's pokemon camp.