• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
goh didn't seem very happy about the project mew news at first, I'm guessing because he wants Mew to himself?

judging from what's being said though it sounds alot more complicated than originally first thought, if you have to do something to get involved.

I am hoping that the fact he is in hyperclass in PWC or that he one over a champion should be enough. But if its a "trial" we are talking about then, maybe we'll see him take on the IoA.

the thing is Ash is clearly with Goh when they go on the project mew expedition at least at first before this "disqualification" business, so unless the upcoming episode doesn't "Truly" start the project, then either Ash is going to have something said to validate his entry into the project, or he'll be joining as a partner to Goh.

i'm hoping it's the former, because if Ash is going to be involved in this, I want him to actually be helping with it to an equal capacity, not just there to help Goh the whole time.

I'm not surprised at all seeing Blastoise get beaten again, last time Gary used that thing on screen one of Hunter J's grunts Golbat's knocked it around with ease, clearly showing he's still rusty from not being a full time trainer.

You know the continuity this series almost feels like a double edged sword so far, as the writers do it, but they don't do it well enough.

nuzamaki90

This sentiment utterly baffles me and seeing it multiple times in this thread more so.

The reserves returning for cameos WAS the big hook/gimmick of the episode, you know...those Pokémon we haven't seen in the flesh for nearly a decade? I thought that was pretty obvious. It was meant to be a fun Nostalgic episode with a lot of call backs and flashbacks and cameos and that's what we got. Then not foreshadowing the PWC is inconsequential because it doesn't deconfirm the possibility plus I would much rather focus on his Journeys team since everyobe complains CONSTANTLY about them not getting focus so why throw reserves into the mix on top of it?

Honestly really feels like some of you hate watch the show just to enjoy complaining about it at this point.
Infernape’s whole thing was fighting all the Fire-types to get stronger, which is why it sought out Moltres. That’s reason enough to believe Ash may use his old Pokémon because clearly they still have that drive to be the best.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Infernape’s whole thing was fighting all the Fire-types to get stronger, which is why it sought out Moltres. That’s reason enough to believe Ash may use his old Pokémon because clearly they still have that drive to be the best.
That's all of Ash's Pokémon. I don't think any of them sit around and get fat and lazy and will rise to the occasion whenever called upon without missing a beat. So while Ash MAY use his old Pokémon I certainly am not holding my breath nor is the possibility really all the condusive to my personal enjoyment of this episode since it doesn't really matter

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
E2d5DMQVcAI_uWz
E2d4cuOUUAADZtM
E2d4of-QVIAcz-L92.jpg
E2d3_pZUYAAB2en
Haven’t even watched the episode yet but these references give me so much nostalgia. Ash, Paul, Infernape, Electivire, and their rivalry were the most hype part of my childhood so seeing all this referenced again after a decade feels so good. This is easily top 5 episodes of the entire anime for me.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
THEY FORGOT TORKOAL

who i wish to this day had never been captured, but that's a trigger button for me so i'm not going any further with it.

I am truly wondering now how Ash is going to be involved in this project, cause right now as much as I don't like it, I only see him going as a "partner" to Goh at the moment, because yes he's done alot of stuff, and has pokemon to prove his worth, but will it be brought up before the start of the project? I'm doubtful.

Then again Goh might barely get in as well, since it looks like Gary obtaining Moltres feather was what got him in.

Maybe Oak and Cerise give them recommendation? there's too many questions.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
This episode was a mixed bag imo.

First the good points.

Definitely how they did a great job with gary. He definitely stole the shown and was the most meaningful part from the ep. It was great that his dynamic with ash was shown off while also showing bits of his past with ash and also even his current goal. Him getting to show off two of his best known pokemon is also a plus.

The other continuity nods were pretty nice. Though i have to admit, i‘m not the type to be super excited about a few second nods. So i‘m not blown away by them or anything, but it was appreciated

Now for the not so good.

Well the reserves were there for about a few seconds like the alolamons. To be expected i guess, but i didn‘t expect it would be just the one we saw pretty much and the other mons to be missing. Though honestly the more suprising thing was how inconsequential infernape felt. As much hype there was for infernape it actually didn‘t really do much before gary stole the show really. It kinda looked a bit pitiful tbh. I guess was singled out more as an excuse to do some DP flashbacks more than anything else more meaningful.

Honestly i‘m starting to not really like how inconsistent goh feels. He was fine before and even took the lead when they were exploring for mewtwo, but now it seems like he could barely keep up with the other two. He was able to beat down zapdos alone before and fought on even grounds with ash againts eternatus and mewtwo, but now he has to get bailed out by the other two. Why does it feel like they’re trying to paint him as ‘inferior’ this far in when they haven’t done so before? I do like that they seem to be setting up something more for him and have gary egg him on, but the writing has really been all over the place with him.

But with something that is goh‘s equivalent to the PWC being set up, i‘m starting to question ash‘s role even more. Assuming goh has to do a trial to get a token as well, having ash there to be his assistant/lackey/whatever feels kinda odd. I kinda feel like they‘re trying to make them equals by giving goh a more concrete progression indicator, but end up making it actually feel uneven? Like ash is pretty much doing the PWC on his own, but also has to help out with goh? It‘s just kinda weird, especially after goh‘s whole speech in alola about them pursuing their own goals.

Overall i do think this ep ended being a goh progression episode mainly, with a side of ash nostalgia.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Like ash is pretty much doing the PWC on his own, but also has to help out with goh? It‘s just kinda weird, especially after goh‘s whole speech in alola about them pursuing their own goals.

all it does is reaffirm to me that Goh is a hypocrite by his own logic.

There's also the fact he didn't seem to thrilled about the project to begin with, likely because he wants to be the one to capture mew as it's his personal goal, but now a project he knew nothing about is being formed to look for Mew, that could take his chance of getting it away.

Hopefully this will lead to him realizing that yes it's ok for people to help each other out, because his personality from when this series started was more of a close minded one which goes against Ash's open minded one. It's been getting better over time, albeit at a slow pace, but there are still moments where you can see it, hopefully this project Mew really breaks him out even more from that close minded thinking, and maybe he'll start helping Ash with his training, who knows though.

Either way i'm curious to see how Ash and Goh get into this project now.

DeltaGod770

I wish I could say this was a good episode but sadly it was a narrative mess from start to finish.

Ash's lab Pokemon had like 30 seconds at most of screentime and that wasn't even half of them. Poor Infernape got shafted hard in this episode. Not only did it not contribute much to the battle, but the writers couldn't even be consistent with its moveset. It should know Flare Blitz but that was clear as day the Flame Wheel attack animation.

Then there's underlying aspect of Goh's insecurities rearing their ugly head again. Hopefully his new rivals in Project Mew knock this out of him because I'm so over seeing this side of him anytime one of Ash's past companions returns and remotely challenges his way of thinking. God forbid Paul ever comes back. He'd have Goh crying in a corner before an episode's halfway point.

As my one positive though, Gary was leagues and bounds the best aspect of this episode. Charismatic as ever and his commanding of Blastoise was great it overshadowed everyone else in the Moltres battle easily. Also neat that he has a Corviknight now too. It suits him.

All in all, while I still enjoyed the episode, it was sadly nowhere near as impactful as it was hyped up to be. I hope Infernape and Ash's other Pokemon get another chance in the future to properly shine in the PWC, but I'm not holding my breath. These writers have set up so many expectations from fans that I fear won't be paid off in a satisfying manner. Sigh....and I was really looking forward to this episode too. Oh well.... 6.5/10

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
It’s funny that charizard (for obvious reasons) and quilava can spar infernape in single battles, but pignite and talonflame need tag team to do it. Really wish it incineroar was there.

Infernape defeated Charizard? Your reign of terror is over @LIZARD.
Sparring isn’t defeat.

Anyway, the episode gain points for make oshawott mute.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Then there's underlying aspect of Goh's insecurities rearing their ugly head again. Hopefully his new rivals in Project Mew knock this out of him because I'm so over seeing this side of him anytime one of Ash's past companions returns and remotely challenges his way of thinking. God forbid Paul ever comes back. He'd have Goh crying in a corner before an episode's halfway point.
Yes that pesky overbearing trait that has appeared *checks notes* twice. And spread nearly a year apart. They really love hammering us over the head with it to be sure

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
ALSO IM SO HAPPY INFERNAPE AND CHARIZARD BEING RIVALS IS CANON, along with pignite quilava and Talonflame of course. Poor Torkoal
I don't think that's the case.
Infernape only fought Charizard and the rest of Ash's Fire type (bar Torkoal), because it wanted to train against fighting a Fire-type, so that it could challenge the strong Fire-type (aka., Moltres) which it could sense nearby.
That's doesn't prove that Infernape & Charizard are rival, since training battles between Ash's own pokemon is common.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I don't think that's the case.
Infernape only fought Charizard and the rest of Ash's Fire type (bar Torkoal), because it wanted to train against fighting a Fire-type, so that it could challenge the strong Fire-type (aka., Moltres) which it could sense nearby.
That's doesn't prove that Infernape & Charizard are rival, since training battles between Ash's own pokemon is common.
The fact he chose them to spar with and he was talking to them after battling moltres seems to prove to me they do have a friendship/rivalry going on. Why did they all ghost poor torkoal though lmao

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The biggest plot twist of this episode is that Tracey's existence was acknowledged.
Did they give some random excuse as to where’s he’s been all these years? Like what Boy Meets World did when the main group were graduating high school and Cory and Shawn see Minkus after four years and they ask where’s he’s been and Minkus points off screen and says the other half of the school and the other two boys state that they’ve never been on that side of the school before?