• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
>character depicts more than one personality trait
>oh no he's all over the place, so inconsistent

Holy ****. You people have been among other human beings, right? We display multiple characteristics in different situations. Goh can act arrogant, and he can be awkward too in some cases, what is wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong in displaying multiple character traits, the problem is Goh's Character itself is wildly contradictory and inconsistent which are purposefully and coincidentally made like that to suit any situation he is in and for whatever the writing calls him for. For Example,

He is a Competent Battler in Episode 36
He beats the Karate King in his first single battle to get a Hitmonchan (which even worst happens offscreen)

...Oh wait he was proven to be a total sucker in Battle less than 20 Episodes ago (Episode 7) and suddenly he is the one teaching 7-Region Vet Satoshi in Episode 36, really? Do you really not see the problem with this? This is a total spit on the legacy of what the Anime has stood for 20+ Years, I hold it has a personal disrespect to all the viewers. We had characters who traveled, bonded, battled and met with Trainers & Pokemon and worked so hard. Recently I was watching Dawn-Focused Episodes such as DP049 and DP061 where she doesn't pass the First Round Twice and goes into depression, it is like a stick in the gut which is executed so well that it even makes you feel bad for her. Does this Series have any balls to do anything like that with Gou? I don't think so.

Absolutely no other character has been treated in that way with the possible exception of Alain. I'd like to see Goh & Alain have a Battle, the writers will literally break their heads writing a battle like that.

Today the Writers referenced Diamond & Pearl and I am thankful for that but maybe if they had rewatched a few episodes of that Saga, they'd have learned something substantially from it, they still have time.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Oh yeah I also forgot: Tracey. I’m actually glad that he was mentioned! I know he’s probably the least popular main character but I always liked him so I’m glad he at least got some attention as iirc his last mention was BW. Hopefully he shows up soon because he’s still one of Ash’s friends and companions too

RafaSceptile

Oh yeah I also forgot: Tracey. I’m actually glad that he was mentioned! I know he’s probably the least popular main character but I always liked him so I’m glad he at least got some attention as iirc his last mention was BW. Hopefully he shows up soon because he’s still one of Ash’s friends and companions too
Second least popular main character*, I think Max is the least popular one...unless I'm forgeting something that I'm not considering

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Second least popular main character*, I think Max is the least popular one...unless I'm forgeting something that I'm not considering
Going to be completely honest: I forgot Max existed. Say what you want about Tracey and Mallow but at least they had Pokémon. All I remember about Max was Ralts, Jirachi, and crying about Ash beating his dad.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Tracey not being around every time Ash goes to Oak's labs feels like he's Oak's slave while Okido Hakase can chill down and even travel everywhere he wants to maximum KEK
The most mistreated companion.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Project Mew looking like Pokémon Go even more.

Willow when?

Also, anyone who went in with expectations of any kind set themselves to be worked up into a fizz.

Also, some Pokémon were not shown due to VA issues.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
The Good
  • Like Kiawe, Gary is giving Go a hard time. I think it was handled better here. This is kind of what I wanted to see with Go and Iris: two twerps clashing.
  • PAUL CAMEO
  • I like when they highlight the difference in skill between Ash and Go; Go is much more analytical and strategic, but he isn't as physically adept or confident.
  • The valley was so freaking pretty.
  • I always just dismissed Moltres because it was ugly and bad, but this episode made it look really cool. Really loving the raid battle aspect of the series, and how tough they make legendries seem.
  • The visuals were great, and I liked some of the strategies implemented here.
  • Aww, Gary and Ash stepped in to protect Cinderace.
  • Gary is part of Project Mew. I figured he would be. It'd be cool to see him act as Go's rival, as well as Ash's. Especially if they keep up the dynamic the three shared in this episode. I just hope the rivalry doesn't overshadow Ash and Gary's.
  • I remember, a few months ago, people were worried that Gary would abandon his research. But no, his work here feels like a natural expansion to his work. Just like Ash, he's stepping up his goal-game.

The Bad
  • Honestly, they could have just skipped the cliff stuff by flying on Dragonite or Aerodactyl. I just don't get how this show keeps ignoring Pokemon when they could be useful in situations. It's more obvious here because a lot of Ash's Pokemon are neglected, but I feel like it's been a consistent problem for decades.
  • Considering we just had an episode about Pokemon having the power to make flowers bloom, Gary's assumption is a little flawed. But I'll trust his "other research," especially since he was right about the fire monkey.
  • Why was Moltres visiting this area, anyway? It was once a volcanic area, but it isn't anymore. The first PokeDex quote was about it healing in magma, but that wasn't relevant.
  • Wow, Infernape. You specifically focused on battling Fire types, but you didn't develop any moves or strategies to counter them. I get not wanting an unfair advantage, but still. Like the only SE move it had was Dig, and it was going up against a Fire/Flying type.
  • The visuals for this fight were great, especially Burn Up. But for all that style and power, it barely did any damage to the field, nor Blastoise.
  • Moltes just kind of got hurt and left. That sure was anti-climactic.
  • Go forgot to press record. Why? It's not like having this footage would be game-changing, anyway. And it highlights my problem with the Rotom Dexes; they're just regular PokeDexes, but with faces. You'd figure it would take the initiative and make sure it was recording.

The Rest:
  • Project Mew's set-up and mechanics seem pretty interesting. But it feels kind of weird to introduce this 68 episodes into the series. I know it's not a big thing, and this series could be going for a lot longer than usual, but I gotta wonder.
  • I really hope it's not going to be like that stupid Ultra Guardians garbage.
  • I hope Gary's competing in the PWC too. I don't want him to be around just to be Go's rival.

Tracey not being around every time Ash goes to Oak's labs feels like he's Oak's slave while Okido Hakase can chill down and even travel everywhere he wants to maximum KEK
The most mistreated companion.
Hey, at least he reached his goal in life. That puts him ahead of everyone else. Poor Max can never achieve his simple goal of becoming a Trainer.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
...Oh wait he was proven to be a total sucker in Battle less than 20 Episodes ago (Episode 7) and suddenly he is the one teaching 7-Region Vet Satoshi in Episode 36, really? Do you really not see the problem with this?
You're missing the entire context of that episode. Ash was falling behind because he went through a losing streak and was in a funk. He was in a bad place and he wasn't up to his usual self. Go inspired him by fighting creatively, to show how Ash inspired him.

There's also a 29 episode difference between the Battle Frontier ep (which was Go's first official battle) and the Flygon episode. Go clearly improved since then.

Recently I was watching Dawn-Focused Episodes such as DP049 and DP061 where she doesn't pass the First Round Twice and goes into depression, it is like a stick in the gut which is executed so well that it even makes you feel bad for her. Does this Series have any balls to do anything like that with Gou? I don't think so.
Go's goal isn't like Dawn's; it can't give him major setbacks because there's no competitive aspect to it. Instead, they've been setting up his own issues, mostly about his past. I'm sure you don't agree, but I think they've been handling his backstory and arc really well, and they're still building up to it.

Absolutely no other character has been treated in that way with the possible exception of Alain. I'd like to see Goh & Alain have a Battle, the writers will literally break their heads writing a battle like that.
Go has improved a lot since he began, but he's not amazing. Even in today's episode, he didn't shine in battle, and the other two trainers saved him. Also, unrelated, but I think Alain was handled well for a rival. And he deserved the Kalos victory way more than Ash.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

It’s funny.

Ash asks Gary why he isn’t in Sinnoh anymore, and Gary reminds him that he’s just as much of a regional traveler as Ash is. And then Gary reveals his goal is basically Go’s except instead of simply catching all Pokémon, he’s researching them. It’s realistically what Go’s goal should’ve been and makes all the more sense. Gary doesn’t even care if he doesn’t catch the Pokémon, he just wants to experience their presence and analyze their ecology and biology.

Really makes you think why they didn’t just have Journeys be about Ash and Gary instead of Ash and Go.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Please go take a creative writing course
Please like a better character. It's really not that hard.
taking it you don't like this series all that much?
I don't think many (in this forum at least) do either. And the ones who do tend to write off all the negatives somehow to make everything look better. Desperately.

And if someone actually dislikes Goh, that's apparently a sin... Gohsus? (That, sadly, doesn't sound that Sirfetch'd.)
You do know that repeating the same stuff over and over does not make it come true, right? LMAO. Sorry.
I have absolutely no clue what you mean by that?
It’s funny.

Ash asks Gary why he isn’t in Sinnoh anymore, and Gary reminds him that he’s just as much of a regional traveler as Ash is. And then Gary reveals his goal is basically Go’s except instead of simply catching all Pokémon, he’s researching them. It’s realistically what Go’s goal should’ve been, and makes all the more sense. Gary doesn’t even care if he doesn’t catch the Pokémon, he just wants to experience their presence and analyze their ecology and biology.
Sooo he's taking over Prof. Birch's child's field of study.

It would be great to see certain interactions between Tracey's Old Scyther and Goh's Scizor, let's remember that in his youth he was a proud warrior, so advice from a wise old man like Scyther would help the development of Goh and his Scizor.. It would also be a great preparation for Project Mew

CupidKirby

I'm going to type up what I think before reading anyone else's opinion just to get my raw thoughts out there.

First of all: FINALLY. It's so nice to see Goh's dream getting more complex and interesting. I think it's the right move to introduce an entire team of people with the same goal as him all working and competing together. We might meet more recurring "rivals" for Goh and it's pretty much confirmed that Gary will be returning for sure. We also see Goh's "I can't work in teams" character flaw returning after he's been all LET'S GOOOO recently and it feels like that entire trait of his from the beginning was erased. The problem is that they introduced it way too late and Goh was basically just running around throwing balls at everything for 60 episodes. Better late than never I suppose. I hope that we'll learn more about Project Mew as time goes on and actually see Goh do something different.

I'm happy to see all of Ash's Pokemon in Oak's lab but I mean... it was kind of totally unneccessary. If they cut out that entire part and instead just had Ash and Goh meet Gary to catch Moltres then possibly run into Infernape there, I feel like this episode would've been way less rushed. Infernape would've gotten a full battle with Moltres (and it's sad to see how much the animation has dropped when we compare the derpy still shots in this battle versus the Talonflame versus Moltres fight from XY. At least we're not getting the "action line" backgrounds from Black/White and prior). Gary would've had more time to interact with Ash without Goh there. We could've also learned way more about Project Mew.

I can already imagine that everyone is mad that Goh "stole" Ash's rival or something. He really didn't. Gary stopped being Ash's rival a long time ago and he's the one who provoked Goh. Ash and Gary are really close childhood friends now which is why I wished this episode had more time to actually show Ash and Gary's bond. Either way, the whole Ash-Gary-Goh dynamic is interesting and I hope it's addressed in the future as it seems like Gary might actually be the next person Goh might consider a friend who isn't Ash or Chloe. I look forward to any future character development between the three.

Also: PAUL TEASE. I'll take 20 pls. Bonus if Tobias returns just for Ash to kick his butt this time.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
LOOL. NO, DEFINITELY NOT.

Goh is more analytical but Ash is a strategist by nature, we know it since Kanto.
Actually, Go does have some strategic skill, as well. The most obvious example on-hand would be the eating contest episode, which showed him forming multiple strategies to get ahead in the contest. He has analyzed his Pokemon's natural abilities and made strategies around them. His strategies aren't strictly battle-related, and they're less impressive than Ash's battle strategies, but he knows how to analyze and apply things.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Palletshipping is alive and well in 2021 and that’s the most important takeaway from this episode.

On a serious note though, this was a fun episode. I forgot how much I missed Gary’s “Saaatoshi-kun” until he actually spoke; he brings a very fun presence to the show and I’m already liking his dynamic and future rivalry (?) with Go. Gary being all smug and rude towards him was funny; funnier still that Ash didn’t really care. Seeing him reunite with Ash after all these years was really great to watch. The continuity was also really great; both flashbacks (Paul!) and Gary remembering Infernape made me smile so wide. Ash seeing his Pokémon again was also pretty cute, especially Muk and Infernape just mauling him lmao.

The one thing I didn’t like was Infernape not really doing anything. There was a clear focus on him wanting to get stronger by fighting Moltres and then....Gary just does all the heavy lifting? Which is fine to an extent, since we haven’t seen him in so long. But stealing Infernape’s shine also kind of annoyed me. Whatever.

All in all this episode did a good job of delivering on the nostalgia front while setting up interesting plotlines for the future. Project Mew was introduced pretty nicely here and I’m excited to see how this rivalry of sorts between Go and Gary develops, if it even does.

ViperQueen

RAWR!!!
Go saying that he prefers to work alone was kind of a slap in Ash's face lol *rude xD

I cant wait until Go stops catching them all and starts researching them all

...tsk tsk Goh couldnt protect himself? Pikachu and Electavire had to intervene...

Loved Gary picking on Go though

Ash and Gary doing that handshake/grasp was so coooool ^^