• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

Rune Knight

gvuxYdQ.png

I like this shot. Seriously, Journeys' core episodes are so good in my opinion. Ash's character development is pretty much done and now it's purely goal oriented for him. Meanwhile, it goes both ways for Goh, he gets to travel alongside and learn from one of the most iconic characters in history and grow out of his shell. It pretty much is a Journey for both of them.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Something else that I forgot to mention is I loved the parallels between Ash & Gary. They both keep traveling around the world to see more Pokémon & for studying/battling. Gary shows off his experience as a researcher and former trainer well when deducing where Moltres is and when he battles it. Ash is the inverse in that his goal is more battle oriented but still embracing the fact that he’s a research fellow now. They’re both still quick thinkers and still tease each other. It probably wasn’t intended but Gary got a Fire/Flying Legendary’s feather just like Ash too.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Goh trying to capture Pokemon when he and Ash were looking for the Missing Infernape was annoying. He could have at least prioritized the search but no he needed to throw Pokeballs to catch more Pokemon.

Journeys should have been Ash/Gary instead of Ash/Gou. It would have worked much better.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Okay I just rewatched this episode and what do people mean when they say it isnt aesthetically impressive lmao?
The animation was great as well. Now having a problem with the battle choreography I can understand
But the animation and artstyle this episode was stellar, esp when Moltres used Burn Up. Journeys has had problems with battles but this episode has no problem with animation at all!

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Okay I just rewatched this episode and what do people mean when they say it isnt aesthetically impressive lmao?
The animation was great as well. Now having a problem with the battle choreography I can understand
But the animation and artstyle this episode was stellar, esp when Moltres used Burn Up. Journeys has had problems with battles but this episode has no problem with animation at all!
I think they mean it was underwhelming when you compare it to XY's Moltres Episode.

Rune Knight

He's still 10. There's a lot he has yet to experience.
10 on the outside, with 24 years of development. It's not a question of his age, or that he doesn't age. He's pretty much like Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse at this point. We (the audience) know him so well that there isn't much else to add.

Even if there was a 20 year timeskip, Ash would pretty much still have the same personality that he has right now, except with more maturity but that comes with age.

I think that this version of Ash specifically is a compilation of all of the Ash's that we have seen. Some would argue that he is somewhere between SM and XY Ash, but I guess that's up to interpretation.

Morax

King of heroes
10 on the outside, with 24 years of development. It's not a question of his age, or that he doesn't age. He's pretty much like Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse at this point. We (the audience) know him so well that there isn't much else to add.

Even if there was a 20 year timeskip, Ash would pretty much still have the same personality that he has right now, except with more maturity but that comes with age.

I think that this version of Ash specifically is a compilation of all of the Ash's that we have seen. Some would argue that he is somewhere between SM and XY Ash, but I guess that's up to interpretation.
Yeah his personality won't change with a timeskip, that's shounen for you.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
There is no way this is a compilation of all Ashes, if it is then it is a bad one. If it was, he would still have that hot-headed personality that he had from OS-DP until BW suddenly snapped him out of that. If you watch AG/DP and then this Series, it is like a Day and Night Difference in his personalities. He gets along way too easy with Goh. OS-DP Ash would have been pissed.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I think they mean it was underwhelming when you compare it to XY's Moltres Episode.
Comparisons aside it still doesnt mean this episode didnt have good animation
There is no way this is a compilation of all Ashes, if it is then it is a bad one. If it was, he would still have that hot-headed personality that he had from OS-DP until BW suddenly snapped him out of that. If you watch AG/DP and then this Series, it is like a Day and Night Difference in his personalities. He gets along way too easy with Goh. OS-DP Ash would have been pissed.
People mature you know.... wouldnt make sense for him to have a hot headed personality after everything he went through, even the directors touched on it explaining that after winning the league Ash is much more relaxed when it comes to his goal now, which makes perfect sense to me

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
All roads link back to Sinnoh-Unova transition salt.

Again, and again.

Eventually people gotta let Ash losing to Tobias and Snivy go.
I can understand why, Ash was a well written and consistent character until DP. He lost that consistency and became an out of character rookie in BW, more serious and plain in XY and more childish and silly in SM. Id say Journeys has brought a nice balance but they have been handling him horribly so...yea

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
  1. He didn't really beat down Zapdos. Zapdos completely commanded the fight, only got hit by two two moves, and was only knocked out of the sky. It still broke free from capture, was full of energy and sharing it with the Electric types, and it was easily able to get away while Raboot and Flygon were too exhausted to continue.
  2. Mewtwo played defense for most of the battle and brushed all the other Pokemon aside. None of their attacks affected him. Then he wiped them all out with one move. Of course Ash and Go would be on even ground - they just spent the fight attacking while Mewtwo went easy on them.
  3. Eternatus is the same thing; they just lobbed a couple of attacks at it. The legendary dogs did the heavy lifting here while the boys sat back.
I wasn’t really talking about power levels when i said that. In all of those he was made to look competent enough to be able to fight by himself or along side ash. But here he missed one attack and the moment and attack was coming to cinderace gary and ash both finished it off to ‘protect’ them, even though each had let the other fought one on one until they were down one pokemon. The narrative of the entire episode was overly babying him when it hasn’t done so in the past.
We don't get a lot of episodes abut Go lagging behind because a) it would be annoying, and b) Go isn't prone to crazy activity beyond running. But there are episodes that show Go is less athletically inclined than Ash. In episode 3, he struggled to climb a fence and climb a building. In episode 37, he was stunned after falling off a cliff and was rescued by Lana when he fell into the sea. In episode 56, we saw him struggling to run in his armor, while Ash was just fine. In episode 46, he freaked out while walking the String Shot rope and fell off, needing Ash to save him. In episode 63, he couldn't keep up with Ash and Chloe while swimming, and while he matched with Ash later on, they stopped early because they both assumed they won, and then left the race early to help Dewgong. He also completely failed at surfing, while Ash had no problem.
I think anyone would be stunned falling from a cliff. He didn’t really seem struggling to me in the armor, and didn’t look to have any tougher time than ash when magnitized. He was behind ash sure, but that’s probably more because animating them running side by side wouldn’t look as good since they’ll overlap from the side. He fell off the string shot because he was being attacked by kingler so i don’t think that was really a good indicator. The fact that he kept up and head to head with ash during the actual race i feel actually says a lot more compared to him being behind them during practice.

Fair enough point with episode 3 and climbing buildings though.

Rune Knight

But he does get hot-headed, albeit a lot less but that's just a result of the mix.

But yeah, the mix of every Ash is just my interpretation. I see a lot of people say that he's somewhere between XY and SM. It's just seeing the character from different lenses.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Thats what happens when you reset a character and ruin all the progression they've had before then. It feels like every series since BW they've been throwing darts onto a dartboard to randomly choose what his personality and characterization will be like for the next series.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
But he does get hot-headed, albeit a lot less but that's just a result of the mix.

But yeah, the mix of every Ash is just my interpretation. I see a lot of people say that he's somewhere between XY and SM. It's just seeing the character from different lenses.
I personally prefer a hot-headed Ash. I liked seeing him aggressive and feisty (which why I loved Hoenn Ash). In his arguments with Misty, May & Dawn, The thing is when they or he started it, he countered back literally savagely ("The Bicker The Better"). While he did argue with Iris in BW (arguably the most aggressive PokeGirl), he never really countered back savagely, he was weak, it felt like he had lost his ego and pride.