• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rivals for Goh?! The Road to Mew!! (1157)

Decidueye23

Lets not compare apples to oranges. Besides its Ash. He just said he ll cheer on Gary and Goh. Like he cheered on for May and Dawn. Iris and Dawn.
Except he never mentioned that Ash cares more about Gary than Serena, he mentioned that Ash and Gary have a closer mutual relationship as friends than Ash and Serena as a couple, which is blatantly true since Ash never showed any kind of romantic interest for her.
He did reciprocate the kiss. So i am not sure if he wasnt interested. Again. Its Ash. Probably would have said didnt you know i ve alwags like you or something XD

Morax

King of heroes
Lets not compare apples to oranges. Besides its Ash. He just said he ll cheer on Gary and Goh. Like he cheered on for May and Dawn. Iris and Dawn
The difference is his gentleman-y behaviour was at it's peak with serena. He's a nice guy to everyone, but he was super nice towards serena calling her beautiful, being touchy-feely with her and all. Like i said if you try to describe relationships using buzzwords then those subtle nuances and changes in behaviour and the blatant favouritism get overlooked. It's about how he acts around everyone vs how he acts around serena that makes the difference here.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Dang is it going to be mad day every time a former character comes back?

Last edited:

UglyToast

Not to get too off topic but I'm pretty sure Goh would be an Amourshipper if he ever meets Serena

With that said, he'd also probably be envious that a girl likes Ash while blissfully unaware that Chloe is sulking in a corner lmao
you know what they say "Frozen Pizza is the best, not the one ingredients fresh, just tell the customer they are!"

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Such a shame the Team Rocket TRio never got to see Infernape again. They loved it back in Sinnoh and were cheering for it during the Tag Battle Tournament and the Sinnoh League. They liked seeing how hard working it was and it was (partly) responsible for their revenue success in Sinnoh as it inspired them. If there is an episode that Team Rocket should be in, it should have been in this one. Another thing which this current series has ruined is undoubtedly Team Rocket along with a bunch of other things.

Jers745

I dont know :p
Such a shame the Team Rocket TRio never got to see Infernape again. They loved it back in Sinnoh and were cheering for it during the Tag Battle Tournament and the Sinnoh League. They liked seeing how hard working it was and it was (partly) responsible for their revenue success in Sinnoh as it inspired them. If there is an episode that Team Rocket should be in, it should have been in this one. Another thing which this current series has ruined is undoubtedly Team Rocket along with a bunch of other things.
I think the whole point of the episode was to show off gary's abilities and demostrate goh that he is still weak. And ash mons were there only for propaganda

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Back when Ash first returned to Oaks lab Oak pointed out that Gary had caught more then 200 Pokemon. Gary then continued his travels into Johto after that, so he will have kept on capturing more Pokemon (even after his loss to Ash and deciding to become a professor he still showed up with an Electrivire after Hoen, so he didn't stop capturing/evolving). During the argument between them It was revealed that whenever they encounter Pokemon Ash whips out his dex first while Gary caught it first and then got out his dex (which is why Ash only had 37 captures but more dex entries) and they also argued that Ash believed in befriending Pokemon first while Gary argues that having a lot of Pokemon is the key to success. So at least until becoming a professor Gary thought he had to capture as many Pokemon as possible (so it stands to reason he caught a lot more then 200 by now since that was 6 regions ago).

So in terms of quantity he has several times more Pokemon then Goh (who's at 79 now) just by going by those 200 back in Kanto. Also as seen here both Ash and Gary's Pokemon went toe to toe with Moltress while Cinderace needed protection, so the gap in strength is also huge.
We also don't know what Gary's other 2 already accomplished tasks were or what he did to be allowed to attempt them. His third task was getting a Moltress feather after all and Goh having a Suicune in his dex meant he had a right to try the tasks so it is quite possible Gary has beaten or even captured legendaries at this point.

As for Goh, he didn't "catch a Legendary", he poached a pathetically weak one away from a group of poachers that had already beaten it and he didn't save an entire region, he basically provided support to Ash, Zacian & Zamazenta while they did most of the work and then he and Ash threw the ball together (meaning they both caught it). Even in this episode Goh is basically tagging along and his Cinderace needs saving. Its not about "if he works harder" its about if the writers stop giving him easy freebies and start making him actually have to work for his captures (this episode showed why a Legendary is considered a Legendary and why both Suicune and Zapdos were absolute jokes by comparison). Heck, he met Gary by needing to be saved after failing 2 captures in a row since just chucking a ball at everything while its at full health shouldn't work, so its no wonder he literally acknowledged Gary beat him at the end of the episode

So yes, Gary is leagues better then Goh, he has captured more Pokemon (by a significant margin with 200+ vs 79), shown to be a much stronger trainer and has already completed the 3 missions (which are clearly linked to Legendaries) Goh has now accepted to also attempt.
Hmm, yeah. Gary beats Goh for seniority(?) alone.

Except why did Goh say he had to get better than Gary in this episode? Did Goh find out about Gary's previous achievements or something?

LucasMV

This episode was probably the best in terms of continuity we've had since the AG days. I think it could've been better, but I'm satisfied with it regardless.

The good parts:

-Continuity! Tracey being mentioned, Ash's reserves, Gary, flashbacks to Johto League and Sinnoh League. Paul's flashback!

-Gary being mature and friendly with Ash, while being a bit of a jerk towards Go was great.

-The bit with Gary's Blastoise against Moltres really showed Gary is still a great trainer.

-Moltres actually looked legendary, unlike Zapdos back when Raboot almost took him down.

The bad parts:

-We only got to see half of Ash's reserves, and even those that appeared didn't do much. Kinda expecting a bit more there.

-Ash's Infernape battle with Moltres was pretty underwhelming. I thought it was gonna activate Blaze or something, but it was pretty meh. Infernape didn't even continue fighting after that Air Slash even though he clearly wanted to.

The neutral part:

-Gary becoming Go's rival. While I don't know how I feel about Ash's rival becoming Go's, this also means Gary will show up again in the future. And that's freaking awesome. Besides, it didn't really make sense for Gary to be Ash's rival again, since he's a researcher now after all.

Overall pretty good episode, great continuity, but wasted potential too.
Hopefully this won't be the last time we see Ash's reserves and they'll actually have a more prominent role in upcoming battles.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Because Gary outclassed him in utterly every way this episode.....
Are you kidding me?
I'm kinda shocked people here just skim episodes (or maybe even just look at screenshots, who knows, lmao), and then go ask some ridiculous questions like "omg why was Goh so impressed by Gary?????". Jesus christ at least pay some f-ing attention to what you're watching, if you're actually watching it.

The episode pretty clearly establishes Gary's skills as a Pokemon researcher AND his battling skills when dealing with Moltres. In the former scenario, Gary pointed out some flaws with stuff Goh said as they were searching for Moltres, and in the latter scenario Goh was pretty clearly impressed by Gary and Blastoise during their fight with Moltres. Furthermore, Goh was literally right there when Gary was delivering the exposition about his past and how he has traveled and known Ash for a long time. Goh is a mere junior by comparison, so it's fully understandable that he feels a desire to improve and become better.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode was probably the best in terms of continuity we've had since the AG days. I think it could've been better, but I'm satisfied with it regardless.

The good parts:

-Continuity! Tracey being mentioned, Ash's reserves, Gary, flashbacks to Johto League and Sinnoh League. Paul's flashback!

-Gary being mature and friendly with Ash, while being a bit of a jerk towards Go was great.

-The bit with Gary's Blastoise against Moltres really showed Gary is still a great trainer.

-Moltres actually looked legendary, unlike Zapdos back when Raboot almost took him down.

The bad parts:

-We only got to see half of Ash's reserves, and even those that appeared didn't do much. Kinda expecting a bit more there.

-Ash's Infernape battle with Moltres was pretty underwhelming. I thought it was gonna activate Blaze or something, but it was pretty meh. Infernape didn't even continue fighting after that Air Slash even though he clearly wanted to.

The neutral part:

-Gary becoming Go's rival. While I don't know how I feel about Ash's rival becoming Go's, this also means Gary will show up again in the future. And that's freaking awesome. Besides, it didn't really make sense for Gary to be Ash's rival again, since he's a researcher now after all.

Overall pretty good episode, great continuity, but wasted potential too.
Hopefully this won't be the last time we see Ash's reserves and they'll actually have a more prominent role in upcoming battles.
This is pretty much my opinion of the episode as well.
Its great to see how much Ash and Gary progressed from being almost on bad terms in the beginning of the series to being bff in this series.
This should have been a 2 parter though and I wanted to have more time to see all of Ash's reserves again.

UglyToast

The bad parts:

I agree with you but remember, those were not the main focus of this episode, so I let that battle Infernape had with Moltres slide a little bit.

Jers745

I dont know :p
To everyone who is saying Infernate beat Ash's fire types, did you watch the unsubbed version? Because Oak just said that he battled them. He never said who won.
(Mentioned at 4:08)
Yeah but later they said that infernape wanted to battle someone even stronger, and that makes you think why would he want to fight someone stronger if he couldnt beat charizard