• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RM HeartGold In-game team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venz90

Hi everyone. Just bought HeartGold on EBay for my 3DS, did some research and put together an Ingame team. I don't know much about Items so if anyone can chip in with some pointers that'd be great. I'm aiming to have this team for Battle Frontier.

;197;
Umbreon (Synchronize) @ Leftovers
Impish
-Toxic
-Faint Attack
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
Role: Physical Wall. Mean Look is tempting but I think it's too excessive for ingame. I just can BP Substitute to sweepers for a quick kill then switch back out.

;472;
Gliscor (Poison Heal) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Facade
-Swords Dance
Role: Physical Sweeper. Toxic Orb for healing and 140BP Facade to take out the unwary. STAB Earthquake for Rock-types and X-Scissor for stubborn Psychics. Speed sucks though :(

;121;
Starmie (Natural Cure) @ ???
Timid
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Recover/Psychic??
Role: Special Sweeper. BoltBeam combo (YES i'm aware those moves take eons to get a hold of) + STAB Surf for fast and wide coverage. Maybe bring in Psychic in place of Recover because of Starmie's frail defenses?

;468;
Togekiss (Serene Grace) @ ???
Modest
-Aura Sphere
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Wave
Role: Special Sweeper. All attacking moves have an added effect to go well with Serene Grace. STAB Air Slash for Fighters. Thunder Wave to bring foe sweepers back down to earth... if Togekiss can survive a hit :S.

;149;
Dragonite (Inner Focus) @ ???
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
Role: Physical Sweeper. Buying a Dratini from Goldenrod Game Corner :). Will have to wait a while to get Fire Punch, but STAB Dragon Claw with DD is devastating in the meantime. And Rock Slide for annoying Ice-Types...Again, if he can survive a hit.

;154;
Meganium (Overgrow) @ Leftovers
Calm
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Aromatherapy
-Magical Leaf
Role: Support/Dual Screens. I know I can find a better supporter but you can't have an Ingame team without a starter :p. Dual Screen setup for troublemakers, as well as Aromatherapy. Magical Leaf for additional never-miss coverage.

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
your team is 5/6 boltbeam weak but that's not too big a deal ingame. you may ignroe this comment if you choose to

i don't think gliscors speed is that bad. Just invest in a jolly nature and lots of Spe EV's and you're fine.

I know that starmie is weak (defense and HP wise) but does that mean you should put recover on it?
If starmie is at low HP and you use recover, if its defenses are bad, then the oponents pokemon may still be able to knock starmie out
I would go with psychic

Earthquake > rock slide on dragonite for epic power and coverage

Items can be pretty much anything. Won't matter too too much (unless item is part of your pokemon's strategy. ex: your gliscor)

cool ingame team

Kays

Lati-twins <3
First and foremost, thank you for letting us know the Pokemon's roles. I haven't seen anyone do that yet. Another thing, this team is filled with potential. It can go all out offense, or if in-game, set up an easy Baton Pass Chain. I'll rate this on its competence in the Battle Tower.

1. Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Impish
EV: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp. Def
- Toxic Yawn
- Faint Attack Wish
- Baton Pass
- Substitute Mean Look

Often stated, Umbreon is the one of the best trappers in the game. If you know the opponent's first Pokemon's moves (or even hinted to them), Umbreon can stop them dead. Yawn + Mean Look + Baton Pass traps your opponent and puts it to sleep. This allows your sweeper to come in, power up and start rampaging through. Wish if you need to heal a teammate. Great support all-around. She has no attacking moves, but in the right hands, that is all she needs.

2. LEAD: Gliscor @Leftovers
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP, 252 Speed
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor Rock Polish / Agility
- Facade Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

I agree with Purple_Tangrowth that Gliscor has very decent speed. Agility or Rock Polish to make him faster. Agility + Swords Dance + Baton Pass can be a deadly combination. And both moves help Gliscore go first and hit hard with Earthquake even if you don't plan to Baton Pass. But if you lead with Gliscor, Baton Pass to Umbreon, and Baton Pass to Dragonite, well let's just say that the opponent will have to hope one of Dragonite's attack miss if he/she hopes to make a move. Sure, there are priority moves, but none of which comes close to OHKO Dragonite. And Dragonite has access to Roost! You'll want to lead with Gliscor so you can boost your speed and go first. It really helps Umbreon. Just hope no nasty status effects pop up. If you're okay with having no attacks, replace Earthquake with Substitute.

3. Dragonite @Life Orb / Muscle Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Jolly
EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide Roost / ExtremeSpeed

Dragonite is probably the bulkiest Dragon Pokemon. He'll survive a hit. I've place Dragonite in 3rd place because he goes perfect with Umbreon and Gliscor. Roost if you think that the opponent can hit you or ExtremeSpeed to get in a first hit if you think the opponent has a priority move. After even one Agility + Swords Dance, Dragonite will destroy teams. If you get 2 Swords Dance in, you've most likely sealed the match. Life Orb if you're using the Battle Tower. Muscle Band otherwise.

4. Togekiss @Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 HP, 188 Def, 68 Sp. Def
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball Roost / Fly

Interestingly, Togekiss can work off a decent Baton Pass set as well, but I'll also consider this as an entire team. Fly if you need to fly to places. It's the most useful HM. If you go with Fly, use items to heal Togekiss. Self-explanatory. Thunder Wave to paralyze and cut their speed in half so Togekiss is likely to be faster. Air Slash has 60% chance of flinch. That's 40% that the opponent can do something. Alongside Thunder Wave, 40% goes down to 30%. Aura Sphere for coverage. The EV does not improve Togekiss's speed or Sp. Attack. That's because she needs none. Her secret weapon is her ability to prevent the opponent from doing anything.

5. Starmie @Life Orb / Wise Glasses
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EV: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Recover / Psychic

I disagree with Purple_Tangrowth. Starmie has very decent defenses. Her HP is low, but it's good enough to survive attacks. And with her high speed and power, she can often bring at least one KO under her belt. And there are not many types that resist Water, Electric, and Ice. So Psychic doesn't offer much additional coverage over those three. Same deal with Dragonite on the items.

6. Meganium @Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Calm
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Aromatherapy
- Magical Leaf Leech Seed

Meganium is simply outclassed by many others. Her shallow movepool doesn't give much to work with. As a cleric, Blissey is much better. As dual screens, Bronzong can do it way better. There's nothing much to say. She's not helpful in the Baton Pass section as she doesn't have Baton Pass to chain. Otherwise, Leech Seed would work wonders. I suppose that you can lead with Meganium and set those screens up, followed by Leech Seed. But it still doesn't have the flow that it should be.

Last edited:

Venz90

@ Kays & Purple_Tangrowth, thank-you!

I totally missed that BoltBeam weakness, and I suppose having 3 flying types is less than ideal. And good point about Meganium, I may abandon sentiment when I get to the BF. But I think for the most part, I'll be ok leading up to the BF @ the gyms + elite four.

Great advice, can't wait to get started!

Ninja Dog

Banned
^ yeah its a Dw ability.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Okay, hopefully this post will be more of a rate. For Gliscor (if you still want him) give him stone edge over facade and roost can work over x-scisor but you can also put night slash there. Recover is okay on starmie but since it's the battle frontier it doesn't matter to much if you chose psychic. Life orb or expert belt can work as item. You could go flamethower on togekiss to help take out other steel types but shadow ball provides coverage enough. For the dragon earthquake and extreme speed are probably the best option, but you can just use fire punch over extreme speed. Light clay on meganium since it's got screens, but i think you can change this pokemon for a bronzong maybe since he provides a lot of resistances for the team and can still use the dual screens.

Venz90

Hi everyone, had an absolute blast with this play-through, already starting out on my next one. Thanks to everyone for their input.

So my next team I decided to try a bit mixed just to have some fun. Again, not really fussed about items. But i'll make the effort this time to breed for egg moves and natures. So here goes!

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers (Spec. Wall/B Passer)
Calm | Filter
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
Thunder Wave first and start building up Calm Minds. Filter ensures it can take a hit before passing but still fears any non-resisted physical attack. Psychic for STAB.

Jolteon @ ? (Spec. Attacker/B Passer)
Modest | Volt Absorb
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Agility
- Baton Pass
T.bolt and Shadow Ball for good strength and OK coverage. Agility for passing to physical attackers. Modest nature because it's fast enough.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers (Phys. Tank/Annoy)
Impish | Chlorophyll
- Sunny Day
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
Sleep Powder first then set up. Strongest Power Whip in the game (I think?). REALLY annoying!

Yanmega @ ? (Spec. Attacker)
Timid | Tinted Lens
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Toxic
- Roost
Went for Tinted Lens instead of Speed Boost because of B Passing Jolteon. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are great STAB moves, followed by Toxic and Roost for longevity. SpD isn't great but if Calm Minds are chain passed successfully, this guy can wreak havoc.

Tyranitar @ ? (Phys. Attacker)
Adamant | Sand Stream
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
Never raised a Tyranitar before but this seems to be the standard. Freaking wrecking ball!

Feraligatr @ ? (Phys. Attacker)
Jolly | Torrent
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
Ice Punch, Waterfall and Superpower for great coverage followed by Swords Dance for boosted attack. Almost went for Avalanche instead of Ice Punch, but thought that made BP Jolteon redundant.

Pls tell me what you think!

chap196

For Tyranitar
Put Payback instead of Crunch because Tyranitar is slow and payback will double power when you are slower than your opponent.
Use Dragon Dance 1 time wouldn't sweep your opponent immediately, I would recommend curse ,more because it will let Tyranitar hard to get kill, also it help Payback to double power.
For Jolteon
I recommend not to play Baton Pass because it will fainted first while it use Agility, use Thunder Wave and Hidden power Ground instead because it may OHKO more easier on your opponent Pokemon.

Venz90

Good point about the Payback boost. But IMO I don't think there's much difference in-game between a 150 base power Payback and a 120 base power Crunch, given TTar's already massive attack stat. I think hitting first is always better than hitting last.

A good point also about Jolteon, his HP and Def stats are pretty bad. But not many trainers in-game have Earthquake, hopefully he can BP fast enough.

Thanks for the tips!

Emeraldfan

Love that Tyranitar, I don't see DD ones that often. I would run Jolly > Adamant though, attack is massive as it is, speed not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.