• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RMT -- All Poison Lineup

Koridojo_Blaziken

In a more official battling environment I'm well aware that choosing all six of your Pokemon from one typing is a choice with high potential for disastrous results. HOWEVER, a while back some buddies and I decided to try and form some single-type teams to try and organize a local "campus gym league" of sorts, just for the novelty and the fun of it. I originally tried out an all Dark-type team, and bombed rather spectacularly for it on the Battle Spot; I think, though, with Poison typing I can potentially cover more range than just flat-out speed or sweeping.

Here's the team I've ended up with--if anyone can offer any suggestions for improvement or replacement, it would be greatly appreciated.

- - -

;407;
Roserade @Big Root
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Nature: Timid (+Spe / - Atk)
-Leech Seed
-Toxic Spikes
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain

Roserade has been a great lead for me so far. It's primarily built to get Toxic Spikes set up first, and then Leech Seed and/or Sleep Powder if it's still alive after. Toxic Spikes is always the first move I have it use, for the coverage of poisoning whoever else the opponent might switch in after; Sleep Powder is to put the more immediate threats (like Fire- or Psychic-types) out of commision for a few turns, and allow Roserade to either Leech Seed or Giga Drain them depending on its HP at that point. The Big Root gives it more healing from Giga Drain and helps its survivability a little bit further.

Even with its Speed maxed I have occasionally run into Pokemon that were still faster, and in these cases it often ends up getting knocked out before it can set up Toxic Spikes. For the most part, though, it's managed to outspeed a lot of other Pokemon and even deal some good damage of its own with a neutral or super effective Giga Drain. After setting up Toxic Spikes, I like to try and focus on getting a Leech Seed in so that even if Roserade does go down, at least a little bit of health will get traded to my next Pokemon each turn and help wear the enemy Pokemon down a little further.

;110;
Weezing @Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold (+Def / - Atk)
-Will-o-wisp
-Destiny Bond
-Thunderbolt
-Sludge Bomb

Weezing is built as the physical wall of my team, and even serves as a sort of threat neutralizer. Between Levitate taking away its Ground weakness, Will-O-Wisp reducing oncoming Attack STABs and dealing extra damage each turn, and Destiny Bond potentially taking out a particularly threatening Pokemon (assuming Weezing can perform the move before the other Pokemon attacks, of course), it tends to be the one I send out right after Roserade to try and wear down a couple of the opponent's Pokemon. It's managed to survive a few physical Psychic-type attacks, and with Black Sludge restoring its HP it's managed to survive a surprisingly long time in some battles. Its speed and offenses are rather lacking, though, so unless it can somehow manage a lucky paralysis or poisoning from Sludge Bomb or Thunderbolt it really doesn't serve much use beyond tanking, status infliction and somewhat gimmicky KO'ing.

;042;
Golbat @Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Spe / 220 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD / -Atk)
-Super Fang
-Toxic
-Venoshock
-Roost

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at how well this one works as a Special wall and staller. The Eviolite and his HP / SpD training have boosted him to a point where even a STAB Psychic or Thunderbolt only knocks him down about 1/4 health; he's an unexpectedly durable annoyance with an equally annoying appearance, and I LOVE it.

With Toxic, he acts as a backup Poisoner in Roserade's place and gets a boost to the already STAB'd Venoshock. Super Fang takes down a guaranteed 1/2 of the opponent's current HP and either allows the poison to do its job faster or else leaves an easy clean-up for the sweepers. Roost is there to give it a quick heal when its HP drops down into the low yellow range.

;049;
Venomoth @Silver Powder
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Nature: Timid (+Spe / - Atk)
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance
-Hidden Power (Rock)
-Sleep Powder

Venomoth is my answer to Psychic- and Dark-types--I was originally going to pick Drapion, but then realized that Venomoth would be far speedier. The idea behind this one is to Sleep Powder the Psychic types, safely pull off a Quiver Dance or two, and then Bug Buzz the Psychic type into oblivion. Hidden Power is there as a backup attack, to handle Flying and Fire types. It's frail defensively, and sometimes even a neutral STAB is enough to either knock it out or take it down to red HP.

;094;
Gengar★ @Scope Lens
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+Spe / -Atk)
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt

I originally considered going with a Gengarite/Perish Song build, but realized that my already trained SpA Sweeper Gengar could likely cover the gaps that my physical sweeper would struggle with. I'd already been using this Gengar as a sweeper long before building this team, and while she is a glass cannon she can usually outspeed most everything else that's been thrown at her, and has often managed to 1HKO or 2HKO anything that hasn't had a resistance to either her STABs or Focus Blast. Thunderbolt provides an extra bit of much-needed coverage against those pesky Water- and Flying-types, and also has the chance for a potential paralysis. The Scope Lens is there to boost her chances of getting a critical hit, and thus hopefully better her chances of knocking more Pokemon out.

;034;
Nidoking @Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk / -SpA)
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
-Rock Slide

Nidoking is built to be a pure, physical sweeper. Although Sheer Force does take away the chance of getting off a poison (Poison Jab) or flinch (Rock slide), his ability combined with the Life Orb has given him some insane attack power, and so long as he can get in the first hit he's managed to clean up the floor pretty well with an opponent's roster. Aside from the STAB Earthquake and Poison Jab, Rock Slide helps to counter the Flying and Fire types (and is pretty dang useful for AoE damage in Triples or Doubles), while Megahorn is the second choice after Venomoth to handle Psychics and the occasional Grass- or Dark-type. The Life Orb drain and lackluster defenses against super-effective STAB mean he doesn't last long, but if his predecessors can do their job right there usually isn't much left for him to finish up anyways, so it's not a terrible loss.

- - -

Thanks again in advance for any input you guys can provide as to how I can improve or substitute any of the Pokemon on this roster--I highly appreciate it!

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
Hi there here are some changes I think you should try out.

On roserade it should run sludge bomb over leech seed because you can't touch any grass types at all with roserade and your letting types which resist grass have free hits on you or even letting them set up on you, A perfect example is charizard x which is popular and can sweep your team easy. at least sludge bomb can hit it and with a 30% poison chance which will stop charizard from setting up and sweeping. You can't rely on sleep powder since it misses a lot. If you do this I would run leftovers on roserade.

On weezing use clear smog this will stop anyone setting up on you such as charizard x as i mentioned before. this way you don't have to worry about pokes setting up on you so remove thunderbolt for it. you could also run flamethower on weezing to deal with steel types that can't be hit poison moves such as bisharp which can't be hit by clear smog and can set up on you as people have started running sub on him.

The set for Golbat is interesting and I like it so it's fine but it does have a bad weakness to it since steel types ruin it's stall since toxic can't work and superfang will take to long to take down the poke and gengar destroys it too.

On venomoth you could try baton pass over hidden power and pass the stats to gengar for a easy sweep but the set is fine that you are using as hidden power rock helps with charizard x and y.

On gengar give it Gengarite since it's not banned on battle spot you can abuse mega gengar ability which traps the pokemon from switching out this lets you deal with pokes that threaten your team and if you use that baton pass on venomoth mega gengar will sweep so much as long as you don't miss focus blast when it's needed and their pokes don't run sucka punch or have focus sash. run the set you have it works well with mega gengar. scope lens is pointless so yeah abuse mega gengar.

On nidoking people run sp atk because a lot of his moves work well with his ability such as earth power, fire blast and ice beam. But you have to run physical because you have to many sp atks remove the set is fine.

it's is hard to use a mono team but you seem to cover most things but if you struggle to much with psychic types drapion it is the perfect to stop these weakness.

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

I like that team. I'm a fan of mono-type teams myself and your team seems solid and creative. I like how you use Golbat, just looking at the set and EV's Ican imagine how annoying that thing must be. Also like Venomoth, although you do struggle with Psychic types since ALL your 6 Pokémon are weak to Psychic moves, meaning that you can't switch into them generally and will most often have to work with revenge-killing. Golbat may work to an extent but Psyshock will hit its lower physical defense and probably nail a 2HKO. I think you need Drapion somewhere.

About Gengar, I agree with Naoto Shirogane. If you can use Mega Gengar, why not? Mega Gengar has 170 Sp Atk, does a lot more than Perish trapping. You can use the same Special Sweeper set with Mega Gengar and it will be deadly thanks to it's ability to prevent switching out. And I honestly don't see the point of Scope Lens at all. Wide Lens for Focus Blast would make more sense but even so... Mega Gengar will do a lot better.

The Baton Pass Venomoth idea is also interesting when talking about Mega Gengar. Try it out.

pokemonjeff

interested trader
You could run Scollipede > roserade. Its got toxic spikes and spikes. With speed boost, you have the option to protect. It guarantees atleast one set of spikes, since its pretty unlikely you'll be outsped after a speed boost. It can then baton pass that speed to venomoth or if you don't want to be taunt bait you could run EQ/Megahorn.

Really like Mono Poison Teams I have one myself. I would swap Venoshock over sludge bomb IMO. I use a Nidoqueen with toxic spikes and stealth rock. If you wanna battle some time my fc is in my sig. Just lemme know if I should bring my poison team.

I like your team. I made a poison team in gen V that I'm trying to remake in gen VI. Your team is pretty solid as mono teams go but here are a few tips. You should use Venoshock and Hex on Gengar. If Roselia gets of Toxic Spikes (or Golbat gets of a Toxic or two) then most of the team will be poisoned making Gengar hit that much harder. You may also want to switch Nidoking for Nidoqueen. She may be a touch weaker but she gets the same ability and has higher defenses. You should also have at least one more physical attacker in there and a special wall. Tentacruel works good as a special wall and Drapion, Toxicroak, and Crobat work well as physical attackers. Here are some sets:

Tentacruel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
- Venoshock
- Infestation
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Drapion @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Toxic
- Protect
- Payback
- Earthquake

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Crobat @ Flying Gem
Ability: Infiltrator
- Haze
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Quick Attack / Cross Poison

Either way I think you've got a solid team. Props for going with poison!!! Good luck!

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
I like your team. I made a poison team in gen V that I'm trying to remake in gen VI. Your team is pretty solid as mono teams go but here are a few tips. You should use Venoshock and Hex on Gengar. If Roselia gets of Toxic Spikes (or Golbat gets of a Toxic or two) then most of the team will be poisoned making Gengar hit that much harder. You may also want to switch Nidoking for Nidoqueen. She may be a touch weaker but she gets the same ability and has higher defenses. You should also have at least one more physical attacker in there and a special wall. Tentacruel works good as a special wall and Drapion, Toxicroak, and Crobat work well as physical attackers. Here are some sets:

Tentacruel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
- Venoshock
- Infestation
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Drapion @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Toxic
- Protect
- Payback
- Earthquake

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Crobat @ Flying Gem
Ability: Infiltrator
- Haze
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Quick Attack / Cross Poison

Either way I think you've got a solid team. Props for going with poison!!! Good luck!

Running hex and venoshock might seem like a good idea but what happens if the person has chansey who can just use heal bell and gengar can't kill chansey even with focus blast. Now you will have to rely on getting those pokemon poisoned or whatever. If his friends know he is only using poison types they will know he will try get toxic spikes down so they will try counter it by running a defog user. If roserade dies and toxic spikes is not up gengar has lost a lot of damage due to running those 2 moves.

as for the sets you put up why run Infestation while using choice scarf? they will likely kill it before tenta does half their damage.

flying gem is not out in x and y and Charizard x can get a easy set up on tenta and pretty much 6ko

Last edited:
Running hex and venoshock might seem like a good idea but what happens if the person has chansey who can just use heal bell and gengar can't kill chansey even with focus blast. Now you will have to rely on getting those pokemon poisoned or whatever. If his friends know he is only using poison types they will know he will try get toxic spikes down so they will try counter it by running a defog user. If roserade dies and toxic spikes is not up gengar has lost a lot of damage due to running those 2 moves.

as for the sets you put up why run Infestation while using choice scarf? they will likely kill it before tenta does half their damage.

flying gem is not out in x and y and Charizard x can get a easy set up on tenta and pretty much 6ko

They were just suggestions. Infestation was to trap then switch. You could run Hex on Tentacruel instead of on Gengar. Or run Dazzling Gleam. And why would you leave Tentacruel in against a physical attacker if its a special wall? And who leaves a pokemon in that is locked into a move that wont hurt the pokemon its facing? Anyway no one on his team can really counter Charizard-X. Thats the problem with single type teams, they usually lack coverage somewhere. If Tentacruel doesn't get it done for you then Dragalge is another good special wall. With Acid Armor it can function as a decent physical wall as well. As for the flying gem, sorry. My bad. Run Brave Bird with Sharp Beak or keep Acrobatics and don't run an item. Again they're just suggestions.

Sephyre

Grass Lover
I really love the main core of the team and the idea itself.
A tentacruel, as suggested above, would have been an awesome pick to cover more roles up.
Nevertheless, Drapion can be the perfect pkmn for u: he can manage any Psychic type and he can also run many moves from Nidoking, making him the perfect substitution for coverage and utility.

Golbat@Eviolite... WELL... that's being god <3

andzedan000

Causing Shenanigans
Definetly need the Sludge bomb, but also I think you should sleep the enemy on the first turn. If you don't, they can cripple 2 or your pokes with SR or they can Taunt so putting tem to sleep is usually the favorable option.