• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RMT Pokemon Yellow Gen 1

Blaze990

Hello! I'm currently playing Yellow and need some help with my team, especially for the final spot.

Pikachu:
Thunderbolt
Thunder wave
Quick Attack
Flash

Venusaur:
Vine Whip (Will be replaced with Body Slam)
Razor Leaf
Mega Drain
Cut

Pidgeot:
Swift
Wing Attack (Will be replaced with Sky Attack)
Razor Winds
Quick Attack (Will Be replaced with Fly)

Vaporeon:
Bubble Beam
Ice Beam
Aurora Beam (Will be replaced by Mimic probably)
Surf

Rhydon:
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Strength
Stomp

I had a Nidoking but replaced it with Rhydon since I noticed I have a strong psychic weakness. Other options were Marowak or Machamp.
I'm open to suggestions about changing attack moves and who to put in the sixth spot.

Sprinter1988

Just a general team suggestion: If you've picked up TM19 (Seismic Toss) Pikachu could potentially benefit from it. I know it is set damage, but you never know when that could come in handy!
Your Rhydon could also learn Seismic Toss, but it has less need for it.

For your final slot I would suggest considering either a psychic type - Alakazam and Hypno are your best options here as Venusaur and Vaporeon make Exeggutor and Starmie redundant.
Or you could go for a fire type - Growlithe and Ponyta can be found in the wild, Vulpix can be gotten from the Game Corner for 1000 coins and Charmander is available as a gift pokemon (but you might not want Charizard with Pidgeot) - personally I think the next best option for a fire type would be Growlithe.

Another option would be Gengar. It's best ghost move is Night Shade, which is fixed damage, but as with Seismic Toss, you never know when that will be handy. Add in Psychic and Thunderbolt to deal massive damage. The last move is harder because normally people would select Mega Drain, but you've already given that to Venusaur. You could go with Toxic, I guess. Or Hypnosis, but it's accuracy is only 60%. If you do run Hypnosis, consider Dream Eater for healing, but remember that the opponent has to be asleep, so you can only hit with it if Hypnosis lands.

And as one last option, Clefable and Wigglytuff. They can both have the same function - give them Psychic, Fire Blast, Thunder and Blizzard for a high-risk moveset that will deal lots of damage but may miss. Assuming you didn't use the thunderbolt TM on Pikachu, then you could give that to either of them, just for more accuracy.

Just some thoughts anyway.

Thepowaofhax

As a general thing, I will be approaching this team assuming you will not be able to trade to evolve Pokemon such as Kadabra or Haunter.

For Pokemon on your last slot, there are quite a few potential Pokemon. My best recommendations can be Hypno (due to it being a decent bulky Psychic-type that can potentially run a mixed-sweeper set), Clefable (due to massive amounts of elemental coverage), Tauros (although unlikely due to some physical TMs used, Tauros can be quite a fast sweeper. It has a usable Special stat that allows for mixed attacking. I'd recommend giving it Body Slam instead of giving it to Venusaur, though.)

Another thing to consider about Tauros is that with an X-Accuracy, it can abuse Horn Drill/Fissure for easy OHKOs given your Pokemon is faster than your opponent's Pokemon. Hopefully this helps!

Regarding move sets, if you desperately need Fighting-type coverage, Rhydon can learn Submission, so it is an option. Vaporeon can benefit from getting Acid Armor, as it can allow Vaporeon to be a better mixed tank. Replacing Quick Attack with Thunder for Pikachu can allow it to do higher amounts of damage for the E4, has it has rather drab stats.

Last edited:

jabber2033

Charizard's a nice option as a Flyer over Pidgeot, since it's much more versatile and Pidgeot doesn't have much going for it.
-Flamethrower
-Dig (Since EQ is on Rhydon)
-Slash (Crits for days)
-Fly

would be the moveset since Zard can learn Fly in Yellow. If you only want to use one of the RB starters, then Dodrio is a much better Normal/Flying since it does get Tri-Attack as well.

Snorlax is a decent option for the final slot. For a moveset:
-Body Slam
-Dig (since EQ is on Rhydon)
-Submission
-Hyper Beam/Fissure

STAB Body Slam for Paralysis chance and Dig if you haven't used it. Submission is for additional coverage and Hyper Beam to KO things. Could also abuse X Accuracy + Fissure as well.

Blaze990

First of all thank you all! Much appreciated!!

@jabber2033 Pidgeot is my favourite Pokemon I wouldn't consider changing her :$

@thepowaofhax is correct I can't currently trade so... Gengar and Alakasm are out. But I liked the Hypno option I haven't raised him before. I'm going to go with Hypno!

Move set:
Tri Attack
Psychic
Hypnosis
Dream Eater

I liked the Charizard and Clefable suggested... Gonna use them in my second run!

I'm gonna consider changing Pikachu for Tauros as well... If I can catch him :p

Again thank you all!

Thepowaofhax

@thepowaofhax is correct I can't currently trade so... Gengar and Alakasm are out. But I liked the Hypno option I haven't raised him before. I'm going to go with Hypno!

Move set:
Tri Attack
Psychic
Hypnosis
Dream Eater

I liked the Charizard and Clefable suggested... Gonna use them in my second run!

I'm gonna consider changing Pikachu for Tauros as well... If I can catch him :p

Again thank you all!
As a general thought, Hypno does get a great selection of status-inducing moves. Hypnosis is a bit inaccurate, unfortunately, but it does get Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave makes for a great alternative, but you will have to forego your powerful recovery move. You could replace Dream Eater for something like Submission.

If you do have thoughts of replacing Pikachu for Tauros, you do have an alternative to both. Magneton makes for a great bulky attacker, with high special, decent defense and accessibility to moves like Reflect. If you haven't given your Pikachu a Thunderbolt TM, this could be a usable moveset:

Magneton
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder
-Reflect
-Toxic/Thunder Wave

Magneton learns T-Wave naturally at level 38, and Toxic by TM. I suggest giving this Thunder Wave if you want to keep Hypnosis + Dream Eater on Hypno if you do replace Pikachu. You can get Magneton at the Power Plant near the entrance of Rock Tunnel, which is also where you would find the Thunder and Reflect TMs. If you do change Hypno's moveset to accommodate Thunder Wave, Toxic is good damage over time on beefier Pokemon. If you do want to use Tauros, it is quite fast and can definitely abuse Thunder and Blizzard with its 70 Special, and you'll likely use Strength as a substitute for Body Slam.

Last edited:

Blaze990

The thing is I already used the Submission TM on my Nidoking which was replaced by Rhydon :/ Any other suggestions for Hypno's final move slot? Or is there another Submission TM I can access? (He asked hopefully)

You're right Magneton does seem like a better option than Pikachu and (the proving impossible to catch) Tauros.... But I'm starting to get fed up with grinding to raise my team. My team is quite under-levelled and with Hypno now in training I don't think I'm gonna change Pikachu any time soon :/

Thepowaofhax

The thing is I already used the Submission TM on my Nidoking which was replaced by Rhydon :/ Any other suggestions for Hypno's final move slot? Or is there another Submission TM I can access? (He asked hopefully)

You can buy more Submission TMs over at Celadon in the giant pokemart.

Blaze990

Ah great!!! Thanks a lot for the help!!