• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[RMT] Sinnoh Starters

CelestialTrainer

Just Getting Started
I wanted to make a competitive team with my favorite starters. (Torterra, Empoleon, Infernape)

With the help Of some of the comments on this post and a battle i had earlier. i have made a few changes to the team. I would like to know how to utilize this team the best way possible with today's metagame and what pokemon would be useful teamates to the 3 Sinnoh Starters. .

torterra.gif

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Ability: Shell Armor
~ Earthquake
~ Wood Hammer
~ Leech Seed
~ Synthesis
Strategy: Im using Set thanks to Atrocious. Well now he does an BETTER job at Walling than his Offensive Tank Set . and is still able to utlilize his great attaking base stat so i find this set handy and very useful. Even tho he lives in the UU NU tiers, he can still turn a game around. hes one of my favorites and i still want to show off his underestimated skills.

empoleon.gif

Empoleon @Wise Glasses
Calm Nature (-Atk, +Sp.Def)
248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Ability: Torrent
~ Stealth Rock
~ Scald
~ Ice Beam
~ Protect
Strategy: Empoleon has great walling capabilities also and could be used and utilized in numerous ways. I chose this set because I needed a steath rock user to rack up some entry damage along side my forretress. Steath rocks ensure that i could hit anything that isn't damaged by toxic spikes. Scald is there for STAB and for burn damage on pokemon that are immune to Toxic Spikes. It also helps Empoleon become a little more defensive from physical attackers because its EV investment is for Special attacks such as Hurricane, Thunder, Blizzard, Fire Blast or Draco meteor. Moves that could damage my team. His Typing also works well alongside torterra :)

togekiss.gif

Togekiss @King's Rock
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Ability: Serene Grace
~ Body Slam
~ Air Slash
~ Flamethrower
~ Wish
StrategyI feel Togekiss fits perfectlt on this team because of this set. Paralysis helps out my team tramendously since torterra and empoleon are slow. ParaFlinch stategy also has the power to stop setting up of any sort and could knockout many threats. Body slam is there to paralyze ground types or pokemon immune to thunder wave. Airslash is STAB and could be used to take out Conkeldurr and Breloom. Plus it has a high chance to flich opponents due to Serene Grace and Kings Rock. Flamethrower was chosen over Aura Sphere to handle troublesome Steel Types such as ferrothorn, Genesect, Magnezone and Scizor. I also needed some wish support for my team mates and WHAT DO YOU KNOW? Togekiss can learn wish!!

forretress.gif

Forretress @Leftovers
Bold Nature (-Sp.Atk, +Def)
252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
~ Rapid Spin
~ Toxic
~ Volt Switch
~ Pain Split
Strategy: Forretress fits well on many teams and well he earned a spot on this one. Besides the fact that he shares an fire type weakness with torterra its really not that big of a deal since most of my pokemon can handle fire types just fine. His New purpose is to Spin away entry hazards. Toxic Spikes could help my Pokemon out perfectly with Torterra having synthesis , and empoleon having protect. but it wasnt working out much since most pokemon either are part flying types have Levitate or is a steel type so i chose Toxic instead. the only disadvantage is that it takes away from Togekisses strategy of paralyzing, however, paralysis helps but is not needed. voltswitch was chosen over spikes because it comes in handy when i want to come in on pysical attacks and voltswitch out or toxic the opponent. could be helpful in some cases. Finally, Gyro ball is a reccomended STAB move but it never did me any justice so i just used pain split for a recovery move and help with the toxic damage.

infernape.gif

Infernape @Life Orb
Naive Nature (-Sp.Def, +Speed)
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Sp.Atk
Ability: Iron Fist
~ Overheat
~ Close Combat
~ Mach Punch
~ Stone Edge/U-Turn
Strategy: so unfortunately the choice band set isn't Infernapes best set. However it is useful. He could now be a Physical/Special sweeper or in some cases a revenge killer with Iron Fist + +Life Orb Mach Punch. Not as strong as Choice band but Choice banded mach punch isnt as useful. Just incase im i have a speed tie with Terrakion or Virizion i can use mach punch. and now i dont have to be choiced Locked. This set still helps me check many threats that would probably hurt my team such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Terrakion, Ice types, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and the list goes on. Iron Fist + Life orb Closecombat/Mach punch might ensure me that i could either KO and revenge kill..Not too sure, but it might be able to put a dent in their pokemon or take out the last of their HP if Entry hazards are in effect, Stone edge is used for coverage but U-turn might come in handy.

starmie.gif

Starmie @Choice Scarf
Timid Nature (-Atk, + Speed)
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Sp.Def
Ability: Natural Cure
~ Hydro Pump
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Psyshock
Strategy The exact opposite of infernape. But the same Strategy. This Starfish is my Revenge killer/ Special sweeper and now does it better with scarf instead of specs. He has great coverage and great synergy with Torterra and Infernape. Thunderbolt for Jellicent or problematic water types. Ice beam could be used for Dragon pokemon that think they can just sweep my team. or for short this is my Boltbeam combo. HydroPump/Psyshock for STAB. While Psyshock can still be used on Annoying Fighting types such as Conkeldurr and breloom. and to prevent being walled by specially defensive pokemon.

Rate, Comment, Critique, and offer me some useful help :) Thanks for helping!

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
It is best if you test it out first. You might be able to figure it out.

CelestialTrainer

Just Getting Started
It is best if you test it out first. You might be able to figure it out.

I have been trying to find someone to test it out but unfortunately i havent been able to find any1. I was looking for criticism on this team and no luck with that either :/

Atrocious

Well I see a decent FWG core coming together besides Infernape lol. Torterra could actually work nice in OU as it can check those Fighting attacks from say Terrakion. I'd make Torterra Physically Bulky while Empoleon is Specially Bulky being able to check a few Pokemon on weather teams. IMO best Infernape set is MixApe. Psyshock > Psychic and I'd say Hydro Pump > Surf but people don't seem to like that. Toxic Spikes < Volt Switch. It just doesn't do much as it used to anymore and Ts just isn't viable anymore. Leftovers > Wiseglasses and for Torterra,

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis/Rock Slide/Toxic

Last move is really for preference. Synthesis provides reliable recovery,
Rock Slide nails Flying types and Toxic wears down walls and other defensive Pokemon.

Last edited:

CelestialTrainer

Just Getting Started
Well I see a decent FWG core coming together besides Infernape lol. Torterra could actually work nice in OU as it can check those Fighting attacks from say Terrakion. I'd make Torterra Physically Bulky while Empoleon is Specially Bulky being able to check a few Pokemon on weather teams. IMO best Infernape set is MixApe. Psyshock > Psychic and I'd say Hydro Pump > Surf but people don't seem to like that. Toxic Spikes < Volt Switch. It just doesn't do much as it used to anymore and Ts just isn't viable anymore. Leftovers > Wiseglasses and for Torterra,

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis/Rock Slide/Toxic

Last move is really for preference. Synthesis provides reliable recovery,
Rock Slide nails Flying types and Toxic wears down walls and other defensive Pokemon.

well brelooms special defense is low and so is conkeldor ( correct me if im wrong) so thats why i went with psychic over psyshock. and hydro pump isnt reliable lol
and toxic spikes helps my team nicely but i see why it isnt viable anymore lol so i think voltswitch might be a good idea :) and If i use Voltswitch over Toxic Spikes should i use Toxic on Empoleon over Protect? As for torterra i dont like to rely on Leech Seed very much so i might just use Toxic Earthquake Woodhammer and Synthesis.

In Wifi battling could i use duplicate items because originally i had leftovers on both empoleon and torterra. and lastly where can i see the MixApe set?

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I wanted to make a competitive team with my favorite starters. (Torterra, Empoleon, Infernape)

So i managed to come up with this Team and I haven't really had the chance to test it out. I would like to know how to utilize this team the best way possible with today's metagame and what pokemon would be useful teamates to the 3 Sinnoh Starters.

Torterra @LifeOrb
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Ability: Shell Armor
~ Earthquake
~ Wood Hammer
~ Rock Slide
~ Synthesis
Strategy: Im using Torterra as a Wall Kind of. well he does an OK job at Walling. but he also has a great attaking base stat so i using an Offensive Tank set from Smogon. I dont really know how to Utilize Torterra Because he Lives in the UU NU tiers but hes one of my favorites and i want to show off his underestimated skills by Tanking than making a strong come back!

Empoleon @Wise Glasses
248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Ability: Torrent
~ Stealth Rock
~ Scald
~ Ice Beam
~ Protect
Strategy: Empoleon has great walling capabilities also and could be used and utilized in numerous ways. I chose this set because I needed a steath rock user to rack up some entry damage along side my forretress. Steath rocks ensure that i could hit anything that isn't damaged by toxic spikes. Scald is there for STAB and for burn damage on pokemon that are immune to Toxic Spikes. It also helps Empoleon become a little more defensive from physical attackers because its EV investment is for Special attacks such as Hurricane, Thunder, Blizzard, Fire Blast or Draco meteor. Moves that could damage my team. His Typing also works well alongside torterra

Togekiss @King's Rock
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Ability: Serene Grace
~ Body Slam
~ Air Slash
~ Flamethrower
~ Wish
StrategyI feel Togekiss fits perfectlt on this team because of this set. Paralysis helps out my team tramendously since torterra and empoleon are slow. ParaFlinch stategy also has the power to stop setting up of any sort and could knockout many threats. Body slam is there to paralyze ground types or pokemon immune to thunder wave. Airslash is STAB and could be used to take out Conkeldurr and Breloom. Plus it has a high chance to flich opponents due to Serene Grace and Kings Rock. Flamethrower was chosen over Aura Sphere to handle troublesome Steel Types such as ferrothorn, Genesect, Magnezone and Scizor. I also needed some wish support for my team mates and WHAT DO YOU KNOW? Togekiss can learn wish!!

Forretress @Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (-Sp.Atk, +Def)
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
~ Rapid Spin
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Spikes/ Earthquake
~ Gyro Ball
Strategy: Forretress fits well on many teams and well he earned a spot on this one. Besides the fact that he shares an fire type weakness with torterra its really not that big of a deal since most of my pokemon can handle fire types just fine. His purpose of course is to Spin and set up Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes could help my Pokemon out perfectly with Torterra having synthesis , and empoleon having protect. but the only disadvantage is that it takes away from Togekisses strategy of paralyzing, however, paralysis helps but is not needed. Spikes is there as an alternative if paraflinching is absolutly needed. but earthquake could be helpful in some cases. Finally, Gyro ball is the recommended STAB move.

Infernape @Choice Band
Jolly Nature (-Sp.Atk, +Speed)
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Iron Fist
~ Flare Blitz
~ Close Combat
~ Mach Punch
~ Stone Edge/ U-turn
Strategy: Probably Infernapes best set. He could be a wonderful revenge killer/Physical sweeper. This set helps me revenge kill many threats that would probably hurt my team such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Terrakion, Ice types, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and the list goes on. Iron Fist + Choice Banded Closecombat/Mach punch ensures me that i could either KO and revenge kill, put a dent in their pokemon or take out the last of their HP with Mach Punch. It helps if Entry hazards are in effect because it could help if im locked into Mach Punch. Stone edge is used for coverage but U-turn might come in handy.

Starmie @Choice Specs
Timid Nature (-Atk, + Speed)
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Sp.Def
Ability: Natural Cure
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Psychic
Strategy The exact opposite of infernape. But the same Strategy. This Starfish is my Revenge killer/ Special sweeper. He has great coverage and great synergy with Torterra and Infernape. Thunderbolt for Jellicent or problematic water types. Ice beam could be used for Dragon pokemon that think they can just sweep my team. or for short this is my Boltbeam combo. Surf/Psychic for STAB and Psychic to be used on Annoying Fighting types such as Conkeldurr and breloom.

Rate, Comment, Critique, and offer me some useful help Thanks for helping!
Without Hydro Pump, you miss out on alot of potential KO's (same with Rock Slide), so I'd use the more powerful moves instead. Meaning, Hydro Pump > Surf and Stone Edge > Rock Slide. Use Atrocious's set otherwise, for Torterra. Revenge Killers usually have a Scarf so they are not outsped.

CelestialTrainer

Just Getting Started
lorenzothecomic thank you and azeem40 Okay ill go with hydro pump and maybe replace choice specs with chioce scarf? and to add on torterra isnt able to outspeed much even slow opponents so i think the set atroctious used is a better option.

** My team is Updated...Need some more input , maybe a full Rate? **

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Empoleon should also have Leftovers, it is perfectly viable over wifi club (not random matchup)
Togekiss may also like Leftovers, or a Lum Berry, but King's Rock isn't necessary, unless ParaFlinching don't wotk when you use it (hate it when that happens).
Just two minor points, but they just make the difference. Nice team c:

CelestialTrainer

Just Getting Started
Oh awesome. Its good to know i can use leftys since most of my team needs it lol and thanks for the help:)

Atrocious

TS isn't viable with all the Steel types, Tentacruel being the most popular spinner can just absorb them, Levitaters and Flying types and if you're really trying to beat Conkeldurr, Toxic Spikes just gives it a Guts boost.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Regarding Psyshock VS Psychic, use Psyshock. It keeps you from being walled by Specially-defensive Pokes like Jellicent and Blissey while still hammering Conk (who's nowhere these days anyway) and Breloom.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Psyshock also helps against the pink blobs, and still does a number on Conk.