• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RNGing in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that RNG has become easier gen V. If anything, it has become significantly more difficult. The Pokegear was a major loss and now we have to resort to walking in the grass and Chatots.

Catching perfect Shiny Pokemon may become easier but hatching a perfect shiny pokemon will become more difficult. I will really miss hatching shiny eggs in Gen IV because the process was so easy and you were guaranteed a shiny egg. -.-

Never have RNGed, never will.

It just isn't gratifying to me get a shiny or Pokemon with good IVs when I know I'm going to get it.
You don't know you're going to get a Shiny Pokemon. RNG Manipulation just means that instead of soft-resetting several thousand times, you soft reset 50 times instead. The entire process is still fatiguing and a nightmare.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
You don't know you're going to get a Shiny Pokemon. RNG Manipulation just means that instead of soft-resetting several thousand times, you soft reset 50 times instead. The entire process is still fatiguing and a nightmare.

While I somewhat agree with that, depending on how much you've practiced RNG you can do it with very few attempts. Like how in HG/SS I got a shiny Timid Zapdos with HP Ice and a few 31's on my first SR. And a shiny Bold Suicune with 4 31's on my 7th SR. And in 5th gen it's even easier. In 5th gen it hasn't taken me more than 3 tries to get each one that I've tried for. So with practice you can end up doing it with hardly any tries at all.

zerky

Account zerky
I disagree that RNG has become easier gen V. If anything, it has become significantly more difficult. The Pokegear was a major loss and now we have to resort to walking in the grass and Chatots.

I guess it varies from person to person. Personally I would have never been able to properly RNG in a Gen IV game because my luck finding RE shinies is absolutely nonexistent. I've never even seen a RE shiny in an official game, let alone caught one, so I would have had to use other dubious methods to obtain my SID, which completely defeats the purpose of RNGing in the first place.

Until now it's just been a really cool, if impractical, option.

Last edited:
I guess it varies from person to person. Personally I would have never been able to properly RNG in a Gen IV game because my luck finding RE shinies is absolutely nonexistent. I never even seen a RE shiny in an official game, let alone caught one, so I would have had to use other dubious methods to obtain my SID, which completely defeats the purpose of RNGing in the first place.

Until now it's just been a really cool, if impractical, option.
Okay, I should phrase it this way. It gets easier to setup but the process of actually RNG'ing gets more difficult (at least to me). You lose a lot of valuable tools from last gen. -.-

zerky

Account zerky
Well, I haven't been able to even find my initial seed yet, so you're probably right.

Then again, it's likely a sign of my own ineptitude more than anything. XD

i would liek to try to rng in white but one thing is confusing me what do they mean by seed ?
I don't have a firm grasp of what a "seed" is either; but from what I'm getting, it's a random number that is one component of determining a "random" event.

xmip

RNG for pokemon your gonna use competitively? obviouly, grinding 6+ competitive pokemon is just impossible for 99.9% of people out there
RNG for shinies? nah, no fun

Nymphaea

Quirky Bug Girl
i would liek to try to rng in white but one thing is confusing me what do they mean by seed ?

I don't have a firm grasp of what a "seed" is either; but from what I'm getting, it's a random number that is one component of determining a "random" event.

Basically, the way random number generators work is that you take a big complex algorithm/equation, and put a number into it. Every single number you put in will almost always give you a completely different number. The number you put in is the seed. Usually, the seed is time, especially on computers, but whenever there is a chance you could get more than one random number a second, they have to have a variation like the Pokemon games do. That's why there is so many things that change the seed, usually every random event will change it to prevent getting the same value twice in a row.

Nakashima

RNG for pokemon your gonna use competitively? obviouly, grinding 6+ competitive pokemon is just impossible for 99.9% of people out there
RNG for shinies? nah, no fun

Thanks for stating my opinion for me =P
I'd love to be able to RNG for IV's, as for shiny hunting, it's more rewarding to actually hunt them.

Arsène

Shiny hunting died with the Masuda Method and chaining. Some of you need to get over it already as there's really nothing special about getting one anymore.

Actually, they've never been special to me at all. If I like an alternate coloration, I'll just RNG for it while keeping it's competitive capabilities intact. Rather than hatch eggs like a mindless drone all day for cruddy IVs and Nature - that must be fun.

Last edited:

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
i hope to finally figure out how to RNG, it seems fun, and who wouldn't want a cool pokemon with great stats and moves.

ugh.. i will continue to read and pray i can figure it out.

nahcmo

Retired Poké Chainer
Shiny hunting died with the Matsuda Method and chaining. Some of you need to get over it already as there's really nothing special about getting one anymore.

Actually, they've never been special to me at all. If I like an alternate coloration, I'll just RNG for it while keeping it's competitive capabilities intact. Rather than hatch eggs like a mindless drone all day for cruddy IVs and Nature - that must be fun.

^ This so much. Exactly what I was thinking.

It's like you have these tools/methods you can use to make the process faster (and end up with a better result) but you elect not to and instead, spend hours and hours breeding/hunting. That's not an issue for me as it's their own choice (i.e. they find it more gratifying, don't have the means to do it, etc, etc).

However, what IS an issue for me is when they don't keep it to themselves. By that I mean they accuse players who do RNG that they didn't "work as hard" as them to get their shinies because they didn't spend a mindless number of hours getting it. Of course, not all "shiny hunters" are like that but quite a few are.

Anyways, haven't tried RNG'ing in 5th Gen yet, but I'll definitely have a look at it when I have more time.

It took me two weeks and a half, but I got my 31/18/30/31/31/31 Timid pink Virizion this week. It's really, really retarded trying to get good IVs and shinyness this generation compared to DPPt or even to HGSS, but at least we don't have any delay to worry with anymore, so it's mostly a matter of knowing the PIDs you want to hit shiny before you even begin the game so you can RNG your ID/SID for them, but then again... You can guess how boring that is.

Whereas RNGing for wild and stationary pokemon is fine in 5th gen, getting a bred one (especially with the right DW ability) is far more annoying due to the amount of NPCs that are moving around.

Arsène

I'm actually having that very issue apparently. But I've only managed to successfully RNG breed 3 Pokemon so far (points to signature) and a parent with flawless IVs necessary to pass down Sucker Punch. I'm going to work on a Drought Ninetales next on my new save file, though.

Edited.

Last edited:

Ixin

OK so I found my seed and I did the seed to time thing and I got
Date: 2011 01 01
Time: 01:00:02
Delay: 605

What does this mean?
And how do I actually get this pokemon?
Sorry I'm totally new to RNGing.

zerky

Account zerky
Um... I'm really bad at RNGing, so I'm probably wrong somewhere.

It sounds like you're using the C-gear method which uses delays. The delay is how long you have to wait until you turn on your C-gear and if you're using this method then you also have to download a second program that will calculate how long you have to wait.

You have to catch a pokémon, calculate its IVs and then put it in to the program to determine how much you were "off" and then you restart and repeat the process a few times to calibrate how you should set your timer from now on.

Then... I'm not sure. I haven't been able to progress past this step with the C-gear method.

Whereas RNGing for wild and stationary pokemon is fine in 5th gen, getting a bred one (especially with the right DW ability) is far more annoying due to the amount of NPCs that are moving around.
Bred Pokemon are the only Pokemon that really matter to competitive players, aside from the few non-uber legendaries that are good in OU. This gen, all we have is Thundurus (and Thundurus is NOT stationary).

RNG'ing as a whole, therefore, became a lot more difficult. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.