• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RNGing in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Glalie

I'm still failing at RNGing. (I thought this was supposed to be easier than Gen IV!) Here's what I'm doing:

-I click "Time Finder" on RNG Reporter.
-I input the method and encounter type and slot (Method 5 (Standard Seed), Wild Pokémon (Surfing), Any).
-I input the desired IVs, nature and ability.
-The parameters have already been set-up, so then I click generate.
-I find a suitable seed. It has a frame of 5. The date and time is 05/18/11 08:01:27, with no keypresses. That means I need to press A to boot the game on that date at 08:01:26. To get to the required frame, I need to walk 128 steps with 4 Pokémon in my party, correct? I do so, running in a 4x4 square near the water at the beginning of Route 4. I have to run the square 8 times, as 8x16 is 128. I take one more step to reach the water's edge, and surf. I then move around until a battle commences.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Help is appreciated. :)
As jolteon135 said:

jolteon135 said:
You have a hidden step counter which starts at 0 and when it reaches 128 the IVRNG advances by the number of Pokemon in your party. The problem is that it doesn't reset by turning off the game so for all you know you could be on step 127 and 1 more step changes the seed. The reason you're told to take exactly 128 steps is because there's no way for the seed to advance 2 times within exactly 128 steps.

The extra "steps" that you're taking while surfing might be advancing the frame. So try and do 128 "steps" on water, then Sweet Scent to encounter the Pokemon. To remove the Sandstorm, save the game. Change the date on your DS to a month ahead of what it is currently. Now, enter the game and encounter a wild Pokemon. When the battle is over, the season will change and the sand will disappear. Save your game again, and then you can use Sweet Scent.

Aegon

try doing the 128 steps on the water
I was thinking of doing that, but I'd run into wild Pokémon, wouldn't I? I'd have to put on a repel, but then I would be able to encounter a Frillish. Although it wouldn't matter if I did 200 steps, would it? (128 steps to advance the frame, and then the remaining 72 to finish the repel.)
The extra "steps" that you're taking while surfing might be advancing the frame. So try and do 128 "steps" on water, then Sweet Scent to encounter the Pokemon. To remove the Sandstorm, save the game. Change the date on your DS to a month ahead of what it is currently. Now, enter the game and encounter a wild Pokemon. When the battle is over, the season will change and the sand will disappear. Save your game again, and then you can use Sweet Scent.
I need to set the date to 18th May, though.

EDIT: I'm just going to ditch Route 4. I'm moving to Driftveil City, so I can Sweet Scent easily.

Last edited:

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
why dont you just sweet scent on the water.

and as it seems youre new.. why dont you just stick with frame 1's.. so you dont have to walk.

Aegon

why dont you just sweet scent on the water.

and as it seems youre new.. why dont you just stick with frame 1's.. so you dont have to walk.
I am Sweet Scenting on the water. I took 128 steps, and then used Sweet Scent. Nada. RNG hates me. :|

jolteon135

@SpeedSuicune: You should take Poke_Cannon's advice. If you use sweet scent you won't have to worry about walking an extra 72 steps.

EDIT: Do this: Right click on the seed in the time finder, click generate adjacent seeds. The go do it again and catch whatever you encounter and check its IVs. Then try to find those IVs in the adjacent seeds. If you find the IVs in the adjacent seeds let us know.

BrettvG

Got my shiny Terrakion today :)

I'm gonna RNG for a ferroseed now, so i put checked the encounter slot which is 4 or 5 and put it into time finder and found my seed. i then hit it in game but ferroseed didn't show up, is there any way to get it to show up??

im just getting a different pokemon with the right iv's atm

jolteon135

Got my shiny Terrakion today :)

I'm gonna RNG for a ferroseed now, so i put checked the encounter slot which is 4 or 5 and put it into time finder and found my seed. i then hit it in game but ferroseed didn't show up, is there any way to get it to show up??

im just getting a different pokemon with the right iv's atm

Right click, copy seed to clipboard. Paste in the main window where it says seed (hex). Choose encounter type (wild in this case), choose sync nature if you're using a synchronizer then generate. Calculate initial PID frame and figure out how many frames you need to advance to get to the frame that you want.
Seems like you don't know about the PIDRNG yet so go read up on it and get a Chatot to do your advancements faster.

BrettvG

ahh ok i musta just completely looked straight past where it says encounter slot even though its sitting right in front of me

cheers jolteon135

Roughneck JB

Having immense difficulty RNGing my DW Espeon.

I followed Smogon's Entralink guide, found a seed and frame number (22) which gives me the IVs I want.
However without a way to check his IVs, I have no way of finding out which delay I keep hitting, therefore I can't calibrate the timer to hit my seed.

Can anyone offer advice?

jolteon135

Having immense difficulty RNGing my DW Espeon.

I followed Smogon's Entralink guide, found a seed and frame number (22) which gives me the IVs I want.
However without a way to check his IVs, I have no way of finding out which delay I keep hitting, therefore I can't calibrate the timer to hit my seed.

Can anyone offer advice?

Why can't you check his IVs? I still haven't tried out DW RNG yet but can't you check the stats? And maybe use rare candies to get more narrow range for IVs?

Roughneck JB

I can check the stats but he's caught at Lv10, and I don't have nearly enough Rare Candies to decipher his exact IVs (They need to be exact) from such a low level. :(

Aegon

@SpeedSuicune: You should take Poke_Cannon's advice. If you use sweet scent you won't have to worry about walking an extra 72 steps.

EDIT: Do this: Right click on the seed in the time finder, click generate adjacent seeds. The go do it again and catch whatever you encounter and check its IVs. Then try to find those IVs in the adjacent seeds. If you find the IVs in the adjacent seeds let us know.
Do I click Generate Adjacent Seeds (Frame 1) or Generate Adjacent Seeds (Current Frame)?

ZottenDim

Breeding Rookie
not sjuur if i should ask it here but how can i check my IVs on the pokemon i catch since i don't use AR ... is there any way to do it? :)

Aegon

not sjuur if i should ask it here but how can i check my IVs on the pokemon i catch since i don't use AR ... is there any way to do it? :)
Level the Pokémon up as high as you can using Rare Candies (be sure to save before doing so), and enter its stats into this calculator. Then just turn off your game and the Rare Candies will never have been used. :p

EDIT: I've managed to get the correct IVs, and am now working on the nature. It's a pain.

EDIT THE SECOND: Stuff this, I'll just get a Synchroniser. :|

Last edited:

Exprima

Pokemang
Level the Pokémon up as high as you can using Rare Candies (be sure to save before doing so), and enter its stats into this calculator. Then just turn off your game and the Rare Candies will never have been used. :p

EDIT: I've managed to get the correct IVs, and am now working on the nature. It's a pain.

EDIT THE SECOND: Stuff this, I'll just get a Synchroniser. :|

You know Serebii has its own, much more presentable IV Calculator.

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
serebii is the calc i use. hasnt failed me yet, and its pretty clean.

SpeedSuicune.. the rng reporter tells you what to do.. i mean.. if you can get your IVs right.. you shouldnt have a problem at all. unless there are NPCs around.. then.. enjoy the fury.

Roughneck JB

I'm aware of that trick, but I have 4 Rare Candies in the file with Espeon and Lv14 does not give me exact IVs, whether that be with Metalkid's calculator or Serebii's calculator.

As for your Synchroniser, Elgyem are pretty common on the top of Celestial Tower. Just take something with Thunder Wave to check for Synchronise, and catch as many different-natured ones as you can

Casty

@IVs - you can also try Poke check. Haven't used it myself yet, but I heard it's pretty reliable. If you don't have a Wi-Fi, you can also go to the Battle Subway, which sets the level of your Pokemon to 50. It should give you pretty accurate results (1-2 IVs off).

---

YES! Shiny Virizion GET!

Virizion
640s.gif
Bag_Heal_Ball_Sprite.png

Jolly - Justified
31 / 31 / 31 / 3 / 31 / 31
Hidden Power - N/A

This was an incredible capture because:
- I managed to find a quint perfect spread with a low shiny frame (75). Fortunately, Virizion resides in a "quiet" area, so I could advance the IV RNG frame without any worries... unlike Cobalion's.
- ...however, said spread appeared on 18 frame, which is only possible to archive with only one Pokemon in your party. Sadly, this meant that I had to give up both on Chatots and sleepers. I also had to train an Elgyem before attempting a capture, so it doesn't roll over and die to any random attack Virizion might pull off (Giga Drain is super annoying btw). Fortunately, Elgyem learns Thunder Wave, which made the capture a bit easier.
- I had to advance the PID RNG via saves. Having to save 28 times in a row only to find out that your result doesn't match wasn't fun at all. ;_;

But, enough of Virizion! I'm soon going to capture a Terrakion, and yet again I have problems choosing a suitable ball. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.