• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RNGing in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
I plan on learning how to RNG in Gen V as soon as I get a DS charger. I was able to RNG breed shinies in DPPt using the Happiness checker/Coin flip method, but I never really attempted to learn how to catch shinies or catch/breed for IVs. Is it really easier in Gen V?

Tomxc

I have the old, bulky ds

Ah you have a lot of options then. There are a lot of different factors involved if you're going for shiny AND right nature AND IV's etc, and depending on where you are in the game (if there are a lot of moving NPC's around, or if you're trying to fish for a pokemon in a bubble spot, or if there's weather going on in the area). It certainly takes quite a bit of luck, possibly a lot, as well as timing, consistency, patience and practice, but as quoted from the Smogon guide, here's the order of difficulty from easiest to hardest in what you're trying to RNG:

[Easiest]
Stationary Legends (Zekrom/Kyurem/Musketeers/Volcarona/Foongus/Amoongus)
Gift Pokemon (Fossils/Larvesta Egg/Magikarp/Dreamyard Elemental Monkey Trio)
Wondercard Pokemon (not required)
Wild Pokemon in areas without moving NPCs using Encounter Slots
ID/SID Abuse for Shiny Frames on a Target Seed (not required)
Wild Pokemon in areas with moving NPCs using Encounter Slots
Egg Abuse
Swirling Sand / Water Spot (Surf/Fish)
White Forest Abuse (Nonshiny and Synchronize Only)
Roamer IV and Nature Abuse (nonshiny)
C-Gear Abuse for Entralink Pokemon from the Dream World
Roamer IV/Nature/Shiny Abuse in Snow or Rain
[Most Difficult]

From above, the most difficult would be trying to RNG a Thundurus with the right nature/shiny etc.

Arsène

I plan on learning how to RNG in Gen V as soon as I get a DS charger. I was able to RNG breed shinies in DPPt using the Happiness checker/Coin flip method, but I never really attempted to learn how to catch shinies or catch/breed for IVs. Is it really easier in Gen V?

Yes, virtually anybody can do it now without a hassle. All you need is to hit your target time by the second and/or held keypress until the White Nintendo logo fades. Nature and/or ability is determined by your PID frames - which can be advanced by +1 with saving the game once, or viewing a Chatot whom have a chatter "cry" recorded.

Arsène

You don't really need your ID/SID for B/W standard abuse, unless you plan to go for shinies or something.

zerky

Account zerky
Anyways I am going back to playing with perfectly usable non-Random Number Generated Pokemon.
Every single one of your pokémon was generated by the game's random number generator. The only pokémon that aren't generated by the RNG are hacked pokémon.

pokefantravis

The Poke-Pimp
Hey, anyone have any tips for a beginner at RNG? I have been trying to RNG for a 31/31/31/30/30/30 Klink with an Adamant nature in B1F of Chargestone Cave, could anyone help?

Tomxc

Hey, anyone have any tips for a beginner at RNG? I have been trying to RNG for a 31/31/31/30/30/30 Klink with an Adamant nature in B1F of Chargestone Cave, could anyone help?

You need to provide more info because RNG depends on a LOT of factors. Most importantly, what DS type are you using and what Method are you using? Also, what version of RNG Reporter are you using, and how are you timing it?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Like Skitty said, if it doesn't connect directly to the game or ds, doesn't void the warranty, and doesn't tamper with the game in anyway, then it is not cheating.

One other thing I thought that I should point out. RNG is done by using a PC program to tell you information about your game that normally isn't known or intended to be known. Well IVs and EVs are the same thing. RNG and IVs/EVs were (I'm assuming) both figured out by reverse engineering the games. And both still require you to look up info with a PC to get them done, otherwise how would you know what Pokemon give what EVs or even that there's a 510 EV cap? And you wouldn't know what your Pokemon's IVs are either without an IV calculator, which was first made the same way that RNG calculators were. So if someone is saying that using RNG is cheating then they must think that anyone who breeds for perfect IVs or EV trains are cheating too.

Arsène

In short: RNG isn't cheating. As someone in the above posts mentioned, the "morality" of it can be discussed. Yet, even "morality" is subjective.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
o-o I can't believe RNG is back for Black and white. I did it once in Platinum. I dont think I'm going to RNG this time for my shinies. I'm very patient with MM this time.

nahcmo

Retired Poké Chainer
Well, after my first real attempt at RNG Abuse of a shiny egg, I got this beauty just a few moments ago. :D

togepi.jpg

Togepi (M) - Timid
Serene Grace
31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 /31

Personally, it certainly beats breeding and hatching eggs for 50+ cumulative hours and 2,000+ eggs (my MM attempt for a shiny Joltik, UGH). Gah, I love RNG Abuse. <3

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Now is RNG in 5th gen harder to do than in Platinum? I'm reading up on it at this moment and im trying to figure out if i should test this out or not

nahcmo

Retired Poké Chainer
Now is RNG in 5th gen harder to do than in Platinum? I'm reading up on it at this moment and im trying to figure out if i should test this out or not

Well, I guess for me personally, comprehension of how to RNG Abuse in Gen V was harder than in Gen IV. But I think the process of actually carrying out the RNG Abuse is easier. For example, Chattering > Tapping, lol.

But of course, that's just me. It may be easier in Gen V than in Gen IV for others.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
this is way harder then I thought. I'm so confused... i don't get what im suppose to be doing im reading up but.. I'm still not understanding it

Arsène

It generally seems that way, but if you're reading Smogon's guides, they willl be quick to intimidate you with their terminology.

Perhaps if I'm not lazy I should write up a foolproof guide to B/W RNG once I'm certain that I've mastered it.

Tomxc

It generally seems that way, but if you're reading Smogon's guides, they willl be quick to intimidate you with their terminology.

Perhaps if I'm not lazy I should write up a foolproof guide to B/W RNG once I'm certain that I've mastered it.

I thought this guide on Smogon was extremely helpful: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3446600

And no matter how good a guide is, the key is still patience. If people aren't willing to spend a few hours thinking this through, then no guide can really help that much.

Arsène

Yeah, I've actually used that very one you've posted for breeds. He's pretty thorough with what he's talking about too.

Status
Not open for further replies.