• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RNGing in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Ok i treid it and wow... it actually worked. I"ll probably use it on some shinies i dont want to take time hatching with MM, not all my POkemon.

EDIT: Shiny Karrablast, Lonely natured, All ivs o.e since i followed the guide on smogon

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I'm to old and lazy to even try to begin trying something like this. I'm happy with just breeding & Feathering/vitamin my Pokemon!

Arsène

Ok i treid it and wow... it actually worked. I"ll probably use it on some shinies i dont want to take time hatching with MM, not all my POkemon.

EDIT: Shiny Karrablast, Lonely natured, All ivs o.e since i followed the guide on smogon

And keep it up, practice makes perfect.

Arsène

Well i dont want to always rely on it for my shinies. I"ll only RNG those i dont want to wait for MM for. All the Pokemon i want to MM will BE MM'd only

Well for me, shinies are purely aesthetics. They don't really add much at all if I get one. But there are a select few I'd do to get RNG abused and shiny. (Zorua)

pokefantravis

The Poke-Pimp
You need to provide more info because RNG depends on a LOT of factors. Most importantly, what DS type are you using and what Method are you using? Also, what version of RNG Reporter are you using, and how are you timing it?

Well, I am using the non C-gear method, on a DS lite. I am also using the latest version of RNG reporter, and I am pretty sure of what I am doing, except for one thing, I used the first video link on Smogon, and at one point of the video, he mentioned hitting the times given a second earlier because of the one second differential between the time he pressed the button to start the game and the time it took to generate the seed for when he needed to get the IVs of a sweetscented pokemon. In the video, he was using an original DS, and I need to know if the differential applies to the DS Lite, because I think that is where my trouble may be, and I am not sure if the DS Lite generates the seed the instant I press the button to start it, or a second after I hit the button. Also, when I checked, there are no moving NPCs in B1F of Chargestone Cave. And one other thing, It only worked one time for reasons I am not sure of. And also, the time it gives me for a spread of 31/31/31/30/30/30 is "5/3/11: 14:30:11", and I have been hitting the time at "14:30:10" because of the said differential in the video, I am not sure if the version I am using, which is the most recent (9.77), subtracts the differential from the time that is given to avoid confusion, or if I still need to subtract the differential. Hopefully, this helps to clear things up.

Last edited:

pkmnfn

DW Breeder
Hello, I am a first time RNG'er and I was wondering if someone could guide me through it step-by-step. I looked at the smogon guide and I got really confused... I already have downloaded the RNG reporter and I've saved in front of the day-care guy. I'm hoping to get a shiny litwick. I don't have much to offer anyone who helps... PM me if you think you can help :)

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Which method did you use for your shiny?

First I tried out the C-gear method but it was so complicated for me I couldn't do it. I then did a standard one and that took me a little time as well but managed to finally understand it.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
What I don't get is how the external crap on the computer works. Do you sync your game to the program or something? And then it calculates your SID for you? How in the heck am I supposed to do this?

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
So after reading the videos Smogon link to I think I finally understand the concept of RNGing, and hopefully I'll try it sometime soon for the perfect Cottonee. :0

PokeMEN

PokeMEN Master
Personally I just hate RNG breeding...takes away from perfect pokes and shinies

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Personally I just hate RNG breeding...takes away from perfect pokes and shinies

I agree with you there. I'd rather MM for breeding if I want to get a shiny. For IVs, I already have parents with favorable IVs, so I simply need to do some creative breeding and voila! :)

Outside of breeding, RNGing is very useful. And after a few years of studying, I'm sure I'll start to be able to do it. :p

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
What I don't get is how the external crap on the computer works. Do you sync your game to the program or something? And then it calculates your SID for you? How in the heck am I supposed to do this?

Not at all. Your game never touches the program on your PC. You basically just get your ID# of your Pokemon game and the MAC address of your DS and type them into the program. The program then tells you exactly when to turn on your DS and the first thing you catch will be that high-IV and/or shiny Pokemon.
That's putting it a bit simply, but that's roughly all there is to it.

nahcmo

Retired Poké Chainer
Man, I regret catching every single legendary in this game when I first started playing. Now they have both crappy natures AND IV's, lol. :b

Hmmm, I still have Landorus though..

Arsène

Well you could always restart, but that may not necessarily be exciting.

I have RNG'd in my very first save file though, lol. Was quite easy to learn and my first capture was a flawless Hasty Zekrom.

nahcmo

Retired Poké Chainer
Yeah, I have a ton of stuff on my White game that would be a pain in the *** to move lol. Oh well, it's not like I can use them in the Battle Subway... but they still sure would make really nice trophies. :3

Arsène

Yeah, I have a ton of stuff on my White game that would be a pain in the *** to move lol. Oh well, it's not like I can use them in the Battle Subway... but they still sure would make really nice trophies. :3

-Cough- I know of a method of "transferring", so to speak.

||Caboose||

Precision.
I might just buy a original DS for a GBA slot and its easier to RNG abuse on it since I only have a 3DS and DSi XL.
Is there any other way to check the SID in older games without hacks (I'm restarting japanese platinum) because X-Acts PID - SID doesn't work and I keep getting a 404 error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.