• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

RNGing in Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
I get some gratification from the breeding/catching/training process but for me the real gratifying moment is when I win a battle with the pokemon and since better IVs gives me a better chance of winning a battle it is much more gratifying to RNG than to breed normally.

I haven't heard anything about the everstone shifting your starting PID. You are using a bold whimsicott with everstone? You should be able to tell what PID you are getting. The nature/ability/inheritance should match one of the PIDs between 40-60 (probably 46 or 47 if you are starting above 45). If you're getting anything higher than 45 with the everstone then you have to use a different seed.

I'm going to try a completely different seed.

So, does the "Nearby Shiny" column (shown in image one of my above post) have any affect on the odds of getting a low PIF frame (i.e. the lower the "Nearby Shiny" Column, the lower the possible PIF frame)? From what I can see it doesn't but I wasn't completely sure.

Thanks again, Jolteon.

jolteon135

I'm going to try a completely different seed.

So, does the "Nearby Shiny" column (shown in image one of my above post) have any affect on the odds of getting a low PIF frame (i.e. the lower the "Nearby Shiny" Column, the lower the possible PIF frame)? From what I can see it doesn't but I wasn't completely sure.

Thanks again, Jolteon.
No, the nearest shiny frame doesn't have any direct correlation to your shiny PID frames for breeding BW. The next version of RNG reporter will have a specialized search for shiny eggs.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
No, the nearest shiny frame doesn't have any direct correlation to your shiny PID frames for breeding BW. The next version of RNG reporter will have a specialized search for shiny eggs.

How so? Like, so you no longer have to copy/paste each seed and generate PIF frames individually? At this point, that's definitely the most annoying part of the whole process.

Speaking of which, if I don't find any convenient PIF frames, how can I opt for different seeds? Just change the month or the 3 IVs?

jolteon135

How so? Like, so you no longer have to copy/paste each seed and generate PIF frames individually? At this point, that's definitely the most annoying part of the whole process.

Speaking of which, if I don't find any convenient PIF frames, how can I opt for different seeds? Just change the month or the 3 IVs?
Yes, you won't have to manually copy/paste each seed to generate the correct PID frames anymore. Yes, changing the month or the 3 specified IVs is usually the easiest way.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
Yes, you won't have to manually copy/paste each seed to generate the correct PID frames anymore. Yes, changing the month or the 3 specified IVs is usually the easiest way.

Then I'll probably just hold off until v9.8 is out. The c/p is almost too tedious.

Thanks.

Casty

I'm going for a Timid HP Ice Tornadus soon.

1. Which ball should I catch it in?
2. What is the best "catcher" for roaming legends in B/W? I have a Crobat, but since Secret Power is no longer a TM it lacks a reliable status move (other than Toxic).

Poketmonsta0310

I got my flawless timid Victini X) I must not have been pressing right on the d-pad properly before as RNG reporter gave me the same time, date and button press and everything, so it wasnt a problem with the parameters.

jolteon135

RNG reporter 9.8 is out. I have finals though so no time to try out the shiny egg search. :(
I'm going for a Timid HP Ice Tornadus soon.

1. Which ball should I catch it in?
2. What is the best "catcher" for roaming legends in B/W? I have a Crobat, but since Secret Power is no longer a TM it lacks a reliable status move (other than Toxic).
1. Dusk Ball
2. Gallade. It can have mean look, false swipe and hypnosis/thunder wave.

Good luck. It's difficult to RNG the roamer's PID.

I got my flawless timid Victini X) I must not have been pressing right on the d-pad properly before as RNG reporter gave me the same time, date and button press and everything, so it wasnt a problem with the parameters.
Congrats!

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
RNG reporter 9.8 is out.

Awesome! I just updated my version.

I still fail to see the difference, though. I have the "Nearby Shiny" box in Time Finder checked and have generated IVRNG seeds (there are only about 4). Once copy/pasted into the Seed (Hex) I still get unreasonable PIFs. I thought the purpose of the update was to make it so I wouldn't have to c/p, and would recieve only PIFs with pa/pa/pa/x/x/x inheritence (when I'm searching for a x/x/x/31/31/31 Gift Pokemon in Time Finder). Maybe I read too deeply into my expectations. That, or I'm skipping over some vital shortcut.

jolteon135

Awesome! I just updated my version.

I still fail to see the difference, though. I have the "Nearby Shiny" box in Time Finder checked and have generated IVRNG seeds (there are only about 4). Once copy/pasted into the Seed (Hex) I still get unreasonable PIFs. I thought the purpose of the update was to make it so I wouldn't have to c/p, and would recieve only PIFs with pa/pa/pa/x/x/x inheritence (when I'm searching for a x/x/x/31/31/31 Gift Pokemon in Time Finder). Maybe I read too deeply into my expectations. That, or I'm skipping over some vital shortcut.

Did you click the tab that says "4th/5th gen shiny egg?"

EDIT: Btw, remember to set your button presses to 2 or 3 from the "5th gen DS parameters Setup" tab.
EDIT2: Just tested out the shiny egg search. It's pretty awesome since you can specify the Parents' IVs and the IV spread you want and it'll only give you seeds with shiny PIDs that have the correct inheritance!
EDIT3: OK, the search takes forever to complete but I've gotten 8 usable results and it's less than 1/5 done so that's pretty good. You can just cancel the search once you find a usable result.

Last edited:

JamesRaynor

Honestly all this means is everyone's more on an even playing field, able to get the stats they want without having to put needless hours of work. Not everyone has the time or effort to put in all the hours it takes to hatch 500+ eggs without this method.

Shinepoke

uhhmmm YES!
EDIT: Btw, remember to set your button presses to 2 or 3 from the "5th gen DS parameters Setup" tab.

What does that do??

I need help with rnging for shiny eggs. I see this new version and am trying to do a shiny search and i keep getting 0 results. I have everything filled in and is breeding japanese ditto and american darumaka with everstone. I have it BW (international) and everstone nature turned to Jolly. Nothing else is filled in except for SID and ID and the parent's ivs...The iv's i am trying to get are set to none and it still isnt working.

jolteon135

What does that do??

I need help with rnging for shiny eggs. I see this new version and am trying to do a shiny search and i keep getting 0 results. I have everything filled in and is breeding japanese ditto and american darumaka with everstone. I have it BW (international) and everstone nature turned to Jolly. Nothing else is filled in except for SID and ID and the parent's ivs...The iv's i am trying to get are set to none and it still isnt working.
Can't really tell what you're doing wrong. If I have some time later, I'll do another search and post a screenshot of how I fill in the search parameters.
Setting the button presses gives you more results but you have to hold certain buttons to hit those seeds.

EDIT:
Not sure why you get no results if you have none selected for all your target IVs. You should get 100s of results instantly if they are all set to none.
Anyways, After searching again, I think I might know what the problem is. The shiny egg search is a very specific search because it uses the parent's IVs and tries to find a seed with a PID that can work with your parents. If your parents don't have close to the spread that you want, it'll take the search a long time to return a result. When I use 2 parents that each have 3-6 IVs from the spread that I want, I get results fairly quickly (10-15 minutes). If the parents have less than 3 IVs from the spread that I want it takes a long time. This means if you're aiming for something flawless/near flawless you might want to make sure both parents are at least triple flawless if you want fairly quick results.

Last edited:

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
Whoo boy xD

Okay, after my completely failed attempt to MM for a Shiny Vulpix with the DW ability.....I though maybe I could just figure out how to RNG, since I see nothing wrong with it unlike some folks. I must've read that guide to it in the link on the first post ten times, but maybe I should read it just a few hundred more times.

I just don't get it, at all. I might just give up on the shiny DW Vulpix in all, because with having two young children to take care of, I just don't have anymore time to hatch eggs.

Props to anyone who has figured out how to RNG properly. xD

jolteon135

Okay, after my completely failed attempt to MM for a Shiny Vulpix with the DW ability.....I though maybe I could just figure out how to RNG, since I see nothing wrong with it unlike some folks. I must've read that guide to it in the link on the first post ten times, but maybe I should read it just a few hundred more times.

I just don't get it, at all. I might just give up on the shiny DW Vulpix in all, because with having two young children to take care of, I just don't have anymore time to hatch eggs.

Props to anyone who has figured out how to RNG properly. xD

There are videos linked in the first 3 posts of the smogon guide. The videos are very helpful. It'd probably be pretty easy to get a shiny DW Vulpix via RNG if you don't care about IVs (especially with the new improved shiny egg search). See if you can set a couple hours aside and just follow the videos.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
I'll try, but I highly doubt I'll get it any time in the near or far future. I'm horrible at following directions lol

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
I know it isn't, but I'm just stupid, and I'll admit that kinda thing. x3 Math is my absolute weakest point.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Can someone comment on how much harder it is to RNG in 4th gen? Im thinking about trying to get some flawless legendaries over the summer. a brief description will do

Status
Not open for further replies.