1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Roboticide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Eternalserenity, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

I was looking over the Cleverbot thread and I got to thinking...
    Artificial intelligence has come a long way from when the first computer was built. Programs like Cleverbot are now capable of holding human conversations and others are even able to play Jeopardy quite well. If this pattern of progress continues, it won't be long before artificial intelligence will be capable of expressing complex emotions and even mimicking the human mind completely.

Would it then would be considered ethical (morally or religiously) to terminate a computer program or a robot if it had a "soul"?

2. GrizzlyB

GrizzlyB Confused and Dazed

Robots don't have "soul"s.

3. Victory

Victory Banned

Robots will always be artificial... technology will never go as far as making a soul out a metal bits

4. Gelatino95

Gelatino95 Not a tool

Robots don't have souls. They're just programs that do what they do because somebody programmed them that way. Terminating a computer program is equivalent to turning off your DS, and I'm sure you do that several times each day.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

One: Soul don't exist.

Two: Unlike a human we could in theory save the robot mind map onto a disk and upload it to a new robot.

Three you cannot bring religion in to topic like this as it cannot be applied to a robot life.

Four: No matter how advance a robot becomes it will never reach same level as human. I.e Human grow old and died, a robot on the other hand doesn't.

6. ShadowKyogre443

ShadowKyogre443 오션 마스터

i wouldn't care about terminating a robot, because it isn't an animal or human
    interesting contradiction there
    souls are considered religious items, so you also brought up religion in this topic
    just saying

7. iCakeify

iCakeify Luxray Fanboy

I kinda think Cleverbot not really is a real robot, just an anonymus random dating chat site.

8. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I have more of the religious belief that souls are the aftereffect of an intelligent being. In other words, God would create us (by constructing a universe), but the soul is the result of logic and emotions.

If we made a robot/android with the likes of Bender or Mr. EAD, then perhaps they would develop their own soul.

Weird beliefs aside, I think if we actually got robots to that level, they should be treated well ethically and legally.

Besides, remember what poor ROB in the SSE. :(

9. AzukanAsimbu

AzukanAsimbu Petal Paladin

Robots rely on alcohol.

Humans don't.

Oh wait....hmmm...

maybe we arn't so different.

But seriously, I dont think a robot mind would be able to do anything even if it did achieve existential thought

10. Auraninja

Porygon2 said hi.

However, if the thoughts were running in the robot and directing actions to its physical frame, well, that's theoretical stuff anyway.

11. Moneyy

Moneyy WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Robots aren't humans, and shouldn't be treated as such.

12. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

I only brought up because the OP wrote that. None of the religious would have the answer for this because as I have point out earlier a robot can't really die. Sure their body can fall apart but they simply transfer their mind into a new body, were we can't.

Now you could say but what about if the robot mind get corrupted or deleted. Well we would keep back up and the way we store data on to the cloud who to say that we can't do this for the robot's mind.

13. GrassTypes.

GrassTypes. Well-Known Member

If I robot can get Trillions of cells like human beings, I'll reconsider, until then No!

14. Lil Crickee

Lil Crickee Banned

who remembers Smarter Child?

he was terminated. :(

15. UltimatePokemonExpert

UltimatePokemonExpert Experienced Trainer

No matter how advanced a machine can get, it can not have a soul. A soul is something that belongs to only humans, angels, demons, nephlim, etc. So no, I wouldn't feel bad about destroying a machine if it tried to hurt me.

16. Auraninja

How would you know?

If heaven exists, it would be ideal.
    If it was ideal, it would be fair.
    If it was fair, everything would be on equal grounds.
    If it was on equal grounds, then it would house every emotional being.
    If it would house every emotional being, that would include animals and possibly robots.
    If it would include animals (and robots maybe), then they would have to have a soul intact.

I think that souls are more of the "essence of a living thing". It is not stoic by nature. Even in a secular sense, we have souls that would take the definiton of the embodiment of ourselves and our personalities. I think of it more as a simultaneous byproduct of our emotional and rational being.

17. Spidey

Spidey ?!

Artificial intelligence is just that: artificial.

A robot is just a robot. Every single action that it's ever done or will perform has been preprogrammed onto its hardrive so it can do said action. There's not a robot I know of that can learn or adapt like we can.

This adaption and ability to learn is what essentially makes us humans, because it allows us to apply things like morality into subjects. But with a robot, it doesn't have that ability; it doesn't have morality.

It's, in a sense, not even fair to apply a concept such as ethics to a machine, because it's not on that plateau.

18. Auraninja

Artificial Intelligence does not necessarily mean that it is incapable of emotion or morality. Porygon2 (stick with me here) is said to have AI beyond its programming. The not so famous QQQ from F-Zero GX (still stick with me) has cutting edge AI, and exhibits emotions. By their definitions, AI can mean more than what has been programmed.

We're really talking about hypothetical stuff anyway. How would we know?

19. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

Let's remember Porygon2 actually does not exist, and un-programmed emotion will not happen. Why? Since these things are made of metal, skin and bones. They won't have cells to adapt to feel that as we do.

I'm not religious, but how would we make a robot to think like us? I don't think we know enough to create an actual brain. Maybe it can be programmed to act like it has emotions, but inside, it wouldn't be feeling anything, or getting urges like we do. It would just be doing what it's program tells it to do. Just a wobble of wires commanding it to move or make certain noises depending on what happens.
    No it isn't. It learns from what people tell it.

20. It seems to me that some of you don't know what AI actually is. It collects data on what happens, then adjusts itself to the new reality. A chess computer looks ahead into thousands of possible combinations, then chooses the best move. It then records it and how well it does for later matches.

Don't take the word "intelligence" too seriously. They aren't intelligent, they just learn from their mistakes. They don't feel emotion, they don't have thoughts or feelings, and they don't have an opinion or mind. They just follow their commands.