• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Roboticide

Life and "Souls" are different in my eyes. I don't believe in a "life source".

All the cells in my body combined make me. The ones in my brain make me feel emotions to temp me to make certain actions. My lungs and intestines supply energy to my blood. My blood gives this energy to the cells. Each little cell is alive, on their own, they'd have to collect it themselves, but together, they can collect it like this. My body is a complicated system of cells working together to stay alive.

Yes now explain to me how this relates to artifial intelligence and the life or soul of robots....it doesn't because they have none.

Zachmac

Yes now explain to me how this relates to artifial intelligence and the life or soul of robots....it doesn't because they have none.
You wanted to know how one could live without a soul.

I don't think of a soul as life source. Soul describes a creature having emotions and thoughts of their own. AI is pretending and acting like it can, but isn't really. However, it probably is possible to make ones that think on their own, that's what our brains are. As I said, we'd probably be dead by then(the brain isn't exactly simple), but it probably still is possible.

Ace Trainer Nick

Veteran Ace Trainer
Yes they can. But they live/work for their purpose either it's pick up a ball to defusing a bomb. Ik how they can act up it's something of the inevitable. So they want a soul/heart can you blame them?

Aquanova

The machines wouldnt have souls.Artificial Intelligence is just that,artificial,not real. They might beable to mimic human emotions, but those emotions are not actually real because the robot was programmed to do this. A robot dosent have a soul and is not alive. Its a machine. So no I wouldnt feel bad about terminating it like I would if it were a living thing.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I believe all this soul business is a bit daft but whatever.

Building a robot so complex as to be considered sentient would be very difficult. So difficult, in fact, that if we actually somehow manage to build one, then we probably deserve all the moral dillemas that come with it.

Would it be immoral to kill a sentient robot? Who cares, don't build one. Problem solved.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think that AI is sort of like a spectrum. You can have a really basic level where the computer tries to think of actions not originally programmed, or it can be a very advance level where it can be capable of actual thought and emotion. The later part of the spectrum is theoretical. Science fiction has referred to the later part of the spectrum as an advance AI. However, could we ever achieve it in real life?

Grey Wind

If I punch my toaster will it cry? No
If I attach a brain to my toaster, then punch it...will it cry then? NO!
Well no, your toaster won't cry because it wouldn't fit any of the specifics described in this thread.

Souls and Life are things that don't need to be proven, you know they exist just like air.
..?
Are you actually saying that you don't need to prove the existence of a soul. That's ridiculous, of course you need to prove it. You can't just say it's there, with no proof.

And even if you don't believe in a soul, then explain to me how something can live with no life....
Um, what?

Souls =/= life. Just because a person doesn't believe in souls doesn't mean they're saying something can live with no life. I've got no idea where you're getting this from.

On the topic at hand, I'm honestly not sure. If a robot truly did have feelings akin to a human, then yes, it would be wrong. If the hypothetical robot is only intelligent, then no.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
I think that robots should not have emotions nor should they have the ability to control important devises, else we encounter a robot takeover.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I think that robots should not have emotions nor should they have the ability to control important devises, else we encounter a robot takeover.

Humans have emotions and the ability to control important devices. You're not afraid of them?

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Humans have emotions and the ability to control important devices. You're not afraid of them?

I am afraid of them, but robots with those abilities are basically the same thing but more dangerous because robots are that much more durable than humans.

Were already good enough at f***ing our prospects, we don't need robots to help us there.

DragonKingUS

DragonKingUS
ok weird i never seen a robot with a soul and if i did would it be human well kind of human

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Who said this supposed AI isn't merely programmed to respond as a human might, and actually feels what we do?