• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock on SPPf!

RobertStyx

Mr. Roboto, Heavy Water, Come Sail Away, Everything is Cool, and Miss America, to name a few.

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to check them out in a minute!

Scubasteve23 said:
Not even close to creative criticism, just attempts to belittle another person. Once again, when you are a band starting off, you don't completely change a world famous song. And you do an awful job at helping others.

Oh really? If I wanted to belittle you, I could do oh so much more.
I never said completely change it! I said to put your own touch on it, you're own interpretation, make it your own. Right now, you're emulating it, and you look and sound like Pink Floyd wannabes, like rip-offs. If you're going to play in a cover band, go for it, but that is the only time that it is acceptable.
Really, give me some GOOD reasons not to make the song your own!
If I do such a bad job at helping people, why was my criticisms always valued on music forums? You know why it was? I'm blunt. I don't sugar coat things, so you can hear what you want to hear. I tell you exactly what I think is wrong with it.
You want some praise? Fine, I went back and listened to it again. You're guitar tone is really nice, and you're drummer fantastic. Though, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to be harsh again. You should invest in a way to get some quality recordings. USB interfaces are pretty cheap, should be able to get one to record a whole band for a couple hundred dollars.

I'm sorry, but that's the closest you're going to get to me getting down on my knees and sucking your e-Penis like you clearly wanted when you posted that here.

Scubasteve23

Dath Scuba
Thank you very much! I'll be sure to check them out in a minute!

Oh really? If I wanted to belittle you, I could do oh so much more.
I never said completely change it! I said to put your own touch on it, you're own interpretation, make it your own. Right now, you're emulating it, and you look and sound like Pink Floyd wannabes, like rip-offs. If you're going to play in a cover band, go for it, but that is the only time that it is acceptable.
Really, give me some GOOD reasons not to make the song your own!
If I do such a bad job at helping people, why was my criticisms always valued on music forums? You know why it was? I'm blunt. I don't sugar coat things, so you can hear what you want to hear. I tell you exactly what I think is wrong with it.
You want some praise? Fine, I went back and listened to it again. You're guitar tone is really nice, and you're drummer fantastic. Though, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to be harsh again. You should invest in a way to get some quality recordings. USB interfaces are pretty cheap, should be able to get one to record a whole band for a couple hundred dollars.

I'm sorry, but that's the closest you're going to get to me getting down on my knees and sucking your e-Penis like you clearly wanted when you posted that here.

First off, you're not blunt, you're a dick. Second, it was a video I had to record in one day to send as an audition to play at a festival and I got the gig because "I stayed true to the song". I recorded it with my brothers Iflip because I had one day to do it. I have ProTools and an Mbox, 800 dollars worth of recording ****. If I was to completely change the song for an audition, the guy would have been confused with what I was trying to do and wouldn't have gotten the gig. At the festival, we closed with Another Brick in the Wall and did it the exact same as I did it in that video but with a different guitar solo because I improvise my solos. The owner of a popular venue in my city said he loved it and asked for us to play at his venue. The bassist of the band that played before us said they wanted us to play with them when they start touring around Illinois. For the 4th time now, when little bands cover a song, they basically have to stick with what it sounds like so that people know what they're doing. And I honestly find it hard to believe that you are in fact a good musician, or even a musician at all...

Last edited:

emogirl

Panda-chan.
Okay, small bands sometimes do need to stay similar to the original song when doing covers. Personally, even when a well-known band covers a song and changes it a lot, IMO they usually suck pretty badly. I like his cover, and think if he had done too much different to it, it probably would've sounded pretty damn horrible, even if it was more original.

RobertStyx

First off, you're not blunt, you're a dick.

Whatever, if that's what you think of me 'cause you can't take criticism. I honestly couldn't give a rats ***.

Second, it was a video I had to record in one day to send as an audition to play at a festival and I got the gig because "I stayed true to the song". I recorded it with my brothers Iflip because I had one day to do it. I have ProTools and an Mbox, 800 dollars worth of recording ****.

Never leave things to the last minute. This isn't just a tip musically, but for every thing in life. Out come of leaving things is usually poor. I unfortunately have learnt that lesson several times.
Also, there's no way I could have known you had proper equipment from that video, as it was clearly not recorded with it, as you've said.

If I was to completely change the song for an audition, the guy would have been confused with what I was trying to do and wouldn't have gotten the gig. At the festival, we closed with Another Brick in the Wall and did it the exact same as I did it in that video but with a different guitar solo because I improvise my solos. The owner of a popular venue in my city said he loved it and asked for us to play at his venue. The bassist of the band that played before us said they wanted us to play with them when they start touring around Illinois. For the 4th time now, when little bands cover a song, they basically have to stick with what it sounds like so that people know what they're doing.

For the third or fourth ****ing time, I never said to completely change the song! Seriously, point me to where I said to completely change it! Putting your own touch on it and completely changing it are not the same.
And people will be confused what you're doing? ********! People aren't that stupid. If you play the song, people will recognize it, regardless. If any thing, you'll be more respected for having the balls to put your own touch on it.
In my opinion, it's not a good idea for beginning bands to do covers at all, but hey, my opinion is so clearly wrong isn't it?

Ah well. I'm gonna take the moral high road and drop this here. It's clearly not going any where.
Good night sir.

Scubasteve23

Dath Scuba
Whatever, if that's what you think of me 'cause you can't take criticism. I honestly couldn't give a rats ***.

Never leave things to the last minute. This isn't just a tip musically, but for every thing in life. Out come of leaving things is usually poor. I unfortunately have learnt that lesson several times.
Also, there's no way I could have known you had proper equipment from that video, as it was clearly not recorded with it, as you've said.

For the third or fourth ****ing time, I never said to completely change the song! Seriously, point me to where I said to completely change it! Putting your own touch on it and completely changing it are not the same.
And people will be confused what you're doing? ********! People aren't that stupid. If you play the song, people will recognize it, regardless. If any thing, you'll be more respected for having the balls to put your own touch on it.
In my opinion, it's not a good idea for beginning bands to do covers at all, but hey, my opinion is so clearly wrong isn't it?

Ah well. I'm gonna take the moral high road and drop this here. It's clearly not going any where.
Good night sir.

When I contacted the guy about the gig, he asked if we could send him a video of us playing that day. And since this band is new, we had no videos. I therefore had to make a video that day and send it to him. I have a new laptop and therefore haven't had time to install ProTools.

20 years on saturday since Nevermind was released. Cobain would be almost fifty nowadays.

Priceless

**** this, i'm out
How about we all stop whining for a second and consider that seeing that they're a new and relatively beginner band, they're actually really good?

SS man, you should consider writing your own stuff. Cover bands aren't as interesting, I find.

Scubasteve23

Dath Scuba
How about we all stop whining for a second and consider that seeing that they're a new and relatively beginner band, they're actually really good?

SS man, you should consider writing your own stuff. Cover bands aren't as interesting, I find.

We do have a lot of our own stuff. Just everyone in my band loves that song so we wanted to play it lol

going to give Killing Joke's s/t another shot again tonight, unless anyone wants to tell me another album in their discography.
criticism = whining
being new = exempt from criticism and held on a lower standard

lol

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I'm going to assume that comment was aimed at me. Yes, I have been in a band, and I'm currently working on my own solo project as well.

I never said you should completely change it, I said you should put your own touch and interpretation onto it. If you're gong to emulate it, why should any one want to listen to it? With out that personal touch, it's going to sound boring, and not compare at all to the original, which will be SO much better than the cover.
I understand your perspective Robert, but I have to disagree somewhat. Sure there are times when a cover can benefit from a new spin (Smooth Criminal/Alien Antfarm), then there is the cover that only has a hint of a change (Turn the Page/Metallica), Then there is the cover that blows the original out of the water (Shear Heart Attack/Metallica). Then there is the near note for note reproduction that is so awesome when you are in a bar you feel you're listening to the original artist (Freeway Jams/The Blues Airmen or Cold as Ice/50 Amp Fuse) without the $150 per seat gouging. They all have their place and are all just as valid as the next.

So there are quite a few different opinions/styles when it comes to "cover songs" and all of them are valid, so long as the band sounds good doing it.

Last edited:

Priceless

**** this, i'm out
We do have a lot of our own stuff. Just everyone in my band loves that song so we wanted to play it lol

Oh, okay =P you should show us soe of your original stuff sometime

Well good luck with the gig and I bet you guys'll get big :)

Hell, when I reform my band I might cover that song...haha

Scubasteve23

Dath Scuba
Oh, okay =P you should show us soe of your original stuff sometime

Well good luck with the gig and I bet you guys'll get big :)

Hell, when I reform my band I might cover that song...haha

Haha it's a great song to play and it's fun. And next time we practice, I'll record one of the Blues songs I wrote. And we already played at the festival. It went great and we got a lot of really cool offers.

Priceless

**** this, i'm out
Haha it's a great song to play and it's fun. And next time we practice, I'll record one of the Blues songs I wrote. And we already played at the festival. It went great and we got a lot of really cool offers.

Niice one :)
Any record deals or anything?

Okay :) You guys should record like an EP or something...you guys remind me I need to reform my band XD

Anyway.........
Anyone heard of a band called Dangerous!? They're really, really obscure, but they're really good.

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
^ Nope, and my phone can't load the vid so I'll listen once I'll get on my laptop.

On the subject of obscure bands, there are a few 80s rock bands that I think didn't really get the same recognition as other 80s bands: Autograph, Faster Pussycat and Tesla. Autograph is probably the least known of those three bands, but they're all great to listen to (especially Tesla's acoustic guitar songs).

Scubasteve23

Dath Scuba
Unfortunately it is. Since all these crappy new songs have swept the hearts of the brain dead generation of today, rock is become lost in the shadows. I don't think it will ever die though.