• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock on SPPf!

Rave

Banned
The songs Korn did with Skrillex were actually pretty good. Narcissistic Cannibal's my favourite!

That just sounds so disgusting... I can't even....

But yeah, Black Keys are coo.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
I was going to post here.....then I saw there was a lot of debate about what constitutes metal on the first few pages of this thread.....and so it seems it's important that you talk about rock in the rock thread and metal in the metal thread and so on. Well, I'm going to be completely blunt here - I haven't the foggiest what actually consitutes 'rock'. I know what music I like and I know what music I don't but I wouldn't be able to name what genre they all were if my life depended on it. I haven't paid attention to genres for the last 7 or 8 years because nowadays it seems like every band has created it's own genre whether it's a hybrid genre that combines two re-existing ones or something completely new. So, I have a few questions.

1. What is your definition of 'rock' music?
2. Do you bother to keep up with what different genres actually are and which bands are which genres? If so, how do you stay on top of them all?
3. What about bands that start off one genre and gradually become another?
4. Can someone tell me which of the bands in the picture beneath are considered rock (if any/many), what type of rock they may be considered as, and if that means they can be talked about here (if you can't talk about metalcore in the metal thread then god knows what you can actually talk about here- it seems there are genres with rock in the name that aren't considered rock and genres that don't have rock in the name that ARE considered rock...)?

Picture of the artists currently on my itunes....note that there are a LOT of bands I like but haven't gotten around to downloading/buying and similarly, there are a few bands in there which I don't really like that much but have kept around anyways so this isn't massively reflective of my adctual music tastes....however, it's a start.

music.jpg

Rezzo

Occasionally
Wow it's been a while since anyone posted about any rock in here.

Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day live album is absolutely brilliant. I'm still listening to it now for the first time, and Stairway to Heaven and No Quarter really stand out to me as the best moments. It's brilliant to hear Plant sing so differently to how he did in his recording days, but still so well.

Picture of the artists currently on my itunes....note that there are a LOT of bands I like but haven't gotten around to downloading/buying and similarly, there are a few bands in there which I don't really like that much but have kept around anyways so this isn't massively reflective of my adctual music tastes....however, it's a start.

Not enough Radiohead. Saying that, Radiohead are essential to everyone's music library, okay.

Last edited:

jshizzlex6661

Sick Of Natures
Not enough Radiohead. Saying that, Radiohead are essential to everyone's music library, okay.

Thankyou! If someone doesn't like Radiohead, they're not trying hard enough.

On the subject of Rock, check my sig ;)

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
Holy moley guys. In the past month I have just gotten into Porcupine Tree. They are a band from the 80s and are still active, they started out with Pink Floyd style stuff and have moved into more Prog and almost Metal... They are AMAZING. Every single song by them stands out to me. Just saying, since they aren't that well known and I want more people to listen to them.

Best 12 minutes of my month.

Klizcool

GARBAGE DAY?!?!
I loves me some Pink Floyd. I own every album, in duplicate, including some bootleg stuff I got from my parents. I have more Pink Floyd shirts than you can count with your fingers. I also have a Pink Floyd throw blanket. I enjoy their psycodelic rock stylings. It's just something that they make so easy, yet no one that. Really know of has ever tried to replicate. Their concerts were magnificent shows that were a feast for both the eyes and the ears.

The one problem with describing Pink Floyd to kid these days is that Pink Floyd has no real way to define them. They have done so many different things over the years that they are near impossible to place on a single genre. It's safe to say tha their is a Pink Floyd song for everybody.

I also like Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, and Van Halen as well.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I haven't heard a ton of Pink Floyd but everything I've heard from them I've loved. I'll be honest, they are one of the few classic rock bands that I really enjoy listening to. I can't stand the Rolling Stones and U2 is even worse.

Rezzo

Occasionally
The one problem with describing Pink Floyd to kid these days is that Pink Floyd has no real way to define them. They have done so many different things over the years that they are near impossible to place on a single genre. It's safe to say tha their is a Pink Floyd song for everybody.

progressive rock

Fenix

Tremulant
Holy moley guys. In the past month I have just gotten into Porcupine Tree. They are a band from the 80s and are still active, they started out with Pink Floyd style stuff and have moved into more Prog and almost Metal... They are AMAZING. Every single song by them stands out to me. Just saying, since they aren't that well known and I want more people to listen to them.

Best 12 minutes of my month.
Man this reminds me of when I was discovering PT, and I totally know how you feel. Such an amazing band and so many records. moot is the resident PT expert so I dont want to step on his toes, but how would you rank their albums you've listened to so far? My favourites are The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun I think.

Also, Pink Floyd is amazing. And I'm glad we all agree that Radiohead is basically the best band ever,

Zazie

So 1991
And I'm glad we all agree that Radiohead is basically the best band ever,

I am not trying to bash the band or anything, but I totally disagree. Feel free to try and change my mind.

I have recently been on a late 80s alternative metal kick, mostly Living Colour and early Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd forgotten how awesome the subegenres was before Nu-Metal and post-grunge got popular. Living Colour particularly caught my fancy as I just realized they sometimes vaguely sound like a harder version of Culture Club and that makes me want to start a band exploring that kind of sound combo.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I am not trying to bash the band or anything, but I totally disagree. Feel free to try and change my mind.

^

I have recently been on a late 80s alternative metal kick, mostly Living Colour and early Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd forgotten how awesome the subegenres was before Nu-Metal and post-grunge got popular. Living Colour particularly caught my fancy as I just realized they sometimes vaguely sound like a harder version of Culture Club and that makes me want to start a band exploring that kind of sound combo.

Living Colour are pretty awesome, honestly. Time's Up is a pretty serious candidate for my favorite album from 1990, and Vivid's quite solid too -- the rest are a bit scattershot.

Uh, I think it's broken there's no Metallica there.

I think there are many other reasons why it's broken. But yes, at least get, if only for a while, ...And Justice for All or Master of Puppets.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
Man this reminds me of when I was discovering PT, and I totally know how you feel. Such an amazing band and so many records. moot is the resident PT expert so I dont want to step on his toes, but how would you rank their albums you've listened to so far? My favourites are The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun I think.

Also, Pink Floyd is amazing. And I'm glad we all agree that Radiohead is basically the best band ever,

I only own Deadwing, and I love it. Halo is the only song I'm not crazy about. But every single other song by them has captivated me. Russia on Ice, The Sky Moves Sideways, Stars Die, Voyage 34 (all forty-something minutes of it but part 2 is my favorite), Radioactive Toy, and almost everything else. I'm really pissed that so much of their older stuff isn't on itunes (I refuse to torrent stuff) but I might go see if I can find one of their cds.

Definitely considering Lightbulb Sun.

Zazie

So 1991
Living Colour are pretty awesome, honestly. Time's Up is a pretty serious candidate for my favorite album from 1990, and Vivid's quite solid too -- the rest are a bit scattershot.

I actually saw a cassette of Times Up for 50 cents at a goodwill a few weeks ago. I was tempted to buy it until I realized that it was most likely really worn out.

I never got much into Metallica. Most of the tracks from Kill Em All were pretty good, but I don't care much for most of their other stuff except their softer songs. For some reason harder metal bands tend to sound really good when they mellow out for a song or two.

Rezzo

Occasionally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEzcmlIi2k&feature=related

They're great but imo Metallica is their best album overall.

no no no, Ride the Lightning. Metallica was a little generic, but still very good. It was also the first album I ever owned.

I never got much into Metallica. Most of the tracks from Kill Em All were pretty good, but I don't care much for most of their other stuff except their softer songs. For some reason harder metal bands tend to sound really good when they mellow out for a song or two.

Yeah Metallica have a few decent soft songs. I actually prefer most of Load to most of their other albums for that reason.

Last edited:

Fenix

Tremulant
Nah, if this was like, 2-3 years ago I might have tried, back then I loved getting into long-winded discussions like that. "Best band" is mostly meaningless anyway.
I suggest looking up The Mars Volta. Awesome song by them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphZtpafdKY

As one of the top comments says: Led Zeppelin + King Crimson + Santana.
That comparison is close, but nah. They're far too unique. And they are also coincidentally my 2nd favourite band (and occupy 66% of my signature banner.)