• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Rock taking over rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Boi

Bitter Twist
I could care less. Other than that, I don't see it happening, yet. Commercial rappers are willing to and will do anything to grab your attention so long as it rakes in mo' money, mo' money and mo' money. Rock bands have a good formula to their sound structure and more people should recognize that. So long as it leaves "artists" such as Soulja Boy in the gutter. He's already making enough through youtube.

Yeah, I like arguing about pointless shit too. C:

-Nolij

Last edited:
Here's how I see it. Every decade had it's genre. 70s were stoner rock, 80's was glam, 90s was nu metal, 00s was rap. By 2011 or so rap wil fade back into obscurity and a new genre will entertain us. And with the sudden rise of it, I can see techno as a whole coming into mainstream.

Cyan

Mortal
Here's how I see it. Every decade had it's genre. 70s were stoner rock, 80's was glam, 90s was nu metal, 00s was rap. By 2011 or so rap wil fade back into obscurity and a new genre will entertain us. And with the sudden rise of it, I can see techno as a whole coming into mainstream.

No, no, the 70s were Disco.

D-Boi

Bitter Twist
What the hell is a stoner rock? Second, Funk had the 70s on lock. Third, Techno has already been over exaggerated through commercial Rap. For that to become a mainstream epidemic "as a whole" would only cause young'ns to revert very quickly.(Unless you live in Denmark that is.) Or unless the head honchos of the big three music broadcasting stations for television grow a flickering brain and change their promo directions.

And another thing, I chuckle at you guys bringing up Hip Hop being "talking over a repetitive beat" as if it's something to frown upon. Funk had repetitiveness in the genre. So did Soul. So did Jazz to an extent. And so did Reggae/Roots and Blues music. And yes, to an extent, so does Rock/Metal in general have it's repetitiveness. The bold being the biggest, if not the only influences to helping launch Hip Hop into the brilliant music genre it is. Why shouldn't Hip Hop have it's repetitive aspects in its sound?

Back then when Samplers were non existent, the only performances we could do was get a DJ to spin two vinyls; measuring to find a good length of straight breakbeats for the MC to spit rhymes over(off the top of his head mind you). Why two vinyls? Once one length of breaks is reaching an end, the Jockey switches to the next vinyl(that has to be the same for the whole thing to work) to play the same measurement. Back and forth, this was the main reason why we bring in our repetitiveness still to this day. It's a standard. Dishing down on us about this is like dishing down on Soul music because it's all so emotional. :/

Besides, if the beat knocks. Then the beat knocks. End of story.
-Nolij

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
No, I don't think that rock is taking over rap, but rock is 5 times more better than rap, and rap is getting overrated.

Um. Rock mixing with rap is not new by any means. I mean, the Clash did it on the Magnificient Seven. :/ I don't think either rock or rap are dead by any means, or that Classic Rock is better than modern Rock. The issue is, something that can truely be called innovative and groundbreaking is hard to come by in music these days, and that's only because so much has been done before. Even so, good songwriting is more important than innovation i think, and I'd personally take Kid A over The Velvet Underground and Nico any day.

Falthor

The Magma Incarnate
As Flaming Lip stated, "Rock mixing with rap is not new by any means." If I recall correctly, Run-DMC, what is considered to be the greatest hip-hop group of all time, became an instant-classic group with their single "Walk This Way." This single incorporated a popular rock song at the time, and the group managed to take off using that song. Lately, the trend in hip-hop music is to sample classic melodies from 80's rock, pop, and other hip-hop songs. I, as an avid music listener who enjoys all genres of music, personally believe that this is a step in the right direction for all music: using the past to create the future. It is the essence of history quintessentially taking its literal roots in music.

Cyan

Mortal
Common sense is dead.
And we shall miss him.
As Flaming Lip stated, "Rock mixing with rap is not new by any means." If I recall correctly, Run-DMC, what is considered to be the greatest hip-hop group of all time, became an instant-classic group with their single "Walk This Way." This single incorporated a popular rock song at the time, and the group managed to take off using that song. Lately, the trend in hip-hop music is to sample classic melodies from 80's rock, pop, and other hip-hop songs. I, as an avid music listener who enjoys all genres of music, personally believe that this is a step in the right direction for all music: using the past to create the future. It is the essence of history quintessentially taking its literal roots in music.

Never mind, Common Sense lives on!

klubkj

Lil Wayne is making a rock CD called Rebirth, but it doesn't mean he's going to become a rock artist. he'll go back to rap and work on the Carter IV.

mangaeyes

Lil Wayne is recording his new album with help from Fall Out Boy and Avril Lavigne to give it a rock vibe...I think its just these repetitive rap-RnB-whatever singers trying to do some deep and meaningful stuff when 90% of it is just about a girl or about violence. But yes rock is extremely abused. Disney desperately try to label the Jonas Brothers as rock and it makes me die inside.

If you want to hear a sort of alternative rap-rock type vibe in a song then check out Flobots, they're pretty cool.

No. Just no. Musicians are abusing the word 'rock' these days. Just look at that hunk of shit 'Camp Rock'.

It actually makes me sick.

/thread

Rock and rap together is nothing new. Look at the Red Hot Chili Peppers for an example, or if you want even older with use of rap music too (not just rap singing), cf. Run-DMC's cover of "Walk This Way."

Ok so your logic is that just because you cannot understand them its crap :/
By that logic one could argue that rock is rubbish because its mostly just noise and cannot understand them.

My question to those goons who argue that: can you seriously not understand this? This is back in the days of rock as I understand it. 'Modern rock' is impossible to understand, but not because of 'noise' or anything like that. Most of the newer bands seem to be grounded heavily in the nu-metal approach anyhow.

P.S. "can't understant = crap" is a load of ****. I listen to Rammstein, etc. and can't make out a ****ing word without translations. I have a band who sings entirely in a made-up language, and they are, in fact, one of the best and most interesting things ever. (And no, they're not Sigur Ros. Compared to this band, Sigur Ros is a speck o'...)

How ironic. And you spelled great, classic, Led Zepplin and AC/DC wrong.

And you spelled Led Zeppelin wrong.

No, jazz had it's shot. Peruvian pan-flute music will be the next big thing, then klezmer.

How about zydeco neurofunk metal? That's what my future band's gonna do.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
No. Just no. Musicians are abusing the word 'rock' these days. Just look at that hunk of shit 'Camp Rock'.

It actually makes me sick.

Be just a little more dramatic. It's good for the kids. Anyone who considers Camp Rock to be mainstream music or anything other than a Disney channel movie needs to re think that. If anything the soundtrack is simply a soundtrack. It isn't Rock. Pop Rock maybe. Not Rock.

@cyan Dont worry, i'm fully aware of that, i was using it as a response to rap being non understandable.

This isn't Twitter. Don't do that. You can quote people. Its really easy actually.

I have no problem with Musical fusion. I've loved Linkin Park since High School. They are Nu Metal BTW. No Doubt is another example of a good band that fuses two styles of music. It's nothing new. Infact when a rap song has a rock sound to it, it actually makes it more enjoyable to me. I don't listen to rap much at all, except for a few random things and whatever Mike Shinoda does in LP. Kevin Rudolf is a great example of how musical fusion can work, be successful and sound good. That "Party like a rockstar" song from a few years back is a example of how it can fail.. horribly. In order for it to be successful I think it has to have the best things from both genres. Otherwise it is going to sound pretty awful to most people.

Anyway if rappers think that by incorporating rock music into their songs will help them then more power too them. Always nice to see people trying new things. If it sucks then it sucks and they move on, but if it works then they open up a whole new set of doors.

-;248;

What the hell is a stoner rock?

He probably means psychedelic rock, which, by the 70s, was a small or dead scene. "Stoner rock," as a genre name, refers to something that came about in the late 80s to early 90s with bands like Kyuss and Monster Magnet. The roots of the future "stoner rock" genre were established by 1971 (Master of Reality), but the genre itself did not exist. The 70s were more dominated by prog and punk anyway.

ForeverFlame

No. I think it's just a phase of some artists trying to seem original, or trying to expand their base. Or both.

Right now I think Pop Music is making a huge comeback from the 90's. If you turn on the television to MTV or something, what do you see? Repetitive, catchy, overrated songs by people like Rihanna, Katy Perry, and the new thing, Lady Gaga. Even Britney Spears is gaining a lot of attention lately. She hasn't been this popular since 1999 at least.

??????

That guy.
You fools are just now realizing that modern music is shit?

This is why I listen to classical.

Rock and Rap are both going down the drain these days.
Go Pop! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.